Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Soylent Pudding posted:

My takeaway is that Arizona, much like Florida, gets better the fewer humans are around.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Stravag posted:

Not hate?

Maybe just a little?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

TheWeedNumber posted:

Dear White People,

Why do you always wanna betray America? I’ve never heard of any black, Latin/Hispanic, or Asian person that has pulled a Benedict Arnold. And always for loving cheap. In this case free!

Sincerely,

Your local Paraguayan/Egyptian American.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ana_Montes posted:

Ana Belén Montes[1] (born February 28, 1957) is a former American senior analyst at the Defense Intelligence Agency in the United States who spied on behalf of the Cuban government for 17 years.[2] On September 21, 2001, Montes was arrested and subsequently charged with conspiracy to commit espionage for the government of Cuba. Montes pleaded guilty to spying and in October 2002, was sentenced to a 25-year prison term followed by five years' probation

and now you've heard of one :D.

Had an FBI dude come in and talk about how people get recruited to do espionage and he said they're all really cheap usually because they're either ideologically motivated or they're already in serious debt and need quick cash.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

"School shootings are a mental health issue not a 2A issue" - many GOP

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1575560855990591489?s=20&t=fl0adMCxpQw7KX0Q_7KBlw

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

That Works posted:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1575560855990591489?s=20&t=fl0adMCxpQw7KX0Q_7KBlw

Death cultists

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Grip it and rip it posted:

lol what a sanctimonious clown you are. How many people do you think live in these flood prone areas that don't have the financial security to up and leave?
Assistance to those without the financial security to up and move, both in the firm of direct payments and in making homes cheaper in lower risk areas is something so basic I thought it didn't need saying :shrug:

On the latter, this is stuff that really needs movement at the federal level. The states are adopting a sclerotic and piecemeal approach at best or actively making things worse.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That Works posted:

Whose the one person who voted for it?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Whose the one person who voted for it?

Brian Fitzpatrick (PA 1st)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

joat mon posted:

Brian Fitzpatrick (PA 1st)

Interesting, that’s actually my former rep, who the Republicans in Bucks County would constantly lose their poo poo about “him being a dirty liberal.”

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
also, evergreen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9FGRkqUdf8

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/adamkinzinger/status/1575630074547617792?s=46&t=LsF8FINKsbGmMpzOr7LDWw

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

ASAPI posted:

LA might be a bad example, I've always been critical of an area where two of its seasons are Firestorm and Mudslide.

I believe that we have made some incredibly stupid choices for city placement/planning all over the nation. We have a bunch of places that either require the next man made world wonder to be fixed or should just be abandoned entirely. Gulf Coast states tend to get picked on more because of the frequency we see them fail. At this point, the feds will be paying the Landlords of Florida leaving the actual residents high and dry.

What gets me is how these places are rebuilt/insured. We are now up to almost a major hurricane a year (is it more?) hitting Florida. The Federal gov insures this place against flooding, which we know will occur. From what I can see, any improved building codes don't seem to be making things more survivable. Where do we, as a nation, draw the line and say, "enough is enough".

I don't know the solution. I don't want forced relocations or anything like that. But we should have a plan in place that somehow either draws down these areas or we need to start on some kind of Great Work to save those places. Our method of rebuild and hope for the best doesn't work. All that does is displace renters from their homes.

I'm fine with keeping these places (hell, New Orleans is an awesome place), but if we want to keep them, we need to act like it.

A lot of this stuff is just because the world existed before codes were updated. Sure, you can't plan for 16' storm surges, but if you find me a critical building (IE: Hospital) in the Fort Meyers region that's been built in the last 20 years, I'm guessing it's still standing (I believe that ASCE 7 requires rating against 150mph at ground level there, but I don't have my pubs with me....I've had a long day.....just Chapter 23 if IIRC). IBC adopts ASCE 7 by reference.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

SquirrelyPSU posted:

A lot of this stuff is just because the world existed before codes were updated. Sure, you can't plan for 16' storm surges, but if you find me a critical building (IE: Hospital) in the Fort Meyers region that's been built in the last 20 years, I'm guessing it's still standing (I believe that ASCE 7 requires rating against 150mph at ground level there, but I don't have my pubs with me....I've had a long day.....just Chapter 23 if IIRC). IBC adopts ASCE 7 by reference.

Yeah Punta Gorda got a full seven feet of storm surge (in a quick googling) and:

https://twitter.com/YourWXJustin/status/1575472447314354181

The places that got wrecked and rebuilt by Hurricane Charley in 2004 appear to have held up a lot better than the places that didn't.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

There was a point a couple of pages ago about the FEMA buy-out system, and I guarantee that the cost in both time and money wouldn't be covered by the system. I can't speak to that particularly. What I can say, is don't try to build a new permanent structure in FEMA's 100 yr flood plain for....basically any creek or river that has a USGS monitoring station on it, which is very well mapped. Lawyers and a whole bunch of things that you don't want.

Soxorz
Aug 15, 2002
I sleep with the fishes
I'm working in the Fort Myers area as a paramedic and it's hit or miss on the damage around here (at least in the city not the islands obviously). Pretty sure my apartment is gonna be condemned, all my neighbors on the first floor had 6-7 ft of water inside. While my place on the second floor was fine I cant imagine them wanting to redo all the apartment on the first floor instead of tearing it down. Both water and power are gone and will probably not be up for weeks.

Thinking I will give it till Monday and see what the situation is and then decide if I am gonna abandon ship or stick it out. Only real thing keeping me here is nursing school but I can just restart that elsewhere.

Anyone have any idea on Florida laws in relationship to breaking a lease on an unlivable appartment?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Soxorz posted:

I'm working in the Fort Myers area as a paramedic and it's hit or miss on the damage around here (at least in the city not the islands obviously). Pretty sure my apartment is gonna be condemned, all my neighbors on the first floor had 6-7 ft of water inside. While my place on the second floor was fine I cant imagine them wanting to redo all the apartment on the first floor instead of tearing it down. Both water and power are gone and will probably not be up for weeks.

Thinking I will give it till Monday and see what the situation is and then decide if I am gonna abandon ship or stick it out. Only real thing keeping me here is nursing school but I can just restart that elsewhere.

Anyone have any idea on Florida laws in relationship to breaking a lease on an unlivable appartment?

When charley wrecked Orlando while I was still in school a few of my friends took the various payout money and hosed off back home to various parts of South Florida while the smartest one hosed off up to New England somewhere. So my guess is that if you opt to abandon ship - and I strongly encourage you to do so - I doubt you’ll have too many issues. But you may want to wait for the official documentation to be settled.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Soxorz posted:

Paging Mr. Nice to the thread, who I don't believe is in this area, but will have resources.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cugel the Clever posted:

Assistance to those without the financial security to up and move, both in the firm of direct payments and in making homes cheaper in lower risk areas is something so basic I thought it didn't need saying :shrug:

On the latter, this is stuff that really needs movement at the federal level. The states are adopting a sclerotic and piecemeal approach at best or actively making things worse.

Why not just fix climate change if we're going to discuss policy that is absolutely divorced from political possibility?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Who are buying places on prime beaches and not paying cash? No mortgage, no improvements, no bank, no problem. A bunch of people are just writing this off.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The Guardian US: Trump not required to provide sworn declaration that FBI ‘planted’ evidence.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/sep/29/trump-mar-a-lago-special-master-judge-ruling

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Why not just fix climate change if we're going to discuss policy that is absolutely divorced from political possibility?

Because discussing what is politically possible or realisticly possible in the US system is demonstrably dangerously depressing and/or a bannable offence for encouraging violence? The eat the rich jokes weren't invented to be funny

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheWeedNumber posted:

Dear White People,

Why do you always wanna betray America? I’ve never heard of any black, Latin/Hispanic, or Asian person that has pulled a Benedict Arnold. And always for loving cheap. In this case free!

Sincerely,

Your local Paraguayan/Egyptian American.

It happens to everyone though her deal wasn't quite the same as volunteering more or less unprompted like the current one did.

I am also hoping that this doesn't make things even worse for trans people in the army.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Because discussing what is politically possible or realisticly possible in the US system is demonstrably dangerously depressing and/or a bannable offence for encouraging violence? The eat the rich jokes weren't invented to be funny

As someone who lived in a community that was wrecked by climate change, it's not an uplifting topic to bandy about. After Katrina the number of big brain think pieces that suggested rebuilding because "idiots" built the city "below sea level" was pretty sizeable. Its was lovely and revealing to see the kind of attitudes presented when rebuilding NO was brought up VS. Rebuilding NYC. The people who ultimately lose the most from climate change are the poor. That reality doesn't change in the USA and it doesn't change just because bad parties have found ways to make natural disasters profitable for themselves.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

As someone who lived in a community that was wrecked by climate change, it's not an uplifting topic to bandy about. After Katrina the number of big brain think pieces that suggested rebuilding because "idiots" built the city "below sea level" was pretty sizeable. Its was lovely and revealing to see the kind of attitudes presented when rebuilding NO was brought up VS. Rebuilding NYC. The people who ultimately lose the most from climate change are the poor. That reality doesn't change in the USA and it doesn't change just because bad parties have found ways to make natural disasters profitable for themselves.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Wasabi the J posted:

The Guardian US: Trump not required to provide sworn declaration that FBI ‘planted’ evidence.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/sep/29/trump-mar-a-lago-special-master-judge-ruling

It's both really stupid and really irrelevant. Judge Cannon is more or less overriding poo poo she said to the Special Master to give Donnie breaks to both delay things and not incriminate himself with the whole "FBI planted evidence deal". But it's all completely irrelevant to the main show, as even her fuckery can't touch the classified documents anymore. DOJ obviously cares about the 11k documents / 200k pages, but nowhere near as much as they care about those classified documents. If anything is going to bag Donnie (heavy if), it'll be the classified docs.

But she's a hack.

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1575595494214029312

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Add Arizona to my list of states that need to be fenced off.

I am personally and professionally obligated to tell you that you're wrong

Arizona has many, many flaws, but the entire state is not Phoenix. There is absolutely incredible natural beauty, geologic wonders, and ecological treasures to be found throughout the state, from the depths of Grand Canyon, to the towering Saguaro cacti, to the Petrified Forest. And there is a long, long human history there, with vibrant and thriving cultures that have long outlasted Spanish and American attempts to eradicate them and their heritage.

In short: Arizona's cool! Just don't go to Phoenix.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

It's both really stupid and really irrelevant. Judge Cannon is more or less overriding poo poo she said to the Special Master to give Donnie breaks to both delay things and not incriminate himself with the whole "FBI planted evidence deal". But it's all completely irrelevant to the main show, as even her fuckery can't touch the classified documents anymore. DOJ obviously cares about the 11k documents / 200k pages, but nowhere near as much as they care about those classified documents. If anything is going to bag Donnie (heavy if), it'll be the classified docs.

But she's a hack.

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1575595494214029312

lmao DJT paid for a lava‐repelling rock.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Are these a quaking aspen? Is this a single quaking aspen?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If you want to preserve this beauty then fencing off Arizona from the vast majority of people is probably the best way to do this.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Thats great and all unless you're a woman between the ages of 10 and 60. No people and natural beauty don't insulate you from a state's terrible policies. If it did, Utah would be a great place to live.

Defenestrategy posted:

If you want to preserve this beauty then fencing off Arizona from the vast majority of people is probably the best way to do this.
Really, whats needed is to fence midwestetners out. Corn fed chuds moving to nice places are the ones loving them up with their reactionary bullshit. Beto won among Texas born voters, etc.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 30, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
When I think of Arizona, this usually comes to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgTU1pXYGIc

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Holy crap.

https://twitter.com/ChrisNowinski1/status/1575659558613172224?s=20

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Congrats to today's winners in the 2022 Fat Bear Junior competition, 909's yearling and 94's triplets. They will be going head to head tomorrow to see who's the fattest junior bear.

https://twitter.com/KatmaiNPS/status/1575651874308558848

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Sept CE- This just makes me sad

(What a jackass.)

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

That Works posted:

So you're the guy at the funeral pointing out that we wouldn't be here today if X had laid off the potato chips eh.

This is a funeral?

I thought it was a discussion forum, specifically one for CURRENT EVENTS.

Dude is emphatically not that guy at the funeral for discussing that topic of all topics, in this thread of all threads. You might have an argument over in the gender neutral parent thread, but my man, this is the CE thread.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Arizona has many, many flaws, but the entire state is not Phoenix. There is absolutely incredible natural beauty, geologic wonders, and ecological treasures to be found throughout the state, from the depths of Grand Canyon, to the towering Saguaro cacti, to the Petrified Forest. And there is a long, long human history there, with vibrant and thriving cultures that have long outlasted Spanish and American attempts to eradicate them and their heritage.

In Arizona as we speak to go spend a few days up in Canyon de Chelly and the Navajo Nation, unfortunately have to transit through Phoenix to get there. Driving up Scottsdale Rd I'm not sure I've seen so many strip clubs not outside a military base.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

stealie72 posted:

Thats great and all unless you're a woman between the ages of 10 and 60. No people and natural beauty don't insulate you from a state's terrible policies. If it did, Utah would be a great place to live.

Jesus dude, I'm not telling anyone to move there, just saying that it's got some cool spots that are worth visiting. And I know a hell of a lot of people who are very, very aware of the state's awful policies and are doing what they can to change them, so I'd be grateful if people stopped making lovely jokes about walling them off.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s the end of the month and time to get those OTC COVID tests purchased through or reimbursed by your insurance.

quote:

Private insurers must fully reimburse their members for up to 8 at-home tests per month, or provide members access to free tests from a preferred provider. If your insurer sets up a preferred provider program, they will still partially reimburse for tests purchased outside of that program, up to 8 per month. Follow your insurance provider’s instructions to submit reimbursement claims.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Yo I've never seen somebody's hands do that...and after he got slammed into the fuckin' ground..

Pray for that guy.

I was just talking to my wife about how I'll never put any future kids in football even after playing and loving it growing up. It's crazy and I'm so glad I stopped I'm high school and I was a big kid in all my teams, positions etc and never got clobbered quite so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Yeah, that's a bad fencing response. Definitely in TBI territory. Poor bastard.