Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, the story is very threadbare and most of it is just wheel spinning. There's barely anything to it. Like I previously post it was like their only idea was the idea of these characters turning to crime because capitalism sucks poo poo then forgot to write or simply couldn't figure out the actual rest of the plot. It's a good start, honestly but it's only one idea and it can only carry you so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, the story is very threadbare and most of it is just wheel spinning. There's barely anything to it. Like I previously post it was like their only idea was the idea of these characters turning to crime because capitalism sucks poo poo then forgot to write or simply couldn't figure out the actual rest of the plot. It's a good start, honestly but it's only one idea and it can only carry you so far.

Also they're characters who are ostensibly already criminals (except maybe Eli, I don't know what his day job is) turning to crime, which makes it all the less compelling. If they were all roommates who just had soul-crushing office/retail day jobs, there could at least be some late 2000's cable fun to be had with a "normies join the criminal underworld" story. As it is, they're people who are already in gangs but see their gangs as a cumbersome day job. I understand that that is The Joke, but it's a joke that gets tired almost immediately.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I picked this up on sale and it is kinda growing on me despite not being up to the level of the earlier classics.

Weirdly enough nothing HUGE in the glitch department has happened yet, at least nothing that breaks the game, the most notable was at the start of a takedown animation where me and my victim were both just t-posed for a second before it began. Is it more stable on PS4? Does it get more unstable as the game goes on? I dunno.

I do agree it's weird that everyone is a hardened criminal even before we actually start going into business for ourselves, I wonder if there was some sort of internal conflict over just what the starting situation would be.

But the "Be Your Own Boss" mission had me feeling some of the old magic. I loved the device of having you play out slouching to the kitchen, failing to cook breakfast, and flopping on the couch, put me in mind of some of SRIV's better gags. And the mission itself was fun and I'm finally actually officially doing crime now which is good. And I have found some amusing side bits.

Just a shame that they couldn't get this to work better and flesh it out a little more despite the delay. The core mechanics, the driving and shooting, work fine for me, they just didn't add much around that (and made the map a little too big, I get they were going for a more spread out Southwestern city but sandbox games like this kinda work better clumped together.)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I thought the mission where you break someone out of prison and start a riot and drive out in a tank was the game's one real standout gameplay moment. Mission design is extremely bland and same-y otherwise, outside of a couple of mildly funny LARPing missions.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i should grab this eventually

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/ZAd4B99.mp4

It was at that point the game REALLY started falling apart.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My most annoying glitch was doing the Dual Wield skill and then the guns would just be stuck to the Boss' hands unless I reloaded. I don't think it was ever fixed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

My most annoying glitch was doing the Dual Wield skill and then the guns would just be stuck to the Boss' hands unless I reloaded. I don't think it was ever fixed.

My problem with that skill is that I'd be constantly losing ammo whenever I did something that limited me to one hand, like getting in a car.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/SaintsRow/status/1640715475419303936

They posted a roadmap. I commend them for sticking with the game and further trying to improve the base game while working on the DLC and expansions. I still stand by my comments that the game is decent and if it gets a sequel that addresses the problems they could have another superb Saints Row game on their hands but as it is now the game's pretty middle of the road. I had fun with a friend but a lot of issues kept it from being a really good time for us.

I'm curious to see what this "Combat overhaul" entails because it desperately needs it. Weak writing and characters can't be patched out but the core combat certainly can and I applaud them for making an effort to do the fanbase right.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Do they still plan on porting to steam at some point? I'm surprised it's even still alive.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Jimbot posted:

https://twitter.com/SaintsRow/status/1640715475419303936

They posted a roadmap. I commend them for sticking with the game and further trying to improve the base game while working on the DLC and expansions. I still stand by my comments that the game is decent and if it gets a sequel that addresses the problems they could have another superb Saints Row game on their hands but as it is now the game's pretty middle of the road. I had fun with a friend but a lot of issues kept it from being a really good time for us.

I'm curious to see what this "Combat overhaul" entails because it desperately needs it. Weak writing and characters can't be patched out but the core combat certainly can and I applaud them for making an effort to do the fanbase right.

The two “new district” entries are kind of odd. I don’t much see what expanding an already howlingly empty map is going to accomplish.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I was able to play this for 3 hours or so on my ps4 without running into any issues. progress

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

I was able to play this for 3 hours or so on my ps4 without running into any issues. progress

I'm on PS4 too and maybe we just got lucky, I definitely see glitches now and again but only once has it actually interfered with the game. It's usually along the lines of just "you and your opponent t-pose for a few frames before the finisher activation kicks in" which is goofy but not actually like, a problem.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

First of the DLC comes out the 9th.

https://saintsrow.com/news/sunshine

Also changes to the combat:

quote:

General Combat Changes:

Significant changes have been made to combat. We heard a lot of feedback about the amount of damage needed to down enemies, and we agreed. Combatant health has been dramatically reduced. This change, combined with several aim and engagement improvements, increases the pace of combat and reduces the ammo starvation. We also made several changes to enemy dodges, since those would sometimes feel unfair. The last major change is regarding the time players had to interrupt call-ins for reinforcements. It was too short, so we adjusted them to be longer on all difficulty levels. Numerous additional changes and bug fixes (detailed below) are included in this update. Overall, combat feels much more satisfying and we can’t wait for everyone to get their hands on it.

Drastically reduced the hit point values of all enemies.

Reduced the frequency of enemy dodges in melee combat to near 0.

Reduced the frequency of enemies avoiding player kicks to 0.

Increased the amount of time it takes for enemies to call for reinforcements.

Enemies arriving to combat situations will now arrive in slightly different locations to more frequently avoid collisions.

Enemies will no longer wait to engage the player 1 at a time in combat.

Enemy hit chance is now temporarily reduced when the player crouches.

Changed the crossbow weapon to use hit scan logic instead of behaving like a projectile weapon.

Slightly improved the sounds indicating “low ammo.”

Improved impact reactions associated with weapons typically viewed as “heavy.”

Added a visual element to the reticle on the HUD to indicate when a player successfully hits an enemy.

Removed “stand in place and panic” order from Panteros enemies who are on fire. – This better aligns them with the logic of using fire in their attacks.

Buffed low-level explosive skills to be more useful and fun throughout the game.

Removed damage immunity on enemy combatants when dodging.

Added fire damage resistance to all Panteros.

Added better logic to enemies attempting to make a call in for reinforcements to better keep them in the view of the player – and thus able to be interrupted. This should keep enemies from calling too often from cover.

Added logic to better clean up vehicles abandoned by fleeing pedestrians.

Weapon Signature Abilities will now automatically be applied when they are unlocked instead of requiring the player to go to Friendly Fire locations.

Reduced spread on player weapons and replaced it with more realistic recoil. This should better reward skill in compensation with reducing recoil.

Updated Thump Gun charge time and reload times to be more in line with other weapons of the same tier.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The bullet spongy enemies were kind of off-putting, but at the same time I don’t remember this being an especially difficult game, so I’m wondering how they make these adjustments without making the combat feel completely trivial.

(To be fair, I don’t remember what difficulty I played the game on, or whether there were difficulty settings at all)

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

General Dog posted:

The bullet spongy enemies were kind of off-putting, but at the same time I don’t remember this being an especially difficult game, so I’m wondering how they make these adjustments without making the combat feel completely trivial.

(To be fair, I don’t remember what difficulty I played the game on, or whether there were difficulty settings at all)

There were settings to turn down the enemy health and it made the game way more fun when you turned it all the way down.

It really sounds like this is going to fix a lot of the nonstory complaints about the game. Hopefully the DLC is good!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

quote:

GENERAL:
Added extensive tech to automatically condense icons on the map when zooming out. This should increase stability in later levels of progression as well as make the information easier to see.

Added hide player health ui option.

Added hide vehicle health ui option.

Reorganized and unified the pause and main menu to help players better find the options they are looking for.

Added ability to custom nickname vehicles in the garage.

Added new “Overcast” and “Cloudy” states to the Weather System.

Fixed a few outstanding weather-related bugs.

Saints will now gather in small groups in completed districts, ready to help out the player.

Added new “distant” vehicle camera via “up” on the d-pad while driving (“z” on the keyboard).

Added DLC menu to help identify what content is available and what content is already owned.

Added UI indicators for all free and premium DLC content throughout the game (weapons, missions, customization items, etc). All owned free DLC content will have a plain purple background in menus. All owned premium DLC content will have a purple background and small fleur icon.

Altered several items of speech in “First F@#$ing Day,” “Morning Commute,” “Making Rent,” “The Great Train Robbery,” “Going Overboard,” “Severance Package.”
Important stuff bolded; I wonder what those altered speech items are.

The bugfix list further down has at least four fixes for each story mission.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anything about this hitting Steam yet or what

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RBA Starblade posted:

Epic exclusivity deals are usually for a full year.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I forgot I both already asked that and that it's only been around since August

What a year

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

RBA Starblade posted:

Excited for the real release date to come

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

People pay to beta test a game on Epic then Steam users reap the benefits! They'll be playing the best version of the game and I think these combat changes will help quite a bit, honestly.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I only just now got around to playing this - I picked it up when the PS5 version went on sale for half-price and it's just been sitting there, waiting - and the massive retooling patch went live when I was about halfway done with it. A lot of annoying little lovely bugs just vanished (but not all of them, noooo) and my ammo costs dropped by about half. Also they seem to have given everybody the new neighborhood for free; the DLC happens there, but I didn't have to buy it to get the new neighborhood and its threats and stuff.

I ended up having a lot of fun with the game, although it does feel like a hastily-slapped-together unfinished prologue. Hopefully they'll actually make another game and do more with what they've started.

I did also buy the first DLC, since it came out when I was still playing the game, and it's... seriously meh. I don't think it was worth ten dollars. The actual new plot is a small caper/heist movie that takes about an hour and a half to play through and feels like it was put together as cheaply as possible. It's kind of fun to sneak in and steal a thing, I guess? It honestly feels more like an ambitious Nexus mod than an actual bit of DLC. I did enjoy it, but there's that sense of '... that's it?'

There are several pieces of new clothing, mostly swimwear, and a bunch of wingsuit races where you fly through targets in the sky and win new wingsuits (again, these wingsuit challenges feel SO cheaply made). Finishing the plot gives you a new helicopter that doesn't really do anything unique and a third home base that's at least pretty. (The new home base is decorated with a lot of models and things from the older games, which was kinda nice.)

The new weapon is pretty fun. It's a big gun that fires a barbell on a chain, which does a poo poo-ton of damage - it often blows up a car in one hit and can completely kill the lower tiers of tough enemies - and then reels the barbell back in, doing damage to everything it hits on the way. If you fire it into the sky the barbell yanks you ragdolling after it, which means that you can now launch yourself into wingsuit mode from anywhere. A gimmick, but one with some real use.

Given that, I'm probably not going to go back for the other DLC unless I start hearing some actual buzz about it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Yeahhhhh I loved the game for what it was, love how the changes make things feel (I briefly started a new game to test out the opening) and love the potential, but that DLC is... small.

Like I don't know, I think I was expecting a little bit more/better customization, or a story that lasts for more than an hour, or something. I have higher hopes for DLC2, because I'm assuming they won't be spending so much time overhauling half the game before it comes out, but... yeahhhh, DLC1 is underwhelming.

At least I have two new spaces to put up collectables?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

The aiming in this feels miserable. I'm playing after the patch which was supposed to improve it so I can only imagine how bad it was before. No amount of fiddling with the settings has made it feel "normal". There's acceleration on the X-axis (to turn around more quickly?) with no option to turn it off. I'm just kinda surprised it feels so bad. I can't remember the last third person shooter I played that felt this off.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Jolo posted:

The aiming in this feels miserable. I'm playing after the patch which was supposed to improve it so I can only imagine how bad it was before. No amount of fiddling with the settings has made it feel "normal". There's acceleration on the X-axis (to turn around more quickly?) with no option to turn it off. I'm just kinda surprised it feels so bad. I can't remember the last third person shooter I played that felt this off.

I think the trick is to tap the autoaim, which centers on the target and then manually flip up for the headshot. I haven't played since launch, but this was the last shooter I played, so i'm 80% certain this is the game that method works on.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Saints Row games have never managed to make good DLC. I don't know what it is. Apparently 2 had DLC but it's off download, or never made it to PC or something. The 3 DLC with weird zombie Johnny Gat that was like. Why does anybody want this. The 4 DLC was probably the best with the silly 'behind the scenes' stuff. i wonder if agents of mayhem had dlc.

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 23, 2023

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I remember liking the Christmas-themed one from 4. It was some good dumb fun.

But yeah, Saints Row DLC is always better for the clothes and weapons it adds, not the actual gameplay stuff.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

i wonder if agents of mayhem had dlc.

Technically yes. That game had bonus characters you could pay for, who each got two them-specific missions (every PC had a pair). None of them added anything particularly novel to gameplay which you wouldn't already do 20 other times with the rest of the cast. It was just as crap as the rest of AoM.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The DLC for SR2 was a customization pack and two Ultor-related stories, one with Tera Patrick as a former Ultor scientist. They were only on consoles though, IIRC.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Picayune posted:

But yeah, Saints Row DLC is always better for the clothes and weapons it adds, not the actual gameplay stuff.
And along those lines, this first DLC just... isn't worth it. The new weapon is genuinely fun and adds a new kind of gameplay with being able to launch yourself, but it's not fun enough to justify it, and the new clothes are... yeahhh. If you've ever wanted to dress your boss up like you're at a spa, you can do that now, I guess.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

The right stick zoom on the map is wonky too. Up on the r stick zooms in as expected but if you barely press it up it'll zoom all the way out. Even if I bump the sensitivity down it does this. Same deal with down to zoom out, sometimes it'll zoom in briefly instead. It's so strange.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

They released the trailer for the next DLC.

It looks like it's more Professor Genki's Genkibowl VII from Saints Row III.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The mode is alright. It does demonstrate how hosed some of the balance is. Since you're not an overpowered character with multiple means of healing yourself you gotta watch a four hour cutscene to get one pip of health back each time. Yeah, those takedowns John Wick used were pretty rad, designers! Only difference is that you didn't watch the same one thousands of times. That big game hunter rifle the one character uses is pure trash. The designers forgot to put the alpha damage in the one-shot alpha strike weapon, so you're stuck with a lovely default weapon. The new dual shotgun weapon is pretty neat, though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I’m curious how the campaign plays now that they’ve lowered enemy health with the patch a few months ago. The bullet spongy enemies did feel pretty bad, but on the other hand difficulty was still pretty trivial once you fully upgraded an assault rifle, which I think I did about a quarter of the way through the game.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

there's new DLC dropping soon, and the Steam launch is August 24th, so exactly 1 year of Epic exclusivity.

also some highlights from the most recent patch notes:

quote:

Pause menu should no longer break when used.

Cargo Pants will no longer crash the game.

Trucks will no longer have a chance to be driverless.

Made it so certain police vans cannot be invulnerable.

Players will no longer spawn under the map when in the wardrobe after tutorial video plays.

Put the mime’s outfit back on the mime.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This harkens back to the old recurring SA front page feature with fake patch notes.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I wish they would patch the vehicles so they would make some kind of audible noise when driving them.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

orcane posted:

The DLC for SR2 was a customization pack and two Ultor-related stories, one with Tera Patrick as a former Ultor scientist. They were only on consoles though, IIRC.

The pc version includes all the dlc, I own it. Also it’s still available on Steam, I’m literally looking at the store page for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

DreadUnknown posted:

The pc version includes all the dlc, I own it. Also it’s still available on Steam, I’m literally looking at the store page for it.

Ultor Exposed and Corporate Warfare were only released on consoles.