Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol.

Democracy! Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Is that real? He doesn’t quite strike me as a smart person.

You don't need to be terribly smart to set up solar. You just need to be able to follow directions. Also understand electric code if you intend for it to be insurable.

Doesn't look like 60kw of storage to me but I've never seen a tesla battery up close.

E: if you're going to buy a Taurus, don't. But if you do, the revolvers are at least drop safe.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 2, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A.o.D. posted:

It's a car battery, so obviously it handles 1.21 jiggawatts.

I think teslas come with 60-80kw packs. A 60kw would be roughly 6 of the 10kw powerwalls.

The flux capacitor was what made 1.21 jiggawatts, the delorean never had the ability to store that capacity.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Defenestrategy posted:

If I saw that kind of wiring and storage job hooked up to a large battery I would run the gently caress out of the room.

Yeah, it's pretty goddamn ugly.

This is my friend's rack with 10kw of battery in it. The rack can hold 30kw.

His transformer and third battery arrived this week, so we're either going to have his power working next week, or his shed will burn down.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

M_Gargantua posted:

Thats about 100kwh of battery, so yeah, 6 or 7 powerwalls worth of capacity, just in a very thermally unstable stack. Normally you'd have the flat side of the rectangles exposed to air cooling. So you can't pull EV level of wattage but as long as it doesn't overheat you still get the full capacity. Anyway, if your house is drawing 60kW you've got something on fire. That would be equivalent to maxing out a 250A/240V service in north America.

Powerwalls are/were available in 6kw or 10kw. So it's about 60kw, or what a standard tesla car battery was from last decade. Not sure if it's actually 80kw with only 60kw unlocked or is just a 60kw alone.

The average US household uses 30kw a day. I use 7kw, my friend uses less than 3kw right now on the 12v SLA setup currently running the house.

As long as the rack is in a climate controlled space, he shouldn't have any heat concerns, really. They can be close to each other, you just have to add supplemental air flow if it gets above 80ish in the area of the rack.

It's typically suggested that you want 3 days of power storage, so larger banks are common, but they come down to the load you draw. If he's swinging average usage, he has 2 days of battery capacity. 17kw of panels is nuts, but you're only supposed to expect 4 hours a day of sunlight and typically want your panels to overproduce a little. You can set up extra draws, like fans that kick on when you reach 99% capacity, to avoid damaging the storage or inverter/controller.

I really need to figure out what kind of certification I need to work on solar.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A.o.D. posted:

I have some thoughts about forced air ventilation and cabinet clearance, but I'm willing to bet no one involved gives a flying gently caress what I think, so I'll just shut up.

My friend's rack isn't fully set in place yet, the 12v is still hooked up to the left. The rack will be offset about a foot from the wall. Besides, it's sitting on shingles.

We're more concerned with insulation for the shed in the winter, when it can get down to -40°. The solution we're working out now is using seedling heat mats between the batteries that can kick on based on a temp sensor and draw 20w/hr.

Cooling will be a concern, but it topped out at like, 92°F here this summer. A box fan will probably suffice.

We ran 50 feet of 1/0 cables for those batteries through buried and crawlspace hung 2" conduit to the utility room. Inverter can only pull about 40 amps so it's a little overkill.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 2, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CommieGIR posted:

Needed 1.21 jiggawatts, not made. The Plutonium provided that from its very not-shielded reactor in the back :)

I forgot about THE LIBYANS!

Thank you, I haven't watch BTTF in a while.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

M_Gargantua posted:

You're confusing kW (power) vs kWh (energy). A house may pull 30kWh a day, but will often have a load of 1-2kW. Start running dryers/ovens/toasters/microwaves/AC and that number spikes up temporarily. So you need batteries + inverters with the kW capacity to run your large appliances but you want the kWh capacity of the battery to last sufficiently between solar cycles. In a properly configured solar setup your controller should shift the cell power point toward open-circuit rather than turning on dummy loads, but scheduling heavy power consumer's like AC for when your battery is already at full charge is a smart way to get maximum utilization out of the solar irradiance of your array.

Yeah I really need to hit some books if I ever daydream about the idea of maybe looking into certs for it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A.o.D. posted:

I work at a facility that has roughly 150 network cabinets, of which at least half have UPSs for voip service. That photo depicts an area that probably isn't climate controlled and has poor access to the back side of the rack space. As was previously stated, that's just a temporary location while the final installation gets sorted, but I was concerned about that setup being a permanent fixture.

You're right that it's not climate controlled. However, it's at 7500ft of elevation, heat isn't a huge problem here, yet. If needed, we can put a $300 amazon air conditioner in that shed next summer, but concern for climate right now is on the cold end.

My friend wants to put that rack on casters but hasn't ordered any with at least 750 pound ratings yet. Ideally he'll have a few feet to roll it around when it's finished.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, the fire hazard reasoning is why it's in a shed 20 feet from the house. On a concrete slab. It took weeks for me to convince him to not put it in the house.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I love the guy to death but he is far from handy.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I dunno, Texas is very close to Florida in the caliber of residents. Those would be the last places I would look for a refugee bride in the US. There are plenty of both in Colorado anyhow.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Battery chat is in the civ dad chat thread now. Burn things there.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's funny to me that whoever made that may have started in a photoshop thread 20 years ago here on the forums. And I wonder how much they're getting paid to make Joe look good.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I mean, odd chances and all that. There were plenty of other photoshop forums at the time, too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Can the crown not afford a custom built coach? What's this Winnebago poo poo?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Can't call yourself royalty and ride in an oil driller's home. Part of being a royal is ostentatiousness.

And it all sounds like a south park plot anyhow.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Some idiot is flying a plane around Tupelo, MS threatening to crash into the walmart.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Crab Dad posted:

Would anyone notice if he did?

I think Tupelo has more than one walmart.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/03/us/tupelo-mississippi-pilot-threatens-walmart/index.html

Maybe a King Air twin engine.

E: the walmart is probably evacuated anyhow.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Some granddaughter of a billionaire got bagged in Memphis the other morning, if anyone's wondering why there's another "missing white lady" in the news.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Jerry's not doing so hot these days, that I recall. He had a stroke a few years ago, around the time his son hung himself in a county jail.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Jerry is a Memphian through and through, which means he has Elvis vices. Food and women.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nuclear Tourist posted:

It's amazing how many of the most toxic cesspits on the internet can be directly traced back to SA.

It's good that the people who started the cesspits were tossed overboard and/or banned from SA though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Goddamn scammers. I'm still waiting on my fiesta cat plushies.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I heard the KFC log story on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me around the time it happened so either it's real or NPR writers are goons.

Assuming it's the story where someone burnt a log in a non-ventilated space.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Lake of Methane posted:

lol they called SomethingAwful a good idea

"And now, you too, can pay :10bux: to post!"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
France and Pakistan would be my first two guesses.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Platystemon posted:

No one has mentioned India, but that’s another option.

Trump and Modi did have a little bromance going on.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That would just be a map of where Russia wants to put nukes in Belarus.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Isn't that what he was arrested on a boat by the postal inspector for?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
E woops wrong thread

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Things never to apologize for: Volcanoes not exploding.

Not applicable to earth scientists in Italy.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Anyone know where I can find that leaked list of Oath Keepers?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/oath-keepers-members-list-law-enforcement-officers-politicians-military-members-report/

quote:

The names of hundreds of U.S. law enforcement officers, elected officials and military members appear on the leaked membership rolls of a far-right extremist group that's accused of playing a key role in the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol, according to a report released Wednesday.

E: apparently this is the poo poo released last year that people have been digging through. Wouldn't mind knowing if any of the local cops are on that list. 5gb on ddosecrets.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 8, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ASAPI posted:

Good question.

I can't find the file. It does look like local news channels have access though. I noticed some local channel hits calling out specific departments/divisions.

It's supposedly on ddosecrets.com, but I'm not downloading 5gb to my phone. Maybe later when I find my laptop.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Truman was out of office at 69. Dude had pent up spunk to spend.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The line can bounce around a bit, but Charles has been at the head of it for a while.

If they made Andrew the king, I'm pretty sure the villagers would run them off into the sea.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Eventually they'll be an american territory. Let them grieve now before the real suffering commences.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Something I was thinking about, because it's BBC time on the old NPR station.

Biden has already said he's going to QE2s funeral. I can't wait to see a picture of Biden, Obama, Bush and the Clintons hanging out in London while Trump has all manner of feds up his rear end.

I can't wait for the butthurt bullshit he spouts at a rally after the old lady is entombed.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Did anyone else play Timesplitters or am I rowing that boat alone?

For reference, the 2004ish Timesplitters. It had an interesting multiplayer deathmatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MA-Horus posted:

There are days when I miss my 21" Trinitron

There are never days that my back misses it. That fucker was drat close to 100lbs

I had a 21" european Sony trinitron TV I bought in Iraq in 2005, might have weighed 50 pounds. It was a beast though, and worked fine with any voltage I plugged into it.

Now the 25" trinitron from the mid-90s, that was stupid heavy. As was the 32" my friend had in college. Absolute back breakers.