Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The NOTCH is a design compromise. It's lovely, but generally can be forgotten about, and that should be the goal: make it functionally invisible and un-noticeable.

But no, some exec said WHAT IF WE and now it's a centerpiece of a feature while actually adding no function or usability to that feature. They're lamp shading it hard and it's driving UI choices in the wrong direction.

Stupid stupid stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

My iPhone 8 is literally falling apart, so I need a new phone soon. I guess this is a good time to get a 13 mini?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
The Best Buy deal last year meant upgrading from 12 Pro to 13 Pro for $100, if they do that again then why the gently caress wouldn’t I upgrade

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Definitely an S year. Next year will be notchless phone to anchor it as a non S year. I wish satellite comms included non-emergency texting, but I imagine that was unachievable as part of Apple's agreement with satellite providers to not cannibalize their partnered texting service providers that they have prior agreements with.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Here’s hoping the stores tomorrow will fire sale the S7 because I’m definitely gonna get one for cheaper now that there’s no real reason to get the S8 or Ultra

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The Dave posted:

Trading my 12 Pro in for the 14 Pro. I actually don’t think this is the S year and people are going to be super disappointed next year.

The only way anyone could be dissapointed is if they don't add the usb-c.

nerox
May 20, 2001
The Ultra Watch bands are $99 each. :lol:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

ZeeBoi posted:

just swipe the lock screen to the left

If that's the shortcut then get rid of the drat camera button on the lock screen!!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

fourwood posted:

The Best Buy deal last year meant upgrading from 12 Pro to 13 Pro for $100, if they do that again then why the gently caress wouldn’t I upgrade

Is this more financially advantageous than the iPhone Upgrade Program, which was previously the best program for consumers? Whats the catch?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I've had an iPhone since the original launch and that was the worst keynote and least exciting update they've ever done. Just terrible.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

incoherent posted:

The only way anyone could be dissapointed is if they don't add the usb-c.

I think it's pretty much written in stone since the eu directive for mandatory usb-c is 100% sure to proceed and apple won't accept to make two different chassis and spare stocks for lighting and usb-c equipped phones.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

So the rumors of the price increase this year were wrong, aye? $999 for the 14 Pro base.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

Here’s hoping the stores tomorrow will fire sale the S7 because I’m definitely gonna get one for cheaper now that there’s no real reason to get the S8 or Ultra

Yeah, this is me too. Going to start refreshing tonight.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
399 USD for Watch 8 GPS is apparently 499 EUR. Nice.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Gay Retard posted:

So the rumors of the price increase this year were wrong, aye? $999 for the 14 Pro base.

I think the rumors were free consumer analysis to feel if it would have been viable to do raises or not.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I gotta admit that's a pretty drat clever way of addressing the notch/cutout situation of modern smartphones

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

I've had an iPhone since the original launch and that was the worst keynote and least exciting update they've ever done. Just terrible.

I'm really struggling to think of anything that has excited me on any iPhone since the X. I don't mean that they're bad phones, but I don't do much phone photography or video so it feels like every year is just "faster and camera better" which gets an "oh.. cool I guess" out of me at most.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

Is this more financially advantageous than the iPhone Upgrade Program, which was previously the best program for consumers? Whats the catch?

The carrier ones are (mostly) gonna require 3 year contracts.

Big question is whether it’ll be new customers only or upgrades too.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Inner Light posted:

Definitely an S year. Next year will be notchless phone to anchor it as a non S year. I wish satellite comms included non-emergency texting, but I imagine that was unachievable as part of Apple's agreement with satellite providers to not cannibalize their partnered texting service providers that they have prior agreements with.

They didn't do the new pill design and DYNAMIC ISLAND, just to get rid of it in a year. Next year will be the S year, and maybe the following year we go notchless.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

399 USD for Watch 8 GPS is apparently 499 EUR. Nice.

Current series gps watches routinely drop at 400€, i paid that much for my s6 gps and if you can hold for a while, it's the same for s7.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple Watch clearance sales have been going on for weeks. Costco had Series 7 for $280 last month.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Astro7x posted:

When they say up to $1,000 off through major carriers... really curious about this.

I got an iPhone 12 Pro, traded it into Best Buy and got an iPhone 13 Pro for $110 after taxes. If I can trade in my iPhone 13 Pro with no hassles for the same deal, doing it without a doubt.

The way that AT&T did it when I turned my phone in a couple years ago was they issued a credit, but over 8 months rather than all at once.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Inner Light posted:

The catch is you have to trade it in at Best Buy and sit there with the tech guy while the whole transfer process happens and hope to god you didn’t forget to backup your 2FA app or whatever.

But yeah I don’t think you can find much of a better deal than $100/year cost of ownership.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

They didn't do the new pill design and DYNAMIC ISLAND, just to get rid of it in a year. Next year will be the S year, and maybe the following year we go notchless.

Kinda wonder if the island thing sticks for longer than two years. It kinda gives the iPhone a cute gimmick with the notch.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Would going from Watch Series 4 to Series 8 be a good update or should I wait for next year's Series 9?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

128gb level entry storage for the Pro is kinda lame, I was hoping for 256 at that pricepoint. I feel I "barely" keep anything local on the phone these days and I'm usually at 100gb or so so would like more breathing room.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

ZeeBoi posted:

Would going from Watch Series 4 to Series 8 be a good update or should I wait for next year's Series 9?

I think you can survive for another year or buy a discount S7

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Ugh yeah T-Mobile has 13 Pro trade in at $600 credit + $400 over 24 months, awfully cheap especially if inflation comes down hard.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Euro models are nanoSIM + eSIM, just in case anyone wanted confirmation.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

ZeeBoi posted:

Al-Saqr posted:

I think you can survive for another year or buy a discount S7
Yeah basically what Al-Saqr said. But S8 if you’d use ovulation tracking but discount S7 or hold out for 9 otherwise.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

smoobles posted:

I gotta admit that's a pretty drat clever way of addressing the notch/cutout situation of modern smartphones

It absolutely isn't. The 30 pixels over the top of the DYNAMIC ORIFICE are useless.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

128gb level entry storage for the Pro is kinda lame, I was hoping for 256 at that pricepoint. I feel I "barely" keep anything local on the phone these days and I'm usually at 100gb or so so would like more breathing room.

I just reset my iphone to factory (with no backup/restore) because 80% of the storage space was filled with "System Storage" and after 2 weeks, its filled itself back up with minimal apps installed or anything at all. I don't know what the gently caress is going on with iOS.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The Ultra is €1.000 in Germany and the Pro is €1.300 (translates to $1.000 and $1.300 respectively) lmbo :allears:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

It absolutely isn't. The 30 pixels over the top of the DYNAMIC ORIFICE are useless.
Right which is way worse than the notch with 0 useless pixels!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
FUUUUCK the operating temperature for the new phones is 0 to 35C, they are going to melt in the summer.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Too bad the AW8 isn't available in a proper dark grey/graphite color option as the AW6. That midnight blue is meh.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

FUUUUCK the operating temperature for the new phones is 0 to 35C, they are going to melt in the summer.

But the phones can communicate with satellites in case of emergency!

*As long as your outdoors adventure takes place in mild temperatures!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

AlternateAccount posted:

The NOTCH is a design compromise. It's lovely, but generally can be forgotten about, and that should be the goal: make it functionally invisible and un-noticeable.

But no, some exec said WHAT IF WE and now it's a centerpiece of a feature while actually adding no function or usability to that feature. They're lamp shading it hard and it's driving UI choices in the wrong direction.

Stupid stupid stupid.

I agree with this so hard. My co-workers seem to love the new notification system though, which tells me Apple has won.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

SlowBloke posted:

That sucks, my iPhone 13 Pro goes into over-temperature hibernation not infrequently in the car in summer. Seems like 14 might be significantly more sensitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This keynote convinced me to go to a pixel pro. First time since the original iPhone I’m gonna try android full time. I had an original pixel as a secondary device and it was fine.