Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Yes, going into the loving artic circle will mean being cold. Writing about it is being needlessly smug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Swim proof? Use IP standard not make believe bullshit

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Temperature sensor on wrist is nice but how much use will it have on a 24h basis?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
All this woman health data shouldn't be allowed to be share to anyone in the us given how regressive laws on reproductive rights are getting ratified by the day

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
The new accelerometer and gyroscope maybe will mean that apple watch will stop counting my driving as steps so i won't be getting awards anymore :(

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Time for a pro watch that will crumble into dust after the first race given how the airpods pro fared in the long run

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
36/60 hrs native justifies whatever price, in low power mode they can stuff it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rageaholic posted:

Watersports :q:

High speed watersports

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The official ones are gonna be like $89 I'll guess

different case/connector i think

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

sportsgenius86 posted:

this lady looks like a Navi or whatever from Avatar

She looks like someone pressing randomize one too many times in mass effect lol

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ShoogaSlim posted:

"most accurate gps of any smartwatch"

surely garmin/dedicated sport watches aren't counted in this category, right? aren't those high end hiking watches specifically made to track you in the middle of nowhere and, like, call a chopper if you're lost or hurt or whatever?

Garmin is mostly l1 gps+ galileo+glonass.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Lol at the first diver getting hosed by using a apple watch rather than a real scuba computer.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
799 without cellular right?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

George Kansas posted:

lmao the entire thread exploding about how only charging $800 is a bargain

thank you tim!! thank you!!!

A decent titanium citizen scuba watch is 800€ so it's not that terrible really.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I wonder if tim will give me a discount on the new airpods pro if i ship him my set of airpods pro that has been sent to service more than an alfa romeo

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
This lady voice is irritating as nails on chalkboard

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Wow double noise cancel will do wonders if it gets the microphones destroyed as mk1

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
HAAAAA let's advertise peltor grade ear protection with a toy earbuds

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Lanyard is a nice addition

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
249€ is not terrible since airpods pro got discounted rather easily to 200€

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

incoherent posted:

rip iphone mini?

I think they'll run the current mini until stocks lasts

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I think i'll wait on the last pro iphone that keeps lighting, i don't want to buy a crate of usbc cables

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Riven posted:

Ars Technica is liveblogging it and the people live at the theater are literally just watching this video lol.

Lol at shill journalists getting poo poo on that hard.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Lol photonic engine what kind of nerd would call a simple algorithm that way

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

incoherent posted:

drat no more sims

Getting the telcos bent over a barrel to providing easy access to eSIM is a net positive

EDIT oh gently caress i'm going to stay on my XR forever, my work provider doesn't support eSIM for business contracts(only for consumer)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Zero dark iphone

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

qbert posted:

How does eSim work if you want to give your phone to someone? I always give my old phone to my dad when I upgrade and usually he just swaps out SIM cards.

eSIM profiles gets wiped after a factory reset.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Satellite emergency is nice but what networks are they going to run on? Iridium?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ShoogaSlim posted:

"satellites fly too high to be seen by the human eye"

jaw dropping revelations from this event

Elon satellites can be seen with binoculars or smart phones with 2x lens lol

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Lol at the fees after those two free years

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Time for propaganda for removing chargers and wires after being turbofucked in 🇧🇷

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Anton Chigurh posted:

Possible eventual U.S. military contract to provide cheaper satellite iPhones to their overseas soldiers than what they currently now have?

Maybe, though the blowback from their employees would be substantial, as would the press attention to it.

Whatever provider they are using for the satellites, their current phones are likely more expensive. If they add to their catalog it will sell gangbusters.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

buglord posted:

What were the fees? I missed that part.

Not shown since satellite data links are expensive as gently caress.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
This notch camouflage system looks annoying as hell

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Anton Chigurh posted:

Sorry, I don't follow. The provider Apple is using for sat connectivity, or the U.S. military? The current phones who has, Apple or the military?

I've read what you wrote about 14 times and I only got more confused each time (my fault, not yours), but you have me very curious here...

just as an example Thuraya satellite android phones doesn't even show prices on the product price since it's so outrageous, so if they support their network, they have a clear interest in bulk purchasing iphones and add to their catalog for casual users. All satellite providers supported by this will likely start selling them as low end endpoints.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I missed the camera wank, does it still include lidar on pros?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
After years of jerking themself raw with BIG PIXELS, having 48MP with a pinhead sensor is now the best.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

AlternateAccount posted:

It's cool what they're managing to do with the camera, but they hand wave away that a TON of what you see is software and enhancements you can't really control.
You can't get past the physics and the fact that their sensor is the size of a booger.

Pros can snap a handful of photos in raw if you want to skip the software enhancements but I think the scenarios where you will do better than the algorithms are very limited

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I will wait to see the international variants, if the euro models are esim only i'm forced to stay on what i have(or a cheap 13 pro from retailers warehouse cleanups)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

incoherent posted:

The only way anyone could be dissapointed is if they don't add the usb-c.

I think it's pretty much written in stone since the eu directive for mandatory usb-c is 100% sure to proceed and apple won't accept to make two different chassis and spare stocks for lighting and usb-c equipped phones.