Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

wow, when did they start making 1TB phones? lol

canada pricing is good it looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

looking forward to my iphone 15 pro with usb-c next year

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

ill do a 14promax i think, but i'm not gonna get 256gb this time. Didn't even start to fill it up on the 13

i have a 512gb iphone 11 and it's such a stupidly large amount of storage i downloaded a 100gb offline copy of wikipedia just to waste it on something

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

yeah, 128GB is good enough - im at 35GB of 64GB and thats with a ton of photos/videos. icloud is worth it to offload all this poo poo.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

ill do a 14promax i think, but i'm not gonna get 256gb this time. Didn't even start to fill it up on the 13

i'm just over 128 on my xs and that's with a photo library dragged forward from every iphone and touch i've had, a stack of apps, several audiobooks, and a bunch of music

any effort to space manage would make it plenty storage

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
the phone pro is quite neat, fancy screen with always on and better chip (so probably better battery life) are all good upgrades

the non-pro phone... only has the satellite stuff thats new right? and the watch only has the body temperature stuff? they talked about it for period tracking but i hope it can also tell if i get covid before its obvious

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Endless Mike posted:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

also when is the new ios out

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

poty posted:

the phone pro is quite neat, fancy screen with always on and better chip (so probably better battery life) are all good upgrades

the non-pro phone... only has the satellite stuff thats new right? and the watch only has the body temperature stuff? they talked about it for period tracking but i hope it can also tell if i get covid before its obvious
the non-pro also gets the car crash sensors iirc

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

wow. nothing good announced as expected. new watch looks ugly and expensive. who do they think they are? Rolex?? thanks Tim!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

poty posted:

also when is the new ios out

october

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FMguru posted:

is there really a car crash sensor

lol

poty
Jun 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/engadget/status/1567592230579326978

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
well, i dont care about any of these things

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

pretty lame

my 11 pro lives another year

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

is there really a car crash sensor

lol

can’t wait for them to publish metrics that show which apps people are using as they crash

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the tesla management app

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i guess the main new thing on the non-pro is that theres now a less expensive hugephone

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

the new phones are a piece of poo poo

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Got a Watch Ultra, estimated delivery Friday September 23rd.

Conned myself into going that direction instead of a Series 8 by convincing myself that my very large wrist could use the larger watch. Very worried I'm gonna look like the guy with a ton of pristine REI gear.

That said, now I need to figure out what to do about having an Apple Watch with LTE. I've always gotten the non-LTE version because my work pays for my cellular plan and won't pay for adding an Apple Watch to the plan. I'll see if I need to just start paying for my own cell plan again or if there's another solution.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FMguru posted:

for some reason i thought this was a feature in carplay, but maybe it's contingent on the car manufacturer supporting emergency services calling? i could be getting my car's paired phone behavior confused with ios

or, at least, as a vehicle sensor solution. this being better as individual and not needing to be plugged in or paired in some way is better

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

Got a Watch Ultra, estimated delivery Friday September 23rd.

Conned myself into going that direction instead of a Series 8 by convincing myself that my very large wrist could use the larger watch. Very worried I'm gonna look like the guy with a ton of pristine REI gear.

That said, now I need to figure out what to do about having an Apple Watch with LTE. I've always gotten the non-LTE version because my work pays for my cellular plan and won't pay for adding an Apple Watch to the plan. I'll see if I need to just start paying for my own cell plan again or if there's another solution.

you can just not activate it

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Endless Mike posted:

you can just not activate it

Ah, that's good to know.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I want the watch ultra

poty
Jun 21, 2008

yeah ive had a steel watch for 4 years and never had an lte plan for it (so never used the cellular bit)

https://twitter.com/AppleSupport/status/1567594179429007362

poty fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 7, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im on 16 beta and the new lockscreen is really good and i enjoy it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

rotor posted:

my prediction is that the new iphones will be a vertical slider format with a hardware keyboard, I got a good feeling about it this time

I guess they're gonna hold a big feature switch like this to 15, makes sense really

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lol why is Dynamic Island (don't worry it's just a name) only available on the Pro? Isn't it just software?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
did they say how much better the a16 is compared to the a15?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LuckyCat posted:

Lol why is Dynamic Island (don't worry it's just a name) only available on the Pro? Isn't it just software?

it relies on the physical design of the notch on the pro screen. the actual notch is the oval you see when it's idle, that area is always black and never uncovered. it has more space on either side and a bit of space above it which is worked into the layout of the animated popouts

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

forgot I still have this :lol:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

it relies on the physical design of the notch on the pro screen. the actual notch is the oval you see when it's idle, that area is always black and never uncovered. it has more space on either side and a bit of space above it which is worked into the layout of the animated popouts

oh :mad:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

Ah, that's good to know.

yeah i've been getting the stainless ones which only come in cellular and i have never activated one. works fine and other than like offering to do it when you first pair, it never bugs you about it

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

steve jobs is rolling in his sofa in his grave

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i didnt watch any of this has the imposter tim cook announced his resignation yet

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Roosevelt posted:

i didnt watch any of this has the imposter tim cook announced his resignation yet

Watch it and find out, you weakass

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Roosevelt posted:

he committed seppuku on stage for dishonouring steve

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Endless Mike posted:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Vintersorg posted:

how do you forget you have a life-sized dummy dressed as a dead ceo inside what appears to be a cardboard rickshaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
im choosing to believe thats a walk in closet btw