Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Leave posted:

If any of us were caught with even 1/100th of what Trump had, how quickly would we be disappeared?

You'd be lucky if the FBI kicked in your door at 2AM and dragged you out of your house in your underwear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

:siren: Rainier is doing poo poo :siren:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

what does this mean

https://twitter.com/KClarkWx/status/1567554056717213697?s=20&t=93_ru5T-B_5DwLjJDBPkwg

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Crab Dad will be the SME, but I've never seen anything over Rainier other than a lenticular cloud.

e: And to be clear, if I meant the beer I'd refer to it as Ranyay, obviously.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Things never to apologize for: Volcanoes not exploding.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

The Haslams are categorically awful. Good on the fan.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Wonder Free posted:

Yes I’m trying to convince my in-laws to evacuate from the beach in Indian Shores. The euro model has been calling it going into Tampa Bay for like a week now. GFS had it going into LA and then the panhandle. NHC was splitting the difference.

The risk with the east side raking up the coast is everyone getting to enjoy some onshore flow and storm surge with major hurricane force winds. That could be coastal flooding from Naples to the panhandle.

From someone I know, gas shortages as far west as Destin.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

https://twitter.com/aweissmann_/status/1574534293187186702?s=46&t=Fh_ugephz1J_nvBlitomjw

Yes, I too walk way with empty classified folders on top of god knows what else.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

"We don't have a good understanding of the physics of this"

*successfully pulls off something akin to the 'Nique/Jordan dunk contest*

"We have a better understanding of the physics of how this works"

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Fat Bear Week is just the best.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cross-posting from the Civ Thread: Hugh Jackman is coming back for Deadpool 3.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

bulletsponge13 posted:

Any deer.
He just wanted to use it.

Good lord, just put a brush guard on a Ford Ranger and drive around NW Pennsylvania for 12 hours.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dang, was hoping he and Patrick Stewart were done after leaving on a dignified high note in Logan but oh right it’s Disney. Did not care for Dr. Strange bringing back Xavier to be brutally executed for… some plot reason.

The money cannon bullet never lies.

Hugh, being the nice guy that he seems to be, I'm guessing called Sir Patrick beforehand. I can hear him saying "They are paying you how much!?" before telling him to get after it.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

ASAPI posted:

LA might be a bad example, I've always been critical of an area where two of its seasons are Firestorm and Mudslide.

I believe that we have made some incredibly stupid choices for city placement/planning all over the nation. We have a bunch of places that either require the next man made world wonder to be fixed or should just be abandoned entirely. Gulf Coast states tend to get picked on more because of the frequency we see them fail. At this point, the feds will be paying the Landlords of Florida leaving the actual residents high and dry.

What gets me is how these places are rebuilt/insured. We are now up to almost a major hurricane a year (is it more?) hitting Florida. The Federal gov insures this place against flooding, which we know will occur. From what I can see, any improved building codes don't seem to be making things more survivable. Where do we, as a nation, draw the line and say, "enough is enough".

I don't know the solution. I don't want forced relocations or anything like that. But we should have a plan in place that somehow either draws down these areas or we need to start on some kind of Great Work to save those places. Our method of rebuild and hope for the best doesn't work. All that does is displace renters from their homes.

I'm fine with keeping these places (hell, New Orleans is an awesome place), but if we want to keep them, we need to act like it.

A lot of this stuff is just because the world existed before codes were updated. Sure, you can't plan for 16' storm surges, but if you find me a critical building (IE: Hospital) in the Fort Meyers region that's been built in the last 20 years, I'm guessing it's still standing (I believe that ASCE 7 requires rating against 150mph at ground level there, but I don't have my pubs with me....I've had a long day.....just Chapter 23 if IIRC). IBC adopts ASCE 7 by reference.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

There was a point a couple of pages ago about the FEMA buy-out system, and I guarantee that the cost in both time and money wouldn't be covered by the system. I can't speak to that particularly. What I can say, is don't try to build a new permanent structure in FEMA's 100 yr flood plain for....basically any creek or river that has a USGS monitoring station on it, which is very well mapped. Lawyers and a whole bunch of things that you don't want.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Soxorz posted:

I'm working in the Fort Myers area as a paramedic and it's hit or miss on the damage around here (at least in the city not the islands obviously). Pretty sure my apartment is gonna be condemned, all my neighbors on the first floor had 6-7 ft of water inside. While my place on the second floor was fine I cant imagine them wanting to redo all the apartment on the first floor instead of tearing it down. Both water and power are gone and will probably not be up for weeks.

Thinking I will give it till Monday and see what the situation is and then decide if I am gonna abandon ship or stick it out. Only real thing keeping me here is nursing school but I can just restart that elsewhere.

Anyone have any idea on Florida laws in relationship to breaking a lease on an unlivable appartment?

Paging Mr. Nice to the thread, who I don't believe is in this area, but will have resources.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Who are buying places on prime beaches and not paying cash? No mortgage, no improvements, no bank, no problem. A bunch of people are just writing this off.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

In high school, dude got a concussion during practice and didn't tell anyone (namely his dad, an assistant coach), showed up the next day and got another one. His reward for that bravado was brain surgery and noone seeing him for six months.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I don't think anyone bought the back spasm bullshit.

If the NFLPA doesn't come down hard on this its not going to be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

goatsestretchgoals posted:

the election is between a literal giant who shrugged off a stroke to continue owning versus dr phil’s b-team

Still five weeks to go. It ain't over til it's over.

That said, go for the jugular my man and don't stop til he ain't moving.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yay Mariners :toot:

Repping my Ms stuff all over Central PA tomorrow no doubt.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 1, 2022