Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If the background had shown blue they would have latched onto the 'divisiveness' of blue = democrat and leaving out republicans and then deepfaked hitler and swasticas on the video anyway

You cannot fight these people in good faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You don't need to be terribly smart to set up solar. You just need to be able to follow directions. Also understand electric code if you intend for it to be insurable.

Doesn't look like 60kw of storage to me but I've never seen a tesla battery up close.

E: if you're going to buy a Taurus, don't. But if you do, the revolvers are at least drop safe.

Thats about 100kwh of battery, so yeah, 6 or 7 powerwalls worth of capacity, just in a very thermally unstable stack. Normally you'd have the flat side of the rectangles exposed to air cooling. So you can't pull EV level of wattage but as long as it doesn't overheat you still get the full capacity. Anyway, if your house is drawing 60kW you've got something on fire. That would be equivalent to maxing out a 250A/240V service in north America.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Powerwalls are/were available in 6kw or 10kw. So it's about 60kw, or what a standard tesla car battery was from last decade. Not sure if it's actually 80kw with only 60kw unlocked or is just a 60kw alone.

The average US household uses 30kw a day. I use 7kw, my friend uses less than 3kw right now on the 12v SLA setup currently running the house.

As long as the rack is in a climate controlled space, he shouldn't have any heat concerns, really. They can be close to each other, you just have to add supplemental air flow if it gets above 80ish in the area of the rack.

It's typically suggested that you want 3 days of power storage, so larger banks are common, but they come down to the load you draw. If he's swinging average usage, he has 2 days of battery capacity. 17kw of panels is nuts, but you're only supposed to expect 4 hours a day of sunlight and typically want your panels to overproduce a little. You can set up extra draws, like fans that kick on when you reach 99% capacity, to avoid damaging the storage or inverter/controller.

I really need to figure out what kind of certification I need to work on solar.

You're confusing kW (power) vs kWh (energy). A house may pull 30kWh a day, but will often have a load of 1-2kW. Start running dryers/ovens/toasters/microwaves/AC and that number spikes up temporarily. So you need batteries + inverters with the kW capacity to run your large appliances but you want the kWh capacity of the battery to last sufficiently between solar cycles. In a properly configured solar setup your controller should shift the cell power point toward open-circuit rather than turning on dummy loads, but scheduling heavy power consumer's like AC for when your battery is already at full charge is a smart way to get maximum utilization out of the solar irradiance of your array.

A.o.D. posted:

I have some thoughts about forced air ventilation and cabinet clearance, but I'm willing to bet no one involved gives a flying gently caress what I think, so I'll just shut up.

Commercial rackmount batteries like that are designed for passive cooling in an unoccupied but climate controlled area. Most of their charge/discharge power limits are based on the safe margin for self-heating of the cells. As long as the cells stay between 10 and 30C you're golden. They'll be fine from 5C to 50C, but 60C is the upper safe range. On a scorching 45C day a fan and the convection over the case should be plenty to keep the cells at 50C max. But ideally you just keep the room their in below 80F.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 2, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'd think all the stuff those UPS's are powering are producing an order of magnitude more heat themselves as loads. The batteries would probably survive long after the computing equipment overheated if the HVAC failed. Are they SLA or lithium battery UPSs? SLA batteries don't have the temp concerns a LiFePo4 (LFP) has. And are they the online double conversion UPS's or failover UPSs? I find that most UPS tend to run hotter and less efficient than a proper inverter with a designed 24/7 duty cycle.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
What if he took the cover folders to put random poo poo into so he could have it visibly sitting off to the side in his office when important people come calling. That is something he would do.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Started seeing YouTube recommended videos like "the FBI has designated me a terrorist" where it's some dude whining that their group 'Patriot wolf Chad's' got lumped into the white nationalist milltia on some list.

I find this hilarious.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yeesh. That's terrible.

Yeah you'd think a rich person would have the means to kill themselves without ruining the day for the laborer who has to clean up the mess.

Nuclear Tourist posted:

It's amazing how many of the most toxic cesspits on the internet can be directly traced back to SA.

We're like an internet body builder. We bulk as we innovate, then we cut when we ban the sociopaths that resulted.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

maffew buildings posted:

Wow if he wanted to insider trade why didn't he just get elected to Congress?

That requires you to be both corrupt and mostly bad at your job.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
RIP SeaTac, you only lasted 370 years since the 1700 Cascadia Megathrust.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPIdRJlzERo

Ding Dong

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Maybe conservatives just can't stop scrolling all these pics of hot shirtless dudes. Its always projection, insecurity, and envy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

orange juche posted:

First part of IK stands for Idiot, can't help it Hekk didn't have his daily recommended intake of crayons.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Probe reason didn't cite marines nor crayon's, voted 1 FV, smdh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
How much do you need for rollback netcode?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Nystral posted:

Iirc Charles is a vocal supporter of the environment and I guess trying to publicly stand behind that effort.

They also need to set a good precedent for next year's royal funeral

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Should have been a rock.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

A.o.D. posted:

With respect to the reference, no, Sir Stephen Hawking, PhD is.

My man have you met Feynman?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

shame on an IGA posted:

*counts pins*

:stonk: people who don't want to go to forever jail I guess

Listen, you just take a clue from the Irish and dig a good hole at grandpa's farm. Cosmoline and nice modern crates.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Nothing. Thats already what those fucks do, and unless there is overwhelming evidence the FBI doesn't have enough manpower or fucks given to stop them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Anything that takes the federal huricane/flood/etc insurance payout should be converted into federal state park.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

A.o.D. posted:

Feel free to make a list of M_Gargantua approved living places.

There is a cohort of wealthy landowners who exploit the federal insurance system to subsidize their own profits. Places that would otherwise be uninsurable because of the location. Next time those mcmansions get leveled just pay out the insurance and eminent domain the land so it cant be rebuilt at the taxpayer expense.

Its that game theory thing where you promote negative behaviors. We need to pay out federally so peoples lives aren't wrecked, but there are people who turn that into a legal exploit to cash in.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

That Works posted:

I've literally heard my entire life that I shouldn't live where I lived (South Louisiana) just before/during/after every major storm despite people living in those areas for >300 years but have heard little / nothing about why we shouldn't rebuild other areas after disasters.

It's annoying, especially considering how much of the US population lives within a few miles of an ocean coastline.

Its not *any* coastline, or *any* california wildfire zone. Its the new ones that are swamps or eucalyptus forests. We have 100 years of modern data about places we've expanded to in the last few decades that never should have been zoned for construction. We continue to expand our suburbs and vacation locations into as yet unbuilt areas and there is a reason people hadn't lived there in mass for >300 years and left them undeveloped! Yet the insurance structure continues to reward rich landowners for doing so rather than going to help the normal citizens of the area.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

That Works posted:

I'm sure the survivors families (who all have the agency and ability to affect the changes that are necessary and the financial and political means to do so) will be properly chastised. Because of course as we all know, climate disaster does not disproportionately affect those in poverty with little / no means to prevent these occurrences.

I think a good portion of us have the position that these are things that should be fixed at the federal level, and hence have federal programs and funding to do those things, not some vague judgement on the people living there. Either they're not going to move on their own because they can't, and should be subsidized, or they're not going to stop because they're being subsidized to live there, and should be forced to take their cash and go elsewhere.

Disaster insurance needs to remain a thing, but we shouldn't be allowing people to use it to overpopulate at risk areas for their profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I wonder how useful 6 point harness's would be for dudes in armor. I can tell you that they're nice when you're wrapped in Nomex.