Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Jelly posted:

LOL. They just hate QOL poo poo. I cannot understand in the year of our lord, 2022, why some game developers are still punishing the players. In this case, for absolutely literally no reason whatsoever, and the only thing it is doing is hurting them (Amazon's profits).

I have to say it is the stupidest thing I've ever seen in gaming in over four decades. The question, "Why are they doing this?" can not be applied with more relevance to any other issue I've ever experienced in an MMO.

Both my roommate and myself quit the game after a month for literally no other reason then the horrifically mind-numbingly stupid-rear end "gently caress you for no loving reason" inventory and banking system. That was the only completely fun-breaking complaint I had and it was bad enough to sever and never look back.

I haven't played this game for months, and I'm still pissed off about it. I'm honestly not sure who is dumber, Amazon developers or Trump supporters. It's that bad.

At the start they wanted inventory and location of inventory to matter. Of course players solve this by only banking in one location and HATE moving stuff around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
I'm not an authority on how well a game is developed/balanced. But I came back to the game 3 weeks ago and I'm having a blast playing. I originally didn't stick with the game because it wasn't enough like Conan Exiles for me, but I find the game enjoyable as a timesink. It has the super passive non-thinking parts, and super involved live combat and pvp. Are there bugs and hitches? Sure. But I've found the gameplay fun, I've found the community helpful (especially in expeditions and on an individual basis) which is something I thought long dead in MMOs.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

PyRosflam posted:

At the start they wanted inventory and location of inventory to matter. Of course players solve this by only banking in one location and HATE moving stuff around.

Aren't all storages linked now?

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Yam Slacker

GoGoGadget posted:

Yes

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

GoGoGadget posted:

If I'm remembering correctly I'm pretty sure they were linked when I played as well but you had to pay a tax/premium to access it, which made it not worth it.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Jelly posted:

If I'm remembering correctly I'm pretty sure they were linked when I played as well but you had to pay a tax/premium to access it, which made it not worth it.

I think if settlements were under the same faction control you could pay a transfer fee to pull things from or move them to another settlement, based on the weight. Something along those lines. Now they're just freely accessible.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Yeah I can’t think of a game with more bank space available than this game now. With so many settlements and space in each you have a ton of room to work with, albeit through a clunky interface.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I actually just use them as different boxes like I’d sort chests in Minecraft. Each has different types of materials or stuff in them (like, weaving mats go in weavers fen) and I’ve begun using some of the empty ones as “loadouts” until they implement a proper system for it. One for healer build (Life Staff/Void Gauntlet and associated Focus/Con gear), one for Rapier/Musket, etc. It’s basically free bank tabs every time you visit a new area.

I just wish you could rename them.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
Some interesting stuff in the dev update for the 1 year anniversary:

https://youtu.be/FIvigR0dyCw

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
This has been out a year? The gently caress?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah somehow this survived its first year, and its player numbers are increasing again. Who the gently caress is coming back to this game? Stop! :psyduck:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

lmao i was curious to see what was up since the INITIAL DRAMA and i guess it's still bad?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game has gotten much better, but this month is a new zone being added, and it'll kinda make or break the game for people. This is sort of Amazon's last chance to salvage their game.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

It's coming out in October? hype

* (ok not hype)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jelly posted:

LOL. They just hate QOL poo poo. I cannot understand in the year of our lord, 2022, why some game developers are still punishing the players. In this case, for absolutely literally no reason whatsoever, and the only thing it is doing is hurting them (Amazon's profits).

I have to say it is the stupidest thing I've ever seen in gaming in over four decades. The question, "Why are they doing this?" can not be applied with more relevance to any other issue I've ever experienced in an MMO.

Both my roommate and myself quit the game after a month for literally no other reason then the horrifically mind-numbingly stupid-rear end "gently caress you for no loving reason" inventory and banking system. That was the only completely fun-breaking complaint I had and it was bad enough to sever and never look back.

I haven't played this game for months, and I'm still pissed off about it. I'm honestly not sure who is dumber, Amazon developers or Trump supporters. It's that bad.

oh no, my inventory doesn't teleport to me. so pissed off

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Yeah somehow this survived its first year, and its player numbers are increasing again. Who the gently caress is coming back to this game? Stop! :psyduck:

People are just so hard up for a good, new MMO, that they'll give anything resembling that chance after chance. Even I enjoyed the game during that initial period I played it.

It's still a bad game run by a worse company.

Apr 7, 2003

The game's biggest problem is the trash community which will poo poo on you if you don't have an optimum build for whatever event you're doing, even if it's simple casual stuff, and will lose their mind at the slightest bit of adversity.

I've been playing on and off since the game was released and I've mostly enjoyed playing it. The biggest turn-off by far hasn't been Amazon or the devs, it's been the community that thinks fun is incidental.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The game's biggest problem is the trash community which will poo poo on you if you don't have an optimum build for whatever event you're doing, even if it's simple casual stuff, and will lose their mind at the slightest bit of adversity.

I've been playing on and off since the game was released and I've mostly enjoyed playing it. The biggest turn-off by far hasn't been Amazon or the devs, it's been the community that thinks fun is incidental.

I’ve run into this a grand total of zero times ever and have found the opposite to be true, the community is nice and helpful most of the time. It could be server-based for sure though.

Apr 7, 2003

Ort posted:

I’ve run into this a grand total of zero times ever and have found the opposite to be true, the community is nice and helpful most of the time. It could be server-based for sure though.

I'm on US East and I've gone through three servers in the course of contractions and it was like that across the board on all of them. May just be cranky east coasters, who knows, but it's worse than in any MMO I've played before.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

so when does this new player experience revamp come out? That's all I'm waiting on. I don't necessarily care about fresh start servers.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

https://twitter.com/playnewworld/status/1576935172578152456?s=46&t=_Zk1nuJZIDXl1hkx-4p4sw

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GoGoGadget posted:

so when does this new player experience revamp come out? That's all I'm waiting on. I don't necessarily care about fresh start servers.

October 18 with the Brimstone update.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Yam Slacker

Ort posted:

I've also found this to be true. Most people are nice and helpful in groups. But also West Coast Server.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

I wonder how many bugs it'll introduce. Will the freeze the marketplace, for the, what, fifth time or something.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

isn't that the fallout guy

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

oh no, my inventory doesn't teleport to me. so pissed off

I see reading isn't your strong suit, much like selecting fun games to play.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

At the very least I would like to be able to look at all of my bank spaces in each town from anywhere in the game, but have to actually visit that specific town that has the items I want in order to retrieve them. Pretty much all bank space you can have in the game right now, I have filled up with items. Mostly crafting. :p

I said come in! posted:

At the very least I would like to be able to look at all of my bank spaces in each town from anywhere in the game, but have to actually visit that specific town that has the items I want in order to retrieve them. Pretty much all bank space you can have in the game right now, I have filled up with items. Mostly crafting. :p

You can view all bank spaces in any town and actually deposit/withdraw from them in any town too. It’s the least restrictive bank system I’m familiar with.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

This is why I was confused. I was pretty sure the inventory system had drastically changed, but everyone complaining about that system seems to be operating on knowledge of how it worked at launch and not how it currently works.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
How it currently works is clunky and jank, but it was obviously patched together off of the old system and it's not like turning it into a single inventory or anything is a higher priority than pretty much anything else, at least it works most of the time. Not sure about what Ort means with least restrictive though, the current iteration is at best the same bank you get in any other game that isn't a complete ancient relic. At least the total size is decent.

Hra Mormo posted:

How it currently works is clunky and jank, but it was obviously patched together off of the old system and it's not like turning it into a single inventory or anything is a higher priority than pretty much anything else, at least it works most of the time. Not sure about what Ort means with least restrictive though, the current iteration is at best the same bank you get in any other game that isn't a complete ancient relic. At least the total size is decent.

Yeah I mean the size at baseline is huge compared to a bank like WoW’s and the fact you can access it nearly anywhere vs only in one location. It’s super janky to use though.

Apr 7, 2003

Jelly posted:

I see reading isn't your strong suit, much like selecting fun games to play.

I can run around hadoukening deer while I deforest an entire region with my own two hands, what's not fun about that?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Ort posted:

Yeah I mean the size at baseline is huge compared to a bank like WoW’s and the fact you can access it nearly anywhere vs only in one location. It’s super janky to use though.

Yeah WoW's bank, which is quite the relic from 2004 itself, is absolutely tiny at baseline. Even that is accessible from every city though, and the occasional extra location, and I think they have a mount or something that flat out lets you summon a bank now and a racial and probably an engineering item and I don't even know what the gently caress else, they keep adding things. If you don't have access to all those extra options though, I will submit that the New World towns lend themselves to being exceptionally conveniently placed, since they're vaguely equidistant and there's so many of them.

On the other hand the inventory and encumbrance of New World does kind of force more dependence on banks to begin with, so it's a difficult thing to compare directly.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Hra Mormo posted:

Yeah WoW's bank, which is quite the relic from 2004 itself, is absolutely tiny at baseline. Even that is accessible from every city though, and the occasional extra location, and I think they have a mount or something that flat out lets you summon a bank now and a racial and probably an engineering item and I don't even know what the gently caress else, they keep adding things. If you don't have access to all those extra options though, I will submit that the New World towns lend themselves to being exceptionally conveniently placed, since they're vaguely equidistant and there's so many of them.

On the other hand the inventory and encumbrance of New World does kind of force more dependence on banks to begin with, so it's a difficult thing to compare directly.

Didn't the bank in WoW start out as city-specific? Or was it just that only Ironforge and Orgrimmar had banks? I know the latter is true, but I can't quite remember if the former ever was.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
It's literally been almost two decades, but I believe every city always had a bank, including the neutral goblin towns, and the inventory was always shared. It was the auction house which was originally only available in Ironforge and Orgrimmar, plus an extra cross-faction one with huge listing fees in one of the goblin towns.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

GoGoGadget posted:

This is why I was confused. I was pretty sure the inventory system had drastically changed, but everyone complaining about that system seems to be operating on knowledge of how it worked at launch and not how it currently works.
I am the originator of the complaint and have acknowledged I have not played the game since this was updated. It was a comment on Amazon's general ineptness permanently losing customers over simple QOL issues that should never exist, rather than an active customer complaining about the current issues.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Jelly posted:

I am the originator of the complaint and have acknowledged I have not played the game since this was updated. It was a comment on Amazon's general ineptness permanently losing customers over simple QOL issues that should never exist, rather than an active customer complaining about the current issues.

The important thing is to release a game in an unnecessarily janky state, then slowly patch it up and show "progress" by eventually getting it to a place that would be almost, but not quite, bog standard patch 1.0 requirements for any other game less than 20 years old. I am not being sarcastic here - Amazon's track record speaks for itself. I get the feeling the studio is mostly plucky MMO dev wannabes, financed by deep pockets, mismanaged to the point of absurdity, and in way over their heads. It's amazing they've gotten this far to be honest. I think the game is still in an awful state, but I do think that with regard to a few things, they've hit on something here, that, if better executed, could have grown into something different in this playspace.

Whether or not they can ever get better is definitely up in the air. I'm not certain what I've seen so far indicates the results of a team getting better at their jobs with practice; so far it's been like watching cats chase after a laser pointer, never quite making the connection that they'll never catch it, but moreso not understanding the underlying reasons why.

The mental exercise I resort to is this: if the team was scrapped entirely and replaced by an extremely competent and experienced dev team, familiar with the MMO space and sharing in the vision they have for the game (if any), could it be patched up to a good state? Or were the foundations laid so badly that the underlying potential simply can't be reached? I can say the game feels wrong, but that's subjective, and plenty of people would disagree with that. I would have liked to see this do better, but my experiences on the PTR not only failed to renew my interest, but actually felt worse than it did before. That's not a good place to be.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ort posted:

You can view all bank spaces in any town and actually deposit/withdraw from them in any town too. It’s the least restrictive bank system I’m familiar with.

Woot! That is a new addition I didnt know about.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ort posted:

this is Good actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Scruffpuff posted:

The important thing is to release a game in an unnecessarily janky state, then slowly patch it up and show "progress" by eventually getting it to a place that would be almost, but not quite, bog standard patch 1.0 requirements for any other game less than 20 years old. I am not being sarcastic here - Amazon's track record speaks for itself. I get the feeling the studio is mostly plucky MMO dev wannabes, financed by deep pockets, mismanaged to the point of absurdity, and in way over their heads. It's amazing they've gotten this far to be honest. I think the game is still in an awful state, but I do think that with regard to a few things, they've hit on something here, that, if better executed, could have grown into something different in this playspace.

Whether or not they can ever get better is definitely up in the air. I'm not certain what I've seen so far indicates the results of a team getting better at their jobs with practice; so far it's been like watching cats chase after a laser pointer, never quite making the connection that they'll never catch it, but moreso not understanding the underlying reasons why.

The mental exercise I resort to is this: if the team was scrapped entirely and replaced by an extremely competent and experienced dev team, familiar with the MMO space and sharing in the vision they have for the game (if any), could it be patched up to a good state? Or were the foundations laid so badly that the underlying potential simply can't be reached? I can say the game feels wrong, but that's subjective, and plenty of people would disagree with that. I would have liked to see this do better, but my experiences on the PTR not only failed to renew my interest, but actually felt worse than it did before. That's not a good place to be.

FFXIV has proven that an MMO can launch in a disastrous state and come out on top of the industry. It just requires a competent director and a company that actually knows how to run a video game studio behind that director, of which Amazon seems to have neither.