Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

I just finished The Jakarta Method by Vincent Bevins and I'm going to recommend it as one of the most powerful histories I've read in a while. It covers the "CIA" campaign to use mass murder (including, of course, disappearances in Chile) to install fascist or military dictator regimes around the world after sponsoring a stunning success* with this strategy in Indonesia. And insanely depressing, easily as depressing as your fave People's History or veinas abiertas etc

*a success for oil and tobacco and media executives and arms dealers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Duzzy Funlop posted:

GOLD GERMAN ARMED FORCES PROFICIENCY BADGE :lol:

We used to award those as "thank yous" to partner-units from the US when we'd take them to boring-rear end shooting range trips to get their Schützenschnur (because that thing was like catnip to Americans), and got cool-rear end shooting range trips to US shooting ranges as an exchange.
Since the shooting exercises for the badge were the same as for the Schützenschnur, SOP was to have the CO of the visiting unit just provide written confirmation that the applicants fulfilled the other requirements of the badge (15km march in 120mins with 10kg ruck, basic PFT, basic NBC test in MOPP gear and a loving first aid course), and then they wouldn't have to do those in person, because they were all obviously very fit.

Like, the "hardest" part of the badge is the 15km march, but the badge itself - in gold, no less - is nothing more than a "congrats, you've stayed fit enough to be considered :airquote: a soldier :airquote:, and can pass a couple of relatively basic shooting exercises"-award, and we didn't even make visiting units do the fitness portion of it.

sounds pretty sick, I'd pop it in the shadowbox if I got one

what kind of liters per capita lager consumption is required

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Milo and POTUS posted:

Jesus can't these people catch a break

F

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Wash it down with a Wild Tiger, Total Activation energy drink with nicotine or whatever that poo poo was lol

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

lolll

look man i was an enlisted supply clerk I have never claimed to be smart

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

massive midnight dumps

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Defenestrategy posted:

This guy gets it.

The only redeeming feature of Arizona that I am personally aware of are the border towns with the most delicious foods and the party don't stop at 6pm.

I was blessed to spend two summers working at a research station surrounded by national forest in one of the remote sky islands and it remains one of the most beautiful and biodiverse places I've ever seen. The fauna you would encounter on a day to day basis was just astounding -- premium birdwatching and herping. I won't even name it because I don't want you or anyone else to go there, but trust me, there are a couple nice spots in AZ. North Rim and the Kaibab are really great, in summer at least.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Soylent Pudding posted:

My takeaway is that Arizona, much like Florida, gets better the fewer humans are around.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I was a pretty casual viewer of football to begin with, but I don't think I'll ever sit down to watch another NFL game again. This video of Tua is stomach churning. The context was worthwhile, imo.
He looks like he's fuckin drunk out there. Where are the adults in the room ffs