Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I would like a new watch to not die in 2 hours if you’re using GPS+Cellular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Inner Light posted:

What do people use their watch for? I have my phone in front of me on my desk or with me on couch / in bed all day long. I have considered getting the iWatch just for running outside without my phone but that one single benefit isn't worth hundreds of bux for me.

I get that not taking the phone out of a pants pocket or bag is a benefit, but idk if I have a strong use case to rationalize the purchase.

Wallet/Apple Pay, exercising/activity tracking, notifications/quick replying and Siri/HomeKit are my main use. Between the watch and the ipad, I actually use my phone the least.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gimme da loving battery life, Tim

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hughmoris posted:

Honest question from someone not in the Apple universe: can the watch be a legit "life alert" for senior citizens? My folks are getting older and I worry about them falling and not being able to stand up without help.

The watch has had fall protection for a few years now to cover exactly this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The main drawback of using a watch for senior citizens is getting them to actually charge the watch daily.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

oh my god they're doing nothing with the battery hahahahaha

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tim what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck are you doing

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OK here we go with the pro

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

U L T R A

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

titanium case lmao this thing is STARTING at 4 digits

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

only 36 hours hahahahahahhahahahaha

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

So far they’re really not selling me on this, once they announce the price I’ll make a final decision whether I’ll poo poo my pants or not

Everything I've seen that I like is software stuff that all the current watches are getting.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They will absolutely fly past the cost move on right to iPhone

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

$799 oh wow that's pretty loving good

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

George Kansas posted:

lmao the entire thread exploding about how only charging $800 is a bargain

thank you tim!! thank you!!!

I mean my series 5 stainless steel + milanese loop was literally exactly 800 and I was fine paying that 3 years ago.

(i had to double check and looked up the invoice)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

rest in peace, iPhone Mini. you were too good for this cruel world.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rageaholic posted:

So it's called Plus again and not Pro Max?

These are the 14/plu the pro/max are next.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Riven posted:

Ars Technica is liveblogging it and the people live at the theater are literally just watching this video lol.

lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Anton Chigurh posted:

Like you, I expect the 15 will the be the Jesus Phone I'm after, and will have satellite access and they'll kill that goddamned Notch once and for all.

PBUA

Notch is dead this year. 14pro/max have a pinhole.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kirios posted:

Okay am I going crazy or has eSIM been a thing on iPhone for quite a while? Why are we talking about it?

because they just killed the sim tray it's ALL esim now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

keevo posted:

Wait so what happens if you travel somewhere and need a SIM card?

at least in the uk and other places across europe getting a precard esim is as easy if not easier than getting a sim card.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

qbert posted:

How does eSim work if you want to give your phone to someone? I always give my old phone to my dad when I upgrade and usually he just swaps out SIM cards.

(if getting a new iphone) When you do the iphone to iphone transfer it'll automatically move the line over to the new device

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lol they really are going all in on not showing the pinholes hahahahahahahhaa

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kirios posted:

oh my god I actually hate this

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yes un ULTRA, skipping everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Time to for to see if Best Buy has any good trade in offers. That’d be about the only way I consider a new phone this year. Carrier offers all seem pretty poo poo now that they’re locked into being monthly credits + forcing you into their current unlimited everything plan.