Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Please remember that just because a bunch of players were drafted high it does not actually guarantee they are good at playing football in the NFL.

Is this about the Jets? I was going to say in the last thread that even if all of Sauce, Wilson (Garrett), Johnson, Hall, etc., are good NFL players, there is going to be an adjustment period for them and that's going to make the early stretch even tougher. The Jets can still be on the upswing and struggle a lot early on because of that.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I feel like Diva and I are usually more positive/optimistic about the Jets than mcmagic is? Other than the skill position post of course

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fsif posted:

If we want a more contemporary example, you did just say that calling Zach Wilson bad means that you had your brain broke by Bills fans' wishful thinking.

Hold on now, fsif. you're twisting his words. he said it was way too early to give up on Wilson despite your post basically treating Wilson being a bust as a fait accompli.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I stand with mcmagic

(Also I could think of no better way to kick off the 2022 AFCE thread.)

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 6, 2022

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

No!!! (Though I assume this means Bam Knight will be back on the PS)

https://twitter.com/zackblatt/status/1567229830546001923?s=21

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Amy Pole Her posted:

Inject this into your veins, Dolphins fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gni8yDtYM00

Chris Simms when he says he thinks Zach Wilson will be good: broke rear end

Chris Simms when he says the Dolphins are better than the Patriots: strong and independent

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

TheBizzness posted:

Do Jets fans want him to start week one? I feel like if it were my team I’d rather him wait another week.

If he's 100% healthy, why wouldn't we want him to start? This whole season is literally about evaluating him

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Sorry about the incoming disaster season, Bills posters

https://twitter.com/nflgameday/status/1567330861913374720?s=21

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Well poo poo

https://twitter.com/zackblatt/status/1567538913895407618?s=21

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fsif posted:

Okay yeah, it definitely didn't qualify as "best take from the thread."

Anyway hope you guys have been enjoying my blurbs on Rotoworld:

But all of the reports said that Wilson looked good in camp and was generally much improved?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fsif posted:

Then why won't they start him if he's healthy?

Like Week One on limited practice, fine I guess (although just about every other starting QB would still get the nod)… but an additional two weeks? For a player that's healthy? He's not a rookie!

Because he’s obviously not fully healthy? Who said he was fully healthy?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fsif posted:

The Rotoworld blurb and this Connor Hughes hit led me to believe he was 100%, but not 110%. Anyway, if he's not healthy then that's that, but it's still odd that Saleh would do A Gamesmanship for a very unlikely Week 1 start but doesn't leave himself gamesmanships on the table for Weeks 2 and 3.

Well, they're not putting Wilson on short-term IR so he can practice (at least I'm pretty sure I read that). So Saleh could be doing A Gamesmanship by saying he'll be back in Week 4 because the team can walk that back whenever they want, right?

I'm mostly joking. I think it's a combo of things: (1) the meniscus is fine or close to it but the bone bruise is taking longer than expected, like Metapod said, (2) they want to give him a week of practice time when he comes back, and, most importantly, (3) they just shat the bed on communicating the injury timeline and should have said 4-6 weeks from the jump.

Also plz don't get your football news from Rotoworld blurbs.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 7, 2022

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fsif posted:

I saw it then cross-checked with a beat reporter that said, "The Jets have insisted from the very beginning to wait until Zach Wilson is 100% before he returns to the field—apparently that's not totally true. Robert Saleh said on Wednesday that they actually want him to be 110%." Come on! How else was I supposed to interpret that?

Oh I was referring more to the bit about it being a stealth benching and that Wilson had a bad camp (which is something flatly refuted by pretty much every Jets beat guy).

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

lol great

https://twitter.com/zackblatt/status/1567615455157788674?s=21

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Mods please change the thread title to #VagusNerve

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Good loving lord does it suck being a Jets fan

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Aaron Donald appears to still be good, whaddya know

Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs are also good

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I think kickoffs out of bounds are hilarious

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Jordan Phillips is apparently the best defensive lineman in football

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

My god

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

sirtommygunn posted:

Bills look like a Superbowl team with some rust to shake off and the Rams look like they'd struggle to reach 6 wins this season.

Stafford looks...bad (even before that pick)

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

The Jets are going to get loving boat raced twice by this Bills team even worse than last year

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Meanwhile in Jets land

https://twitter.com/willpa11/status/1568187949522604034?s=21

It would be nice if the Jets could develop a mid-round lineman for once. I assume there’s gonna be a ton of 12 personnel on Sunday.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Love to have to start a 4th round rookie right before playing Myles Garrett, TJ Watt, and Trey Hendrickson. Fant should be solid enough at LT, at least, and having (1) AVT at RG and (2) a totally reworked TE room should at least take some pressure off of Mitchell.

But again, at some point the Jets are going to have to develop a mid-round offensive lineman like other teams seemingly do on a near annual basis.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 9, 2022

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

TheBizzness posted:

Trying to remind myself not to overreact to Week 1. My biggest take away is that Stafford looks washed AF though.

Yeah Week 1 is always super weird, but Stafford looked, if not totally washed, completely uninspiring.

It's crazy to think that the Bills could actually improve from last night just by...not turning the ball over four times.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

We thought Stephen Hill was an absolute star for one (1) game, that game ruled

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I also forgot that prior to that game the Jets had a decade long stretch of not returning a punt for a touchdown. That also rules.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fsif posted:

I feel like that's better news than I was expecting. Obviously still a small disaster, though.

For the Jets “hoping to return as soon as week 5” means he’s returning in week 10.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Jets 31

Ravens 3

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Actually my mental health is entirely on the hands of the New York Jets now, I’m afraid to say

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 11, 2022

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

LightReaper posted:

Maybe for you but I’m built different

We got that dog in us

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

In all seriousness, Im expecting a comfortable Ravens win just because Lamar is Lamar and he can neutralize the Jets’ biggest strength (the defensive line). But the Ravens are also going to be without some key starters (and even if Dobbins or Peters play, they’ll be limited), and week 1 is always weird, so I wouldn’t be shocked if it was a pretty competitive game.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Rooting for the outcomes that would cause the most chaos in this subforum:

1. Joe Flacco picks the Ravens apart and looks far better than Zach Wilson en route to a blowout Jets win

2. Tua gets totally flummoxed by Belichick and throws 3 INT, including one on an underthrown deep ball to Tyreek

3. Patriots offense looks horrible, but Patriots eek out a *rolls dice* 14-9 win.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Bryce Huff being inactive is mega weird

https://twitter.com/zackblatt/status/1568985999425806337?s=46&t=x9pZAmrvAJ0ZIzxcHHACqg

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Who's the 3rd OT with McDermott down lol

Grant Hermanns lmfao

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Looking forward to the “Jets Crash on 9/11” NY Post back page tomorrow

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

The NY Post is always classy.

Putting it in spoilers because it's kind of gross, but this will forever be the best/most outrageous Post cover:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Week 1 and we're already doing this.

I like him now

https://twitter.com/zackblatt/status/1569006676086251522?s=46&t=x9pZAmrvAJ0ZIzxcHHACqg

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Corey Davis is BACK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Jets defense looks so much faster at every level so far. They look solid so far, granted it’s in the rain etc