Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Pretendian, lol.

Elizabeth Warren is indigenous to Ireland but St Patrick drove her ancestors out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

CoolCab posted:

... i categorized "giving significant valuable chunks of land back to the people who originally lived here" as the kind of utter impossibility that could never ever be remotely politically viable. people will not vote away their property and most indigenous populations are the minority.

Respectfully, this is horseshit, and I would direct you to the New Zealand example. You probably need a population that's not incredibly racist first, but that's the obstacle not some property rights BS. If our financially overstretched government can compensate people I'm guessing Canada and the USA could too.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

For the time being though I think that demanding every piece of federal land back, and forcing the US government to adhere to treaties are both pretty reasonable demands.

Do you genuinely believe it's reasonable to give 28% of the land in the USA to less than 2% of the population?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Tell it to my local tribe with over a billion in assets, including a bunch of land with more probably on the way.

Weka
May 5, 2019

i say swears online posted:

why will they be getting more land? repurchasing at market rate?

They do have first option on a bunch of land they've identified as historically relevant but this is just ongoing Treaty of Waitangi settlement stuff.

Terminal autist posted:

You bring up a good point, despite being bizarrely defensive. The US governments treatment of certain tribes was way worse than other ones. One example comes to mind, the crow rez from my understanding is very resource poor compared to other tribes and as as result their percap payments are much much lower than other tribes. Most white people of course dont even bother to try to understand the nuances. Even if your local tribe has billions in assets that doesnt mean poo poo if its not being share equitably amongst the tribe.

It is frustrating when you have just given an example of land back under capitalism for somebody to post that land back is impossible under capitalism.

exmarx posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Waitangi_claims_and_settlements

the treaty settlements are good, but we shouldn't pretend the value is anything near what was lost

Of course not, but it's not clear to me that it would be beneficial to do so, effectively creating a new landed aristocracy. I meant it when I said I don't think American natives should be given all American federal lands. That is if you are talking about material losses, arguably the greatest losses have been cultural.

e: That's not to say it has been enough.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Exactly what I was getting at

It's not enough to say just to give the land back. Whatever political organization have managed to hold on are suddenly given exponentially more power and responsibilities and we think it should shake out all good because, as victims of history, indigenous people are good people. Indigenous people would likely need to build new political organizations to handle the new material circumstances.

The material reality is that Landback necessitates massive political and economic restructuring, what does that look like? Some proponents cannot say, because they do not care to think about practicalities, because they do not believe it is possible and so they feel very comfortable twisting and stretching their radicalism towards various ridiculous propositions.

This is a point I find very interesting, recently here we had a big protest initiated mostly by younger Maori about a decision made by the tribal authority regarding the disposition of some land. It seems to me that Maori governance structures could do with some change but taking a firm position on the matter or what that would look like I hesitate to say as a non-Maori.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ihum%C4%81tao

Weka has issued a correction as of 01:29 on Oct 26, 2022