Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Cutedge posted:

Looks like they are spinning up new servers already

Yeah, the new server Hercules doesn't seem to have helped much:

For some reason, you still have to get through the login queue and load into your world before you can start the game's server transfer process. There's also the game's history with new servers quickly dying and not being merged in a timely manner, so anybody with New World experience is probably very wary of leaving their current server no matter the queue times. The fact that the new server has a login queue almost as large as its current in-game population suggests that those are mostly brand new characters on the server, as there is still a limit on how many players can be present in the starting beach area before new players can load in (which is why the queue exists despite the server only being at 60% capacity).

You can also see that the problem has already begun spreading to the US-East region, with 3 of their 4 servers being locked already, roughly 6 hours before that region's primetime.

There are also a lot of reports from players that it's impossible to fast travel/teleport in the game at the moment, but it's unclear if that's due to server strain or a bug with the new build. Surprisingly, I haven't seen any other reports of game-breaking bugs yet, but it's unclear if that's just because the majority of players are still downloading the update and/or waiting in a login queue.

Edit: Heh, they just increased the server population cap from 2,500 to 2,750 for every server.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Discospawn posted:

The fact that the new server has a login queue almost as large as its current in-game population suggests that those are mostly brand new characters on the server, as there is still a limit on how many players can be present in the starting beach area before new players can load in (which is why the queue exists despite the server only being at 60% capacity).

The only server new players can roll a character even for EU. So if you already had friends playing amd you bought the game either you wait till the other servers are not locked, they have to pay for a transfer, or you eventually have to pay for a transfer.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

DaitoX posted:

The only server new players can roll a character even for EU. So if you already had friends playing amd you bought the game either you wait till the other servers are not locked, they have to pay for a transfer, or you eventually have to pay for a transfer.

There's no "new" players that have just bought into New World, it's purely old players, this isn't Wow during it's golden age of 10+ million people, this is oversaturated 2023, New World has pretty much capture whatever market it could, this is all old returning players, seeing the new content.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

RagnarokZ posted:

There's no "new" players that have just bought into New World, it's purely old players, this isn't Wow during it's golden age of 10+ million people, this is oversaturated 2023, New World has pretty much capture whatever market it could, this is all old returning players, seeing the new content.
Starting with yesterday's release, they put the base version of the game on sale for 60% off on Steam, its first discount in over 3 months, so some of the increase in players this week probably is coming from a small group of people who were waiting for the game to go on sale before trying it. If you're thinking that it would have made more sense to put the base game on sale before the Expansion's release, so as to not exacerbate the server queue issues, I would agree with you.

A cynical person might suggest that they waited to discount the base version of the game so they could "convince" people to buy the new bundle, which includes the base game & the expansion for $46.

Edit: For content, on top of the game's server queues to log in, a handful of the new quests for the Expansion involve items/resources that have server-based cooldowns before respawning, leading to only 1 character being able to complete the quest every 90 seconds. So imagine that you've just waited in a line of thousands of people to load into the world and this is what you see:

https://clips.twitch.tv/FrozenDepressedGerbilBlargNaut-K9qZ3Ak-QQTPkFwU

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 4, 2023

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
That quest is to pick up poop too lol. At least that’s what I thought I read.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Ort posted:

That quest is to pick up poop too lol. At least that’s what I thought I read.
Heh, you're right! "Beast Droppings," is what it says in the Twitch clip. Apparently there are several such quests, which is crazy to think about in a modern MMO. It gives the impression that from the early requirements & design stages to the final test & verification, the dev team still doesn't really understand the nature of the game/genre.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
For the most part, the community seems pretty happy with this patch launch. Reading reports of less lag, not many issues other than some short queues and that one bugged quest. I’m surprised. It definitely has me tempted to play again because I remember how fun launch was when the world was packed with people. Plus artifacts are cool and allow messing around with new types of builds.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Discospawn posted:

Edit: For content, on top of the game's server queues to log in, a handful of the new quests for the Expansion involve items/resources that have server-based cooldowns before respawning, leading to only 1 character being able to complete the quest every 90 seconds. So imagine that you've just waited in a line of thousands of people to load into the world and this is what you see:

https://clips.twitch.tv/FrozenDepressedGerbilBlargNaut-K9qZ3Ak-QQTPkFwU

Dear god, this was a solved problem 20+ years ago. Did they hire people whose last design experience was the original everquest?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Mercury_Storm posted:

Dear god, this was a solved problem 20+ years ago. Did they hire people whose last design experience was the original everquest?

They didn't hire people with experience at all.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Super excited to camp lower Guk again

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

So far, the top posts on the game's subreddit this week are from veteran players defending the game's server issues:

However, once you get down into the comment sections of those types of posts, all the highest-rated comments are from people pointing out how ridiculous these ideas are and/or expressing disappointment with this week's release.

I think this demonstrates that even after 2 years of free updates and with the release of this paid 'Expansion', there's still a fundamental disconnect in the expectations between the small % of players who stuck with the game since launch and the 98+% of players who moved on. Not only is there a disconnect, but there's also some clear resentment and aggression coming from veteran players when they talk about new or returning players, and you get the sense that the game's community is actively rooting for it to remain the same size that it was this Summer (when it was hitting new record lows each week).

Mercury_Storm posted:

It gets funnier, because now people have learned that for some of these quests with world spawns, you are able to place a player camp on top of the spawn location, preventing anybody in the server from picking up or interacting with the quest item.:

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 5, 2023

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Discospawn posted:

It gets funnier, because now people have learned that for some of these quests with world spawns, you are able to place a player camp on top of the spawn location, preventing anybody in the server from picking up or interacting with the quest item.:

There was a quest like this that was gated by the spawn in one of the WoW expansions, when the Worgen came out, where you had to rescue a kitten in their newbie area. I was on Moonguard which was, at least at the time, one of the most populated servers. Made it to this quest and instead of chaos and griefing like you might expect I saw god knows how many newbie Worgen formed up in an orderly line so everyone could get their kitten.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Ort posted:

For the most part, the community seems pretty happy with this patch launch. Reading reports of less lag, not many issues other than some short queues and that one bugged quest. I’m surprised. It definitely has me tempted to play again because I remember how fun launch was when the world was packed with people. Plus artifacts are cool and allow messing around with new types of builds.

If you do feel free to share your thoughts. I'd also be interested in knowing how mandatory the premium season pass feels or if it gives any significant advantage over people not buying the season passes.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

DaitoX posted:

If you do feel free to share your thoughts. I'd also be interested in knowing how mandatory the premium season pass feels or if it gives any significant advantage over people not buying the season passes.
Oh, the premium season pass has been broken for a lot of players since the update, and they actually disabled the purchase button for buying levels or the Headstart Premium Season Pass it in their storefront:

https://twitter.com/NWGameStatus/status/1709505713255403824
I think you can still buy the base version of the Premium Season Pass, but it's still not working properly for a lot of people (like being unable to progress past a certain level or being unable to claim rewards from tracks you've reached).

They've been trying to fix the issue by rebooting servers and reverting player progress:

https://twitter.com/NWGameStatus/status/1709681438776508679
So to answer your question, no, it's not providing a significant advantage at the moment.

Edit: They also have had 2 unexpected server crashes today, and players on both servers reported that most players seem to have lost their Season Pass progress afterwards.

Edit 2: If you want to see what all the rewards from the Free and Premium versions of the Season Pass are, here's their official article listing everything. The general consensus seems to be that it's not a particularly good value unless you really like the cosmetic skins in the premium track, since they won't be obtainable any other way and it's a good value compared to buying skins from the microtransaction shop.

Edit 3: And here's my New World clip of the day:

https://clips.twitch.tv/SmilingCrispyTomatoFloof-S9ghHoHMWoz-e7w5

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 6, 2023

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
That tracks hah. What a mess.

I guess other than the mess that it is at least good it seems to be mostly about cosmetics.
I do see some exp boosters and stuff though in the list, so it does have some pay to progress faster mechanics.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

There was a quest like this that was gated by the spawn in one of the WoW expansions, when the Worgen came out, where you had to rescue a kitten in their newbie area. I was on Moonguard which was, at least at the time, one of the most populated servers. Made it to this quest and instead of chaos and griefing like you might expect I saw god knows how many newbie Worgen formed up in an orderly line so everyone could get their kitten.

Lots of japanese on the server? Thats like 101 if so.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Hotfix #1 is coming out tonight in a few minutes, with 2 hours of downtime scheduled during US primetime hours:

It turns out I hadn't realized how many players were having problems where they had no more quest chains to follow after the update; either for the Main Story Quest, the Brimstone Sands quests, or the new Expansion's quests. I assumed these were rare problems, but after finding the appropriate thread in the game's official Discord channel, it turns out these were impacting a very large number of people, many of whom were convinced to give the game another chance based on the appeal of all the new, revamped quests that had been added since the last time they played the game.

You can also see that their biggest priority was on getting the Season Pass fixed, or at least re-enabling the ability to purchase it and hoping that this patch will fix it. At the same time, they acknowledge that the server resets from the maintenance will likely cause players to lose Seasonal progress, so that's kind of wild to see.

I'm sure that releasing this patch after normal work hours on a Friday won't lead to any negative consequences if everything doesn't go according to plan.

Edit: After the maintenance has finished, it seems that the overwhelming of majority having issues with their Season Pass or quest chains did not see any improvement after the patch. Many players are also reporting new problems they didn't have before, like being unable to interact with the Season Pass UI to earn Seasonal XP or claim Season Pass rewards.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 7, 2023

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

This is a funny tweet:

We knew the patch would take away your progress, don't worry about it!

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
New patch incoming in 20mins

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
I was really optimistic about being able to get into a new expansion and have some fun pvping since I thought everyone would be on the same page gear wise.

This is not the case.

I have 695 gs running 150 con and getting 2 hit by 600gs fire staves that have bis perks.

Influence wars are great chaotic fun but if you didn't play a lot of the last year it'll just be misery if you're a pvp orientated player like myself. Just forget about it if you're entirely new

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Simon Numbers posted:

Influence wars are great chaotic fun
The new Territory Influence mechanic is designed to gather all Open World PvP players into 1 territory based on its hourly schedule, but if too many players try to enter the region at once then it will start blocking players from entering the zone, or even teleport players out of the region in the middle of the fighting. This can affect all players, even if they're not PvP flagged, and doesn't seem to have been taken into consideration as they've increased the server caps from 2,500 to 3,000 over the last week in an attempt to deal with the queues on overpopulated servers. It's a re-introduction of a similar problem that used to exist when Wars were not instanced, and blocked off territories whenever a War was happening inside a zone.

I'm curious if the Territory Influence change will have much of a long-term impact, or if the chaotic fun it's providing now is primarily the result of the huge influx of new/returning players. A lot of people claim that the best Open World PvP the game has ever had was during its initial few weeks after launch when most players were low-level, poorly equipped, and not yet motivated to play 'optimally'. I think the game is just re-creating this experience temporarily because of the Expansion's increase in character & gear levels, and that the Territory Influence rework may turn out to not have much long-term benefit after the honeymoon period ends.

Of course, the same goes for most aspects of the game, because the endgame experience after the Expansion still boils down to the same activities that the game has had for years, with just 1 new Expedition added to the PvE rotation & no significant changes to the instanced PvP modes of Wars, Outpost Rush, or Arenas. But at least for now, the Expansion has been much more successful than I anticipated, more than tripling the game's player counts and launching both the base game and the paid DLC into Steam's Top 10 Weekly Sales list. I assume these gains are extremely front-loaded and will drop off quickly over the following weeks, but we'll have to wait and see if the game surprises me again and manages to finally develop some degree of longevity with this release.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
is the thread title still accurate

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Solus posted:

wondering that too

is it worth $15 of fun

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Solus posted:

Count Thrashula posted:

wondering that too

is it worth $15 of fun
If you want an old-school, single-player, open-world game with optional co-op, you would be better off waiting on buying/playing the base game until the January update comes and finishes reworking the Main Story Quest you can follow to go from level 1 to 60 while touring the entire landmass. That questline currently stops at level 50. Players who approach the game with no expectation of it being a long-term investment, but instead see it as a standalone experience they can 'complete' and walk away from, tend to come away with a much better impression of the game.

Do not buy just the base version of the game for its MMO experience, as you need to also buy the new expansion now if you really want to engage in that part of the game. I don't think the Expansion provides enough changes to the core game to change the recommendation from "pass" to "play" for anybody who already decided the game wasn't for them. That means that even with the current Steam sale on the bundle of the base game plus the Expansion, the end result is the game becoming $6 more expensive than it was 2 weeks ago for largely the same experience.

At the very least, I would encourage players to wait until the next time the game goes on sale (likely during the Steam Autumn Sale in 1 month) before making a purchase decision. Right now the game is still dealing with a host of server issues and serious bugs that the developers are trying to resolve, and it'll be much easier to get a sense of how successful the Expansion has been after we get a couple weeks removed from the current honeymoon period.

Edit: Case in point, 1 of the serious issues affecting players at the moment is missing or broken questlines for the earlier parts of the game, which is something that could significantly impact your experience with the game right now:

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 10, 2023

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
So I actually reinstalled and played a bit, but did not purchase the expansion. For new characters until 60 it seems like the only thing you would miss out on is the mount at level 25 if you do not buy the expansion and then the last couple of levels and endgame obviously.

Anyway the starter beach was booming, lots of low level players. Who knows though how many are new or how many are simply playing that for a bit while their owns server has a super long queue.

So actually playing the starting experience seems better. Like cut scenes, voice overs, pacing all seems better. Weapons seem to level faster, character level seemed to go way faster. It felt like leveling gathering went a bit faster but I might be mistaken on that one since it has been a while. Coupled with the earlier quality of life updates (mainly storage and fast travel related) the game now seems way improved from launch (to be fair, coming from a place where they continually had to restrict trading it is very easy to improve on) and it generally feels okay. I didn't run into any major issues (not saying they aren't there).

I stopped at level 15 though, not because of any issue, just no will to play further. I don't feel like finding a guild or going trough the hassle of finding dungeon groups. Dungeons were fun last I played though, if there was a legit dungeon finder I might have kept playing more this time around.

So that was all pretty positive I guess. The main negative point would be that they apparently do not have a QA department, or if they do they just ignore everything QA says to be able to ship updates. I think Discospawn paints a pretty good picture of that.

There is another major negative point if you have people you know playing, but one which will fix its self once players lose interest again: If you start playing now you are restricted in which servers you can pick. Most are simply locked. So odds are that you can not play with them. You will have to pay for a transfer once their server becomes unlocked, or they will have to pay for transfers to the unlocked server you start on. Or you can simply wait until their server is unlocked before you begin playing, but who knows when they unlock again.

I obviously didn't play my level 60 character, so I did not try current end game. But it still seems like you need to be part of the in-groups or be in a decent guild if you want to do wars / invasions / get fast groups. All of this was and probably is still very guild / alliance focused. Not really my thing these days, I much prefer a more casual drop in/out style gameplay these days.

I do think now is probably one of the best times to level as there does seem to be a decent influx of leveling players, meaning it is probably easier to find leveling dungeon groups now than it will be when the expansion hype dies down again. But on the other hand it seems the sale just ended and it seems weird that the base game is still the same price as launch. So maybe wait for a sale (fall sale / christmas sale are surely coming right).

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Bought the expansion. This game is still unplayable garbage imo. Between launch and now it really feels like they've only done 2 major changes:

1. They made the world actually interesting to be in. There's a lot more going on now rather than endless fields and forests.
2. Less buggy and skills actually do what they say on the tooltip.

And honestly there's where it ends. The game still suffers from overall major core gameplay and identity issues.

1. The core gameplay is a mess. It's clearly a game built on the foundations of a PvP sandbox, but has gotten so lost along the way that it has no idea what it is or wants to be.
2. Main gameplay loop revolves around instanced PvP combats and running around opening elite chests triggering their cooldown on as many characters as you can.
3. Itemization is a mess, it's both shallow and unrewarding because skill has far little impact than just having good gear. Gear Score is a major part in toxicity and wildly plays almost no role in how well you are geared. Then there's just all the other material poo poo you have to save.
4. They refuse to play into the strengths of an MMORPG. For example their combat consistently wants to wrestle with pings, while their servers have worse netcode than WoW did in 2007. Not being able to see projectiles in a game about dodging projectiles should be a war crime.
5. Towns and PVE are still vapid uninspired garbage.
6. It still doesn't feel like there is "builds" just skill choice and weapon choice.
7. Heavy armor is still utterly useless in PvP.
8. Even though the 1v1 to 3v3 PvP can at times be okay, eveything else (which the game is built on) turns into a laughable spamfest with extremely low weapon viability.
9. Mounts are trash and poorly designed and honestly it's a little hilarious they think this is okay.
10. You still can't swim.
11. They disabled their main story quest like 2 times into the release of their expansion resulting in players not be able to unlock poo poo which most guilds deem required.
12. Everything is just a +1 grind. Literally everything. There's nothing special or unique in any of it.
13. Nothing is explained. I hate that you hover over attributes and it just says "this weapon scales with this attribute" (which is just so vague) but from what I understand that's not even exactly the case with different damage types. It never tells you that the items you are wearing is what drops. You just sort of have to one day wonder why all you're getting is the same poo poo over and over again and then ask about it.
14. Life Staff is STILL the worst poo poo ever made by anyone ever. It needs to go into a museum its that bad.

The devs being proud that their loving "Monkeys being able to leap and throw now" or some equally dumbass poo poo makes me internally scream. I can't stress enough that if you decide to play New World, you won't be doing interesting poo poo to gear up. You will be running around the map waiting for it to be your lucky day and it will take weeks and weeks of doing this poo poo to be/stay viable.

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 11, 2023

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

hobocrunch posted:

11. They disabled their main story quest like 2 times into the release of their expansion resulting in players not be able to unlock poo poo which most guilds deem required.
They posted a tweet yesterday announcing another late-night hotfix for some of these issues, then a couple hours later pushed the hotfix to tonight instead:

It almost feels like a desperate attempt to convince players not to uninstall, like a borrower begging a loan shark, "Just 1 more day! Just give me 1 more day!"

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Anyone have an issue where the graphics are set to low/medium regardless of settings? I can't find a lot of details about this particular problem. Textures are low resolution everywhere.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Yeah it’s kind of a known issue. The only reset I’ve seen around that works is to set the graphics preset to “low” and then turn everything back up manually.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Pandaal posted:

Yeah it’s kind of a known issue. The only reset I’ve seen around that works is to set the graphics preset to “low” and then turn everything back up manually.

This didn't work for me, I'm stuck in between low and medium even with DRS off. On top of not being to continue plot quests, I can't swim STILL and bugs from launch still being around its really putting a damper on playing. My older PC had this looking really good, now it feels like I'm playing Runescape 3. Graphically speaking.

Edit: Context

Kortel fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 13, 2023

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Last night's hotfix was supposed to fix more of those broken Main Story Quests, but judging from player feedback it didn't seem to work for anybody.

On the other hand, the patch did introduce a change where enemies only render at much shorter distances than they used to, making the game look & feel a lot worse as players seem to be running around empty landscapes until they get 30 meters from an enemy and it phases into existence:

https://v.redd.it/wq073dyllutb1/DASH_1080.mp4?source=fallback
The render distance issue starts after the 1st clip of the mount animation not displaying correctly (another issue that an earlier patch was supposed to correct). I tried to find a Twitch clip demonstrating the problem, but ever since the sponsored streamer event ended on Tuesday, there's been a lot less people streaming/watching New World and making clips of it.

There was no patch note related to this for last night's update, and the devs haven't acknowledged the problem, so it's unclear whether this was something they implemented on purpose in an attempt to reduce the strain on their servers, or if this is just another weird bug like we've seen throughout the game's history. It's weird if this was intentional, because they already increased the server cap from 2,500 to 3,000 last week and the game has already seen its population growth come to a halt, but it's also bizarre if this happened somehow when they weren't trying to change anything related to draw distance, so who knows.

lol, lmao

A lot of people have experienced performance degradation and graphics issues this year after the devs made some unspecific back-end changes, and then AGS increased the Minimum Required PC Specs on Steam coinciding with the game's expansion.

The only other thing you might try is manually deleting all the New World files on your PC (including these locations %appdata%/AGS/New World and %localappdata%/Temp/AGS/New World/shaders) and re-installing the game. It's a longshot, but some players said this helped them because the game was trying to use old files that, for some reason, weren't being deleted by Steam with an uninstall and also weren't being properly updated with a re-install or when verifying the game's files.

For the most part though, players who reported these problems never seemed to find a solution that worked for them, and that might explain why the game experience record-low populations this summer, when even diehard players felt compelled to switch to another game when they suddenly found themselves unable to run New World at an acceptable framerate and/or graphics quality.

Edit: After 24 hours, the devs acknowledged the draw-distance change was not intentional:

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 13, 2023

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
App data trick manage to improve the graphics! To about medium quality.
Ah well.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

After terrible server queues and poor server management for the 1st week and a half after the Expansion's release, the developers have finally decided to take a tentative step towards addressing the issues:

It's such a slow response to a serious problem, and just a very tentative step in the right direction with a 3-hour experiment in the game's 2nd-biggest region. It's a good example of how New World's dev team are almost entire reactive instead of proactive, and how sluggish they are to act on user feedback, regardless of how clearly the feedback is about something that is hurting the game's potential sales/growth/sustainability.

As of time of posting, the experiment is just starting, so we'll have to wait to see whether this even works as intended or if it somehow blows up servers or deletes characters.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 14, 2023

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I was actually pretty psyched to see this. I was on the streamer server since that was the only full-ish server before the expo brought all the new folks, then I had to wait in a 3000+ queue just to log in and change my world. I saw the “change world” dialog in the world selection on the main menu but it was greyed out, so I assumed they were ramping up to something like this.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I haven't seen anybody mention taking advantage of last night's server transfer test, so I guess we'll never know if it was actually working or not. I think it was such a narrow window of time, and so late after the initial population surge, that players either didn't know about it or ignored it.

The thing that players have been talking about today is large numbers of people experiencing game-breaking issues, with some players experiencing frequent freezes and crashes, while others are unable to even log in to the game. Technical issues with the game dominate the top posts of the game's subreddit:

These issues certainly won't help the game achieve better player retention numbers compared to last year's dramatic decline that started just 2 weeks after the update was released.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I tried this game few days ago and I'm having fun. I must be doing something wrong.
Really like factions and crafting / gathering aspect of it. Would use some more variety with quests and world building but oh well. Planing to at least level to max and try some endgame.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

kaaj posted:

I tried this game few days ago and I'm having fun. I must be doing something wrong.
Really like factions and crafting / gathering aspect of it. Would use some more variety with quests and world building but oh well. Planing to at least level to max and try some endgame.

There are certain threads in SA that are simply hostile to the content of the thread. This is one of them. Pay it no mind.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Oh I'm messing I'm here long enough. But the game has obvious bugs (I got stuck today in a pillar and needed to teleport out of it) and also a lot of potential. I love the setting, just would like to learn more about it. I'm running PvP flagged and it's fun for now. So I'm definitely going to get my money's worth of it.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
It has a lot of problems but gathering ain't one.
Crafting though? Holy gently caress does it have problems. I shouldn't need T1 resources to craft T6 items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

kaaj posted:

This is the same reaction most players had during the 1st week after the game's original launch in 2021. The game's reputation comes from the experience after playing it for more than a week, especially once you reach max level, if you're judging it by the standards of an MMO or Live Service game.

If you're playing it as a single-player experience that you're happy to put down after reaching max level, then that's more likely to yield a positive impression (although that implies you'll uninstall after a couple weeks and not engage with the cash shop, which is the opposite of the developers' intent).