Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

They've formally announced their plans for their Fall Expansion, and released a pre-rendered cinematic for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9wPDAb4Wnk

Here's a screenshot from the video compared with 1 from World of Warcraft:

There's a lot to unpack, but the big takeaway is that the Expansion is paid DLC for $29.99, and it seems virtually mandatory in order to keep playing the game after it is released. I can't see this as anything other than the last gasp of a game that will die early next year.

Edit: Here's a screenshot of the announcement:

Edit 2: Well, today's been a huge data dump for the game, they just released another video, which explains that they're finally 'fixing' the Gear Score & Expertise systems that virtually kill the game in January of last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqtA69R3fQ4

Edit 3: In an appropriate bit of irony for this game, they launched a new 2-week event in the game today, but it appears to be completely broken and cannot be started or completed on any servers due to a bug that was reported months ago on their PTR feedback forum.

Edit 4: Heh, right now there's a developer acting as a GM and manually resetting the seasonal event server-by-server once a player reports it's broken at a specific location. Obviously, this is not sustainable, and apparently sometimes after the manual reset the event(s) still don't spawn or are impossible to complete. Here's the Discord forum thread if you want to follow along for yourself.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Flail sounds sweet and expertise removal also sounds sweet. I love arcane/melee hybrids in games and they are very rare.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Well that kills the game for sure. They might have had shot just taking the hit and releasing it for free, in an attempt to bring in its lost playerbase, but by charging they straight up kill it. Returning players aren't gonna pay $30 for a game they've lost all faith in. Especially for that small of an expansion.

They should have just charged $200 for it, because at this point, the same player that would have paid $30 would have paid $200.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

When I first read all the info about the Expansion, I assumed that all players would be able to reach the new Character Level, Gear Score, and Trade Skill caps, but now I'm starting to think that all of those things will be behind the paywall as well.

ShowTime posted:

Well that kills the game for sure. They might have had shot just taking the hit and releasing it for free, in an attempt to bring in its lost playerbase, but by charging they straight up kill it. Returning players aren't gonna pay $30 for a game they've lost all faith in. Especially for that small of an expansion.

They should have just charged $200 for it, because at this point, the same player that would have paid $30 would have paid $200.

Yeah, AGS could probably make a lot more money if they switched their business model to the same as Games Workshop's or unethical Pharmaceutical companies', where they can charge outrageous prices simply because they people who buy their product will ultimately spend whatever it takes to get their fix.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I do absolutely love flails, the dumbest of all weapons, as well as gish builds, but holy poo poo that is not an "expansion" you charge the price of the basegame for. I wonder if there'll be a reasonable bargain bin price before the servers are finally shuttered.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Pandaal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Rc0h_F3rg

Mounts
New Weapon
Gear Overhaul
+5 Levels
Mutations condensed from 10 levels to 3
New rarity tier for items
$30, October 2023

So what are the odds that at least one of them is not working on launch day? 2:1?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Maigius posted:

So what are the odds that at least one of them is not working on launch day? 2:1?
Well, on Day 1 nobody will meet the minimum requirements to enter any Mutated Expeditions, so that will be kind of a Schrodinger's Bug situation.

They haven't launched a Public Test Realm server for the update yet, but I can't help but anticipate players identifying fundamental design flaws within the first 30 minutes of the test servers going online. I wouldn't even be surprised if players aren't able to test the new content on the PTR unless they've already purchased/preordered the $30 Expansion.

This game seems like it needs 3x the amount of ptr testing as any other MMO. $30 for a small expansion is pretty standard for MMOs though. GW2 just did it and didn’t deliver much more content than this one will.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

My issue with the $30 price tag is that it seems like a bad business move if AGS is actually trying to turn the game's fortunes around. 1 of the biggest strengths the game had was that it managed to convince millions of people to purchase the base game and become somewhat familiar with it, which is a huge resource to leverage if you can manage to turn the game into something that's able to retain players once they re-install the game (something which New World still hasn't been able to do).

By releasing a paid expansion that is essentially mandatory for character progression, it seems like they are throwing away that advantage in the hopes that the small remaining player base is able to support the game financially without ever seeing significant growth in the future. Given that the release of $2.50 Transmog Tokens in the game couldn't even get New World into the Steam Top 100 Games By Revenue list last week, I don't think that financial model is sustainable. However small the New World dev team is at this point, it probably requires at least as much revenue as Guild Wars 2 or Fallout 76 or other rival MMOs that actually do manage to appear on that list somewhat consistently.

On the other hand, if AGS has a sunsetting plan in place for 2024 and has decided that they would rather shift hard into development of their LotR MMO they announced at the start of this game, charging players for anything and everything is just a way of cashing out before you walk away from the table.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Discospawn posted:

once they re-install the game

Have you even installed it yet?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Blacula posted:

Have you even installed it yet?
I downloaded it and tried it during their last Free Weekend back in December, but I almost immediately bounced off it the same way I have for all "Traditional MMO's" I've interacted with. The initial quest of, "Kill 5 bandits on this island," with its infinitely respawning enemies shuffling around waiting for you to dispatch them via generic combat that felt laggier than the latency would cause, it just reminded me that it's not a genre that I'm ever going to develop an appreciation for. My shaky understanding of where all the general gameplay loops, designs, & mechanics would eventually lead probably didn't help, since the game couldn't trigger the appearance of breadth and/or depth that it's supposed to give to new players, and I wasn't getting any dopamine hits from seeing numbers go up or recipes unlock.

I admit that I think some of the tropes associated with "Traditional MMOs" are just straight-up bad and no longer have a place in the modern video game space, but it probably comes down more to personal preference. I'm sure a lot of people would find a game like Spin Rhythm XD to be indecipherable and grating, but that's the most recent video game rabbithole I've gone down and I regret nothing.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Today's new Dev Update shares much of the same information they released last week, but the most interesting part of the video is in the first 15 seconds when they reveal that the New World team has been relocated from Irvine, CA to Seattle (location of Amazon's corporate HQ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0fDWDP49Gg

Edit: Nevermind, their producer just clarified on Reddit that they were in Seattle as part of a group conference/gathering, not a permanent relocation.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 5, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Why is it called Angry Earth on the fantasy world of Aeterum? Do they call their soil after another planet?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I thought it was just an island they found and it's set on Earth?

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Cutedge posted:

I thought it was just an island they found and it's set on Earth?

Yep

The artifact system looks like it will be really fun to build around. There’s an axe that makes 100% of your damage void and scale with int, for example.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Yeah I saw that there’s a life staff that makes things go boom and I want it

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

The Artifact system appears to be an attempt to 'borrow' from Destiny 2's concept of 'Exotic' weapons/armor pieces. That's fine on its own, it's a good framework to allow for new builds & playstyles without reworking entire systems.

However, Destiny has notoriously struggled with properly balancing its Exotic items, and 1 of the ways that game promotes its paid content is by locking new Exotics behind Expansions & Seasonal Content. It's going to be interesting to see how well AGS manages to walk the fine line of making most Artifacts viable items for players, without accidentally introducing a handful of Artifacts that clearly become BiS for all PvP or PvP content. We'll probably have to wait another 3 months to find out if they start adding new, exclusive Artifacts as rewards to their Premium Season Passes.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

They have announced that the Public Test Server for the big Expansion, still scheduled for October 3rd, will open up tomorrow and close after exactly 1 week.

It's a bold move.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

PTR went live at 8:00 AM PT, this tweet came out at 9:18:

https://twitter.com/NWGameStatus/status/1701630155423457682
And as of 10:10 all PTR servers are offline.

Edit: This is New World now:

https://clips.twitch.tv/ExcitedSteamyVanillaPupper-2P3CChCH7-l8q8bi

https://clips.twitch.tv/InexpensiveGorgeousKiwiFreakinStinkin-plwWyOyLoFp2sIDG

https://clips.twitch.tv/EphemeralVainTurnipChefFrank-9rqnrl3WOHV7oCQ4

Edit 2: Checking back in after 12 hours, I guess AGS added some regional lockouts to prevent new people from entering a territory if it already had too many people in it, which takes the form of an invisible wall if you're already in the game, or a failure to log in if you're trying to load into that area when it's already full. However, the invisible wall hasn't gone down for several hours now, suggesting that the server isn't keeping track of how many people leave the zone to free up space for more people, or some other kind of throttling issue. This renders a lot of the PTR testing impossible, since the majority of the new content takes place inside that 1 territory that is locked.

While this is partially a problem caused by the PTR asking all players to rush to the same area and engage with the same content simultaneously, it's also not that different from what the Expansion will be like on Day 1 of release, when every existing, endgame player who bought the Expansion will rush to the 1 new/reworked territory to complete the 1 new Main Story Quest.

I actually re-joined the official New World Discord Server today so I could monitor the PTR bugs, and I was shocked to find that even after eliminating the official forums, they still have some of the same outsourced, 3rd-party customer support personnel providing useless comments to the Discord's equivalent of the bug report thread.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 13, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011
We should probably close this thread to save Discospawn from themselves.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Orv posted:

no

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Orv posted:

No, it is too late.

The gears are in motion, Discospawn must finish their task.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Loaded up the PTR to try out the Flail, and this is obviously an extremely subjective take, but massive disappointment.

I always liked the more grounded parts of New World. Sure nothing is realistic, but the musket feels great to shoot. I love stabbing one thing with a fear, then switching my grip and throwing the spear in another thing's face. Same thing with the hatchet. Aside from the stupid skills, the bow is pretty cool too. Lower level armor looks excellent. We've talked endlessly how great and atmosphere-enhancing the sounds of gathering are. Unfortunately, I seem to be in the minority, as the game quickly devolved into people running around in Destiny armor wielding anime weapons.

So then we come to the flail. Which is basically the mace-flail of Brigitte from Overwatch. An extendo-mace. No flail here. Sure, the flail is mostly just a fantasy trope to begin with, and therefor at least anime-weapon-adjacent, but come on. Just give me a flail instead. I know exactly why they did it too, they couldn't figure out how to animate it at rest.

Aside from that, it seemed ok as a weapon. I'm sure if someone wants to play Brigitte from Overwatch in an even worse game than Overwatch, it's a great addition.

I couldn’t believe how stupid all of the greatswords look. I don’t have anything against stuff being magical like the flail, it has that “found this old relic in the island ruins” vibe, but totally agree on it being a weird mace flail.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Poo World

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Hra Mormo posted:

the musket feels great to shoot.
Did you try using the musket on the PTR? They changed it from a hitscan to a projectile weapon, but they also seemed to introduce a noticeable amount of delay between when you press the fire button and when the projectile actually comes out of the game. Most musket players have not been fans of the change.

Ort posted:

I couldn’t believe how stupid all of the greatswords look. totally agree on it being a weird mace flail.
Aside from the aesthetic choices of the past 2 weapons and how they don't really match the rest of the game, it's also weird how they've started adding special lighting effects to them. The greatsword has a kind of neon glow depending on which of the 2 stances you're in while wielding it, and now the flail has these bright particle effects that emit from it every time you use it, which no other weapon/ability in the game has.

For those who want to see what the flail looks like in action, here's the official clip that AGS released of it when they announced it:

https://v.redd.it/m02d7rlcp9lb1/DASH_720.mp4?source=fallback

Discospawn posted:

Did you try using the musket on the PTR? They changed it from a hitscan to a projectile weapon, but they also seemed to introduce a noticeable amount of delay between when you press the fire button and when the projectile actually comes out of the game. Most musket players have not been fans of the change.

Aside from the aesthetic choices of the past 2 weapons and how they don't really match the rest of the game, it's also weird how they've started adding special lighting effects to them. The greatsword has a kind of neon glow depending on which of the 2 stances you're in while wielding it, and now the flail has these bright particle effects that emit from it every time you use it, which no other weapon/ability in the game has.

For those who want to see what the flail looks like in action, here's the official clip that AGS released of it when they announced it:

https://v.redd.it/m02d7rlcp9lb1/DASH_720.mp4?source=fallback

It always seemed like ice gauntlet had that delay too. It’s like the animation is off, it’s always bothered me.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

That clip is just wild to me. Not even just the flail but I mean, remember when this game was you running into a wooden colonial era town and just fighting with swords and bows and rifles against other people so that you could see the icon for starfleet dental on the map? Now you are jumping 30 feet in the air to do a finishing blow with a space flail on a gorilla. I've never seen a game with such a complete lack of identity.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

After the past several days of PTR testing, the mood seems to be shifting around New World's Expansion among its more dedicated players. Despite the past couple weeks of such threads being heavily downvoted, the top post on the game's subreddit now is one suggesting that the Expansion doesn't seem to provide a strong value for $30:

On a possibly related note, AGS still haven't put the Expansion up for pre-order despite it only being 17 days away from its release date. This seems odd, and I can't help but think it's because AGS isn't confident they can meet the expectations they've set in the Expansion's marketing material, whether it's concern over missing the release date or something more fundamental like not knowing if the Live servers can actually handle every player trying to complete the same, limited amount of content in a small geographic area of the map. I don't know how much more legal/financial pressure it puts on them once they officially charge for an update, but you would have assumed those are issues they could have figured out before announcing the price tag at the end of August.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 16, 2023

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

cowards, always falling back to the likely-didn't-even-exist fantasy one handed mace flail (which they didn't even do right) and not the superior farming-implement-with-spikes-attached-to-it real flail

this thing is dope, it's my favorite medieval weapon and the only place I've ever seen it is Battle Brothers lol

e: there's room for both obv. but not for the stupid extendo mace, I hate that thing

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 16, 2023

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

They released a new "Dev Q&A" video today about the game's Expansion. It's not worth watching all 20 minutes of it, but there is a short portion of it where the game's director explains their mentality towards the $30 Expansion (video starts at the relevant question & answer):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymjgzm9XQTc&t=825s

"I don't look at it as Pay-to-Win, I look at it more as a Pay-to-Continue."

Meanwhile, the Public Test Server was closed this morning after its 6-day existence, so there's nothing left to do but wait and see what happens on October 3rd. One thing that the devs clarified in the video is that there will be no pre-orders for the Expansion, it will only become available for sale on release day, which is probably a good thing for consumers but still a weird divergence from how most games approach such content.

Babe Magnet posted:

cowards, always falling back to the likely-didn't-even-exist fantasy one handed mace flail (which they didn't even do right) and not the superior farming-implement-with-spikes-attached-to-it real flail
It's not the same as the images you linked, but I always loved the version of the flail that William Wallace uses for his first kill in Braveheart, because it's like an example of convergent evolution between the flail and nunchucks.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 18, 2023

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah it was just like a short version of the same thing, for slappin' wheat

Am I the only one that tacks on 10-14 days to every major release date this game has so you can know when to actually expect to play it? In my head this expansion releases mid-October.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

new world is back baby. cannot wait to hoot and holler in aeternum.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Ort posted:

Am I the only one that tacks on 10-14 days to every major release date this game has so you can know when to actually expect to play it? In my head this expansion releases mid-October.

i dont play this but this is just something I do with every expac or new mmo release now where i think id just be paying to beta test their product anyways.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I guess that paid patch comes out today? I see Asmongold streaming New World and I have to wonder how much Amazon is paying him. When they were big into Lost Ark, some of them were being paid 6 figures to stream. I remember Shroud talking about dropping $25k into it and it not being an issue because of how much he was making off it.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

ShowTime posted:

I guess that paid patch comes out today? I see Asmongold streaming New World and I have to wonder how much Amazon is paying him. When they were big into Lost Ark, some of them were being paid 6 figures to stream. I remember Shroud talking about dropping $25k into it and it not being an issue because of how much he was making off it.
The Expansion will become available for purchase & download tomorrow, 9AM Pacific (~ 6PM for Europe).

The only marketing AGS seems to be doing for the Expansion so far is a week-long streamer-driven event. Asmongold and his alt account weren't listed, so it's unclear how much sponsorship AGS is actually doing for this event. I imagine they don't have to pay much/anything for a lot of the smaller streamers on the list, but Shroud is also 1 of the streamers despite him not having played the game in a year or more, so that's almost certainly a significant financial investment. Your post made me check Asmon's Twitch stream, and I happened to tune in right at the moment where he stated that the DLC is $30; the channel's chat did not react favorably to that.

Given the game's history, it seems pretty crazy that they would spend their advertising budget in a way that draws attention to the launch day of the Expansion. There will almost certainly be serious issues ranging from server management issues to game-breaking bugs, and yet the developers are advertising that tomorrow is the day that you can log in to use mounts to race your favorite streamer. Or maybe it's a smart move to try to convince people the buy the Expansion tomorrow as soon as it becomes available, rather than waiting to see what the quality of the patch actually is. At the very least, it should allow for the creation of some great Twitch clips to share.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

It's AGS' 3rd attempt at a major New World release, let's see if they've learned from their mistakes with the game's initial launch or the Brimstone Sands update:

It's 2 hours before peak EU gaming hours on a Tuesday and every server is full and all but 2 are locked. Let's check back in a few hours and see if/how the devs have responded.

Edit: There's approximately 150,000 people watching the game on Twitch right now, but it's hard to imagine many of those viewers will convert into players if they can't actually log in to the game right now.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Looks like they are spinning up new servers already