Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slumpy
i subscribed to this ai image generator, tell me what to make and i'll do them whenever i feel like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slumpy
to start heres the byob cat

slumpy

Macnult

axel from twisted metal going back to school to study law

Allie

a smiling sentient rock at his computer

(add whatever modifiers you’d like)

Slumpy

Macnult posted:

axel from twisted metal going back to school to study law

slumpy

Slumpy

Allie posted:

a smiling sentient rock at his computer

(add whatever modifiers you’d like)

slumpy

Manifisto

an epic battle between the warriors of byob and the evil forces of coupons & deals

ty nesamdoom!

Allie

pro target you've changed so much

Slumpy

Manifisto posted:

an epic battle between the warriors of byob and the evil forces of coupons & deals

slumpy

Manifisto

lol perfect thank you

ty nesamdoom!

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
"First day of school, but its raining"

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

biosterous

omniscient orb and computer, movie poster, minimalist

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Slumpy

Chewbecca posted:

"First day of school, but its raining"

slumpy

Slumpy

biosterous posted:

omniscient orb and computer, movie poster, minimalist

slumpy

Slumpy
heres some random ones i did that i thought were cool

Slumpy fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 5, 2022

slumpy

Heather Papps

hello friend

"a friendly skeleton"

"ultimate martial arts technique"

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Chewbecca

This is really lovely

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Chewbecca

If I may be so bold as to request another one:

"Woman stuck at work who would rather be having fun" perhaps I should turn off my monitor lol

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Chewbecca posted:

If I may be so bold as to request another one:

"Woman stuck at work who would rather be having fun" perhaps I should turn off my monitor lol

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Heather Papps posted:

"a friendly skeleton"

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Heather Papps posted:

"ultimate martial arts technique"

I wanted to try this with skeltons as well and it uh... Doesn't handle those too well...

Heather Papps

hello friend

Viginti Septem posted:

I wanted to try this with skeltons as well and it uh... Doesn't handle those too well...

oh my god the three legged skeleton is killing me

Heather Papps

hello friend

this is really adorable and somehow knew i loved scarfs?

this is the best ai i have seen so far. holy poo poo. give this like 3 minutes fixing it up and i would have bought the album with this as a cover on sight

Slumpy

Heather Papps posted:

"a friendly skeleton"

this is your prompt

this is one i modified the prompt a bit

slumpy

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
weed rear end :stare:

Heather Papps

hello friend

Slumpy posted:

this is one i modified the prompt a bit

holy poo poo. can i keep this one and make a shirt or something? this is the best ai image generator i have ever seen, btw.

Slumpy

Heather Papps posted:

holy poo poo. can i keep this one and make a shirt or something? this is the best ai image generator i have ever seen, btw.

a computer made it and they dont have rights so go for it

this is one i made that i think is my fav

slumpy

Chewbecca

"Rich people problems"

Chewbecca

Where did you find this picture of me?

nut

are these things trained with real art? the quality of pics in this thread really make me feel like this generation of ai is a convenient way to steal sufficiently different art, assuming they are trained on pics made by others

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

nut posted:

are these things trained with real art? the quality of pics in this thread really make me feel like this generation of ai is a convenient way to steal sufficiently different art, assuming they are trained on pics made by others

it is remarkable

Finger Prince

A few AI goons (automotive insanity, not artificial intelligence) have discovered that Midjourney is particularly great at drawing cars. I guess the prompts are a big thing but the output seems to vary from "could be a concept sketch from an actual designer" to "pretty sure this is a brochure from an alternate universe". It's amazing.

biosterous

gently caress yes

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Manifisto

nut posted:

"stealing" is a pretty interesting way to look at it, I'm not saying it's wrong but there's a lot wrapped up in that concept

the notion that there is even something to be "stolen" is largely wrapped up in the commodification of art as well as a fetishization of what the artist supposedly does. we can say that certain human artists are perhaps hacks because their work is derivative, they largely copy elements of existing works, but this is absolutely allowed except in egregious cases and realistically it's what most self-proclaimed artists do anyway, perhaps with extra steps. how precisely is what the computer does different, setting aside the distinction of who/what happens to execute it? and there are those who would argue that even great artists, who are probably pretty unusual, do not come up with wholly new ideas (or perhaps do so only extremely rarely) but are instead a product of tweaking their influences. "good artists copy, great artists steal" and so on.

there's kind of a catch-22 in any criticism of this kind of art. if it really lacks the "creative spark" that is the hallmark of great art, where is the threat? the computer is just doing a version of what scores of lesser artists do anyway, see the paintings in any hotel room for example. but if it really is that good, such that people take notice of it and maybe prefer it to what human artists do, can we really say that there's something uniquely human about the artistic process? can we lay claim to something as the province of human intellectual achievement when it's something a sufficiently programmed computer can do anyway?

setting all these lofty ideas aside, yeah, I'm sure unscrupulous hacks use it as a shortcut to generating copycat art without having to develop their own talents or pay a better artist to realize them, and can easily skirt the body of copyright law by tweaking the computer's parameters to ensure that the output is "just different enough" to be legally distinct. no different from digital actors I suppose. but this line of thought really depends on the notion that artists, actors, whatever, are owed some kind of compensation for whatever they do, and that's perhaps beyond the scope of this discussion.

ty nesamdoom!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Finger Prince posted:

A few AI goons (automotive insanity, not artificial intelligence) have discovered that Midjourney is particularly great at drawing cars. I guess the prompts are a big thing but the output seems to vary from "could be a concept sketch from an actual designer" to "pretty sure this is a brochure from an alternate universe". It's amazing.

Yea, I was messing around with combining art deco with retro synthwave when I discovered that the cars are incredible. I've got more but their api is down on their website right now.

And some others that haven't been detailed yet

nut

Manifisto posted:

"stealing" is a pretty interesting way to look at it, I'm not saying it's wrong but there's a lot wrapped up in that concept

the notion that there is even something to be "stolen" is largely wrapped up in the commodification of art as well as a fetishization of what the artist supposedly does. we can say that certain human artists are perhaps hacks because their work is derivative, they largely copy elements of existing works, but this is absolutely allowed except in egregious cases and realistically it's what most self-proclaimed artists do anyway, perhaps with extra steps. how precisely is what the computer does different, setting aside the distinction of who/what happens to execute it? and there are those who would argue that even great artists, who are probably pretty unusual, do not come up with wholly new ideas (or perhaps do so only extremely rarely) but are instead a product of tweaking their influences. "good artists copy, great artists steal" and so on.

there's kind of a catch-22 in any criticism of this kind of art. if it really lacks the "creative spark" that is the hallmark of great art, where is the threat? the computer is just doing a version of what scores of lesser artists do anyway, see the paintings in any hotel room for example. but if it really is that good, such that people take notice of it and maybe prefer it to what human artists do, can we really say that there's something uniquely human about the artistic process? can we lay claim to something as the province of human intellectual achievement when it's something a sufficiently programmed computer can do anyway?

setting all these lofty ideas aside, yeah, I'm sure unscrupulous hacks use it as a shortcut to generating copycat art without having to develop their own talents or pay a better artist to realize them, and can easily skirt the body of copyright law by tweaking the computer's parameters to ensure that the output is "just different enough" to be legally distinct. no different from digital actors I suppose. but this line of thought really depends on the notion that artists, actors, whatever, are owed some kind of compensation for whatever they do, and that's perhaps beyond the scope of this discussion.

I mean from a purely labour perspective like how humans who are artists have to live in this world

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Manifisto posted:

Agree. Human brains are computers as well. We feed input and synthesize new material based on the overall body of knowledge we have. The more I feed my brain instances of good photographic art, the better I am at spotting potential scenes for photos when I'm out shooting. If I feed on a bunch of Ernst Hass, Fan Ho, Vivian Maier and Henri Cartier-Bresson I can much better see opportunities for street photography shots because my brain has an idea of what makes great street shots and those patterns stand out to me. Doesn't mean I'm stealing their work. Synthesis can't happen without being trained on previous work.

nut

your brain isn’t a computer, it’s far more complex and unique than an algorithm

nut

I think it’s cool to steal art when you wanna use it I don’t think it’s cool when a company pays a tech start up 30 dollars to steal it for u but don’t get me wrong the pics r obviously cool but only on the shallowest level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

nut posted:

I mean from a purely labour perspective like how humans who are artists have to live in this world

I understand your point. A couple of thoughts. First:

AI looks incredible but it's still pretty difficult to get it to do exactly what you're wanting, at least right now. Example, I did HP's request for a happy skeleton and Midjourney provided four outputs. None of them had bodies. So it was basically giving me skulls. I had to run several variants until one of them had a full body. But by then the variants had developed some weird fabricy thing around the collar. Which reminded me of HP's scarf love. So I scrapped all that and rewrote the prompt to include scarves.

When I decided to try doing HP's martial arts prompt but adding skeletons to it, the AI really poo poo the bed. It got full body skeletons but their limbs were merging into other limbs, sometime the bones were fabric sheets, one had a bone sticking out of its kneecap, another was doing a Saturday Night Fever pose, and the last one had a skeleton with a third leg that looked like a large penis bone.

So, what if I was a graphics designer and a client came to me and said they need a series of images with a family of skeletons enjoying a day out in San Francisco. They want 15 separate images of the SAME family in different familiar settings around San Fran. The AI is going to fail wildly at doing anything other than maybe giving you, the artist, an idea of some neat scenes. Each image that Midjourney bot produces will have different skeletons, some of them might end up with bone boners on accident, etc.

A client would drop you immediately if you turned those over lol. But I could see it being used as inspiration for a graphics designer to do their own drawings. More like the AI helps us be creative in our own work.

The second thought on labor:

AI is a tool for artists. If you're an artist worried about other artists knowing a new tools, then learn it.

I'm learning it and, as I discussed in deep dish's AI thread, I've already spotted many, many ways that I could separate myself from the masses of other people who are using AI to create stuff with this new tool. And that's what artists do anyway. They learn tools well enough that help them stand out from the amateurs.

Viginti Septem fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 5, 2022