Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

Mercy killing Carlos in the rain has a different air when you do it in a hot dog costume.

That's one of the things I liked. The boss is a weird as heck person, a hotdog suit is just what they wear. When things get serious they get serious, but they're still the same hotdog suit wearing cockney lunatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

everyone who prefers 3 is sick and demented. and has probably committed embarrassing crimes

I can forgive sick and demented, but embarrassing crimes? Gotta draw the line somehwere

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

When everything's wacky and crazy, nothing is. Doing serious crime drama in the silliest outfit possible is the best way to do things. Need those peaks and vallies of silly. It works for Yakuza, it didn't work for 3 or 4. Every time something dramatic happened in those games it felt out of place.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Saints Row 1 and 2 had a real focus on storytelling that was lost in 3.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's really just down to which of them you played first, all three are pretty good

And SR1 exists too

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

everyone who prefers 3 is sick and demented. and has probably committed embarrassing crimes
But those are the best kind!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The Brotherhood storyline in 2 is still some of the coolest poo poo in video games

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
oh gently caress the monster truck arena RPG battle. fantastic poo poo

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I didn't mind SR3 but I felt it was just weird as a sequel to SR2. I feel like Volition has said since that a lot of the more controversial aspects (killing Gat, the whacky tone) came from the publisher. That said, I did like the ending where the Boss forsakes their friends to kill the Luchador guy and just sits there in the wreckage afterward was a really good moment. SR4 was fine because, by then, the series was just completely out the window but it was delivering fun gameplay. I couldn't get into Gat out of Hell.

But SR2? That game was an all-timer. You get to play a genuinely unrepentant psychopath and enjoy those moments ("You shoulda offered me more than twenty percent"), but then there's some truly dramatic points of catharsis ("Get up." "I DIDN'T KILL HER!" "You ordered it.") and just an insane wealth of side activities and content and memorable storyline beats. The Mister Sheffield Boss is just transcendent. I get a hankering to replay SR2 like I do with Freespace 2, just to soak it all in, but unfortunately the PC port is basically unplayable and my 360 ate my disc a few years back. SR2 had this wonderful combination of shockingly dark moments and black comedy ("There's no statute of limitations for murder!" "Why the gently caress not?") and I think it was a shame that, for whatever reason, the series pivoted into whacky Adult Swim-kinda stuff.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
IMO in addition to some great storytelling in 2, the reason it's so many people's favorite is the attention to detail. There are so many random buildings you can go into (like the mall, especially if you found it by accident), the business names, the interaction with random people on the street. Having some drunk person stab you because you flipped them off or remark that you smell because you've been wearing the same clothes for days. Steelport was dead and lifeless compared to Stilwater, and the reboot suffers from the same problem.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Only downside with 2 is that there weren't as many numbers you could call as there were in 1.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I find SR3 largely stupid and unfunny, but in a more interesting/engaging manner than SR 2022 is stupid and unfunny.

I adore SR4 because of how fun traversal is; I think it’s up there with the best Spider-Man games in how fun it is to fly around the city. I played Infamous: Second Son just last week to try to recapture some of that fun and it traversal in that game felt terrible in comparison.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 4, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dawgstar posted:

And indeed it was nice to have a coherent tone in the later games. Mercy killing Carlos in the rain has a different air when you do it in a hot dog costume. Every now and then you'd get people saying the only REAL Saints Row game is the first which is just silly because that's the series at its most GTA clone-ish and the controls are just miserable. Some people might really be out there hoping they get closure on what happens to Dex but I don't think they actually exist in great numbers for anybody to care about.

to me. 2 feels like a james gunn or paul verhoven movie, really weird and wacky but some genuinly hosed up and depressing/sad moments. it works because you like the characters and the boss is an utter psychopath who constantly creates his own problems and escalates them even worse BUT he knows how to solve the problems. like i dont mind getting all the answers. to me thats fine and the boss doesnt really give a poo poo because he killed jullian so past is past.

I like 3 alot but it definetly doesnt work as well tonally for me but i do like most of it apart from gat "dying". i like that the james bond belgian dickhead is kinda of redhearing and has good moments. 4 just jumps the shark and makes a lifeless world more lifeless because because their is no impact to your acts(everyone is an literal NPC)

SubponticatePoster posted:

IMO in addition to some great storytelling in 2, the reason it's so many people's favorite is the attention to detail. There are so many random buildings you can go into (like the mall, especially if you found it by accident), the business names, the interaction with random people on the street. Having some drunk person stab you because you flipped them off or remark that you smell because you've been wearing the same clothes for days. Steelport was dead and lifeless compared to Stilwater, and the reboot suffers from the same problem.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I didn't mind SR3 but I felt it was just weird as a sequel to SR2. I feel like Volition has said since that a lot of the more controversial aspects (killing Gat, the whacky tone) came from the publisher. That said, I did like the ending where the Boss forsakes their friends to kill the Luchador guy and just sits there in the wreckage afterward was a really good moment. SR4 was fine because, by then, the series was just completely out the window but it was delivering fun gameplay. I couldn't get into Gat out of Hell.

But SR2? That game was an all-timer. You get to play a genuinely unrepentant psychopath and enjoy those moments ("You shoulda offered me more than twenty percent"), but then there's some truly dramatic points of catharsis ("Get up." "I DIDN'T KILL HER!" "You ordered it.") and just an insane wealth of side activities and content and memorable storyline beats. The Mister Sheffield Boss is just transcendent. I get a hankering to replay SR2 like I do with Freespace 2, just to soak it all in, but unfortunately the PC port is basically unplayable and my 360 ate my disc a few years back. SR2 had this wonderful combination of shockingly dark moments and black comedy ("There's no statute of limitations for murder!" "Why the gently caress not?") and I think it was a shame that, for whatever reason, the series pivoted into whacky Adult Swim-kinda stuff.

these are why i and others like 2. its memoriable as gently caress and i still remember a bunch of the lines and the villians and their motivations and missions. 3 has like idk batman villan gangs and then blofeld dies in mid first act.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 4, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I do feel bad Agents of Mayhem was so lackluster as in theory I would be all about it but there was just... nothing there.

It explained a lot when I found out the writing team for 3 and 4 left before Mayhem. The whole GI Joe parody thing can work great (Cheat Commandos comes to mind) but it just doesn't work.

Like the Uranus jokes. Mass Effect 2, seven years earlier, had its Uranus jokes emphasize just how obvious the joke was. Agents of Mayhem just thought that it was clever and original to say how Uranus sounds like Your Anus.

Over and over and over.

3 and 4 have the confidence in their jokes to seldom go "Get it? Get it?" instead of moving onto something new. You'd just get "Like Scuba Sex" "Exactly!" and if you didn't laugh, well, there was something new in just a few seconds. The newer games had worse jokes and drove them into the ground.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
As one of the weirdos that played the games in release order as they came out, I liked the escalation of the games.
Starts as a GTA clone, 2 up the ante with the Boss being in charge, 3 ramps it up again with the bullshit you get up to (I'm sad they didn't merge the two endings together for 4 though), and 4 pushes it to the limit because what would be the next step? Saints invade a foreign country?

3 is my least favourite out of the set mostly because of the characters. The new folks that weren't Oleg, meh. Matt and Kinzie got better in 4.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SR3 has some fun moments. Everyone remembers skydiving onto the penthouse to the tune of 'Power' and probably did it naked. Killbane was a fun villain but it was absolutely dragged down by stuff like Hulk Hogan's stuntcasting and tossing out the whole 'take over a city segment, get a cutscene' structure. However the soundtrack did feature Bonnie Tyler's 'Holding Out For a Hero' so it gets a passing grade.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
1 wasn't great but had some success due to being the first open world crime game to the 360/PS3, beating GTA4 to the market. Still, it laid the groundwork for two, a lesser version of Street Fighter 1 to Street Fighter 2.

2 was surprisingly well written and directed and struck a good balance between gangster and slapstick. It's genuinely one of my favorite games.

3 has it's moments and some fun setpieces (the aforementioned Power skydiving which I always waited until the chorus started despite the game telling me to hurry up), but the establised characters acting unlike themselves (yes it was a focus of the game that the Saints had sold out but it didn't work like intended), the new characters didn't hit outside of Kinzie (Hogan was atrocious stuntcasting), and the "tell not show" over Johnny Gat's death threw off the early pacing of the game and it never really recovered. We're all used to "no corpse no death", plus the early game had made it abundantly clear that Johnny Gat was Great and Cool and Awesome, so I fully expected Gat to have flown the plane back and would return for the final act. Killing him off-screen in that manor was such a "wait really?" moment that it's hard for it to be anything but a large chunk of the game cut for time/budget. In addition, the gangster/slapstick starts to lean more towards slapstick and the balance isn't there.

4 gives up on the gangster/slapstick balance and effectively replaces gangster with superhero, and it works in the way that Crackdown worked. The story is ridiculous and knows it's ridiculous, which allows for more flexibility with the characters involved. Where it suffers is that large swaths of the game are rendered obsolete by the change in focus; driving is pointless if not unwanted once superspeed and vehicleless flight are unlocked. Still, the game comes together in a way that 3 never does. The Gat out of Hell DLC is fine.

I haven't played the new one and probably won't until it's like a 5 buck Steam sale special, but it feels like a game that didn't know what it wanted to be. It wanted to harken back to 2, but it didn't know what made 2 work, plus I get the feeling that the devs believed that a lot of the raunchyness that 2 and 3 featured wouldn't fly with today's percieved modern sensibilities. The pranking stuff looked incredibly stupid and not the fun kind of stupid. In the end, it tried to be something for everyone, ended up making no one happy, and thus Saints Row is more than likely banished to the IP dustbin of history for at least another console generation or two.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Dawgstar posted:

SR3 has some fun moments. Everyone remembers skydiving onto the penthouse to the tune of 'Power' and probably did it naked. Killbane was a fun villain but it was absolutely dragged down by stuff like Hulk Hogan's stuntcasting and tossing out the whole 'take over a city segment, get a cutscene' structure. However the soundtrack did feature Bonnie Tyler's 'Holding Out For a Hero' so it gets a passing grade.

True, but Holdin' Out was on the weaker ending - though I remember enjoying the conversation with Oleg and Pierce at the rendezvous.

Having not-DHS roll out a helicarrier to neutralize you, only for you to destroy it and declare the city independent from the United States was a really satisfying conclusion.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The Killbane sequence with the chainsaws to “You’re The Best Around” was one of my favorite moments in gaming for a long time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The whole training questline having The Traditional Murderbrawl Chainsaw as a punchline is amazing

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Just to throw my opinion in the ring, I think that the new one played it too safe, as many others have said. It felt like they were reined in by studio execs constantly so they couldn't go as crazy as they wanted to. The story is very sterile and the world is as well because there were no real risks or attempts at innovation.

It's not a bad game per se (glitches and bugs aside) but it's a bad Saints Row game because it lacked any passion or soul. If it wasn't titled Saints Row then it would have been just another third person shooter that's open world and that's the problem. Nothing about it screamed Saints Row to me.

There's nothing really memorable about it (other than the glitches of course) or anything to really talk about. There's no real discussion about anything memorable in this thread in regards to 2022 (except once again the glitches/bugs) like there has been about the other games. The other games (regardless of overall quality) have a mission or character or cutscene that sticks to your memory. 2022 didn't have any of that. Everything was just kind of bland and there was nothing really to talk about other than the bugs. I literally only remember the ending fight because it glitched out in a really funny way for me and probably everyone else who played it at launch.

It sucks that Volition is closed up because I think if they weren't so reined in and had an opportunity to flex their creative muscles they could have at least made a memorable game. I think the Saints Row IP will live on and be picked up by another company who may or may not succeed.

I say all this as someone who devoted way too much time into 2022 and 100%ed it and would have gotten the platinum except it bugged out and made it impossible.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Saint's Row feels like one of those games that'll get a spiritual successor on Steam in a few years in the vein of Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, the Crazy Taxi alikes or the well received new 3d platformer homages we've seen over the years.

Possibly by a company formed by some people who worked at Volition. It just seems like that's the trajectory for these kinda beloved series from the past, people ask "jeez why did they even stop making them?" for ages and then a company tries to step up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cowman posted:

Just to throw my opinion in the ring, I think that the new one played it too safe, as many others have said. It felt like they were reined in by studio execs constantly so they couldn't go as crazy as they wanted to. The story is very sterile and the world is as well because there were no real risks or attempts at innovation.

Honestly I really liked the whole Reno/Albuquerque mash-up small city but everything really felt like 'what do the Millennials like' as designed by committee, even if I do have a soft spot for the LARP stuff. Wished they'd kept SR2's formula of 'take over city segment, get cutscene' instead of separating the main story from everything else because otherwise the story, what there is of it, comes at you very randomly. SR2 doing its way and then getting the climax when you've taken over the city really felt like the way to go. This admittedly does apply to SR3+.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Agents of Mayhem was supposed to be set in the post-SR4 rebooted universe, right? Did it have many references to that fact? Did Saints Row '22 have any at all?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
From memory, the only references in AoM were a lot of the heroes were very obviously some of our prior cast under new, slightly superhuman identities but still identifiable. It was implied that the leader of the organization was the new Boss.

I'm at ~60% in SR22 and haven't picked up on any deliberate references to the prior games aside from some of the game's mural art showing cans of Saints Flow, and this world also still had an Ultor and some of the Red Faction cross-timeline stuff.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mordja posted:

Agents of Mayhem was supposed to be set in the post-SR4 rebooted universe, right? Did it have many references to that fact?

It treated it like a whole new game with very subtle references. It took place after Gat out of Hell with the "Johnny chooses to reboot the universe and ends up a cop" universe

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The only real stand out good stuff from the new one was the larping stuff. That poo poo was great.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Agents of Mayhem aka. structured like a co-op shooter without the co-op part, or a third person shooter with companions except they're not companions. Then they put a whole lot of effort into the city and cars and whatnot, which was almost completely wasted - the city still felt empty/lifeless to me and an unreasonably large amount of the action happened in the copy-pasted lairs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cowman posted:

It's not a bad game per se (glitches and bugs aside) but it's a bad Saints Row game because it lacked any passion or soul. If it wasn't titled Saints Row then it would have been just another third person shooter that's open world and that's the problem. Nothing about it screamed Saints Row to me.

There's nothing really memorable about it (other than the glitches of course) or anything to really talk about. There's no real discussion about anything memorable in this thread in regards to 2022 (except once again the glitches/bugs) like there has been about the other games. The other games (regardless of overall quality) have a mission or character or cutscene that sticks to your memory. 2022 didn't have any of that. Everything was just kind of bland and there was nothing really to talk about other than the bugs. I literally only remember the ending fight because it glitched out in a really funny way for me and probably everyone else who played it at launch.

It sucks that Volition is closed up because I think if they weren't so reined in and had an opportunity to flex their creative muscles they could have at least made a memorable game. I think the Saints Row IP will live on and be picked up by another company who may or may not succeed.

I say all this as someone who devoted way too much time into 2022 and 100%ed it and would have gotten the platinum except it bugged out and made it impossible.

i think the humor also sucks too. the humor was kinda mixed 3 onward sure(and i like 3) but like nu saints tone sucks and like a good part of the game is loving around with dnd poo poo and also the game is loving DESPERATE for you to believe your friends are cool and your friends and it never works like with 2 or 3 or 4, made the whole weird ending worse because i dont give gently caress about them or the villian.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This is a giveaway on Epic right now.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Thanks for the heads up, I already own it on ps5 but i'll take it on pc also. It's not a terrible game, just kind of mid. Fun to run around in but the story and main missions are bland. Best version of the boss IMO.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It was mid, but better than I thought it would be given the backlash. The LARP missions were great.

My cutie-π boss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Middle of the road with some highlights is a perfect summary of the game. I do like the character customization a lot too, it's a real highlight of the game. If the gun customization actually worked and kept your changes, that would be a fantastic thing too. It's all very robust and really lets you personalize your character and equipment.