Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022

NyoroEevee posted:

I'd hazard a guess at Goodra.

...I hate that now I see she absolutely has the Goodra body shape. I was referring to the little ridge things on her head, and now that I've actually had some sleep I think I was thinking of Lugia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Torrannor posted:

Is this the time we recruit Cath?

Not till chapter 22, it's gonna be a while yet.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Gonzalez is the exception to my "promote only at 20" rule. He's gonna slam into his HP, Strength, and Speed caps hard no matter what, and he REALLY wants that insane Skill boost he gets at promotion (although I don't know if they kept that in Project Ember).

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

I agree that Gonzales is ok to early promote. He will cap HP and has already capped Str/Spd. 3 more levels of restricted growth start to represent wasted XP.

On the one hand, you're right, you're absolutely right. On the other hand, here's a preview of literally the next thing that happens after I cut the update off:

:v:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Hey, even 15% happens some of the time. I don't think scientists know how often, though

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Nice. We'll take these kinds of levels.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
He’s so proud of himself :3:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Welcome back! When we left off, miss "still not getting recruited this chapter" had finally shown her face. But just for the sake of argument, suppose we were recruiting her.

Her stats are... still pretty bad honestly, and probably actually worse relative to the rest of the army than the last time we saw her, given that a lot of people have promoted since then. However, while I've told you about Cath's autoleveling, and her prf, there's one thing I haven't mentioned.

It's not just an instant jump from a plain old knife to that prf. Cath's inventory also gradually gets upgraded between appearances... in theory, at least. Honestly, if I had to choose between a light brand or a spare knife at this point, I'm probably taking the knife. The light brand we already have is getting a bit long in the tooth as is, and the only character who'd really get much use out of it is Cath herself. Assuming you're not doing something silly like fielding an underleveled Dieck, of course. :v:

There's also a second thief that spawns in up here, but he doesn't even have a lockpick, just keys, so I'm feeling pretty good about my decision to have Chad gently caress off to start opening chests.

He can just be food for Gonzalez instead, who has apparently earned the blessing of the RNG gods, hitting both a 5% crit and his 20% skill growth.

Speaking of Chad, here's chest number two. I could just wait till he's done and show them all at once, but his exact location is going to be relevant in a couple turns.

Now to deal with Cath. We're actually going to do something very silly and attack her, because this single use short bow is the closest thing we have to an empty inventory slot anywhere nearby. (The discard button is fake and there is nothing you can do to convince me otherwise. :colbert:)

Unfortunately Astolfo is too far away, so that's as much as we can do for now.

Switching gears, we're going to do some maneuvering to get Elffin in position for one last chat with Douglas.

This also sets Roy up to bait this general, which is a thing he can do safely now that Fae has lured over the other one.

Clarine heals Elffin's single point of missing HP, for Reasons.

And because I'm feeling so nice, I'll even let her see some combat. She needs a crit to kill iirc, but that's not, like, impossible.

More rescue chains, so Cecilia and Hugh both have someone to heal this turn.

Don't worry Mr. Warrior, I didn't forget about you!

I wonder, can Lot handle him entirely on his own?

Not quite, but it's otherwise about as good a result as we could ask for.

Hmm, Wade would have to miss twice, and the other guy would have to hit twice? Sure, I'll take those odds!

:toot:

I will never get tired of this staff animation. :allears:

Enemy phase opens with Cath retreating to the stairs to heal. Don't worry, Astolfo can still reach her there.

Those reinforcement sages are also getting close enough that we'll need to deal with them soon.

As for actual combat, Roy dodges the general, and even crits once in response.

I mean, yeah, obviously.

No crit from Clarine, though. :(

I call this one the "lockpick shuffle."

Time for what is probably the only one of these conversations that most people have seen (and Larum's I guess).

: Prince Myrddin! You have returned! You appear to be in good health... I'm so glad you yet live.

: I have you to thank for that. I'm sorry to have put you through so much.

: You have returned safely... Nothing else matters more to me.

Don't lie, Douglas. If that were true, we wouldn't be doing this whole song and dance. :colbert:

: Douglas, I am working with the Lycian Army now.

: Very good! Then all that remains is to drive Bern's troops from the palace.

: What will you do?

: The king is still in Bern's hands... Were I to turn to the Lycian Army now, they would surely take his head.

: ......

: But now that you have returned, I have no regrets. If the Lycian Army strikes me down, I will die in peace.

: Douglas... I apologize. You intend to sacrifice your life for my father...

: My prince, if my death can serve Etruria, then I give it freely.

It won't though! I explained this already!! :argh:

: I am just glad that I could see you again before I pass.

: You risked your life to protect me and send me away to safety. I will never forget that. Never.

: ...I still have one futile hope. I wish to take you to see the king...

: ...Don't lose that hope just yet. Roy... has a knack for overcoming the impossible...

I don't know if I'd go quite that far, but Elffin is right. Douglas may be an idiot, but we still need him for the good ending.

Clarine finishes the general off and continues to not gain magic. :sigh:

Whittling this guy down with bows to avoid having to deal with the runesword.

Perceval can have the kill. I'm kind of making a point of getting all the prepromotes we brought along at least one level, just because I can, and Perceval is high enough to start with that he needs to put in a lot of work to get there.

More healing.

And now these are the only non-recruitable enemies left on the map.

Another excellent level for Gwendolyn as she takes out the first sage.

We can't advance any further without entering the manakete's range, so all that's left is to set her up to counter the great knights.

Oh, and here's chest number three.

This turn, Cath... moves up one space? Sure, whatever.

Both great knights have full triangle control, so there was never a way around Gwendolyn being at disadvantage here. Luckily she doesn't give a poo poo. :v:

...Wait, what? That's not what's supposed to happen. I'm just gonna quote the hack documentation directly here, emphasis mine:

Important Tips.txt posted:

- Douglas will still be able to attack and move after Larum/Elffin talk to him, but he can only attack OR move in the same turn, never both in the same action. He also targets both Dancers, so keep note of that.

Which, uh, he clearly did not just now. This is why I healed that one HP on Elffin; it gave him just enough to survive a hit from Douglas. And like, it makes a certain amount of sense that if you're messing around with Douglas' AI, you'd end up losing the part where he doesn't attack Elffin/Larum in the process.

I have a few guesses for what's causing the discrepancy:

1. The quoted information is incomplete, and Douglas is only hostile to them before someone talks to him and changes his AI.
2. Same as above, except it's specifically the Larum/Elffin conversation that makes him nonhostile. This kind of goes into the reason I wasn't sure the other conversations would work for the "only move OR attack" thing. (Well, that and the exact wording in the first part of that quote.) Basically, if you look at the talk events in FEbuilder, they all have a flag at the end that changes Douglas' AI, but the settings that it changes to are slightly different for Larum/Elffin, and I don't know nearly enough about hacking to say if they're different in a way that actually matters.
3. The information is just flat out wrong. There's at least one other instance in that same text file where this is definitely the case, so I can't rule it out as a possibility. At least in that other case, I assume it's because the advice is based on either a past version or a planned future version, and the relevant stuff either got changed at some point or hasn't been implemented yet.

At any rate, that's the end of that turn. Also another bolting guy spawned in.

However, because we never broke that wall, he has literally nothing to do. Even Chad, who is currently standing on the closest chest to his room, is outside his range. :v:

Moving on, these mostly dead great knights make great punching bags for Lot and Wade.

And the sage is another step in my quest to get Perceval a level.

After that, we're mostly just bunching everyone up around the manakete, but the important bit is getting Astolfo within range.

Melady, however, will be blowing past the manakete entirely to maybe bait this soldier. I say maybe because I wouldn't be surprised if he's also stationary, given that he's guarding Zeiss' little hidey hole.

Fourth chest. One of our current knives is on its last legs, so I'm pretty happy to see this.

Now Cath is properly on the move. Her and nobody else (except Douglas), my suspicion about that soldier was correct.

I'm not sure where she's actually going, though? We have these two sets of stairs completely blocked off, and every other one she'd have to go the long way around for, all the way outside and then back in through the right.

...Don't ask me why I did all this before stealing the bullion. I guess I just saw the one use silver bow and wanted to make sure it got used before I forgot about it?

Yoink! Now we can kill this jerk, and Astolfo can double back and start taking care of the other set of chests.

Ehhhh, let's not. We're a lot further in now, and we have better options than gambling on an 80.

:sigh: I know it's only two damage, but it still hurts.

This hurts too, in a more literal sense. :v:

Still no level, but we've gotta be close now.

That just leaves you. Honestly, if you're going to sit there and let us come to you I'll just feed you to an axebro rather than have Melady go to the trouble.

Lilina will appreciate this. With that done, Chad's next task will be stealing Narcian's poo poo.

Speaking of which, let's test the waters on that throne room ambush now that we've run out of other enemies. Does this count?

Apparently not.

How about now?

: Reinforcements! Charge!

Yep!

So uh, while I remembered that these reinforcements existed before even starting the chapter, I apparently forgot that most of them don't actually show up in the throne room. Hopefully that doesn't screw us over...

All in all, we've got a pair of great knights in the throne room and archers to either side...

...a gaggle of mercs in this room...

...a paladin and bishop just kind of doing their own thing...

...and of course, wyverns from the rear.

One of those wyverns has a light blade, but everyone is mostly unremarkable otherwise.

And you know what? I think we're actually alright. Chad's gonna need to hoof it to not get intercepted by the wyverns, but as far as immediate threats go we can just about get our dudes safely out of everyone's range.

Except for this archer. He's dead now. :v:

Frankly I'd like to have killed the bishop too, but alas, everyone who could have attacked him targets res, and not in a "still would've done a boatload of damage" way like Lilina.

Unsurprisingly everybody aggroes immediately. Also Cath is gone now. Turns out there was one set of stairs I overlooked: literally the other set in the room she starts from.

Time to start cleaning up the mess. Kicking things off, Cecilia and Hugh identify some more vulnerable targets for their magic.

Two more enemies go down, and Perceval finally gets that level! :toot:

Also I've changed my mind, Melady's just gonna kill this guy after all.

Reason being that we're instead going to send the axebros down here with their swordslayers to use the mercs as a training montage.

The only problem is, even with the swordslayers the math isn't great. Lot can survive one round of combat, against some of the mercs, if he's at literally full health, and iirc Wade can't even manage that. As such, Gonzalez is here too to offer his support.

Tempting as it might be to throw a knife at the archer through the wall, Chad really needs to keep it moving. Fae, Sin, and Gwendolyn are also on their way over to bail him out.

Ouch. Imagine he had even less of a chance to dodge and was also getting doubled, that's how Wade and Lot would be faring.

Unlucky, but Chad still beats him 1v1.

See?

You're gonna need to start getting better levels though, buddy. We've hit the point where the rest of the army is catching up to you.

...Like I said, the math isn't great. Sure, Lot ohkos, but that's only if he hits, which, ehhhh.

Instead, Astolfo and Gonzalez clear a path to the rearmost mercenary, who rolled low enough on his strength that even Wade can take the two hits.

Good thing, too! :sweatdrop: Feeling extremely justified about not sending Lot in against the other guy now.

Lot, you can't just get a crit and act like it makes up for Wade missing! That's not how this works!

So in the end, the training montage was just Lot killing one dude. Oh well, you can't win them all.

That's all the combat this turn. As for other business, Cecilia is joining in on operation save Chad from the wyverns, and Hugh has a member card we need to get over to the corner.

Speaking of which, it's finally time to recruit Zeiss! Seeing as Roy is in fact available, I figure we might as well prioritize the hack original content.

: ...And what if I am?

: I'm Roy, leader of the Lycian Army. Your sister has told me a lot about you.

...You know, even if we fill in the blanks ourselves and assume that Roy and Melady have actually spoken since her recruitment, I see no particular reason for Zeiss to come up as the topic of conversation. For that matter, even if he had, why would Roy be expecting to find him right now? Melady doesn't know he's here.

: So Melady really did betray us...! Very well. Allow me to join you for the time being. I'd like to talk to my sister.

I mean, I'm clearly putting too much thought into it. This is literally the entire conversation. It's obviously a gameplay concession more than anything else, the absolute bare minimum effort required to give you a way to recruit Zeiss without Melady.

Also, despite his last line, Zeiss can't actually talk to his sister, or vice versa. Both recruitment conversations share an event flag, so they're mutually exclusive. But now for the important question: what's Zeiss like as a unit?

pre:
Growths

HP   90   Lck  30
Str  70   Def  40
Skl  65   Res  15
Spd  25
He's still slightly underleveled, but Project Ember Zeiss is a far cry from the level 7 he joined at in vanilla. Heck, we could promote him immediately and he'd be more or less equivalent to Melady statwise. That wouldn't last long though, because unlike Melady, whose bases and growths are both fairly balanced across the board, Zeiss's solid base speed is hiding the fact that his growth is pretty terrible. He is a good bit stronger and tankier to compensate though, so over time our two wyvern riders will diverge quite nicely. On that note, since we already know that the hack likes to gently caress around with wyvern lords' weapon access, I'll go ahead and tell you now that Zeiss's promotion gives him axes, not swords, further differentiating him from his sister. And while I'm in a spoilery mood, here's something a bit more cryptic: Zeiss might be getting an extra toy later that makes him uniquely well suited to the endgame. :ssh:

Anyway, that was more or less the end of the turn, and all we have left to worry about at this point are the wyvern lords.

And worry about them we shall! The one with the light blade especially poses a problem, because he covers this entire hallway.

Fortunately everyone can go a round against him. Even Fae, who gets doubled, has enough resistance to tank two hits.

The plan for now is to break down this wall. It gets Chad to Narcian faster, and also means he can't be attacked by the light blade.

In fact, thanks to some inventory shuffling to give Chad an empty slot and put a bow back in Gwendolyn's hands, Fae is now the only person the light blade guy can attack without eating a counter in return.

There's also some inventory shuffling over here to eventually get all our bullions up to the secret shop, but we're essentially done on this side of the map, so you don't really need a full play-by-play.

Likewise, I'm just gonna run through all these chests at once when Astolfo's done.

Long story short, we have enough of a trading chain set up to visit this turn.

It's got all the usual suspects. However, we're not gonna buy anything yet, because Sue does not have the silver card. That's still on... Fae, I think?

Selling is fine, though.

Oh, and Roy/Sue B is ready. :toot:

: Lord Roy?

: Thanks for your advice.

: ...You look better.

: Do I?

: Your aura... has improved.

: What do you mean?

: It is softer. More comfortable.

: Do you think so? I can't really tell.

: Hm hm hm... Perhaps such things cannot be sensed by those who work the land.

: What is it?

: That's the first time I've heard you laugh.

: Really?

: Yes. Your laugh has a good aura to it, too.

: ...Thank you.

Cute. And surprisingly not ruined by me doing it on an indoor map!

On enemy phase, Fae exceeds our expectations and dodges one of the light blade hits.

It's the only attack any of the wyverns will get to make. :getin:

That just leaves Narcian (and Douglas (and bolting guy)). Chad should be safe enough to leave here between turns.

Let's see, what else... Oh! There's this rescue chain to get Elffin down here to speed up opening the chests. I don't really need to show it, but I'm proud enough of it that I want to anyway. :colbert:

Even without the delphi shield this damage isn't great, but tbf it is just an iron bow.

: And most importantly, I am right! Always! ...Me! No one else!

Well, at least if we don't manage to get Clarine up here we can rest easy knowing her brother got to clown on Narcian in her stead.

Are... are you sure about this Narcian? Like, on the one hand I get it; your hit rate with the runeblade probably wasn't much better, and this way you can at least theoretically kill Chad. But also, you've just made yourself so much easier to kill in the process.

Anyway, thanks for the empty inventory slot! :v:

We'll fill it back up in a second, but first, I hate leaving loose ends like this. Sin's already killed one bolting mage today, what's another?

Yoink!

Oh right, there was a specific reason I was having Klein take potshots at him. I think this is the last bow that needed to get put out of its misery.

Narcian's plan doesn't work any better the second time around.

Narcian unequipping his runeblade doesn't just make killing him easier. It also means we have no excuse not to grab as many boss conversations as we want. Zeiss, Clarine, it's all on the table.

: General Narcian... I heard everything from Sir Galle! Do you... have no sense of honor left in you at all?!

: Galle...! He has always been a thorn in my side! But no matter... After I wipe you up here, no one will know the truth...

There, now we can't say Zeiss hasn't seen any combat this chapter.

By the way, we've worn Narcian down enough that Fae could finish the job now. It'd be a massive waste of experience, but she could.

Chest time! And I know we've seen storm swords before, but since it's been a while, a quick reminder that they're the second tier of myrmidon ranged sword. Tier three has still only been on enemies so far.

Sin is closing in...

Elffin gets a level playing for Astolfo.

With the rest of our bullions and the silver card in hand, Sue's finally ready to start buying. ...Despite the update title for this chapter, I think we only really need one guiding ring? Raigh obviously needs one immediately, but I figure we'll probably have found another one by the time Sophia is ready to promote if ever, and Lugh, again, likely isn't going to.

I also get a couple angelic robes iirc.

Back to Narcian. It's Clarine's turn! She's also got a support ready with her brother. Maybe if we ever field him again I'll think about popping it, but for now, meh.

: Excuse me? Have we met before?

: What?! You have forgotten me?! That... is inconceivable!

:allears:

Alright, I think I'm ready for Narcian to die now. Who to give the kill to, though?

Not Perceval, but maybe they have dialogue, too?

: Joining you... was the greatest mistake of my life. I will make up for it... by defeating you!

Huh, maybe I should have given it to him, he seems pretty gungho about it.

But no, Roy hasn't had much to do this chapter besides run around talking to people, he deserves the honors.

: I will not be defeated...! Not by you... miserable... Gaahh!!

And clearly the RNG agrees, that is an excellent level.

Laugh while you can, bolting man, Sin's about to make a pincushion out of you.

...gently caress. Really I have no one to blame for this but myself; Sin's got enough range that I easily could have positioned him such that he could still attack this turn without the mage being able to pull this stunt. Now to kill him I'd have to have Sin run all the way back to the rest of the army, get healed, then come back down again? ...Nah, gently caress that, let's just end the chapter.

After I take care of one last thing. Between turns I decided to actually check and see when the next guiding ring is, and if we were going to Ilia there would in fact be one coming up pretty soon. Since we're going to Sacae though, there are literally none for the rest of the game, so uh, I guess we're buying a second one after all! :v:

Yes, this means Brunnya's guiding ring doesn't exist anymore; good riddance, I say.

:toot:

: My name is Roy. I am leader of the Lycian Army.

: My name is Mordred. Hm...

: ...I must ask another favor of you. Bern's soldiers have moved to the Saint's Tower.

: The Saint's Tower... That is where Saint Elimine's altar lies...

: Yes... It is a national symbol of Etruria. Please, recapture the tower.

: I will do what I can.

: I thank you. Please take anything in the tower that you may find useful.

"Like a legendary weapon that you'll probably never be able to use." To be fair, we do have what, twice as many potential Aureola users as in vanilla? But you still need to be pretty dedicated to get any of them to S rank light.

: He must have been an easy target for Bern.

: I wish I could help him... but I wouldn't know where to begin.

: When the time comes, I will make my return.

Nice that the game does take a brief moment to acknowledge this if Elffin is still alive. ...Actually, now I'm curious, do you still get this little aside if you went A route and have Larum instead? I could see it going either way, since both of them are still traveling with us regardless.

Next time: The return of Roach.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Gotta give props to Clarine. As a hospitality professional I can attest to the fact that pretending not to remember assholes is SUCH a power move. You don't need magic when you can make a man collapse with your words

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It's weird seeing Lot and Ward and not immediately wondering which is which because i've finally beaten fe6 and actually got a decent Lot to boot. Maybe the first time I've ever used a fighter for my axe guy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm glad this LP is still getting updates, I enjoy reading them a lot.

I'm really curious what Cath gets that's so special when we finally recruit her.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

In the tower lay numerous sacred relics relating to her.

Quick intro. Also Windham is an A++ name, I'm trying to work it into a joke somehow but the most I've come up with is something about flying pigs.

Wait, I've got it! The glorious ascension! That's what they call it when pigs fly! :v:

...Maybe Windham is just the hypothetical flying pig's name too? Is that anything?

: What of me?! I betrayed the church and took over this tower for him!

: Lord Roartz's message said that he considers your work a failure. He says that because you couldn't bend the church, he has no use for you.

Anyway, Roach is here. Hi Roach!

: This is all Yoder's fault. If he hadn't meddled in my affairs...

: ...

: ...Very well... Then this is our last mission.

: If we are to die, then the Lycian Army shall fall along with us! Prepare the Heavenly Arrows!

Oh right, this loving gimmick.

: But if we use those, we'll hit our own men as well!

Up to the previous line, this cutscene is more or less identical in vanilla, just with a generic soldier in place of Roach, but things diverge here.

: Don't forget that I control the fate of your men's puny lives. If you don't obey my every command, I'll have them all executed for treason!

: ...Yes, Lord Windham...

: After you prepare the Arrows, I expect you to lead our forces from the front. Do you understand?

: Yes...

He's not kidding either, Roach literally walks all the way from the throne to right in front of our army. It flows very nicely into the perspective shift.

: Saint Elimine's weapon, the Aureola spell tome, lies within.

: Thank you, Sir Douglas. Although we were enemies earlier, I appreciate your help.

: I have no need for thanks. I do as the king orders. Do not concern yourself.

: You saved Etruria. It is an honor to fight alongside you.

: Sir Douglas...

...is very dumb? Yes Roy, I agree. Map time!

If not for the split in the cav formations, this map would be entirely symmetrical, enemy layouts included. I like it, it's very aesthetically pleasing.

We're actually going to start by looking at the boss today. Windham is... interesting.

He's gone for the bold strategy of being completely defenseless at close range. We'll see how that works out for him. I also like how his boss status has left him with both much higher defense and much lower resistance than an average bishop. :v:

Seriously though, I actually think it's pretty cool what the hack has done with Windham. Putting the boss in more of a support role isn't something you see all that often in SRPGs. Also he has a berserk staff in vanilla, so you know, clear upgrade there in terms of not being annoying as poo poo.

Windham's not alone, though. Literally every magic user north of the two shamans has a siege tome, plus the boxed in sage of course.

Notably, the northern sage has a silence staff to go with it. It is, thankfully, the only status staff on the map; the bishops just have physic.

Besides the obvious question you're probably asking (which I'll get to in a moment), none of the other enemies really have much going on. The cavs do have their own little bit of symmetry to make up for ruining the map as a whole, though.

On both sides, there's a promoted unit with silvers.

A cav with reavers and an elixir, which are incidentally the only stealables other than a few vulneraries.

A cav with a brave weapon and a ranged option.

And one with only a ranged option. I dunno, I just think it's neat. :shrug:

Okay, enough stalling, time to address the elephant in the room: What's the deal with all these loving soldiers?

We'll start with Roach himself. He... actually has pretty good stats for his level? A shame he can't use that brave lance he's carrying. I believe I mentioned offhand a while back that silver and brave weapons had their weapon ranks swapped between versions of Project Ember at one point, with certain units' inventories/ranks not getting properly updated to accommodate the change. Roach is by far the most prominent instance of this.

The stats on the rest of the soldiers are equally impressive! Also they uh, they all have portraits. Green portraits.

So now that I've spooked all the Thracia veterans in the audience, some words of reassurance: While what we're about to do is conceptually similar to Xavier's recruitment, it's not nearly as much of a pain in the rear end. Not even in the same ballpark. Also Xavier isn't even good, while this is going to be well worth the effort.

And uh, yeah, that's it. Which means you know what time it is:

Vote

Current Stats

As usual for a gaiden, we don't have a whole lot of room. There's nobody required for reasons relating to the chapter itself, but as a reminder, Shanna and Thea are still off limits, and Sue and Sin are in by default. Not strictly necessary at this point, but eh, they'll come in handy for this map anyway. That gives y'all 9 slots to work with. Voting will close... sometime. Look, it's Thanksgiving, we're gonna play this one by ear. Definitely by, like, Monday at the latest.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Fae, Zeiss, Wade, Lot, Rutger, Dorothy, Noah, Bors, Elffin

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Debias (to show Roach that we're merciful to traitors or something idk), Hugh, Zeiss, Clarine, Klein, Cecilia, Perceval, Elffin and Fir

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Debias, lord among men, Gwendolyn, Barth, Bors, Gonzales, Geese, Wade, lot, and zeiss, because he has 20 base strength and what better way to show him off than deploying him into a map smothered in seige tomes that shred his low res and speed?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gwendolyn, Debias, Bors, Barthe

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Trec, Dorothy, Fir, and Ogier.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Nihilarian posted:

Gwendolyn, Debias, Bors, Barthe

A good post

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wait is Douglas auto deploy? If not, Douglas.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

If nothing is changed, he doesn't formally join until you start the mission.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Yeah, Douglas joins after the map starts.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Fir and Dorothy, and the rest of my votes go to Cattail Prophet so long as they aren't used to push Fir and Dorothy out.

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
Gwendolyn cause its funny to see knights no sell magic, Melady, Terc cause he's close to promotion, and Perceval.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Gonna toss a vote for Hugh because Sage might be my favorite GBA sprite and I want to see it in action for a bit.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Lilina and every other vote is LPer's Choice.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Voting is closed!

Bors: 4
Debias: 4
Gwendolyn: 4
Zeiss: 3
Dorothy: 3
Fir: 3
Barthe: 3
Wade: 2
Lot: 2
Elffin: 2
Hugh: 2
Perceval: 2
Trec: 2
Fae: 1
Rutger: 1
Noah: 1
Clarine: 1
Klein: 1
Cecilia: 1
Gonzalez: 1
Geese: 1
Ogier: 1
Melady: 1
Lilina: 1

LPer's choice: 15

Armor central over here. All of them except Barthe are pretty much locked in, and I'm torn on him. On the one hand, it bugs me seeing him just sitting there at level 20, and it would be pretty funny to bring literally every knight. On the other hand, this really isn't a good map for him. Meh, whatever, he can come. I am gonna veto Zeiss though, we'll have plenty of time to play with him later. That just leaves sorting out the 2 vote crew. Let's go with... Elffin, Trec, and Hugh. That way I at least have a healer, plus an elixir pack mule. Side note, I think this is literally only the second time we haven't deployed Lilina.

The team is: Roy, Sue, Sin, Bors, Debias, Gwendolyn, Dorothy, Fir, Barthe, Elffin, Hugh, Trec

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Not an update proper, but something that must be shared regardless. I present to you, A Tragedy In Several Parts:

Roy was not supposed to crit this guy, now there's room for someone else to attack from melee.

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress!

Dodging one of these? Easy. Dodging all of them? Actually kind of hard! There were even two more crits in there, not that they matter. Good job Roy, looks like we're in the clear after all-

Haha no, Heavenly Arrows say gently caress you anyway.

:negative:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Roy's our boy! Dying against all odds

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

He should've just dodged the heavenly arrow too. He truly did let us all down.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Not that I was actually expecting to have that much trouble, but the chapter ended up going a lot more smoothly than some of this squad might suggest. (Certain... unfortunate incidents notwithstanding.)

A promotion item for Barthe, obviously, and Trec's probably gonna need one too. I also make the incredibly optimistic choice to bring along a hero crest as well, just in case Fir somehow makes it all the way to 20. (Spoilers, she does not.)

As our sole staff user, Hugh's inventory is spread rather thin to cover all our bases. I was trying to fit restore in somewhere too, but then I realized it literally doesn't matter. Silence is the only status staff the enemy has, and Hugh's our only mage; he can't exactly use restore on himself.

Oh, and Gwendolyn's bringing the longbow along again. We might even use it this time!

In keeping with the chapter's own symmetry, I figure it'd be nice to employ some of our own. The team actually works pretty well for that: We've got two generals, two unpromoted knights (for now), two nomads, two other people on horses, two units who are both underleveled and squishy, and two healer/supports. Each side of the map will be getting one from each pair.

Douglas is the only thing breaking up the balance, but that's fine. We can just split him and Roach up once the latter gets recruited. First though, we should take a look at Douglas' stats:

pre:
Growths

HP    0   Lck 200
Str 100   Def   0
Skl 200   Res 100
Spd 100
Douglas has a lot going on, and more than any other character I can't really give him a fair assessment yet without spoiling things. So let's just work with what we've got. First, his growths. Douglas is doing an obvious gimmick: all of his growths are completely fixed. In each of his three remaining levels he will gain two skill and luck, and one strength, speed, and resistance. It's a neat idea, and I appreciate the hack being willing to go a little bit outside the box with unit concepts. Douglas' statline as a whole is more or less what you'd expect from a knight; not quite as lopsided as Barthe, but not playing against type like Bors or Gwendolyn. Between that and his solid weapon ranks across the board, Douglas is basically a Debias with a luck stat. Which isn't the worst thing to be, I guess. I'm not afraid to admit I was too harsh on Debias at first. He's definitely fallen off a bit, but I sorely underestimated how valuable it is to have a second tanky archer during the midgame.

The wishblade, much like Douglas himself, isn't anything super flashy, but it's a solid, reliable weapon nonetheless. Funnily enough, it's nearly an exact carbon copy of the PoR version of its namesake, with the only difference being that Douglas' wishblade has five more uses. The option to use it at range would be more exciting if generals didn't already have bow access, but it's easily strong enough to be the only lance Douglas needs to carry around, so I won't hold that against it.

I see no reason not to just do this immediately.

: General Douglas!? You've returned?!

: That's right. The king is safe now.

: Is that true, General?! If so, then there's no reason for us to fight the Lycians!

: Correct, Roach. You're free to go if you wish.

: ...I can't. My men are stuck serving that dastard Windham. He's blackmailed them and threatened their families.

: ...I understand. I'll ask Lord Roy to spare your men.

: Thank you, General Douglas. Please allow me to accompany you.

: Very well.

Douglas. Listen. You could learn a thing or two from your subordinate. The threat Roach is facing is much more immediate and far reaching than the possibility of the king being killed, but do you see him refusing to turn blue? No!

...Wait, what's the point of all the other soldiers, then?

So I actually kind of like that Roach can't use his brave lance. It's a convenient way to signal to the player that there's something weird going on, and maybe you should take it off of him. Notice how I haven't provided Roach's growths? Yeah, uh, we don't get to keep him. Not yet, at least. There's a different reward for what we need to do here. Which begs the question, what do we need to do? I'm not interested in playing coy right now, so here's a full rundown of our goals:

Step 1: Talk to Roach with Douglas. Check.
Step 2: Have Roach talk to one of the other soldiers. This turns all of them green.
Step 3: Have all of the soldiers survive the chapter.

Obviously you want to wait until you're more or less ready to end the map before moving on to step 2, but that's not as much of a problem as it sounds like it might be. None of the soldiers move, so it's a fairly simple matter to weave around them as you advance. The only other wrinkle is the heavenly arrows, which theoretically add a time limit to the whole scenario. In practice though, you'd have to be going unreasonably slow for that to even come close to being an issue, and even then Windham might just heal them if they get low enough anyway.

With that explanation out of the way, it's time to start the map properly. Look, if these two bags of experience are just going to present themselves on a silver platter, you'd better believe I'm taking advantage.

Now, before we do anything else, let's double check the range on that first bolting sage. With our current arrangement, only Debias and Gwendolyn are close enough to enter the danger zone. And Roach I guess, but there's no good reason to let him see any combat at all.

Both of them have plenty of bulk to survive both bolting and these mercs, so they can go ahead and move all the way up.

Otherwise, this turn is mostly just busywork. First up, Barthe's promotion. That +3 speed actually goes a long way towards getting him out of the "doubled by literally everything" zone. He still gets doubled by a lot of things, mind, but every little bit helps.

Hugh's going to be tossing out a barrier pretty much any time he has a spare turn. Most of them don't end up being that necessary, but better safe than sorry.

Here Barthe, you have an open slot now, take this!

And Bors can go hang out with Debias. Maybe we'll get that B support unlocked by the end of the map!

Like I said, I wasn't worried.

Gwendolyn even profits off of the exchange!

Most of the enemies are content to stay put for now. The only movement is from these two mages.

Realistically there was no way he was going for Gwendolyn instead, so this is fine.

The first couple turns of heavenly arrows probably won't hit anyone unless you're doing something very stupid. Mostly I'm just impressed I managed to catch it in action. They fly past extremely quickly, and personally I don't care enough about them to go back and grab screenshots after the fact.

Speaking of things that are hard to capture in the moment, this was very unnecessary, Bors.

Our nomads send the mages packing.

And with Elffin's help, the sage goes down too. Anytime you want to start getting good levels is fine by me, Sue.

In theory this is as far as we can go without risking more boltings. This is the other sage's range, for instance. However, I know from previous experience that none of those guys move, so we've actually got some more room to maneuver.

A rescue chain blocks off one knight while giving Bors another opportunity to contribute.

Meanwhile, Gwendolyn mostly kills the other one. I'm actually glad she didn't crit, now this guy will make a nice meal for Fir next turn.

And that's it. We're a little cramped right now, but that'll stop once we get past these one tile staircases and the two groups split properly.

No surprises here.

That's a bit unexpected though. Apparently Bors is just close enough to pull a couple of these guys, but not all of them.

See, this is what most of my attempts to screenshot the heavenly arrows look like.

Ok, so. This square is the actual bottom of the left mage's range. Drawing a diagonal line up from there, we can see that there's plenty of room in the corridor to sneak past, and the same goes for the other side.

What I'm more concerned about is this guy's silence range. He and Hugh have basically the same magic stat, so if Hugh can reach him, he can reach Hugh.

And based on how high that hit rate is, it's a very good thing Hugh gets first crack at it.

Lame. This level was actually pretty good in my first attempt.

Now we'll have him go again to patch Sin up.

Because I see no reason not to take out these snipers ahead of time, and now Sin has just enough HP that he could have tanked that 1% crit.

Gwendolyn moves to lure out this merc and make room for Fir to finish off the knight.

We're done on this side now, but suddenly it's dawned on me that I'm sending Elffin to the left, while both of the people that need these promotion items are going right. Let's fix that, shall we?

Over on the other side, Dorothy and Bors team up against knight number two. Dorothy gets A bows in the process, which is... actually kind of nice. It means we can hand her the brave bow if we need to.

An easy kill on the merc.

12% is a lot more than 1%, but Debias can get crit twice for all I care.

Or just crit once himself, that works too.

Don't worry Douglas, I promise you'll get to do something eventually.

That... sure is a frame right there. Gwendolyn's not fast enough to double this one, so he gets to live for now.

I don't think I actually ran the math on this, yikes. :sweatdrop:

Two arrows this turn, catching a bunch of the generic soldiers and also Roach.

Oh, and the rest of these two groups advanced, so we've got a lot of dudes up in our grill right now. I'm not worried about the right side; between Gwendolyn, Barthe, and Trec we can pretty easily set up a defensive wall. Debias and Douglas are probably enough to do the same on the left tbh, but with how far back they are it'd mean doing basically nothing with the rest of that team. No, I have a much bolder play in mind.

The first step is to heal Bors. If we're going to make this work, we can't afford to waste time grabbing elixirs.

Also oops, guess I should've kept Polaris on Hugh. Whatever, it's fine.

Back to the business at hand. The plan is simple: kill as many enemies as possible. So far so good.

Unfortunately these two together can do just enough damage to kill either Roy or Sue, so we still need to get rid of one more.

What's worse, Debias can't quite get down there on his own, and even after an assist from Elffin I'm not exactly loving any of these options. In retrospect I probably should have had him grab Bors' horseslayer with his first action. Although, he does come tantalizingly close to killing the archer outright even without a crit. Maybe if we gave him a stronger bow...

Perfect.

Except, looking again, I may have put too much confidence in Bors' ability to tank the remaining guy. Oh well, hopefully the horseslayer is enough to dissuade him.

And yeah, the other side is much easier. Fingers crossed!

Uh huh, uh huh...

Phew, we're in the clear.

Turns out Hugh didn't need polaris after all. :v:

Okay yeah, I ran the numbers, and Bors would definitely be dead right now if the cav had attacked him. Good thing the AI doesn't account for heavenly arrows!

This turn is mostly just cleanup, after which we're going to have a fair amount of walking ahead of us.

Here's something, though! If memory serves, we actually got enough points for this way back at the end of chapter 12, but we were knee deep in wyverns at that point and didn't have time to do anything about it. And this is the first time Barthe and Gwendolyn have been deployed together since then, so here we are.

: A knight of Ostia shouldn't be heaving after a light battle like that.

: Yes, I'm sorry, sir.

: Remember our training, Gwendolyn! Remember how we sprint-marched over that mountain. This is nothing compared to that!

: Yes, sir!

: Show the enemy... why they should fear the knights of Ostia!

: Yes, sir!

...Gwendolyn spoke eight words in that support, and six of them were "yes, sir."

Cleanup on the other side now.

And a not terribly necessary rescue chain so that Sue can kill this shaman instead of Roy.

I think you can trust that she succeeds, so let's skip ahead to the end of the next turn. We've advanced pretty far, but we should still be just outside of siege tome range.

...Oh, apparently the purge bishops do move. That's cool I guess.

Fortunately everyone is pretty healthy right now, so it's not a huge problem.

It doesn't really change my plans much, either; they were already going to die this turn.

We do have to be a bit mindful, though. The right bishop can't be attacked without entering bolting range, plus we've only got one turn left on the sage's silence.

Granted, all of that would be true whether the bishops had moved or not.

In fact, the left bishop has actually made my plans easier. He moved up far enough that he can be attacked from outside bolting range, and he's even close enough that Dorothy can reach him with just Elffin's help instead of me needing to set up a rescue chain first.

For gently caress's sake, Dorothy. :cripes:

Eh, whatever, nobody's in any immediate danger and I'd still like to give Dorothy the kill. Congratulations, you get to live another turn!

Oh right, Dorothy's luck is garbage. Dodged a bullet there! :sweatdrop:

Sin's fine, though.

Yikes, this would've killed Dorothy too, if she'd been standing a space to the left.

Alright Dorothy, once more, with feeling!

I'll give her this, she's been getting the exact stats she needs to stay vaguely relevant.

Anyway, as the heavenly arrows have just reminded us, leaving Dorothy in this state would be extraordinarily unwise.

She'll drink that elixir just as soon as we activate Bors/Debias B. Knight supports everywhere today!

: S-sir Bors! Good to see you! I assure you, just now I was checking to make sure there were no more lingering enem--

: Peace, Debias. Like before, I was watching you again today. Whether it's out of fear or something else, your performance has actually taken a sudden incline, to everyone's surprise.

: One can't help but wonder... Why didn't you choose to expend this effort for our sake initially, back when Ostia was under siege by the rebellion? I imagine that if you and your squadron had sided with Barthe and the others, that would have tipped the odds in your favor.

: Well, yes, but...

: But...?

: There were two other factors. Even if I had helped you guys retake the castle, I would never imagine that we'd make a stand against Bern. Especially since one of their Wyvern Generals was on their way there. To me, it would have meant nothing to take the castle, but just die right after.

Honestly? Fair. Also "you guys" feels like a weirdly casual turn of phrase to use here, but that's just me.

: I see... You said there was another factor?

: Yes. I've been a knight for most of my adult life. But a good part of that was just... out of obligation. At the end of the day, I really just want a quiet little area to live in, and a full stomach. Legance had promised such luxuries to me once the conflict was over, if I were to side with him.

Honestly? Also fair.

: ......I'm to understand that... You would throw away everything you've been loyal to for your whole life, just so that you could have an extended period of relaxation? Tell me this is a joke!

: G... G-gahhhh!

: I at least should have listened to his whole story before reacting like that.

All in all, a solid support, with a decent amount of actual insight into Debias as a character. His cowardice feels more relatable than comical, now.

Dorothy heals up as promised, and Roy could use a top up too. That pretty much wraps up this side.

Over on the right, some good news: Gwendolyn is just close enough to neutralize silence guy for good. :toot:

More advancing. Note that this soldier is rocking a javelin, so we need to be a bit more careful where we leave people around him.

Is... is that what I think it is?

Fuuuuck, it is. Not just a reinforcement bishop, an rear end in a top hat reinforcement bishop. ...At least he doesn't have another purge?

I think Bors lucked out here again, this time that the AI has such a hate-on for dancers. Pretty sure both of these together would have killed him.

There's no matching bishop on the other side though, which is... suspicious.

Soldiers are gettin' hit again.

Hmm. Obviously we're gonna kill this guy immediately, but we should probably check his inventory, just in case.

Oh good, more silence. :sigh:

Anyway, here Dorothy, I wasn't really expecting you to see any more combat this map, but why not?

So uh, I had been planning to race ahead with the nomads to take out both remaining boltings, but uh, turns out the two generals have horseslayers, and we can't really get rid of them this turn.

So instead let's take a more defensive approach. Don't ask me which of these is Douglas and which is Debias. The enemy general can attack whichever one he wants, I don't really care.

That's the extent of that formation, so here, have an Elffin level.

This, on the other hand, is definitely Barthe.

Gwendolyn will instead be standing here... just in case.

Looking ahead, Trec still hasn't hit 20, so the goal is to make that happen before we run out of enemies. Heck, I would've had him bait out the general, but again, horseslayer.

So yeah, that's the state of things. We've got... four enemies left that we actually want to kill, plus Windham.

Everything goes more or less as expected on enemy phase, although props to Barthe for dodging that bolting.

On to business. Killing this general is simple enough, so here Douglas, I promised you action earlier.

Now we can do the thing I wanted to do last turn, at least with Sue. Sin is unfortunately out of position now.

It's extra unfortunate, because once again these two together can just about kill Sue. So uh, let's do something about that.

There, better. Although I almost made a mistake and dropped her into the space above, which wouldn't actually be far enough back.

The other general is... trickier. I still want Trec to get the kill, which he can't quite do yet without a crit.

So of course he gets one anyway, even though he isn't using his killer axe. :v:

An uncharacteristically lackluster Trec level, but still, look at that fuckin' statline. He really doesn't have any downsides.

The soldier's gonna attack him now, but honestly? Who cares at this point. Now to just move Sin up to get rid of the last bolting, and we can end turn.

Yeah, there he is. A turn later than I was expecting, but he's here nonetheless.

First though, this rear end in a top hat.

: Everything to ash!

lol. lmao even.

Yeah, I figured. Nice dodge, Hugh!

You too, Barthe! ...gently caress, that's weird to say.

Way to break the streak, Trec. :mad: ...Is what I would say, but really? Good for you, generic soldier! You accomplished something, kinda.

Next turn. Our first move is obvious.

And- oh gently caress off, you couldn't have moved forward just a little bit? We could just kill him with Gwendolyn I guess, but that's no fun.

Fine, let's go ahead and refresh Fir's barrier buff while we still can, and move her into the danger zone. I maybe wouldn't be quite so adamant about this, except she's got a two use wind edge that I want to get rid of, for Reasons.

Those reasons are that we don't currently have another empty inventory slot for that hero crest on this side of the map, and I'm certainly not letting Roach run off with it. I'm willing to sacrifice that two use javelin if absolutely necessary, but I'd really rather not.

Anyway, there's some shuffling around of the rest of our units, mostly to facilitate support gains, but this business with the bishop is all we really care about at this point.

Sadly, Hugh isn't able to dodge silence a second time. Sin's luck finally turns too, for all that it matters.

The bad news is that the bishop is still hiding behind the soldier. The good news is that now that Hugh is silenced, he has no choice but to walk forward and attack Fir.

Which he does. And just in case you thought barrier was overly cautious, he's actually got a pretty significant raw crit chance thanks to his divine tome. A turn later and a crit would have actually killed Fir outright. Not that he actually does crit here, mind.

Fir does, though. :v:

With that taken care of, all that's left is to talk to the soldiers and deal with Windham. Heck, we've stalled long enough that I think he's only got one purge use left.

But first, I'll go ahead and take that, thank you.

: I bear good news, men. Our homeland is liberated and our king is safe. You've no need to keep fighting.

: Don't worry, the Lycians and I will take care of him. He can't threaten you or your families any longer.

: Do as you wish, men. Your lives are you own.

I do like how these two generics switch off for every line.

: drat that treacherous Roach!!

Windham's reaction is pretty good, too. :allears:

Now, you probably assumed the reason we waited until the very end to do this is so the soldiers don't instantly get themselves killed. And that's not, like, wrong, though I'll note that it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility for them to survive one enemy phase, as long as you haven't massively overextended and had Roach talk to them at the earliest possible opportunity.

However, there's another, much more specific reason we waited. I'll give you a hint. Did you know that despite the main game being nothing but seize maps, FE6's engine actually natively supports pretty much all the same victory conditions as the other GBA games? It even uses them! ...In the trial maps. (Also endgame, technically.)

Yeah, this is now a defeat boss map. Has been the whole time, in fact. I was actually about to say the opposite, but then I reloaded the save to double check, and yeah, that's been the objective since turn 1.

Why does this matter? Well, unlike seizing, which only Roy can do, killing Windham is something the soldiers are perfectly capable of accomplishing on their own. Either you end the map, or they end it for you. Heck, if we hadn't already been stalling for time these last few turns, I'd be inclined to let them, because it's very funny.

Seeing as our entire team on the left side is already so close by though, we might as well do it ourselves.

Besides, having Douglas kill him is pretty funny too. Roach would be even funnier, but that actually would be pretty hard to do without going out of your way to set it up.

Surprisingly, Douglas doesn't have any dialogue with him. I'm honestly a little disappointed. But hey! The map's over! Time for cutscenes.

After a parade of hidden mechanisms and traps, it's refreshing that one of the legendary weapons is just, like, sitting out in the open once you reach the room it's in.

: This is the Glorious Ascension, Aureola, Saint Elimine's weapon.

: May we make use of it?

: The king said to take anything in the tower that may be of use. The St. Elimine Church is on our side as well. If any oppose our use of it, then I will negotiate.

: All right. Thank you, Sir Douglas.

All well and good, but the relevant question here isn't so much "may" as it is "can." To answer that, we will just have to wait and see.

Now to find out why we went to all this trouble.

: My men are safe now thanks to you.

: You should thank Roy, not me. He's the one who saved our nation.

: Yes, but you're the one who ensured the safety of my men. It isn't much, but please, take this. I'm sure it'll be of more use to you.

Goodies! :neckbeard: I'm not sure if this is an all or nothing situation, or if there's a sliding scale of rewards based on how many soldiers you saved. Honestly, I kind of forgot these items even existed!

: Should you ever find yourself in a dire situation, don't hesitate to call upon me. My men and I will always be loyal to you.

: ...Roach, thank you.

Because this is what we really care about. As for what exactly it means, all will become clear later. For now, back to your regularly scheduled plot.

: ...The attack on Bern will begin after we finish in Etruria.

: Did someone tell you already?

: No... I simply knew that it would come to this eventually.

: ...We cannot leave Bern unopposed any longer. I know it will be painful to see your homeland invaded, but...

: Bern's greatest treasure... the Fire Emblem.

: What?!

Literally the name of the series you're in, Roy. Get with the program.

: Within it lies the sword of Hartmut, founder of Bern.

: Is it... a legendary weapon?

: Yes. The most powerful of them all, in fact. It was made to slay the leader of the dragons in the Scouring. It's (sic) power was so immense that it had to be sealed away after the war. The Fire Emblem is the key to accessing it once more.

: The key...

: My brother... is forcing the world into submission with military might. I cannot forgive him, no matter his reasons.

: All we must do to stop him is defeat the dragons he commands.

: Princess Guinivere...

: No...

: The people will resent me for the rest of my days. Roy, promise me this one thing. When we invade Bern, do not harm any civilians...

I feel like this was never really in doubt? But sure, I guess it never hurts to get confirmation.

: I will not. I promise you.

: ...Thank you.

Oh right, we have this now. Credit where credit is due, if we ever do get someone up to S light, Aureola is uh, pretty loving good. Not quite as much raw power as Forblaze, but with a better stat boost and a spicy 30 crit on top.

Next time: It is officially Later.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Good, Wendy. Play the long game. Pretend you couldn't stop Barthe to the curb.

For now

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
If memory serves, the only Tomahawk in vanilla is Murdock's, and the Spear isn't accessible at all.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I believe both of those are correct, yeah. I was just talking about those rewards specifically, though; Project Ember has already given us at least one of each to play with before this.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 31, 2023

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Driven away from the palace,

I know I've mentioned it at least once, but in case you forgot, we will be flying semi-blind for the next few chapters; I haven't played through Sacae in Project Ember yet. I figure it's only fair, since I haven't played through Ilia in vanilla.

Before Bern's invasion, it was home to numerous nomadic clans.

To be clear, I know the broad strokes of what's been changed, more or less. I'm just liable to get caught off guard by reinforcement spawns and the like, especially since it's been quite a while since my vanilla playthrough.

The first is to elminate the remnants of the revolution,

Roy formally decides to call his force the Etrurian Army.

Feels like there's an obvious followup question here that's not being addressed.

Roy is to lead the division that will begin the offensive in Sacae. The people of Sacae are wary of outsiders, which is challenge enough,

has the Djute, the largest clan in Sacae, under her control.

Roy knows it is unlikely he will find any respite in this foreign land...

Oh thank goodness, that intro was being extremely unhelpful towards my screenshots vs text priorities.

: Yes, milady. We've received confirmation.

: I see...

: You have our protection, Lord Roartz. You have helped us so much already. We shall not neglect you.

: I thank you...

Don't thank her just yet, Arcardo...

: Lord Arcardo, I assign you to defend this land of Talas. Lord Roartz, your post will be the city of Bulgar.

: But this is so close to Aquleia. The enemy draws near!

: Then stop them in their tracks. This region's proximity to Aquleia makes it strategically invaluable. It would be an ideal base of operations if the enemy can be repelled.

: That much is true...

: I hear there is great unrest among the nomads...

: Force them into submission. That is your specialty, is it not?

: I suppose, but...

: Rumor says that Roy, commander of the attacking army, is but a boy. Even so, he has led his army to victory through countless skirmishes and traps. Under his guidance, the Lycian Army has been rebuilt stronger than ever. He has gone through greater hardships than you, yet you complain? Do you intend to lose to a child?

: I must be off. I pray for your success.

I mean, she's got a point. By all rights Roy should never have made it this far.

This scene transition feels... unnecessary.

: They are disgraceful cowards who cast away their homeland to save their necks. We owe them nothing. They should be grateful to receive the few troops they have.

Now for an actual scene transition.

: Thank you for everything, Father Yoder. We've only made it this far thanks to the assistance of the church.

: I am only repaying your favor. Had you not captured Aquleia, we would suffer great persecution from Bern. This is nothing compared to what you did for us.

: It was my pleasure to help the church.

: If I may be so bold... Can I ask one more favor?

: Of course, if I am capable.

: If you discover anything else about the dragons...

: Say no more. If I find anything new, I will report to you immediately.

: You have my eternal thanks. ...Oh yes, one word of caution before you go. The lands around here... They are surrounded by high mountains and hills. It is also difficult to see in the dark of the night...

No, really? I definitely hadn't noticed the fog of war everywhere.

: These are ideal conditions for an ambush...

: Exactly. Castle Talas up ahead is under Bern's control.

: I'll bear that in mind. Thank you for the advice.

: Not at all. May the Etrurian Army go with Saint Elimine's blessing.

Normally that's where things would end, but we have a little extra business to take care of.

Lowen finally made it! :toot:

: Please, forgive me for being late!

: Lowen!? What are you doing here?

: Lord Eliwood sent me to assist you in the battle of Aquleia, but I was late... Please forgive me, Lord Roy!

: ...Lowen, it's fine. The fact that you're here now is more than enough.

: Thank you, my lord! It seems you are just as merciful as your father!

But wait, there's more!

: Now before I ride off, Lord Eliwood asked for this lance to be delivered to Sir Marcus.

: Is there something special about it?

: Not that I know of, no... However, Lord Eliwood was insistent. Apparently it's the very same lance Marcus used in the war against Nergal years ago.

: I see... I'll make sure it gets to him.

Yes, those are really its stats. Don't worry about it! Worry about the map instead, because now we're done.

...Yep, that sure is a fog of war map.

Uhhh, here's the one enemy we can actually see. Exciting, I know.

Otherwise, I'll just point out the ballista towards the end and the arena in the bottom left. The latter might be particularly relevant for the...

Vote

Current Stats

First things first, Douglas is coming again so I can show off what Roach was talking about last chapter. Marcus I'm not going to require, but if you want to find out what the deal is with the olden lance now instead of at the next chapter's prep screen, it's something to consider. As for the fog, one thief is probably enough, but again, I wouldn't say no to both. A few other notes:

As a reminder, the peg knights are fair game again. Thea in particular has that shiny new promotion that we haven't taken for a spin yet!

Speaking of promotions, a word of warning for the future: Once we reach the end of the route split, anyone that's still unpromoted is getting permabenched unless I say otherwise. Ilia has another arena at the end of the route, but for Sacae, the one on this map is it, so if there's someone that's fallen to the wayside that you'd like to see back in the spotlight, now is likely your best chance to make that happen.

At the end of the day, that leaves 13 slots to be filled, including the thief. And we're back to the usual 48 hour voting period. Have at it!

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Well if we're the Etrurian Army, we have to bring Cecilia and Perceval. Sue and Shin since its Sacae, and let's bring Marcus so we can find out what the deal is with that lance. Lilina and Clarine for favouritism bias, and the rest I leave to you.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Debias, savior of eturia, bors, Gwendolyn, barthe, Dorothy, fir, Gonzales, Wade, lot, Sophia, Geese, shanna, marcus.

Let's keep as many people on the table as we can.

But not at the expense of always voting all the armor knights.

Or old men. Can't forget the old men.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Sin, Lilina, Geese, Melody, Chad, Clarine, Raigh, Ogier, Marcus, Thea, 3x LPers choice

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Treck, Cecilia, Klein, Alen, Saul, Astolfo, Dieck, Wolt, Lilina, Bartre, Zeiss, Raigh and Fir

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
(13 slots since Douglas is required for Roach)

Marcus, Elffin, Astolfo, Fae for Olden Lance, Etruria, thief, and dragon

This is perfect since we have 9 votes left for the newbies (level 15 and under). Train every last one of them!
Dorothy
Sophia
Lot
Wade
Dieck
Shanna
Rutger
Noah
Zeiss

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Lilina, Clarine, Thea, Melody, and idk, all the characters in this game kinda melt together for me. rest of the slots are yours.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

barthe, gwendolyn, bors, debias

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Marcus, and all others are LPer Choice between Fir and Rutger.