Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Yeah, I was under the impression the late great Idolninja tried to hack together the missions in the gentlemen of the row mod but they were extremely buggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I read that the reboot is going to be one of PS+ essential's free games in September, so I will play it even though I missed out on experiencing the magic of playing at launch.

Did they ever add more Boss voice packs? All the voices present in pre-launch Boss Maker didn't fit Nosferatu-Manchu at all.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 28, 2023

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1697288775968174478

Volition doing right by Idolninja and his friends and family proved to me that what they had was more important than any product that could be sold. Sorry if this comes off as all dramatic but it's a God drat shame people like that have lost their team today. Best of luck to all affected.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
RIP FreeSpace 3 :(

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
It's weird, I've been playing the new SR game for the last week or so and it's like, OK.

I paid full price for it on release and yeah, I don't think it's worth that, but it's very much saints row, just without the old cast of characters.

Some of the gleeful responses to Volitions closure make it seem like the game ripped open the chests of children and took a poo poo in them.

It's just very much more of the same SR from 3 onwards, just with less dildo jokes and no Gat, etc. If I'd picked it up for about £20 or £30 I'd have probably been content.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Kin posted:

It's weird, I've been playing the new SR game for the last week or so and it's like, OK.

I paid full price for it on release and yeah, I don't think it's worth that, but it's very much saints row, just without the old cast of characters.

Some of the gleeful responses to Volitions closure make it seem like the game ripped open the chests of children and took a poo poo in them.

It's just very much more of the same SR from 3 onwards, just with less dildo jokes and no Gat, etc. If I'd picked it up for about £20 or £30 I'd have probably been content.

It's a shame, I was really hoping the new SR would be great but I avoided pre-ordering it after getting burned by Agents of Mayhem. From what I hear it was a similar launch, game was incomplete but had some fun stuff to it. I'll definitely give it a shot on PS+ but this doesn't bode well for the future of the game/franchise.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
RIP forever. Saints Row was a big part of my formative years so it’s sad news to hear. Even if the team completely lost its mojo after SR4 imo

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I thought Volition got folded into Gearbox.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jimbot posted:

They bought the Saints Row franchise.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ah, I got confused. This sucks big time, regardless.

I liked the new game well enough but it always felt confused as to what it wanted to be and those early months were really buggy. Shooting never quite got there, unfortunately and the perk system wasn't all that well thought out. But they did craft a neat world with enough varied activities to keep it interesting but they really dropped the ball in the writing department.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kin posted:

yeah. like i dislike new saints a bunch but i loved volition even if i think they took saints in the worse direction since 3(i like 3 and 4 enough),

Jimbot posted:

Ah, I got confused. This sucks big time, regardless.

I liked the new game well enough but it always felt confused as to what it wanted to be and those early months were really buggy. Shooting never quite got there, unfortunately and the perk system wasn't all that well thought out. But they did craft a neat world with enough varied activities to keep it interesting but they really dropped the ball in the writing department.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id8_4RZFffc&t

i feel like tehsnaker puts my views pretty well. its long video but a great listen.

Father Wendigo posted:

oh good, now its even more hosed. let the unfunny dickhead brigade take a crack at it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

I read that the reboot is going to be one of PS+ essential's free games in September, so I will play it even though I missed out on experiencing the magic of playing at launch.

Did they ever add more Boss voice packs? All the voices present in pre-launch Boss Maker didn't fit Nosferatu-Manchu at all.

idk. i wanted british boss. i used him since 2 and i just love it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just feel bad now

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I just feel bad now

yeah me too. i never hated volition, they were one of my favorite devs, they just had a string of bad luck. agents was a cool idea executed badly and nu-saints just felt light it was written by suits and no one who ever played the originals. everyone is too squikey clean until they arnt and it never knew how to balance anything and the ending is basicaly is friendship is magic but like dumber.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Pirate Jet posted:

Volition doing right by Idolninja and his friends and family proved to me that what they had was more important than any product that could be sold. Sorry if this comes off as all dramatic but it's a God drat shame people like that have lost their team today. Best of luck to all affected.

i hope doing right by him also includes releasing the remade saints row 2 pc port, somehow, in some way. they promised him it would be finished, even if it was after he died. i know thats probably a hard promise to keep, now, but. makes this sad in yet another way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well, that sucks

Turpitude II posted:

i hope doing right by him also includes releasing the remade saints row 2 pc port, somehow, in some way. they promised him it would be finished, even if it was after he died. i know thats probably a hard promise to keep, now, but. makes this sad in yet another way.

Going to assume no to that one now

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Honestly, updating that port would have made them better profits than that new Saints Row game ever would. I wonder why they didn't.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I've been playing this and after all the patches (and only paying 20 bux) it's not terrible. I've been having a decent amount of enjoyment just tooling around the map and doing side stuff. It feels like a great framework for a better game and now we'll never see another :(

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I just got some kind of final? patch to the game on Steam, ~200mb. Wondering what happened there, since there are no notes anywhere and nobody to write them.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
My best guess is that they kept Volition alive just long enough to make sure the Steam release didn't crap out, then pulled the plug.

I'm sad about it. Even when Saints Row was flawed or incomplete - which was generally about eighty-five percent of the time - it was still a series that I enjoyed playing. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for wacky juvenile quipstakes humor, dammit.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Saint's row 2 is still a wonderful game. I never played the first one, sadly.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Jimbot posted:

Father Wendigo posted:

Volition got put under Gearbox. I think the point of that was turn them into a support studio. But with Embracer Group losing out of a 2 billion dollar deal they have to start cost cutting which meant actual studio closure for Volition.

Saints Row IP was left with Deep Silver.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

kilus aof posted:

Volition got put under Gearbox. I think the point of that was turn them into a support studio. But with Embracer Group losing out of a 2 billion dollar deal they have to start cost cutting which meant actual studio closure for Volition.

Saints Row IP was left with Deep Silver.

Ah. Speaking of Gearbox,

https://twitter.com/gamedevdotcom/status/1697323619343544704?t=NUEBJRgQZ3uREAcliM1tTg&s=19

Embracer seems to be on a tear today.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That sucks.

Fired up Saints row 2 for some nostalgia. Spraying people with poop while listening to the deftones and Plain White T's, it's pretty great.

The bloom era on 360 sure was something.

Vice city's setting and release were only 16 years apart. Saints Row 2 now set in 08 was 15 years ago.

I can't believe people actually used to use septic trucks to spray poop everywhere or listen to emo.

https://www.videogamer.com/news/full-saints-row-2-track-list-revealed/

Father Wendigo posted:

Ah. Speaking of Gearbox,

Embracer seems to be on a tear today.

drat, i hope everybody lands on their feet.

It's amazing how many seemingly huge games were made by these studios. There's serious talent there but the business side of it, yikes. THQ before them couldn't make a go of it with the WWE and Disney deals.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 1, 2023

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
some info about the state of things from someone who was also working on the patch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yawfVO4-_gM

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I can't say I'm surprised after Agents of Mayhem and the new reboot but, man, this is a loss. Saints Row 2 is still fantastic (RIP the port :smith:) and don't even get me started on Freespace. What a shame.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

The thing is, a reboot was kinda needed. Since SR3 things have just been written into a wacky corner with stale gameplay.

The problem is that it feels like they started that idea and then someone came along and started saying "we need more SR3/4 content", until it basically feels just like those games but without the main characters from the franchise.

It's like a playing it super safe reboot that was released half baked.

It would be interesting of there's some behind the scenes horror stories about the production of the game given the studio is dead now.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Stay safe ChipCheezum.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

What a bummer. Gotta love the "Buy a unique studio with a small but passionate fanbase"->"Make top down changes to everything about their games"->"Games underperform for some reason"->"Close Studio" cycle.

And I still maintain that this angle on the game could have worked if the characters didn't begin the game as friends. Nothing about their relationship seemed earned, and so there wasn't room for a real character arc for anyone.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tricky Ed posted:

What a bummer. Gotta love the "Buy a unique studio with a small but passionate fanbase"->"Make top down changes to everything about their games"->"Games underperform for some reason"->"Close Studio" cycle.

And I still maintain that this angle on the game could have worked if the characters didn't begin the game as friends. Nothing about their relationship seemed earned, and so there wasn't room for a real character arc for anyone.

Yeah I think there was enough there that it could have worked just fine, it just wasn't quite right by the time they released it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So I just finished SR2022 and I kinda take back what I said earlier (a little bit anyway).

There's a passable 200X game on here but not a 202X one.

It's all far too simple and repetitive which just exacerbates the pretty bad and juvenile writing.

The more I think about it, the more I think Volition just got really lucky with Saints Row 2 because everything else has been somewhat meh since then and it's not like Saints Row 1 was anything to go wild about.

IIRC saints row the third/4 and the Gat in hell all more or less used the same map right?

I'd have been curious to see what the present would be like if instead of doing that, they just kept expanding the city from the second game. So SR3 would have been the first city X years later but with another city built nearby it.

There'd maybe have to be some kinda plot contrivance for why you'd have to take over the same city again but if they had a multi game narrative planned, who's to say you'd have to play as the Saints all the time.

SR3 could have maybe been about the rise of someone wronged in SR2 taking revenge and brining the Saints down. SR4 could have been the aftermath of that etc. It might have helped it differentiate against the GTA series a bit more by leaning into its recurring cast.

Instead we got the wacky constant escalation poo poo that led the gangster boss to becoming president, the invention of super powers, then alien invasions and other nonsense.

Not much you can do plotwise after the World has been erased and replicated virtually as a means of even having a game to play.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
they were all downhill after 2. 3 coasted on people's love for 2, but wasn't actually that good. 4 was very obnoxious to actually play and had none of the joy of saints row. i enjoyed them well enough and even had a decent time with agents but 2 was itself a fairly mediocre game that had enough love, weirdness, and stuff to do that it transcended its reality in a way the others simply couldn't.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
SR3 absolutely did not coast on people's love for 2, if anything there's a harsh delineation between people who played and loved 2 and people who either didn't care for it or didn't play it at all. Fwiw I'm the latter, as are a lot of folks because I think SR3 was the first game in the series to really go mainstream. I had zero interest or knowledge in the series but SR3 had one hell of a prerelease marketing campaign that hooked me in. Like, you can look at the numbers readily available: SR2 sold 3.4 million in two years, SR3 5.5 million in one, SR4 did a cool milly in a single week. A lot of fans of SR2 disliked the later games' tonal changes, messy storyline, and bland city, and voiced their criticism very early on, while people like me enjoyed the ridiculous escalation and didn't have any preconceptions from the second game to compare it to.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

they were all downhill after 2. 3 coasted on people's love for 2, but wasn't actually that good. 4 was very obnoxious to actually play and had none of the joy of saints row. i enjoyed them well enough and even had a decent time with agents but 2 was itself a fairly mediocre game that had enough love, weirdness, and stuff to do that it transcended its reality in a way the others simply couldn't.

i like 3 but you can see where the wheels are gonna come off, tossing gat and making the wacky poo poo to the max. 4 is fun but its conceit to me kinda ruins the game. i never finished the hell one. agents of mayhem has very very cool idea but is just a ton of the worst possible choices. and 2022 is just really boring and lovely. I like 2 alot but i am sure alot of the mechanics don't age as gracefully as id like.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mordja posted:

SR3 absolutely did not coast on people's love for 2, if anything there's a harsh delineation between people who played and loved 2 and people who either didn't care for it or didn't play it at all. Fwiw I'm the latter, as are a lot of folks because I think SR3 was the first game in the series to really go mainstream. I had zero interest or knowledge in the series but SR3 had one hell of a prerelease marketing campaign that hooked me in. Like, you can look at the numbers readily available: SR2 sold 3.4 million in two years, SR3 5.5 million in one, SR4 did a cool milly in a single week. A lot of fans of SR2 disliked the later games' tonal changes, messy storyline, and bland city, and voiced their criticism very early on, while people like me enjoyed the ridiculous escalation and didn't have any preconceptions from the second game to compare it to.

And indeed it was nice to have a coherent tone in the later games. Mercy killing Carlos in the rain has a different air when you do it in a hot dog costume. Every now and then you'd get people saying the only REAL Saints Row game is the first which is just silly because that's the series at its most GTA clone-ish and the controls are just miserable. Some people might really be out there hoping they get closure on what happens to Dex but I don't think they actually exist in great numbers for anybody to care about.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I enjoyed SR3 to a ridiculous degree as my first SR game. Then I ended up disliking almost everything about 4, and still tried to give it like 6 hours for a fair shake in case I was playing or experiencing it wrong (I really wanted to enjoy it), then just deleted the game, extremely happy that I didn’t preorder it for the full price. I guess I would gatekeep myself out of calling myself a true SR fan since i never played 2 or 1, but it is a shame to see Volition die, because they brought me a lot of enjoyment with Red Faction Guerilla, even if they decided to pivot away from what made Guriella so popular and do Armageddon…for some reason.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
2 > 4 > 3 > 1 is the canonical quality ranking of Saints Row.

SR2 is still to this day handily the best crime empire building game. Both narratively, in terms of power, and in terms of other mechanics, the player goes from an absolute nobody to essentially doing whatever they want running the city. It's a very satisfying package.

4 has great callbacks to all the best of the series, and the best scripted moments. It starts off weak, but the powers really transform the game and make it feel like a mashup of Saints Row and Prototype.

3 has some solid scripted moments and is a really funny game to play co-op, but it doesn't have as much of the soul. It doesn't understand why SR2 was so satisfying, it's started from the top now we here.

1 is really lacking as a game. It's a very generic GTA clone. Story wise it might be the second strongest clone next to Mafia, though.

RIP Volition. You made some really great games over the years, but you fell off hard. I hope the legacy can be remembered and the people who were the best parts of it can find new success.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do feel bad Agents of Mayhem was so lackluster as in theory I would be all about it but there was just... nothing there.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
SR2 was the first one I played, and I enjoyed it, but it had enough jank to make it less than entirely satisfying. The two gears of "hardcore gang crime" and "wacky poop-spraying" kept grinding against each other, and the weird filter that made everything outdoors look like rear end (on PS3 anyway) didn't help. (CoD Warzone had a similar look, which I really disliked.)

SR3, though, I loved even though the city wasn't as interesting as 2. They embraced the crazy, and the game was all the better for it.

4? Well, it was fun, but it's kinda hard to progress from there when you have alien invaders literally blow up the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
everyone who prefers 3 is sick and demented. and has probably committed embarrassing crimes