Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

TheBizzness posted:

We aren’t beating the Bills but we can continue to sweep the Pats and Jets that would be cool.

You can take one off of the Bills if your offense is pretty good. The box score was a little misleading in that your defense played them pretty well, it's just the offense was atrocious and hosed them bad in both games.

I think the offensive scheme is a bit of a hassle for what Buffalo does defensively. I don't know there's evidence that it's a kryptonite or anything, but then again they haven't played anyone besides the Titans and they gave them a lot of trouble. I think the two back stuff is even more of a hassle on paper for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
https://twitter.com/TDPhinsTalk/status/1567954577709744132?s=20&t=8Il5qoCKGwKOkFBLwSq3fQ

You get chased out of your stadium by Rammstein and then filmed by randos practicing in a public park, gotta be demoralizing.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 8, 2022

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

If your offense is dysfunctional enough that the Bills can sit there in Cover-2 against you, you’re kinda hosed. It’s similar in a sense to the Dolphins cover-0 stuff, in that it’s a real risky strategy against good offenses as but if you’re at the point they can run it with impunity you’re going to get embarrassed.

Not to take too much away from the Bills but the Rams are kinda hosed up right now.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I attended all but like two home games from 2000-2019, I don’t know what the record of that is but I don’t rule out being a significant portion of the problem for the post-Marino years.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

is pepsi ok posted:

Back in 2010 my gf (now wife) got us really good tickets to the Jets game on MNF for my birthday. Well we lost, and a couple weeks later she surprised me with tickets again (this time against the Steelers) because she wanted me to see the Dolphins win. These were, very understandably, much worse seats because money was tight back then.

So I tell one of my coworkers that I'm going to the game on Sunday and he says he'll be there too because one of his vendors is from Pittsburgh and they got a skybox at the game and invited him, so we made plans to meet up at halftime. We get to the game and we're way up in the nosebleeds, but the Dolphins jump out to an early lead and things are looking good. At halftime I give my buddy a call and we meet up at the concessions. He tells me there's plenty of room in the skybox and invites me and my gf to come by.

I go and tell my gf the ~good news~ and she stares into my soul and says "what's wrong with the seats I got us?" Now on one hand I'm clearly loving up here. But on the other hand, I've never been to a skybox before and the Dolphins are winning so I can't pass up this opportunity.

We get there and of course the Steelers start mounting a comeback. They end up down 2 on the goal line late in the 4th. Then this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRInQyUV16k

The refs gently caress up what is a clear fumble and recovery, the Steelers get the TD, everyone in the skybox is celebrating and high fiving, my gf is staring daggers into me, and I just wanted to crawl into a hole and die.

That might have been the game which saw a Steelers WR catch the ball, take five steps and lose it only for it to be ruled he didn’t make a “football move” so it was incomplete and not a fumble.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Amy Pole Her posted:

Enjoy the humidity on the sunny sideline patriots muhaha

https://twitter.com/Chris_Spatola/status/1568645366786195456?s=20&t=xgMYbDX4gMmmFk0Xs-mK9g

I wonder at which point it's going to become unsafe to play football games outside in our climate hellscale

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Tua didn't look like a radically different player than last year, but it's week one against a division rival I'm not sure there's a reason to give a poo poo beyond an intention to stick a flag in the ground over your priors.

I'm not really sure I saw the thing that everyone expected in re: to New England's offensive coaching. It didn't seem like the sub-NFL level stuff everyone seemed to expect.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Tua didn’t dispel any notions about himself yesterday but I don’t think you can discount that Belichick has made better quarterbacks look much worse than that in recent memory. Maybe it isn’t the same caliber defense but that’s a better performance than all but one or two guys put up on the Pats last year as modest as it was. McDaniel was pretty much upfront about Belichick winning the coaching battle on this one, it’s just it didn’t matter for other reasons.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Rookie UDFA from a division II school plays 18 snaps as a dime DB week one and ends two drives and arguably a third too. Footbaw is back baby

https://twitter.com/iamcuyler/status/1569136176182820864?s=20&t=dLIyFkZqvHoUs79S50i9Qw

https://twitter.com/FinCuts/status/1569024030933659648

https://twitter.com/AintChristLike/status/1569087548982689793

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 12, 2022

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I think the big, central unifying problem here is that someone convinced Belichick they could run a bunch of Shanahan stuff, and all those other things are a symptom. NE has done a good job running outside zone in the past with some unlikely lines, but it was always a curveball. At one point they were a really shockingly good outside zone team in short yardage, which is no small marvel.

The outside zone was a disaster, like some of your guys flat out can't loving do it. Trent Brown got shipped out of SF after a year in which they stage-managed the hell out of him, and Michael Onwenu just can't flat loving do it:

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/1569508415893798913?s=20&t=lpSXiTQW8CXxJlEc4_LHkA

That's where a lot of the run stuffs came from. It's possible it killed their PA gameplan- if you can't run block it you can't block PA either. The Shanahan stuff doesn't play well with RPOs because one's largely under center and the other can't be. SF put a lot of work in to run their bread and butter stuff out of shotgun, but that all largely depends on a fullback.

That amount of 12 is in itself novel, the only one in recent memory who really ran that much two TE stuff was Philly with Ertz/Goedert(Miami did, but doesn't count Gesicki is a WR). That's going to replace a lot of your "other" formations, but then again you're doing it to showcase Jonnu Smith(who kind of depends on the outside zone stuff to work himself).

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/finscentral/status/1569804914976595970?s=20&t=RqtjBWGtVThBpPVZv4JklQ

There was a lot of skepticism(and I think jury is still out on snapping), but moving Connor Williams might have been a brilliant move. You're paying the guy $7m a year and he's immediately doing everything you want in-scheme for the position very well week one. He's got excellent movement skills, he's showing off some of those former LT technique in pass protection, and he's got a much better anchor and power than you'd have gotten for paying a 1st for Tyler Linderbaum or whatever.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/MiamiDolphins/status/1571522126850527233

It's Tanner Conner time baby(I'm pretty surprised he's getting the nod over Carter at this point but hey). Trey Flowers is a go, too.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Ehud posted:

Pretty sure Cethan Carter had a concussion last week.

oh right

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

chilihead posted:

It's been only a couple of hours and i heard 3 radio personalities state Tua had a big day because the Ravens failed. Amazing.

I mean you could certainly make an argument that the Dolphins come back had a little bit to do with the Ravens easing up on the gas a little bit, but it really wasn't that much. The Ravens checked into garbage time defense for a little bit of the third quarter, but they basically checked out of it by the time that single drive got back into the red zone.

If we're talking what-if's, a lot of the Dolphins early struggles were either weird misfires(blown coverage, dropped passes, Tua misfires) or a real host of bad ref calls that made the Ravens look like they were much better and the Dolphins much worse early on.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

CubanMissile posted:

Homers are so weird sometime. Like Fitzy gave critical feedback in what was the nicest manner humanly possible.

I mean on some level it was less than the professional courtesy of only saying good things about your former teammates.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

it's a small thing at the end of the day, but Alec Ingold's "run blocking" on pass plays is a really loving cool element of the offense:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/1571671442596691969?s=20&t=IHpZvrzsedF_b3s6dNzjTw

https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/1571669576462798850?s=20&t=IHpZvrzsedF_b3s6dNzjTw

I wanted Patrick Ricard and I was wrong, it's really loving a lot of fun that you've got a fullback out there running "routes" which are just basically legal circumventions of the "ineligible receiver downfield" rule.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

posting at halftime is a mug's game

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I mean I think the reality is Tua is going to get a bunch of free yardage:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/1571673075175006208?s=20&t=UJKdrxhpuhsP88d8-rLKig

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/MarkDanielsPJ/status/1572242532838383617?s=20&t=srgmEMH0Kp4U1oeSitoijg

my god

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

At the risk of mcmagicing myself, I think the Bills defense is a paper tiger. It's built to defend a lead. If they've got a two-score lead they're going to look great- they can sit back in conservative coverage shells and let their DL attack. I don't think they're any different from last year- they're not going to win you a shoot-out, and they're not going to bail you out if it's a ball-control scripted game.

I severely doubt Miami can ball control Buffalo- but if they can do a decent job neutralizing the Bills DL I think it'll be a shoot-out. They can't cover your guys, and I think McDaniel is going to treat this like Miami's Super Bowl and pull out all the tricks and constraint plays and all that. If you can pull out a win, you've suddenly changed your season in a wild way.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

fsif posted:

The Bills didn't jump out to big leads until the second half of either game this year and the defense remained stout.

Yeah, but I don't think it's much of a caveat to suggest the offense on some level has to have the ability to provide some sort of challenge to the Bills defense for it to be true. I'm not sure you could purposefully design an offense better at eating poo poo against the Bills. Bad OL, no run game, and entirely short passing game. Like the only challenge is maybe some stuff with numbers on what the Bills like to do in coverage vs. RPOs, but it didn't work for poo poo either.

The DL is new, but that might just be down to Von Miller at this point no?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

If the Bills defense has a decent showing tomorrow despite all this I might have to take back the bit about their scheme being corny as hell and McDermott falling dick first into the only circumstances that could make it look good in 2022

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

fsif posted:

Still trying to decide if I become a "wow, this game was like the Super Bowl for the Dolphins" guy or a "as we know, nothing from Week Three ever changes" guy if Miami wins.

both can be true

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Warren Sharp's website had an interesting bit from a somewhat obsolete article:
https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/betting/nfl-week-3-picks-best-bets-ats-kevin-kelley/

quote:

I will say that I found some interesting information on Allen versus the blitz. While he is getting better, he still has some major deficiencies when teams bring six or more and Miami is the team that is most likely to do that. Allen tends to dump the ball of short at a higher percentage than normal when most probably think he would buy time scrambling and throw it down the field. Allen is 1-for-4 this year against six-man blitzes with 2.0 yards per attempt. No quarterback saw more six-man blitzes than Allen (65) in 2021.

The difference between five guys coming after you and six is amazing. Allen recognizes that even he has a hard time getting away from that many pass rushers. Allen will have plenty of opportunities to throw downfield against the man-to-man defense and usually that equates to a lower completion percentage but a higher yards per completion than normal.

I think that kind of explains why he's very hit or miss vs. Miami and why the defense probably was better than it looked on paper w/ re: to wide swathes of time where the Bills didn't really do much offensively last year- heavier blitzes hurt Allen, and what allowed him to overcome that was in no small part is that Miami couldn't do anything on offense and let him keep getting the ball back with zero urgency.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/MiamiDolphins/status/1574058804202950659?s=20&t=OjL2sMxB-vZgMwlmiDrfOw

Surprise Raekwon Davis deactivation, I wonder if this is the same knee that slowed him down all last year.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 25, 2022

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

lmao you basically rope-a-doped Buffalo in the heat that’s hilarious.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/houtz/status/1574133542270951427?s=46&t=vfiTQcbaZFK6j_BReU8rCQ

Josh Allen was like a dog left in a hot car and this is the humanitarian thing to do

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

mcmagic posted:

How do you have 500 total yards and only 1 TO and only score 19 points????

Josh Allen is a check down machine when you blitz him.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

If Buffalo could block the blitz up worth a poo poo they wouldn’t need 10 play drives entirely made up of check downs to do anything and run themselves ragged.

Like you can make the argument that the Dolphins were better conditioned for the heat and that was the difference but that shouldn’t have been a shock for Buffalo either.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Paracausal posted:

If you think it was the Miami blitz that won the game, get your locked up back checked out

You gotta investigate Josh Allen for a concussion if that’s what he did on his own then

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Paracausal posted:

He threw for 400yds lol

I have no idea what game you were possibly watching if your takeaway for the game wasn't that Josh Allen was sitting there putting his body on the line to find the check down for most of the game. Like if you require positive affirmation as some sort of consolation prize I'll admit that he had some very nice and improbable passes in those circumstances? If you wanna take an angle here maybe say that Josh Allen would have thrown for 600 yards and scored 5 touchdowns and won big if Mitch Morse was there and someone else(Allen) wasn't constantly blowing protection calls?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

torgeaux posted:

Look how far up from the back line he is.

They 100% should have just taken the safety there.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

The OL ended up with the third choice centre and a TE playing RG.

IMO Buffalo should have showed up early and got acclimated to the heat. What are you guys gonna say in December when someone shows up and isn't prepared for a blizzard in December? Bill Belichick's team didn't start sucking wind because it was 105 degrees and 100% humidity that's for sure.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

t a s t e posted:

I'm glad we all agree that while buffalo could and perhaps should have been better prepared for the heat, the heat nevertheless had a huge impact on the game

Buffalo's offense died of heat stroke because they needed 15.3 plays per drive to score. Maybe simply don't do that?

Come December when Buffalo wins a game because it's 25 degrees with 5 feet of snow are we going to have Bills fans out here with their hats clenched over their hearts admitting that without their teams weather advantage maybe a game wouldn't have turned out like it did? No*

* and not just because they've got a good chance of making GBS threads the bed because it's now windy too and Josh Allen needs a dome.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

t a s t e posted:

It’d be more accurate to say that it was the weather and over a third of the bills starters being out

The rematch won’t be close at all

I mean the referees gave Buffalo like six timeouts per half to deal with it what else do you want?

We'll see come December if the Bills are still competitive and Josh Allen is still alive when the rest of the league figures out that if you send six he's going to take a big shot to deliver a checkdown every time

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 25, 2022

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

th3t00t posted:

Bills are frauds. Haven’t won a one score game since the 2020 season.

Blew a timeout in the first half before a dolphins punt for no apparent reason. Ended up costing them at least 3 points at the end of the first half not being able to stop the clock.

Missed a gimme 38 yard field goal.

Had 1:30ish to get into FG range at the end of the game with no time outs and blew it.

A few ticky tack calls to extend some dolphins drives and a few no calls to help end some bills drives.

And tack on all the injuries.

Dominated the box score, but not the scoreboard.

They’ve lost all 7 of their last 7 single score games.

They either dominate or come up short. Not sure what to think about that.

your leading rusher was your QB and your leading receiver was your runningback, maybe don't look too hard at the box score

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

TheBizzness posted:

Christian Wilkins definitely honked Josh Allen’s cock.

he'll stop at nothing to get the sack

imo he 100% should be credited with all the retaliatory penalties he draws as sack yardage

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

t a s t e posted:

fins' plan was clearly to let them take the short stuff and limit the big plays and they certainly accomplished that

Miami didn't limit the big plays, Josh Allen did. I posted this before the game but it's basically 100% describing this game:

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/betting/nfl-week-3-picks-best-bets-ats-kevin-kelley/

quote:

I will say that I found some interesting information on Allen versus the blitz. While he is getting better, he still has some major deficiencies when teams bring six or more and Miami is the team that is most likely to do that. Allen tends to dump the ball of short at a higher percentage than normal when most probably think he would buy time scrambling and throw it down the field. Allen is 1-for-4 this year against six-man blitzes with 2.0 yards per attempt. No quarterback saw more six-man blitzes than Allen (65) in 2021.

The difference between five guys coming after you and six is amazing. Allen recognizes that even he has a hard time getting away from that many pass rushers. Allen will have plenty of opportunities to throw downfield against the man-to-man defense and usually that equates to a lower completion percentage but a higher yards per completion than normal.

I'm sure someone will break down the Dolphins blitzes but I'm not sure this was Ken Dorsey not adjusting the blocking as it was you kept losing your guys and Miami kept hitting Allen with free rushers.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

fsif posted:

You also posted that McD's defense was tacky and would be exposed but they held together with practice squadders.

What'd the Dolphins end up running, something like 30 plays? Ending up with like a point per passing attempt?

Seems pretty good to me, none of them got heat stroke either fwiw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

fsif posted:

Good heat stroke own, I guess.

I mean I'm being a little cavalier about a serious issue, but the Bills coaching staff was negligent in hell as managing it. They made zero attempt to acclimate the players to the heat, didn't try to break out of the framework where every drive took 10+ players after their players were absolutely fried, and worst of all they didn't give their players special umbrellas and umbrella-holding attendants like Josh Allen got.