Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The other threads either move too fast, aren't really penitent, or just loving dumb. There should be a thread to talk about Indigenous people's struggles in the world. Currently the US Navy is poisoning the people of Hawaii.

https://twitter.com/Kiai_Report/status/1565080073526558727?cxt=HHwWjoC-uZyCpLgrAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
why do you hate animels

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

why do you hate animels

stfu idiot

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/michellecyca/status/1567145181329379337

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I like reservation dogs

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

i love how canada has like 5 of these scandals for every 1 the US has.

gently caress you yankees, we're #1 at something

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dreylad posted:

They always tie their identities to some major event that happened for the tribe they are cosplaying as. It's so gross.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao that article is nuts. should the universities be making these kind of hires via the amount of trust they use now? should there be any sort of investigative process, and if so with what teeth? spoiler: the accused in the article never apologized or resigned or got fired

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

i say swears online posted:

lmao that article is nuts. should the universities be making these kind of hires via the amount of trust they use now? should there be any sort of investigative process, and if so with what teeth? spoiler: the accused in the article never apologized or resigned or got fired

she’ll get got this time around, by the sounds of it she only got away cause it was a twitter thread that exposed her the first time

Canadians spending all of BLM doing weak protests while indigenous people were getting brutalized by the police in BC was pretty disgusting to watch

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

well the RCMP were explicitly created to brutalize indigenous people so that was just business as usual for our hero cops

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

typical humen centric view of the world

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

quote:

The message was clear: being Indigenous was tragic or shameful. Or it was mystical and noble, a warrior on a horse, somehow untouched by colonization.

where'd he get the horse then :smug:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Dreylad posted:

In entire seriousness it's the same cultural pathologies that led this country to produce Bear.

I'm calling this a called shot for Marian Engel. Another win for Bear.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hand Knit posted:

In entire seriousness it's the same cultural pathologies that led this country to produce Bear.

I'm calling this a called shot for Marian Engel. Another win for Bear.

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I hate you for making me aware that Bear is a thing that exists.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

what's wrong with bears

alternative farts
Jun 12, 2018

my bony fealty posted:

what's wrong with bears

1. They are animels
2. They eat indigenous people

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

my bony fealty posted:

what's wrong with bears

https://nypost.com/2021/12/01/how-carrie-bourassa-passed-herself-off-as-indigenous-for-years/

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Azathoth posted:

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I hate you for making me aware that Bear is a thing that exists.

We are the settlers so the anti-colonial struggle will always take a psychic toll. The proper response is still gratitude.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Anyway, I’m fascinated by the broader environmental movement’s strategy of relying on indigenous peoples for legitimacy. Not really sure what to make of it yet. Lots of moving parts.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

Her only saving grace was the Métis grandfather she called “gramps,” who took her on excursions to tan hides, pick berries and gave her moccasins and mukluks — boots made of sealskin worn in the Canadian Arctic.

incredible

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Putting the "she has not falsely identified as Indigenous" quote from her PR statement under a photo of her doing just that is :discourse:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Hand Knit posted:

We are the settlers so the anti-colonial struggle will always take a psychic toll. The proper response is still gratitude.

TrueAnon covered some mormon guy who pretended to be the descendant of an Seminole tribe chief who fought against the US. All this was so that he could have a church that sold ayahuasca.

It's so mindblowing, lmfao.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

drat. white people will really stop short of no psychosis

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
uh, dudes rock?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

TrueAnon covered some mormon guy who pretended to be the descendant of an Seminole tribe chief who fought against the US. All this was so that he could have a church that sold ayahuasca.

That being linked to the Utah DA election where the incumbent had to hold a press conference denying he cannibalized children is one of my faves.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Child_Welfare_Act

In the US they had to make a law because Indian kids were being put into the adoption/foster care system at an extremely higher rate.

Of course, the supreme court overruled a lot of what this law was attempting to protect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adoptive_Couple_v._Baby_Girl

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/adoptive-couple-v-baby-girl/id1497785843?i=1000536117776

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
That's gotta be one of the top five lawsuit names of all time

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Thomas King has a great lecture of all the ways Canada and the US have tried to define “Indian”, and one of the main US laws has to do with certifying what tchatchkas are allowed to be sold as “authentically Indian.” The name of the lecture is What Is It About Us You Don’t Like? It’s from his Massey lectures.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/ty_olsen/status/1569470785877843969

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I remember that happening and this paragraph of the article is very on point:

quote:

An RCMP press release issued soon after the incident focused on the driver’s apparent impatience and suggested that the incident was not related to the cause of the march. But witnesses described the man using racial slurs and telling participants to “get over” residential schools prior to accelerating his truck. One witness said the driver threatened to run her over.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

heated Canadian moment

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
last semester I did a research paper on the “black” Seminoles and Seminole freedmen and that is a fascinating trove of history

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

last semester I did a research paper on the “black” Seminoles and Seminole freedmen and that is a fascinating trove of history

yeah it's super interesting and i wonder how the society would have developed if left alone for another couple generations

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Cuttlefush posted:

uh, dudes rock?

*shakes head sadly* No ... not this time.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Hand Knit posted:

Anyway, I’m fascinated by the broader environmental movement’s strategy of relying on indigenous peoples for legitimacy. Not really sure what to make of it yet. Lots of moving parts.

The inevitable is already happening. The indigenous nations that were being "used" for years and years by the environmentalist movement have leveraged the environmentalist movement as useful idiots and leveraged the situation to further their land title claims to take control of the resource exploitation in question. Now the government has recognized that the First Nations are their allies so long as they're the ones able to exploit the resources on their lands and so are supporting the First Nations in telling environmentalists to gently caress off.

lol

quote:

Pacheedaht First Nation asks old-growth protesters to leave its territory

A Vancouver Island Indigenous group says it’s time for protesters opposing the logging of old-growth trees in its traditional territory to leave.

The Pacheedaht First Nation’s land includes Fairy Creek, a pristine watershed near Port Renfrew that has been the centrepiece of a battle between anti-logging demonstrators who have set up blockades and forestry company Teal Jones.

A court-ordered injunction was served to protesters last week ordering the dismantling of the blockades so that Teal Jones could resume its work, but so far they have defied the order.

In a statement released Monday, the Pacheedaht First Nation said its constitutional right to make decisions about forestry in its territory must be respected, and that it does not welcome “unsolicited interference,” including third-party activism.

B.C.’s Forests Minister Katrine Conroy also weighed in on the controversy surrounding the area after seeing the statement.

“I really hope that the protesters at Fairy Creek respect the Pacheedaht’s request to allow them to do the work that they need to do on their integrated resource and stewardship plans, so I really hope that they respect that,” said Conroy.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Is there a Canadian equivalent to the AIM?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Indian_Movement

The movement is still around but it was fundamentally destroyed by conintelpro.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
australia cant stop jailing indigenous people.. and also can't stop them dying in custody..

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

quote:

Bourassa, a mother of two daughters who is married to a retired Regina cop who also identifies as Métis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Is there a Canadian equivalent to the AIM?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Indian_Movement

The movement is still around but it was fundamentally destroyed by conintelpro.

Probably the closest we come these days is Idle No More: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idle_No_More

There are some institutional associations to represent First Nations people in Canada, like the Assembly of First Nations, but my impression of them has been that by this point they're too integrated into conventional power structures to be at all radical.