Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
You say that this game isn’t very good, but the first impression is solid? The people and characters are off-putting, but in that way that actual people online can be weird and off putting. The NPC bot characters are funny in how derp they are. The premise is pretty good overall. The environment maps look great. Probably the worst part is the deus-ex rear end pull save from the first case, and how the game definitely shows the signs of continuing down that path. But so far, my overall take is positive on the game so far.

The farming game gives me some horror vibes from how uncomfortable the shown game mechanics make me. But that just adds to the genuine feeling of how bad games can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Inadequately posted:

I was going to get into this discussion later, but since it's been brought up, for the most part my disillusionment with the game stems from how it ends up, rather than how it starts out. I certainly don't think the game's entirely irredeemable - if it was, I wouldn't be showing it off. It's largely a matter of unfulfilled potential.

The main issue with the first case is that it hinges around an impossible promise they'd never be able to fully commit to ("let's throw the player into the sleaziest, most twisted and hosed-up place on the Net"), but in broad strokes the central premise of "kid who thinks he's hot poo poo gets swept up into something way over his head" is still a decent core for the first case. There's also the issue, as people have pointed out, that both sides involved in the central conflict are such terrible people that by the end of it you mostly just want to wash your hands of the whole affair - not necessarily a bad thing if that's the tone you're going for, but it certainly doesn't endear the game to most people. A minor change I'd probably make on that front would be to have Timmy as the one who contacted you in a panic, with Geoffrey Haggis as the disapproving figure who insists on being the Big Man that wants to settle this affair all by himself. That way, when Fredo is rescued we get a reminder that there are people who (even if it's for somewhat misguided reasons) actually care for Fredo for who he is, rather than "hooray, we returned Fredo to...his clearly abusive father :confuoot: "

We haven't finished the second case yet, but for the most part I think it's pretty solid. Might have one too many cheap shots at Farmville and other mobile games of that ilk for my liking, but by and large this case could probably be run largely unchanged in any successful incarnation of this game.

The third case, however, is where the metaplot starts to factor more and more heavily into the game's storyline, largely to its detriment. We'll get more into why that is later, but for the most part the ways in which the game goes downhill are fairly self-evident.

I'm not surprised by any of that, really. I look forward to seeing how it trips the landing, and the game's writing has enough heart to it that I hope it keeps that, at least. I do feel that the first case is a good tone-setter if the game wants to go in that direction. Plus it does have some good character moments like the grandpa/grand-daughter sidequest. This is also the first game (or the first piece of media period) I've seen where you have someone who's over 60 and presents as over 60 flirt with someone and have it be played straight.

I actually like the Farmville jabs, largely because that's how satire works. It's a proven form of humor after all, and I do appreciate that some media is calling out mobile gaming nonsense in SOME form. I feel that mockery and pressure does need to be applied to that kind of poo poo, to slow down people accepting that kind of poo poo as acceptable status quo.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I honestly disliked how that case resolved, unfortunately. The drama it keeps trying to inject in is falling flat to me due to lack of establishing the rules of what’s even happening. Like I don’t believe that we’re ever in danger due to things moving strictly at the speed of plot.

The conversations to the end were also kind of annoying me.

Unfortunately if it’s all downhill from here, I understand why you say the game isn’t very good. Pity, I still say the aesthetic is really good.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I think this case is too early, and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if another case was planned for before this one before getting cut.

Ken's death is too sudden, the character arc hasn't had any time to mature before they killed him.