Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

You gotta be loving kidding me.

Face/Off is NOT a good movie. It’s like a Michael Bay movie without all the subtlety.

I love Nicholas Cage and will watch anything with him in it. Even poo poo movies. poo poo movies like Face/Off.

How the hell does it have a lower Audience Score??????

How did 82.8 out of 90 certified movie critics decide this was Fresh???

And don’t get me wrong, I am sitting here watching it for the third time. I am entertained… but it’s poo poo.

Am I missing something here?

Oh so you're one of those 8% of idiots that don't think it's a perfect film?

Sorry to hear about your complete lack of taste, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Face/Off is good as long as you don't notice that it's bad
that's true about everything to some degree, but Face/Off is a really potent example

it's like the Looney Tunes gag where a character confidently strides off a cliff and just walks on air for a few paces, then he looks down and realizes he's not standing on anything, and that's when he falls
if you watch Face/Off and the glamour never breaks you're liable to walk away not even realizing anything's amiss

if you pay attention to the fact that it's bad, then it's hilarious

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I seem to recall Face/Off came out during a REALLY poorly received Summer of action/adventure/spectacle movies that were very hyped up but failed to perform at the box office or with critics, and compared to those films F/O got a lot of positive buzz.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I prefer "Gone in Sixty Seconds" which has a score of 25% or "The Rock" which is at 68%

I don't care what that lovely review website says and neither should anyone else

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Nae posted:

Let us also not forget The Rock

He said joint, that's a movie

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Face/Off and Con Air came out in the same month. Face/Off made more money at the box office, though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Face ...

Off.

Face....

Off

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cubone posted:

that's true about everything to some degree, but Face/Off is a really potent example

it's like the Looney Tunes gag where a character confidently strides off a cliff and just walks on air for a few paces, then he looks down and realizes he's not standing on anything, and that's when he falls
if you watch Face/Off and the glamour never breaks you're liable to walk away not even realizing anything's amiss

wtf i thought looney tunes was real

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Surprised they didn't do a Face/Off 2 as a DTV thing once DVD started to get big. Just find a sub-title that hints at it being a second film with the concept.

Face/Off: Double Vision
Face/Off: Two-Faced
Face/Off: Second Impressions
Face/Off: Face 2 Face
Face/Off: To Be, or Not To Be

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Cubone posted:

Exactly, it owns both ways.

Considering it bad means you're a downer loser and should stfu more often.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JediTalentAgent posted:

Surprised they didn't do a Face/Off 2 as a DTV thing once DVD started to get big. Just find a sub-title that hints at it being a second film with the concept.

Face (Off)^2

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

JediTalentAgent posted:

Which B-movie action stars would they rope into doing this after refusing to shell out the cash for Travolta and Cage? I can totally see an absolute dogshit sequel to this movie being released in 2001 starring Val Kilmer and Van Damme.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

Face ...

Off.

Face....

Off
:hmmyes:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I'd like to take the OP's face... off.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Did you know in the original script they had their dicks swapped? It was a very different tone and went through a lot of rewrites before the final product

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
When nic and travolta are fighting eachother hes having a faceoff with the guy who took his face off!! Its like poetry

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

pablo gbscobar posted:

Which B-movie action stars would they rope into doing this after refusing to shell out the cash for Travolta and Cage? I can totally see an absolute dogshit sequel to this movie being released in 2001 starring Val Kilmer and Van Damme.

Van Damme/Peter Stormare, Michael Biehn/Casper Van Dien, or Dolph Lundgren/athlete looking to get into acting all seem era appropriate.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Caesar Saladin posted:

Did you know in the original script they had their dicks swapped? It was a very different tone and went through a lot of rewrites before the final product

Wasn't it called Bate/Off then?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
face off is a beautiful retarded john woo fever dream

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

JediTalentAgent posted:

Van Damme/Peter Stormare, Michael Biehn/Casper Van Dien, or Dolph Lundgren/athlete looking to get into acting all seem era appropriate.

Throw the Rock in there, he'll fit just right

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I remember a thread--i think it was one of the D&D current events threads--where in the course of a conversation where someone was making movie analogies, a goon realized they'd mentally merged Con Air and Air Force One into a single insane movie. From time to time I think about not being able to watch that movie.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Nuts and Gum posted:

Nah this one has gravity boots

They're the same boots as the ones from the Mario Bros. movie, lol.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

JediTalentAgent posted:

Face/Off: Time 2 Face the Music

pablo gbscobar posted:

Giovanni Ribisi and Tony Danza

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I’d like to take the OP’s face… off.

E: someone already said it :negative:

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
Face Off is a 2.5/5 tops Cage film.

Vampires Kiss and Never on Tuesday (un-credited) are actual good Cage films.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I always forget that Gina Gershon is in Face/Off until I rewatch it

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

JediTalentAgent posted:

This reminds me of a film I saw on a Redbox machine when it came out and still need to catch up with: Danny Trejo and Danny Glover in Bad-rear end 2: Bad-Asses

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Hey, anyone saw that recent Nic Cage movie Color out of Space? I thought it owned pretty hard, though I've only seen it once.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mooey Cow posted:

Hey, anyone saw that recent Nic Cage movie Color out of Space? I thought it owned pretty hard, though I've only seen it once.

Very good. So is Mandy. And The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent.

They all pale in comparison to Face/Off though, which is both peak Nic Cage and John Woo.

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

I always forget that Gina Gershon is in Face/Off until I rewatch it

I could eat that peach for hours.

I worked in a shop and in the back room we had an old tv/vcr and only like 5 vhs tapes. One was face/off, i must have seen that movie over 100 times. I always thought i didnt like it, but i remember so many dumb lines that its nostalgia for me now.

Tie your own loving shoes Pollux.

Goddamn Hippy fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 6, 2022

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO

Mooey Cow posted:

It was really good. Also seen it only once when it came out and cant really remember it. Oh. the sick dying wife or something, was too drawn out and I remember just feeling bad like it just took a step too far in some way.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Mr. Fix It posted:

my favorite cage film is The Rock. i don't think it's the best, just my favorite.

That’s my favorite Cage action movie.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
There must have been a new action thriller every week in the 90s. Somehow they usually seem "bigger" than movies from the last couple of decades though. I wonder why?

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Face/Off is just fun cause it's john woo, but it's nowhere near as good as Hard Boiled which is only 2% less on rotten tomatoes at 94%. That's just insanity.

If we're talking Nick Cage, Pig is at 97% and the idea that Face/Off is even in the same realm as that movie is ludicrous.

But who cares, watch what you want to watch.

spleen merchant posted:

There must have been a new action thriller every week in the 90s. Somehow they usually seem "bigger" than movies from the last couple of decades though. I wonder why?

I think it's because actual effort had to go into the set pieces, lot of setup, timing, using all the tricks in book. Now it's just "we'll figure it out in post" or "we'll let the effect department handle that". It's why those (IMO anyways) Mission impossible movies have been so good as of late, and arguably the same for Top Gun Maverick, they actually make a movie, and then use some effect to clean things up. Of course, not everyone is willing to strap themselves to the side of a plane or can fly a helicopter.

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 6, 2022

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint told me he thought Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans was a better movie

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Fat Dan posted:

It was really good. Also seen it only once when it came out and cant really remember it. Oh. the sick dying wife or something, was too drawn out and I remember just feeling bad like it just took a step too far in some way.

man when she cuts her finger off and also when she turns into a monster with her toddler and then his reaction to the whole thing at the end. That movie is great.

Edit: pretty good filmed adaptation of the story, too, honestly.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 6, 2022

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I agree, OP, it's trash. Hard Target and Broken Arrow are Woo's only good US flicks.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

spleen merchant posted:

I still cant get my head around contemporary reviews for stuff like sudden death and rapid fire being negative because the acting and plot are somewhat subpar

We were spoiled for action thrillers and we didn't know how good we had it back then

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Fat Dan posted:

That part was a bit too much body horror for me too. I can overlook it but frankly it's part of why i haven't seen it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Biohazard posted:

Face/Off is just fun cause it's john woo, but it's nowhere near as good as Hard Boiled which is only 2% less on rotten tomatoes at 94%. That's just insanity.

If we're talking Nick Cage, Pig is at 97% and the idea that Face/Off is even in the same realm as that movie is ludicrous.

But who cares, watch what you want to watch.

I think it's because actual effort had to go into the set pieces, lot of setup, timing, using all the tricks in book. Now it's just "we'll figure it out in post" or "we'll let the effect department handle that". It's why those (IMO anyways) Mission impossible movies have been so good as of late, and arguably the same for Top Gun Maverick, they actually make a movie, and then use some effect to clean things up. Of course, not everyone is willing to strap themselves to the side of a plane or can fly a helicopter.

The moment that sticks out to me where CGI started ruining things in big action blockbusters was the plane crash in Air Force One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAXO8qwlrQ8