Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vyacheslav
Aug 4, 2003
I wonder about this too, and the situation in Jackson has really brought it front of mind. Somebody somewhere talked about what you're saying, how collapse isn't a single cataclysmic event, but a series of smaller ones, as the state is gradually less able to respond, and things start to fray around the edges.

I think we're already in that process, what's happening in Jackson is connected to the flood response in Kentucky, to Hurricane Maria, to Flint, to Katrina.

And sure, a lot of these of are natural disasters driven by racial politics, but hey, it's not like the natural disasters or racism is going to stop, the only factor that changes is the system, and it's capacity to respond to them.

I also think a lot about infrastructure, and how we're barely building any new infrastructure, much less maintaining what we have. From a perspective of public works, I think my whole life time has been after the high water mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU