Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

generic one posted:

The 200 is separate from the in-season FAB, so spend away on Tuesday! Once we get into the season, everyone gets a fresh set of bucks to spend on waivers.

Make sure to check out some of our fellow co-managers work over at Football Absurdity, they do great stuff for auction leagues! :)

Thanks for the shout-out. For those that are new to the format, here are 10 first-timer do's and don'ts:

- DO pat yourself on the back for making the leap to salary cap/auction. It is insanely fun, and easy to learn. All ~10 of my leagues are salary cap because I never want to go back to snake drafts, again.

- DO realize that the terms "salary cap" and "auction" are interchangeable. There has been an industry-wide push to change the name of the draft format away from auction. Something about "buying" mostly black people so you can "own" them and profit from their "labor" without compensation brings up historical parallels that just make things pretty awkward.

- DO NOT print out a sheet of salary cap values and expect to bid to those values and pass and not have a horrible team. In snake draft, one can just grab whatever guy is at the top of the list and feel good if they get them later than they were expected. In salary cap, a guy going for less than listed value means EVERY SINGLE OTHER manager had the opportunity but decided there were too many question marks for it to be a worthwhile start.

- On that note, DO expect to pay up for the top players. All it takes is for two managers to love a player, and you've got a bidding war on your hands. DO expect for most of the players you love to spark a bidding war.

- On that other note, DO try to take at least a few minutes beforehand to decide on some players you absolutely love at around their listed value. The most satisfied managers post-draft are the ones that can look at their entire roster and see 100% players they truly believe are special.

- DO NOT be afraid to get some players you love for well over listed value. It's salary cap, you want to leave with a team you never could get in snake draft. It's far better to pay up early and have to wait a while for the market to cool to round out your team than to have a ton of money left over that you just can't spend fast enough because all the remaining players are going cheap. Any leftover dollars disappear *poof* you don't get them for free agency or anything.

- DO try to leave at least $2 for each bench spot. If you only have $1 bids left, you have to wait until your turn, nominate a player you want, then pray no one else wants them and has a couple bucks (someone will). With $2, you have the opportunity to try to win any player that is nominated: That's 12x as many chances per round in this league.

- DO NOT do "Stars and Scrubs" or "Wait for Values" strategies. For years those were the two main schools of thought and I still come across articles espousing these antiquated notions. You can get stars AND values in the same draft so limiting yourself to one or the other is needlessly knee-capping your team

- DO hop in the voice chat. Not sure if OP is making one or, if not, I can link one. There is so much more to discuss in a draft where everyone has a chance to get every player, it's always riotous.

- DO post any questions you have in here. I literally live for giving salary cap advice in late-August/early September and spend hours doing it every single day.

I love you!

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Snowmankilla posted:

Ok! Thanks. I’ll read up. The waiver money is for all year, correct? So if I spend it all week one that’s it for me?

Mostly. You can still bid $0 on players so it's not like you won't be able to make any wire moves the rest of the year. But, yes, your FAB budget does not renew.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

generic one posted:

If you wanna fire one up, I will edit it into the OP and will happily join. :)

Okay, great!

So I'm streaming this on Twitch as I do all my drafts and mocks. This is the Discord voice chat I enable for the stream.

https://discord.gg/TEZ5D7yy

This has the added benefit that a few proto-goons who aren't aware of what SA is will wander in and the overwhelming goodness of the SA way of life will transform them.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

generic one posted:

kalensc has officially lost claim on the spot. I sent the alternate the go-ahead via PM, but I've also posted in the main FF thread, just in case that falls through, too.

If anyone knows someone who wants to jump in, let me know. I do know some non-SA degenerates who might jump on the opportunity.

We're still waiting for payments from three people: Saetare, mega dy, and The Big Jesus. Everyone needs to settle up prior to draft time.

Edit: I’ve got a non-SA guy from one of my dynasty leagues interested, so the last spot will be filled one way or another. He’s good people. Might be able to convince him to sign up for an account.

I've been in at least a dozen money leagues with Sataere and he always pays up. He just takes a while because he works a ton. If it comes down to it I'll front his entry fee

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Snowmankilla posted:

A bit nervous that I am reading all my advice from a person in the league I believe. Probably not a good sign that I have been a football absurdity/Beer sheets guy for years?

I live for serious competition: I'll regularly call my opponent Sunday morning and say "hey you're starting a player who just got declared out, I don't want you to take a zero there." I want my opponents in this league to have a step up from the start.

I also want to share the joy of salary cap drafting with as many people as possible.

It's funny, every single year my BML opponents print out my salary cap values list, then accuse me of making a fake list when I don't robotically bid to the listed amount and pass. Why would I need to make a fake list when they can't even use the real one logically, lol.

Anyway, see everyone tonight! I think I can get off work early and hop in the voice chat a half hour before draft time.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 6, 2022

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Snowmankilla posted:

Haha. I don’t think I’m getting hustled. I just read things like the bbq strat and realized all 12 of us probably can’t make that happen!

I am pumped to try a big boy draft!

It wouldn't be much of a BBQ if everyone can't feast!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

generic one posted:

Hey, DN. Which voice chat channel you use? A see a few.

I'll change the title right now

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
This was a blast to stream, thanks so much. I hope we gave enough advice: My one regret is that I didn't emphasize that if you jump in voice chat we will deduce whatever strategy you are going for and help you maximize that plan.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Needs More Bellcow, you've got to beat me this week. You have the second most points scored but a losing record. This league is causing a cosmic imbalance, the rippling effects of which could destroy our whole universe.

Life doesn't make sense anymore, and only you can fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna keep losing until things change around here!