Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Since it's a new thread, I'm gonna go against the grain a little bit and say there are good things in this game. The gathering is alright and the combat is decent, which makes PvP pretty cool. The drawbacks to this are, there are very limited PvP options (one OPR map, 3v3 arenas are really stupid, wars are very laggy, fluctuating weapon balance, etc etc) and there is little to no development in these areas. Rather than new modes or maps, they will just mostly reskin old art assets or adjust numbers/stats/perks to make the game "fresh" rather than something actually substantive. If you are really dead set on buying this game with the above disclaimer, take your time and enjoy exploring because there are some cool environments and honestly not a ton to do until you hit level 60 outside of like basic quests. Do not go into this game expecting it to get better because it's just not gonna happen. The only development in this game is to make it easier to hit 60, and then they are putting out a new zone where you can fight more monsters and do more questing. Greatsword might come eventually but by then you'll have done everything you want to do.

If anyone needs more details on the above, you can reference the previous thread, where Discospawn has gone through great lengths to point out the baffling decisions made by AGS in regards to just about every aspect of this game.
Username, etc. Just kidding :lol:

I said come in! posted:

CCP is trying to speed run its collapse. The jump to $20 a month for a sub to the surprise of no one but CCP, caused a huge collapse in player numbers.
Holy poo poo, $20?! That's just... madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
https://forums.newworld.com/t/fresh-start-server/755285/142

Looks like fresh servers are coming. No information about transfers yet but I imagine they'd have to be no transfer eligibility for at least a period in order to prevent major alliances from coming in and just taking over.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

ShowTime posted:

https://forums.newworld.com/t/fresh-start-server/755285/142

Looks like fresh servers are coming. No information about transfers yet but I imagine they'd have to be no transfer eligibility for at least a period in order to prevent major alliances from coming in and just taking over.

Good. Playing without all the launch economy shenanigans will be interesting.

Surprised this game is generating hype again!

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
"Generating hype" is a bit generous, but it's definitely resurfacing on a lot of people's radars with the big update incoming, as well as the fact it finally includes the greatsword, which people have been wanting since the start. If they can stick a landing on their "expansion", this is so far the best and possibly last chance they have to turn the trajectory of this game around. Of course, in the past they have managed to gently caress up literally everything in ways nobody thought possible, but never say never.

Hell, I've already lost interest in the greatsword off previews alone, because it's another dumb anime weapon.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Hra Mormo posted:

If they can stick a landing on their "expansion", this is so far the best and possibly last chance they have to turn the trajectory of this game around. Of course, in the past they have managed to gently caress up literally everything in ways nobody thought possible, but never say never.

Hell, I've already lost interest in the greatsword off previews alone, because it's another dumb anime weapon.

If they announced an expansion with 10 PvP maps and/or a payload map I'd absolutely preorder that poo poo. That's how much fun OPR could be and why it sucks that it won't happen.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I've got a question for the pros here.

I bought this on release, had some fun with it, burned out somewhere in the level 40-50 range. There were some things I liked, I do like chill games where you can interact with the environment, but I left for pretty much the same exact reason lots of people did, no point retreading all that.

So yesterday I went ahead and downloaded the PTR client to give the new player experience a try. Game's already bought and paid for, and I like watching service games change over time. Now here's the thing - I only had like 90 hours in the original game, so that's not much. But when I got into the PTR, right away something felt off. Different from how it felt when I played at launch.

The graphics seemed worse somehow. It defaults to "high" - I moved that up a notch to "very high" (which I didn't do with the retail version) and it still looked wrong. I see screenshots all the time that look nicer than what I'm seeing, but my hardware is the exact same. Textures appear washed out and just kind of empty. Not glitched, not broken, just seem to lack detail.

The movement feels loose and janky, and I remember distinctly that the combat felt tight at release. I still hate the lack of animation cancelling, which minimizes my ability to react dynamically and instead makes me memorize enemy attack patterns instead, but that's a design choice. I'm talking about something slightly more subtle - a feeling of slight disconnect with the world, a bit of a "floaty" feeling. It's not unresponsive, it just feels a bit loose.

Does the PTR client have some fundamental difference that separates it from retail? Has anyone else experienced any of this? I know these are vague and lovely explanations but it's all I've got. I'm considering downloading the retail client to see if this is all in my head.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
They further confirmed (because people were still doubtful, but you'll understand why soon) that there will be fresh start no transfer servers via Twitter and that information would be released soon. As you'd expect from a community of bitter sweat lords, almost a year into a traumatizing experience: they mad. When people started asking for them, there was a little pushback, but most of it was "AGS would never do that". When it actually got acknowledged by AGS, that community really started pushing about how bad fresh start servers would be and even argued that they'd already gotten them. As we saw from those new servers, established companies jumped onto the server and immediately rushed to capture all the settlements. But when AGS actually confirmed the fresh start servers with no transfers, people got absolutely vitriolic in their comments. Most of the threads now on Reddit, the forums and Twitter are about how dumb these servers will be and how these servers will accomplish nothing and are a waste of time. Every one seems to want to make their opinion known via their own, unique thread outlining the 10 reasons how AGS is loving up again.

But everyone that isn't a bitter veteran is super excited about the servers and while cautiously optimistic, are excited about the possibilities. I know of at least 10+ others in my little gaming circle that are following the new servers and if things look good, will be making a comeback.

But wow, if you really want to see what this existing community looks like, check the subreddit, Twitter and the official forums.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

If they really want to give these people a stroke, they should have random NPC invasions, that cannot be repelled, take back settlements every few weeks and set them back to ground zero neutral. Every few weeks randomize the settlement list, then every few days knock them down in list order. Once they're all done, randomize the list and do it again. If you get lucky your settlement will last a month or two, if unlucky, a week or two.

I don't think this is a particularly good idea, but if I were in charge I'd implement it instantly anyway. The game is already floundering, tossing a firecracker into the toilet like that can only bring about a stunning spectacle and some incredible news articles about it.

What's more fun - logging into a boring grind, or logging into some global chat epic meltdowns every day?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
They were almost doing that. The invasions weren't quite random, but on release if you lost your invasion, which was very likely since they were insanely tough while people leveled and figured things out, you would lose some upgrades. They could be something basic and easily fixed, or it could be something massive like a major workbench upgrade. You couldn't lose the settlement entirely as far as I know. But sometimes a settlement would entirely lose access to a tier of upgrades and be stuck without them. When that happened, global chat would inevitably freak out and those that didn't know would talk poo poo about how bad X company was for not upgrading or fixing it immediately.

I wouldn't mind some kind of system that escalated the difficulty of the invasion based on the income coming in. Some of those settlements are making millions and millions a week and just floating by. Everfall and Windsward should almost always have like a mutated max tier invasion coming in. If you want that good reward, you should really have a challenge.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Shouldn’t the challenge be coming from wars? If they are making that much income then they are going to be the most contested. Obvious issues with shell companies aside.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
invasion difficulty did scale with how upgraded the city was at release, the difference between winning our first at all and winning our first at WW was noticeable

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The newest PTR patch is going up right now with the Brimstone update. As is usual with AGS, what's actually happening is very confusing.

https://www.newworld.com/en-us/news/articles/ptr-brimstone-sands-release

https://forums.newworld.com/t/ptr-brimstone-sands-release-notes/761328

https://forums.newworld.com/t/ptr-welcome-and-thank-you-brimstone-sands-update/754424

Some of that info states that there is a wipe, that there may be a wipe, that players must create a new character using a lvl 60 backstory to participate in Brimstone, but it also kind of sounds like you can just keep testing the old stuff, but maybe not? Your guess is as good as mine. Servers are supposed to be down for 2 hours, but we'll see exactly how long with this kind of update.

Edit: PTR came up and basically on time. So far nothing major but there are the usual quests that can't be finished, items not spawning, etc. All reasons for the PTR. Server seems to be running smoothly and they give you enough stuff to absolutely do whatever you want. They even thought to make items weigh less than they should and give you increased storage. You can log in and try absolutely everything available, from crafting to player housing.

It's an absolutely daunting amount of stuff. Too much even. I logged on, looked around, equipped some stuff and basically have already quit. Don't think i'll be playing, even on fresh start, no transfer servers.

This is a cool clip though: https://clips.twitch.tv/TrustworthyImpossibleChickpeaDBstyle-RCRsfmX1FGjAqdsD

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 15, 2022

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
Hey whats up guys

have they added swimming yet?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

thanks for the info OP, looking forward to seeing all of you in game

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I figured someone would spin up a new one, thought it was pretty lame to close the other one just because the games biggest hater stopped posting 🧐

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Pandaal posted:

I figured someone would spin up a new one, thought it was pretty lame to close the other one just because the games biggest hater stopped posting 🧐

No, that's me. Discospawn based all of his critique on numbers and statistics, I just poo poo all over you beloved corporate mass-media product.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Pandaal posted:

Oh no, plenty of people hate the game more than him. He was just one of the few people willing to put the effort into explaining how much of a shitshow it was continuing to be.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

RagnarokZ posted:

No, that's me. Discospawn based all of his critique on numbers and statistics, I just poo poo all over you beloved corporate mass-media product.

:lol:

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

Oh no, plenty of people hate the game more than him. He was just one of the few people willing to put the effort into explaining how much of a shitshow it was continuing to be.

:lmao:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is a new twitch drop starting tomorrow for a free cosmetic set.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it looks bad

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

it looks bad

Only the kinda bad that AGS can deliver on.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I tried the new PTR, and opted for the new starting experience.

They fill your bags with the gear you might need depending on which armor/weapons you might want to try.

If you open more than a couple of those bags, you are immediately encumbered and are rooted to the spot until you figure out what to delete/drop.

They give you some nice tier 2 iron gathering tools as well. Except for some reason, the tier 1 flint tools you can make right away are somehow 4 times better.

There were lots of other really weird issues, too many to list here, that you run across during the first 120 seconds of the new player experience.

I'm not sure what they're going for here. Are they trying to prove that even a revamp is beyond them?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The new experience threw me off as well. It was both overwhelming and done a bit half rear end. They just threw as much as they could at you, but seemingly did very little research into what they were giving you and it's viability. They didn't even give you a focus weapon drop from what I could tell. I'm assuming they had a life staff option under the constitution bag, but by that time I was basically done with trying to figure out where they could be. A couple of the streamers I was checking out were done with the PTR after a day, choosing to go back to the character they were leveling instead of the one that was already at end-game. That method was probably healthier than the new experience. That' saying something when you choose to level from 1 rather than start with everything maxed out and all the resources you could ever need.

Scruffpuff posted:

They fill your bags with the gear you might need depending on which armor/weapons you might want to try.

If you open more than a couple of those bags, you are immediately encumbered and are rooted to the spot until you figure out what to delete/drop.

You did see the bags, right? They give you 3 bags, each with a capacity of 2000. They don't have any perks, but they seem to be extra large. That with the reduced weight on everything else made it so you could basically carry as much as you wanted. You just have to spend quite a bit of time figuring out exactly what you need on you, because they give you all the potions, food, ammunition, etc, but you really only new

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

ShowTime posted:

You did see the bags, right? They give you 3 bags, each with a capacity of 2000. They don't have any perks, but they seem to be extra large. That with the reduced weight on everything else made it so you could basically carry as much as you wanted. You just have to spend quite a bit of time figuring out exactly what you need on you, because they give you all the potions, food, ammunition, etc, but you really only new

I only had one bag, but I wasn't high enough level to equip it yet.

It's a bit of a clumsy introduction, but I'm not being entirely fair to it either. It's not the true new player experience, and they're assuming the players are going in with knowledge of how all the game systems work. I'm coming in cold from not playing since a month after release, so I made every possible newbie error.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Questing with my Death Knight in Zangarmarsh has been pretty fun so far. Forgot how insanely OP they were. I don't even have a good/coherent talent build right now and I still destroy everything.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Scruffpuff posted:

Are we taking bets on this accidentally making it to the live servers, followed by hours of "oh god how do we roll this back" when it immediately destroys the already destroyed economy?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cutedge posted:

Are we taking bets on this accidentally making it to the live servers, followed by hours of "oh god how do we roll this back" when it immediately destroys the already destroyed economy?

it will make it to live server.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Carmant posted:

Questing with my Death Knight in Zangarmarsh has been pretty fun so far. Forgot how insanely OP they were. I don't even have a good/coherent talent build right now and I still destroy everything.

Lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Here is a good video that goes into what is new and upcoming in New World, and talks a bit about where the game went wrong, is still going wrong https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Vzv15ygwQ

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is where the live servers are at for stability and getting bugs fixed

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Another couple exploits found, one a trade exploit and one a duping exploit. Few hundred accounts given temporary bans while they verify the data.

https://forums.newworld.com/t/downtime-september-23rd-2022/764881/3

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
So now all the new people can see what it is like when trading gets disabled.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
But I thought Discospawn was only picking negative use cases and misrepresenting the game when he was narrating all the brokenness?

There’s no way this could make it to live!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Please bring back sausage chat.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Saltpowered posted:

But I thought Discospawn was only picking negative use cases and misrepresenting the game when he was narrating all the brokenness?

Well, we're all just "haters" here.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saltpowered posted:

No, unfortunately he was pretty accurate in his commentary, and fair.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea, he was completely accurate and fair. I got a lot of poo poo for this, but you can like a game and still find its flaws (same with everything). I like New World, but I'm not gonna play it again. It's current state is just not good.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Scruffpuff posted:

They give you some nice tier 2 iron gathering tools as well. Except for some reason, the tier 1 flint tools you can make right away are somehow 4 times better.

There were lots of other really weird issues, too many to list here, that you run across during the first 120 seconds of the new player experience.

I'm not sure what they're going for here. Are they trying to prove that even a revamp is beyond them?
LOL. They just hate QOL poo poo. I cannot understand in the year of our lord, 2022, why some game developers are still punishing the players. In this case, for absolutely literally no reason whatsoever, and the only thing it is doing is hurting them (Amazon's profits).

I have to say it is the stupidest thing I've ever seen in gaming in over four decades. The question, "Why are they doing this?" can not be applied with more relevance to any other issue I've ever experienced in an MMO.

Both my roommate and myself quit the game after a month for literally no other reason then the horrifically mind-numbingly stupid-rear end "gently caress you for no loving reason" inventory and banking system. That was the only completely fun-breaking complaint I had and it was bad enough to sever and never look back.

I haven't played this game for months, and I'm still pissed off about it. I'm honestly not sure who is dumber, Amazon developers or Trump supporters. It's that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Jelly posted:

LOL. They just hate QOL poo poo. I cannot understand in the year of our lord, 2022, why some game developers are still punishing the players. In this case, for absolutely literally no reason whatsoever, and the only thing it is doing is hurting them (Amazon's profits).

I have to say it is the stupidest thing I've ever seen in gaming in over four decades. The question, "Why are they doing this?" can not be applied with more relevance to any other issue I've ever experienced in an MMO.

Both my roommate and myself quit the game after a month for literally no other reason then the horrifically mind-numbingly stupid-rear end "gently caress you for no loving reason" inventory and banking system. That was the only completely fun-breaking complaint I had and it was bad enough to sever and never look back.

I haven't played this game for months, and I'm still pissed off about it. I'm honestly not sure who is dumber, Amazon developers or Trump supporters. It's that bad.

Isn't this just the stuff they give you for testing on the PTR? I mean sure, yeah, they'll probably gently caress up and keep that in for live, but I don't understand why people are upset right now.