Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How should voting be handled?
This poll is closed.
Select a panel of 3-5 judges from common community members or mods 6 27.27%
Community voting, any SA user can vote 14 63.64%
Other, explain below 2 9.09%
Total: 22 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

xzzy posted:

If anyone finds a clean copy of "I am paying for this microphone" you'd be a hero. Everything on youtube is clipped, the crowd noise sucks too. Which I guess is just something you gotta deal with when making samples but someone out there must have a better copy.

LOL I hadn't gotten around to that one yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ronald wilson reagan

time signature of the beat

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

The Voice of Labor posted:

ronald wilson reagan

time signature of the beat

:nice:

BSP maxes out at 300 but if you send it clock from something that goes faster than that the white lights move so fast it fucks with my eyes and I see colors that aren't there

not very listenable tho

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

The Voice of Labor posted:

lol ambient dj nerds. I guess if I post one Imma have to post a youtube video of my daw playing back tracks

hey wait that's a question actually. Is it ok just to post a soundcloud or similar link to audio when we're done?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

xzzy posted:

If anyone finds a clean copy of "I am paying for this microphone" you'd be a hero. Everything on youtube is clipped, the crowd noise sucks too. Which I guess is just something you gotta deal with when making samples but someone out there must have a better copy.

Yeah, I think you're probably going to have to work with that. Terrible acoustics all around. What a melodramatic bitch. Maybe it's time to think out of the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVHlHR5RcSg

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:toxx: I will submit something to this context by 12pm midnight GMT on 10/31/2022, which meets the criteria explained above

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ho boy I hope this wasn’t a mistake :supaburn: I am basically a total music production newbie, but I like music, at least!!

I’ve already got some ideas and possible paths I can take. Some history and interviewing to do, too.

Fair warning: I have significant industrial influence, ssssoooooooo :shepface:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know what I'm doing other than proving what a child I am.

https://soundcloud.com/mrxzzy/einstein-uses-crack/s-2MdqnlTkkGo?si=dd0fb71e7eeb49109135bbc552f25c77

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

hey wait that's a question actually. Is it ok just to post a soundcloud or similar link to audio when we're done?

yep

I will aggregate them closer to the deadline and make a list to make sure I don't miss any

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 13, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Cabbages and Kings posted:

:nice:

BSP maxes out at 300 but if you send it clock from something that goes faster than that the white lights move so fast it fucks with my eyes and I see colors that aren't there

not very listenable tho

you are seeing the gains from trickle down economics

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
:toxx: I will submit something to this context by 12pm midnight GMT on 10/31/2022, which meets the criteria explained above

I'll give it a go but just a word of warning, I've only just gotten into synths/eurorack and its likely to be very bad. Have fun everyone.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Wrageowrapper posted:

I'll give it a go but just a word of warning, I've only just gotten into synths/eurorack and its likely to be very bad. Have fun everyone.

:same: and I made the thread so welcome.

* I've owned a couple semi modulars for a few years but it's really only been since about 3 months ago that I've been putting in time and any effort

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Ho boy I hope this wasn’t a mistake :supaburn: I am basically a total music production newbie, but I like music, at least!!

I’ve already got some ideas and possible paths I can take. Some history and interviewing to do, too.

Fair warning: I have significant industrial influence, ssssoooooooo :shepface:

Oh yeah. Oh hey, I'm getting a MIDI adapter for the PO-33. Do you think you can overheat a PO?

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

:same: and I made the thread so welcome.

I have no idea how to make music besides lame-rear end synth jams with hardware, so I just program it all into Reaper like a lazy rear end. Hopefully, this is still accepted for the :toxx:.

I need to find more samples that go with "We begin bombing in five minutes".

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

im_sorry posted:

I have no idea how to make music besides lame-rear end synth jams with hardware, so I just program it all into Reaper like a lazy rear end. Hopefully, this is still accepted for the :toxx:.

https://youtu.be/wHeNMLeahTk

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

a choice one from the great communicator

"To see those... monkeys from those African countries - drat them, they're still uncomfortable wearing shoes!"

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

im_sorry posted:

Yeah, we were trying to discourage lameass synth jams with hardware. This is forum typically leans toward country, western and bluegrass. You're welcome.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

petit choux posted:

This is forum typically leans toward country, western and bluegrass. You're welcome.

preferably patched through unlistenable VCV configs

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Sure, I'll :toxx: in the hope that it gets someone else to throw in a song, too.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

Yeah, we were trying to discourage lameass synth jams with hardware.

Too bad.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ronald Reagan was in some pretty good westerns. I'm just sayin'.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Sort of a Westworld thing goin' on, Reagan gets off the horse, takes off his jodpurs and helmet, puts on blue jeans and a cowboy hat and punches the clock.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok, sorry, I'm confused, and obviously not comprehending something here. I was just trying to joke that if you didn't want lameass synth jams, too bad, I'm doing that anyway. Trying to be lighthearted and dumb, but just being dumb. Maybe I should climb back into bed and get some more sleep.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

B33rChiller posted:

Ok, sorry, I'm confused, and obviously not comprehending something here. I was just trying to joke that if you didn't want lameass synth jams, too bad, I'm doing that anyway. Trying to be lighthearted and dumb, but just being dumb. Maybe I should climb back into bed and get some more sleep.

I think if your lameass synth jam involves samples of Ronnie Ray-Gun, it counts for the :toxx:. It's all in good fun.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

im_sorry posted:

I think if your lameass synth jam involves samples of Ronnie Ray-Gun, it counts for the :toxx:. It's all in good fun.

I don't toxx, and I already posted my lameass synth jam with Ragun

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I chopped up one of his speeches. It was way more work than I should have spent on something like this, but to maybe justify it a little I figured I'd put the zip out there in case someone else finds it handy:

http://xzzy.org/files/reagan-iceland-summit-address.zip

It's from his October 13 1986 address, talking about what happened at the summit with Gorbechev in Iceland. There's nothing particularly notable about this speech other than it had clean audio (no reverb, no static, etc). He talks a lot about nukes and stuff. Cutting it up wasn't THAT bad, but it did take a couple hours to get through a 20 minute file. There's better ways to spend 2 hours. The files are named based on the words in them so if you have an app that makes searching by filenames easy, these should be pretty easy to work with.

I might do the war against drug speech he did with Nancy, but I also might not. We'll see.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

xzzy posted:

I chopped up one of his speeches. It was way more work than I should have spent on something like this, but to maybe justify it a little I figured I'd put the zip out there in case someone else finds it handy:

http://xzzy.org/files/reagan-iceland-summit-address.zip

It's from his October 13 1986 address, talking about what happened at the summit with Gorbechev in Iceland. There's nothing particularly notable about this speech other than it had clean audio (no reverb, no static, etc). He talks a lot about nukes and stuff. Cutting it up wasn't THAT bad, but it did take a couple hours to get through a 20 minute file. There's better ways to spend 2 hours. The files are named based on the words in them so if you have an app that makes searching by filenames easy, these should be pretty easy to work with.

I might do the war against drug speech he did with Nancy, but I also might not. We'll see.

I had developed some techniques for slicing up speeches in REAPER, it appeared a little tedious but not too difficult.

B33rChiller, what are you on about here? I'm sorry, I am just making dumb jokes, I was hoping you guys would play along and help me trick a couple of goons into trying their hand at country synth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

petit choux posted:

I had developed some techniques for slicing up speeches in REAPER, it appeared a little tedious but not too difficult.

I've just been doing it with audacity, set up a hotkey to export selection to a wav and click through the file. There's no way for it to not be tedious, but it's pretty easy. Only issue is when I accidentally select the entire track and lose where I was in the file.

Either way, I suffered through the drug address and added it to the zip: https://xzzy.org/files/reagan-iceland-plus-drugs.zip

That's enough samples for me.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

B33rChiller, what are you on about here?
Honestly, I have no idea. Sorry, I was being dumb, and not picking up on your sillyness. Switched on Nashville seems terrifying.

Here's an honest attempt at making something more in the spirit of the original challenge

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
This incomprehensible interaction makes me want to make a country sounding reagan synth thing. Not toxing myself until I complete a track tho

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CatBlack posted:

This incomprehensible interaction makes me want to make a country sounding reagan synth thing. Not toxing myself until I complete a track tho

Well country on, bro

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

xzzy posted:

I've just been doing it with audacity, set up a hotkey to export selection to a wav and click through the file. There's no way for it to not be tedious, but it's pretty easy. Only issue is when I accidentally select the entire track and lose where I was in the file.

Either way, I suffered through the drug address and added it to the zip: https://xzzy.org/files/reagan-iceland-plus-drugs.zip

That's enough samples for me.

Wow, thanks! Haven't decided what I'm doing yet here but I may .,;/'

;.l
"?;.lk,m,l.;/'
"?;.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

That was a happy accident

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

petit choux posted:

Wow, thanks! Haven't decided what I'm doing yet here but I may .,;/'

;.l
"?;.lk,m,l.;/'
"?;.

same

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

From The Voice of Labor we have this file and description, thanks!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/fo97une5p3atc4s/reaganthekillers.rar/file

quote:

it's a bunch of reagan speech samples, a four piece trap setup made out of gun shots, gun cocks and slamming doors and a bonus of reagan being extra racist with nixon on a phone exchange.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

It's Spooktober soon, and there's been a bunch of chatter about a goon collab project in the Synths thread.

On a now related note, I found myself yesterday listening to Ronald Reagan's "Evil Empire" speech, slicing it up to make a VPME QD sample bank, and I thought "wow this is lit this guy sounds totally theatrical and unhinged, this is a gold mine". Also, the world is hosed enough now that we can look back on Reagan and kind of laugh because his handouts to the rich and efforts to kill gay people (edit: and the poor, and lots of random people in the global south and elsewhere) pale in comparison to the assholes in charge these days.

Challenge / Collaboration / Whatever: 2022 Reagan Revisionism/Remix/Revolution
The only criteria here, and they are blurry, is that you [1] uses a (cited, linked) sample or set of samples of Ronald Reagan in a piece of [2] music involving synthesizers. What's a synthesizer? I'm willing to be extremely generous on that, personally, a synthesizer is anything that performs synthesis, and if you want to pipe some reagan into a Beebo pedal and then gently caress with it by playing an electric-pickup mandolin through it, I'll accept that easily. If you make a set of completely unlistenable patches in VCV rack and pipe the entire canon of reagan speeches through it, I will DEFINITELY accept that.

Entry Fee: The fee is that you toxx in this thread by quoting or posting " :toxx: I will submit something to this context by 12pm midnight GMT on 10/31/2022, which meets the criteria explained above".

Deadline: To be considered for prizes, you need to pay the toxx fee by 9/31/22.

Categories
There are only two categories:

"Identifiable Reagan" - pieces where Reagan is used in a way such that it's clearly discernable human speech that at least could be Reagan.

"Secret Reagan" - pieces where samples are used but have been so heavily distorted that they are not discernable as Reagan. Note that there is a gray area between these two things, and it will be up to creators to decide which category to submit to.

One submission per category per user, but you are free to submit to both

Judging

We can either judge by panel, or just community vote by all goons who agree to actually listen to all submissions. I need to look into leveraging any existing discord infrastructure to do this (with SA user validation), or just put up a poll somewhere. I will figure this out, suggestions welcome, see attached poll.

Prizes

Provided we get at least 20 entries besides myself, I will personally put up a forums upgrade of your choice for winners of both categories as well as a $20 visa gift card. If anyone wants to contribute to the prize pool, PM me. Old/weird/broken cheap gear is always a possibility!

If we exceed 100 unique submissions across both categories I will double my own prize contribution from $20 to $40.

Go forth and sample Reagan!

edit: RESOURCE SHARING

I have made a folder for shared samples, just because I started slicing up "Evil Empire" and I realized I am going to make a lot of samples and probably not use very many of them. Also couldn't help but think about the Hinckley discussion when I was making a clip of "I understand how Abraham Lincoln Felt"....

Here is the folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BLfV7ROuAbph8mbMQvWO2SA1l1CGC_Ws?usp=sharing

I think I have this set up so that anyone with the link is an editor of this folder, and a viewer of my folder. I will probably keep adding samples there, but if you'd like to do the same to make this easier for others, please make a folder with your name, then you can upload to it and maybe tweak the perms on the subfolder to keep someone from getting the link and nuking it. In any case if people start using this I will backup elsewhere to prevent that.

All my samples are mono @ 16 / 44.1 because that's what the VPME QD wants

Hey, I was thinking maybe I can add a couple of pairs of cables to the prize? I've been kinda trying to learn to make cables and I bought a bunch of mil-spec RCA jacks, real nice looking, I could maybe offer a couple pairs of those? It's good practice for me and everybody needs some good cables now and then.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

petit choux posted:

Hey, I was thinking maybe I can add a couple of pairs of cables to the prize?

Wait.. there's a prize?

I was just going to do my usual "make music because I'm a middle aged loser with nothing else to do" and add some Ray-gun samples to it so it would qualify for a possible compilation.....

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

im_sorry posted:

Wait.. there's a prize?

I was just going to do my usual "make music because I'm a middle aged loser with nothing else to do" and add some Ray-gun samples to it so it would qualify for a possible compilation.....
:same:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

im_sorry posted:

Wait.. there's a prize?

Well I'm in it to win it by gosh.

Been playing all night with this new Akai keyboard I just got, the MPK25. Not enough keys. I really like it, it has aftertouch and a lot of sensitivity. And gave Surge VST a proper spin. It is extraordinary, just from trying the presets. There were more presets than I could try. Some of which responded to the aftertouch on this new keyboard. This is one of the best free VSTs I've ever tried. This has been lots of fun but it's now 3 am. Cheers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

current prize pool is a copy of pac-man for the atari 400/800 and a bag of tobacco seeds