Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If you’re a booster and all you care about is winning, Brian Kelly definitely is the move that makes way more sense. Guy won a bunch of games at ND, although not in the playoffs. He has a proven record against other P5 teams. Tons of coaches have looked great in G5 and stumbled hard once they moved to P5.

But I’m glad LSU fell flat on their face yesterday. Here’s hoping they do that a few more times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

I. M. Gei posted:

guys help I'm getting ideas that Texas can beat Bama

think of it this way: that's impossible and it will never happen

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
the LSU meltdown is incredible. it was one game to start the season after 2 years of talent drain. and it was close! and they didn't look like a bad team!

calm the gently caress down

I. M. Gei posted:

lolll

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LSU passing on Napier because he was G5 is really dumb, but I’m very ok with it.

Kelly has been a distasteful rear end in a top hat his entire career. He will ultimately be fine but he is what he is and has a long track record of just that.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Hook em'

We want Bama.

Horns win 55-17

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
To think Texas/Bama will soon be an annual thing!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I wouldn't count on it being annual, but it will hopefully be frequent enough

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Texas/Bama is definitely a no win scenario for me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If we beat Bama, I might even declare Texas to be back!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

Obviously, you should be rooting for the scrappy underdog. Just think of how good the Sark comeback story would be.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Relentlessboredomm posted:

the LSU meltdown is incredible. it was one game to start the season after 2 years of talent drain. and it was close! and they didn't look like a bad team!

did you watch the game, they looked like poo poo, op

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Obviously I hope we win but I don’t see any path to that. The most optimistic version I can imagine is that we just manage to get something going against Bama at some point and this game becomes an inflection point of buy-in, team jelling, whatever. Both a lesson in humility because however good you think you are Bama is on this whole other level and also a demonstration that when everyone does their part and does it right it can work even against Bama. And if going out there and executing at a high level means we can make plays even against Bama, there’s nobody on our remaining schedule we can’t beat if we do that.

But lol who am I kidding we’re going to get rolled by bama and then lose to a UTSA team coached by a former Charlie Strong assistant and everyone is going to be injured or checked out from then on.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Just how many Chick-fil-A Kickoff games are there? By Jove, I'm old enough to remember when the name meant something.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mega64 posted:

To think Texas/Bama will soon be an annual thing!

:sickos:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

Obviously I hope we win but I don’t see any path to that. The most optimistic version I can imagine is that we just manage to get something going against Bama at some point and this game becomes an inflection point of buy-in, team jelling, whatever. Both a lesson in humility because however good you think you are Bama is on this whole other level and also a demonstration that when everyone does their part and does it right it can work even against Bama. And if going out there and executing at a high level means we can make plays even against Bama, there’s nobody on our remaining schedule we can’t beat if we do that.

But lol who am I kidding we’re going to get rolled by bama and then lose to a UTSA team coached by a former Charlie Strong assistant and everyone is going to be injured or checked out from then on.

The way the team gave up last year, I'm concerned a real rear end-whupping could result in the same

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

ULaLa was always the best way to refer to them.

(Marty) ULaLa? ULaLa? ULALA? (/McFly)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I’m gonna go ahead and say it- this is an Iowa State bests Iowa year.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

South Carolina was whatever. The offense looked janky and the o-line might be hot trash again. Defense was dominant outside of 2 long runs, more or less. Georgia State is a pretty decent football team, and they obviously wanted the upset bad, they just got worn out as the game went on. If the o-line issues can be cleaned up this week, a banged up Arkansas team could be beatable, but if not then it's going to be a long season offensively. Rattler made some poor decisions, but drat he's got a cannon. If he gets more comfortable in the offense, he could be dangerous.

But forget about all that poo poo, because we got 2 blocked punts for touchdowns, beamerball is back baby!!!!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

General Dog posted:

I’m gonna go ahead and say it- this is an Iowa State bests Iowa year.

I don’t know how to feel.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I. M. Gei posted:

utah state was an 11-3 team (a really good one!) who brought back their sixth year QB and generally has pretty solid roster continuity

anyways i'm sure texas is enjoying a similar level of stability

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

They should have named that chicken cock commander drat it.

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

I know it's just Kent State but watching the Huskies move the ball well and look like they have some life in them in contrast to the past few years with Jimmy Lake was so satisfying. I don't see how anyone could beat out Penix as the starter so I'm wondering if Huard transfers out or if he's ok sitting for the next season.

Yeah Penix was always really good for us when he was playing, way better than the Mizzou transfer we have now looked in his first game. It's just that Penix never finished a season in 4 years of playing here.

Also, I like LSU but hate Brian Kelly, so I support people dunking on him already. That halftime comment about, "maybe we can play worse, idk, I just work here hurrrrrrrrr" was really loving dumb.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Brian Kelly is a tremendous wiener who says the dumbest poo poo possible but also wins a lot of football games

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Brian Kelly is a tremendous wiener who says the dumbest poo poo possible but also wins a lot of football games

Won.

Won a lot of football games.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I. M. Gei posted:

Sark spent his entire Labor Day publicly apologizing in advance to the boosters for the rear end whooping UT is going to get on Saturday, it’s not going to happen.

btw hear me out on this one…El Penix

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Sort-of, but at the same time, it's also an automatic comedy result no matter what.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I need to catch up with all the news on cfp expansion but as I read it, only the first round is on campus, correct? Doesn't that kind of suck for the teams that get the bye since it means their schools are going to lose out on an extra home game, the revenue that brings, etc?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I need to go check some more of the game but saw former Duck Geoff Schwartz crunching a little bit of film on Twitter and feeling a bit better and that “Georgia is really loving good” is likely the main point from that game.

Still frustrating to go get the brakes beat off of you, but I’m not completely out on the season. This was always a likely outcome.

dirty shrimp money posted:

btw hear me out on this one…El Penix

:thunk:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Why did LSU move on from Orgeron a mere 2 years after winning it all?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Wasn't there a lot of off the field issues with coach O?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Because they were a disaster on the field after all that talent left and he was trying to gently caress the AD's wife or something.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

If you have an athletic sub this is a good rundown.

If you don't the short story is he spent two years going .500 after winning that national title which is unacceptable at LSU (and honestly yeah maybe it should be for that type of program).

And he also got divorced and stuff like this happened:

quote:

It created messes for him, like the time Orgeron pulled up to a woman at a gas station wearing exercise attire. “Hey, you look like you work out,” he said, according to multiple sources. “We could work out together.” The woman informed Orgeron she was married, to which he responded, “Why does that matter?”

That woman was the wife of a high-ranking LSU official. Word of this reached the LSU Board of Supervisors, the collection of prominent Louisiana attorneys and business owners appointed by the governor who make the most important decisions at LSU. And of course, it reached LSU athletic director Scott Woodward.

And there were...a few Title 9 investigations about sexual assault going on at the time, mostly around Derrius Guice. Some of this happened during Les Miles time but Ed O just pshawed a woman away who claimed to have been raped by Guice and...well. You don't get to do all that and also hit on some exec or booster's wife basically.

I think in reality he just lost too much or he'd still be there, but there was more than enough reason he left on the table to get rid of him?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Grittybeard posted:

If you have an athletic sub this is a good rundown.

If you don't the short story is he spent two years going .500 after winning that national title which is unacceptable at LSU (and honestly yeah maybe it should be for that type of program).

And he also got divorced and stuff like this happened:

And there were...a few Title 9 investigations about sexual assault going on at the time, mostly around Derrius Guice. Some of this happened during Les Miles time but Ed O just pshawed a woman away who claimed to have been raped by Guice and...well. You don't get to do all that and also hit on some exec or booster's wife basically.

I think in reality he just lost too much or he'd still be there, but there was more than enough reason he left on the table to get rid of him?

He also disastrously hosed up the OC and DC hires after 2019, admitting that he never even interviewed Pelini before hiring him. And there’s the story about him basically sidelining actual practice to let the kids of the women he was loving come play around on the field.

Without the off the field stuff he might have gotten another year even with the terrible record, but without the off the field stuff the record probably would have been better anyway.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Coach O knew he was never making it back to the NC game and decided to get laid as much as possible on the way out. Real divorced dad energy.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Coach O knew he was never making it back to the NC game and decided to get laid as much as possible on the way out. Real divorced dad energy.

Coach O: I don't know how many games on this campus I have left, I'm going to get real weird with it.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

South Carolina did its typical choke-on-a-cupcake-in-Week-1 thing, but put on an absolutely incredible display of BeamerBall to put Georgia State away. Spencer Rattler is clearly the most talented quarterback we've had maybe ever, but our offensive coordinator still should have been fired last year and I'm not seeing anything from our scheme so far to dissuade me from that notion. Should be an interesting year.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
The big news this weekend for TTU is that the air raid has made its return. It was fantastic to see the offense humming like it was, albeit against a completely overmatched FCS opponent. They could do whatever they wanted and watching Tech was fun again.

The bad news for Tech was that starting QB Tyler Shough went down with a left shoulder injury after a QB draw. While it was not his throwing arm, he was in enough pain that it completely threw off his accuracy. Early word is that he'll be out 2-6 weeks. I feel bad for him, as the replacement is the "QB of the future" type in RS So Donovan Smith. If Tech is 3-0 by the first week that Shough can come back (to play UT), there's going to be a substantial QB controversy and it's going to be hard to sit Smith if he's playing well.

Smith started the last 4 games of the season last year, getting us to a bowl. He's not able to attack the middle of the field like Shough is, but he's a beast of a QB at 6'5", 230 lbs, and many felt that he should have been the starter anyway.

Tech defense showed some weakness in the secondary, but won more than they lost in the passing game. The defensive gameplan was to put the DB's on an island, and held Murray State to 50% passing in the first half before Murray St's QB went down with a gruesome non-contact injury, and held the backup to 1/7 for 1 yard in the 2nd half.

It was an FCS school, but after SFA and HBU the last 2 seasons, I'm allowing myself a hint of optimism for the new coaching staff, and think that we may have a decent shot of beating Houston and NC State.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
Coach O is also still an LSU employee and has to make at least one public appearance for the school every year. Not sure exactly when that ends, but it's for a few years at least. The theory I've heard is it has to do with legal liability for LSU, and somehow keeping him as an employee protects the school in some way. No idea if that's true, but I could see it.

https://www.wafb.com/2021/10/19/breaking-down-details-behind-separation-agreement-between-lsu-coach-o/

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

drunk leprechaun posted:

Coach O is also still an LSU employee and has to make at least one public appearance for the school every year. Not sure exactly when that ends, but it's for a few years at least. The theory I've heard is it has to do with legal liability for LSU, and somehow keeping him as an employee protects the school in some way. No idea if that's true, but I could see it.

https://www.wafb.com/2021/10/19/breaking-down-details-behind-separation-agreement-between-lsu-coach-o/

If I remember Godfrey's reasoning correctly, LSU came up with a very simple hoop for him to jump through for the next few years so anything salacious could be seen as insubordination and fired for cause instead of the usual structured payout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/FTBeard7/status/1566956678863794179?s=20&t=x2eCT6gVlvEEBV_omsjOQQ