Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

lol “buy the Apple Watch in case you fall into a trash compactor” is a helluva thing

Apple's "one more thing" for 2022 appears to be "be afraid of everything"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Buy the watch or die

:hmmyes:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

mattfl posted:

My series 4 is getting long in the tooth so it's time to upgrade!

This is me too. I guess I'm in this to see what's new in the 8, but I'm also really open to seeing if the 7 gets some deep cuts if nothing really speaks to me about today's features.

And honestly, when I say "long in the tooth" I think the S4 battery just stinks now. Everything else still feels pretty snappy and useful.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Inner Light posted:

What do people use their watch for? I have my phone in front of me on my desk or with me on couch / in bed all day long. I have considered getting the iWatch just for running outside without my phone but that one single benefit isn't worth hundreds of bux for me.

I get that not taking the phone out of a pants pocket or bag is a benefit, but idk if I have a strong use case to rationalize the purchase.

Fitness tracking, telling the time at a glance, media control, all daily use cases for me, but bar none the most used is ApplePay.

Since the iPhone went to FaceID I have never once had a smooth payment experience, vs my watch which is always just ready.

So a lot of overlap between phone and watch, except for payment. And for me it's 100% worth it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

oh huh, low power coming to S4? Suddenly interested since my battery life is poo poo.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So, was that it for features? I didn't really see anything that would push me to buy S8 over S7...

Which is actually fine. I'm happy paying (hopefully) less for something I use few features of anyway.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I kind of missed the car crash thing. And I do ride a motorcycle. I wonder if that's been tuned for ragdolling soft bodies vs rigid car crashes. I could theoretically see wanting an S8 for that, I suppose.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

“I see you were suddenly flung 100 feet from your vehicle , are you ok?”

I'd love to answer but the arm with the watch on it was torn off and fell into a garbage truck compactor

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's kind of ugly IMO but .. ehh.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

S7 here I come

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This Ultra watch feels like it would be really useful if I was a much MUCH more interesting person.

Tim: "We track your deep sea diving"

Me: "Wow, that is SO useful!" *hasn't moved from couch for 7 hours straight*

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

799 is actually pretty OK but I for sure can't justify buying on based on "wow it's less expensive than I thought" when a 7 is probably fine for me :lol:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Everyone who's buying the Ultra, have you considered the surprise added expense of all the airline tickets and safari expeditions you'll need to pay for now that you're an Ultra haver? :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm so annoyed that I can't wear in-ear sealing buds because of my hosed up ear canal shape making everything painful. Really wish the non-silicone-tip airpods would get some love :\

obviously wouldn't be able to noise cancel etc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wonderllama posted:

How does it take an hour and a half to announce three products

Look it's hard to give five hundred different employees their five minutes of fame.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I'm living in the past. I'll coast to the 15 easy with my XS. If my XS had USB-C i would just use it until it literally refused to turn on.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mr. Cook!

ARM THE PHOTONIC ENGINE

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

incoherent posted:

get that battery replaced and you'll get that speed back.

This is my plan TBH.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

eliminates the need for a physical card*

* unless you have Rogers in Canada where they need to mail or physically hand you a card with a QR code

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wow always on phone screen. I can't think of a feature I would turn off faster.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stop saying Photonic Engine, I can't not crack up

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

Literally EVERYONE is doing the old Steve steepled-fingers thing now.

Excellent

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All these camera improvements are amazing, I'm sure, but the weakest link will always be me pulling my phone out of my pocket and hastily thumbing the camera button before missing a blurry shot of the thing I wanted a photo of.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

These cameras are half as thick as the phone, jfc

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Just swipe left on the Lock Screen

ZeeBoi posted:

just swipe the lock screen to the left

the catch is that I have to remember to do that

and I never do, when I'm missing whatever the hell is happening in front of me :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So is the car crash thing hardware or software?

e: I mean, new hardware, or just a software thing?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So.. 12 and 13 are the same price now?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Why would I buy a 12 if I could have a 13 for the same price?

I have to assume it's something like a high-storage SKU for 12 vs a lower end 13?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

Here’s hoping the stores tomorrow will fire sale the S7 because I’m definitely gonna get one for cheaper now that there’s no real reason to get the S8 or Ultra

Yeah, this is me too. Going to start refreshing tonight.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

I've had an iPhone since the original launch and that was the worst keynote and least exciting update they've ever done. Just terrible.

I'm really struggling to think of anything that has excited me on any iPhone since the X. I don't mean that they're bad phones, but I don't do much phone photography or video so it feels like every year is just "faster and camera better" which gets an "oh.. cool I guess" out of me at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

FUUUUCK the operating temperature for the new phones is 0 to 35C, they are going to melt in the summer.

Well it’s certainly something that the ambient temperature of certain parts of the country are outside of the phone’s operating range.

Certainly something… bad.