Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You don't need to be terribly smart to set up solar. You just need to be able to follow directions. Also understand electric code if you intend for it to be insurable.

Doesn't look like 60kw of storage to me but I've never seen a tesla battery up close.

It's a car battery, so obviously it handles 1.21 jiggawatts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, it's pretty goddamn ugly.

This is my friend's rack with 10kw of battery in it. The rack can hold 30kw.

His transformer and third battery arrived this week, so we're either going to have his power working next week, or his shed will burn down.

I have some thoughts about forced air ventilation and cabinet clearance, but I'm willing to bet no one involved gives a flying gently caress what I think, so I'll just shut up.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

You're confusing kW (power) vs kWh (energy). A house may pull 30kWh a day, but will often have a load of 1-2kW. Start running dryers/ovens/toasters/microwaves/AC and that number spikes up temporarily. So you need batteries + inverters with the kW capacity to run your large appliances but you want the kWh capacity of the battery to last sufficiently between solar cycles. In a properly configured solar setup your controller should shift the cell power point toward open-circuit rather than turning on dummy loads, but scheduling heavy power consumer's like AC for when your battery is already at full charge is a smart way to get maximum utilization out of the solar irradiance of your array.

Commercial rackmount batteries like that are designed for passive cooling in an unoccupied but climate controlled area. Most of their charge/discharge power limits are based on the safe margin for self-heating of the cells. As long as the cells stay between 10 and 30C you're golden. They'll be fine from 5C to 50C, but 60C is the upper safe range. On a scorching 45C day a fan and the convection over the case should be plenty to keep the cells at 50C max. But ideally you just keep the room their in below 80F.

I work at a facility that has roughly 150 network cabinets, of which at least half have UPSs for voip service. That photo depicts an area that probably isn't climate controlled and has poor access to the back side of the rack space. As was previously stated, that's just a temporary location while the final installation gets sorted, but I was concerned about that setup being a permanent fixture.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, the fire hazard reasoning is why it's in a shed 20 feet from the house. On a concrete slab. It took weeks for me to convince him to not put it in the house.

Good job.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Kinda wonder what they’d even want that they didn’t already have. Already had infinite money, free hand to attack Yemen, able to murder American critics overseas with barely a peep, and could buy nearly any hardware they want. I guess secrets about Iran to help prevent any future nuke deals from going through?

They want what any autocrat wants. More power, more authority, more control, more prestige.

Kings suck so much.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

How can you not like pizza you monster

That's the basementless pizza joint that had a child sex ring in the basement, according to Qanon.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

stackofflapjacks posted:

After I read Command and Control I understand how scary it is fueling rockets.

And they're just using Hydrogen and Oxygen. They're not even using the fun poo poo like peroxides or perchlorates.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

stealie72 posted:

The urge to roll past that at 3am and put some holes in it must be excruciating.

You should exercise your imagination a bit more.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Republicans: “I can’t believe that Joe Biden calls us ‘domestic terrorists’!”

Also Republicans:

No fair taking our picture when we go mask off!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
CPAC also had the January 6 cage which depicted an insurrectionist being "unfairly" persecuted. Apparently trying to overthrow the government counts as dindu nuffin. They also had Viktor Orban, Putin lackey, election fixer, and Hungarian autocrat as a special guest. Here's the insurrectionist wearing their scarlet letter:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

That Works posted:

You gotta show the one where MTG kneeled in the cell and prayed with the prisoner

I don't have to show that prehuman creature doing a goddamned thing.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
He leads the military, but he's in every respect a civilian. It's absolutely essential that he be tried in criminal court rather than a court martial or tribunal in order for concept of civilian control of the armed forces be maintained.

Of course, just like all law and and civil theory it's all made up, but these things should continue to work this way unless we can come up with a better system.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Since we always tend to post poo poo that's unfortunate:

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1567220814818250753?t=G1Qd1my2I9fdR5V-F5WUZA&s=19

It's a good thing this idiot wasn't on good terms with his ex!

I bet he can't even see why kids love the great taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Americans who worship that guy are stupid, but it’s an extra level of stupid to worship him as a foreigner.

It's highly likely that good ol Kyle wouldn't even recognize those people as human.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'll take wildcard option China

Okay but you have to say it like you're eating an apple in reverse.

"Chai-nah"
:smugdon:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'd just like to congratulate Queen Elizabeth on, after 70 years of trying, finally becoming a good monarch.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Good things just keep happening today!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Here's another bit of chaos: the Daily Caller decided to attack Biden's monkeypox czar by calling him a big gay, gay who gays and made him look rad as all gently caress:

https://twitter.com/Dylan_Housman/status/1567951104511741952?t=depYCn5xTwsqCxMaQtYhUQ&s=19

They are absolutely, positively loving determined to make Biden cool.

That does not look like a man who can be shamed.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

orange juche posted:

I mean I got stuck for Polio before starting school, but how long is a Polio shot good for?

A long time. If you were vaccinated as a child and you're an at risk adult, the CDC recommends a one-time booster.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I got the drops under the tongue. I swear I can remember the taste of the OPV.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

That’s a good point. Although I was wondering does the military have its own MOS for train drivers or is it just contracted out?

Also saw this and had to post it here.

MOS 88U, but it's mostly contracted out, and apparently not an active duty MOS?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

The foolishness of this as someone recently on Twitter aptly pointed out is that MAGA HAS no martyrs.

You either succeed or you're a loser and a failure.

That was me. :)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

I sentence everyone involved in this story with one week of hard time in Hardspace: Shipbreaker.

https://twitter.com/AaronKatersky/status/1570065862127923204?t=1oFZvJ5Sdf6Y7WnvjxjkVw&s=19

My one complaint about Shipbreaker is that the system you're placed in isn't exploitive enough. While the debt the corporation buries you under is nuts, shipbreaking is so profitable that it's completely realistic to work off the debt in about three months of in game time. After that, you're rolling in dough.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Xakura posted:

They kill you in the intro, and all the work is performed by clone(s) you. Who's to say they ever let you retire, they could just spin up a new clone that thinks it's 1 billion in debt

I haven't played the last story update though, dunno if any of that is addressed.

Its true that you're killed in the first 60 seconds of the story, but if they were pulling a Moon (the amazing 00s sci Fi movie) then victory through striking would have been impossible. They would have just killed everyone and started over.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Hardspace: Shipbreaker is a good game and should be played by anyone that can handle 360 degree free rotation in zero G.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Something about quoting laws to men with swords.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Unimportant current event- found local shop that carries Family Sauce, the condiment from Iraq.

What is that like? I never went to Iraq.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How the hell is SovCit compatible with fascism? Fascism demands complete control and fealty. It will not tolerate anyone who even pretends to exercise any independent authority.

Is this one of those "tankies backing fascists" 2022 broke brained politics things?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Ah, the rear end penny theory of document ownership.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's a real shame he didn't get a team. It would have been hilarious, hurt less people, and he would never have become president.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

"Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Daniel Snyder."

I started screaming inside, but then I thought you know he probably wouldn't have been as bad.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ZombieApostate posted:

Guy tried to use the cheer leading squad as his personal call girl service. I think that's a bit optimistic.

I don't think that a man who publicly identifies as Jewish would get in bed with nazis. Granted, in this hell timeline anything awful seems possible, but there you have it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
welp, time to see if I can noclip into another reality. this one is bullshit.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If you declassify a document in a dream you better wake up and apologize.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I bet it's been a long time since he's successfully wiped his own rear end.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Breaking: a candidate has announced a 2024 presidential run

https://twitter.com/JohnHinckley20/status/1572981115845251072

If his campaign platform is to reenact March 30, 1981 once he's sworn in he has my vote.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Everything about this photo is so great, but the best part of all is that chain of command photo board hanging out in the background.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Iirc, that guy was wrangled up at his stepkid's graduation from boot camp.

:pusheen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

Rule number 1 after finishing BUDS

The hardest part was the SEAR training. The instructors are absolute assholes about getting the right temperature in the steak, and they don't make any allowances for poor quality charcoal.