Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How should voting be handled?
This poll is closed.
Select a panel of 3-5 judges from common community members or mods 6 27.27%
Community voting, any SA user can vote 14 63.64%
Other, explain below 2 9.09%
Total: 22 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

petit choux posted:

Well I'm in it to win it by gosh.

Been playing all night with this new Akai keyboard I just got, the MPK25. Not enough keys. I really like it, it has aftertouch and a lot of sensitivity. And gave Surge VST a proper spin. It is extraordinary, just from trying the presets. There were more presets than I could try. Some of which responded to the aftertouch on this new keyboard. This is one of the best free VSTs I've ever tried. This has been lots of fun but it's now 3 am. Cheers

Yeah Surge was professionally-made software that was given over to the open source community, who have enthusiastically adopted it. It's pretty much the best free soft synth out there.

The Voice of Labor posted:

current prize pool is a copy of pac-man for the atari 400/800 and a bag of tobacco seeds

What kind of tobacco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I just got unbanned and I don't have platinum now so I'm gonna win this puppy.

And when you see these plugs you will want these cables. And I'll use it as an excuse to get my soldering station reassembled.

quote:

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah Surge was professionally-made software that was given over to the open source community, who have enthusiastically adopted it. It's pretty much the best free soft synth out there.

Oh was it, well that explains it, most good free stuff still has a lot more that's kinda ad hoc about it, and that manual is pretty exceptional. It so loving rocks. I found a really nice split keyboard that had percussion on one hand and it had some rather ambient rhythmic poo poo going on and I really felt like this is like loving fingerpainting, I was ecstatic. I think any idiot could enjoy the hell out of this thing and really feel like they're making music. So I'm in the right place. If I get caught using one of these presets to make my entry, I'll just declare bankruptcy and resurface in Brazil as a retired financier/DJ and live my best life in Rio.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 18, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Lead out in cuffs posted:

What kind of tobacco?

turkish

the tobacco represents death. pac-man represents famine

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

xzzy posted:

I've just been doing it with audacity, set up a hotkey to export selection to a wav and click through the file. There's no way for it to not be tedious, but it's pretty easy. Only issue is when I accidentally select the entire track and lose where I was in the file.

Either way, I suffered through the drug address and added it to the zip: https://xzzy.org/files/reagan-iceland-plus-drugs.zip

That's enough samples for me.

I was just gonna say that this is absolute gold, and your two hours are not going to waste.

Some other Reagan speeches that could be helpful:

https://www.reaganlibrary.gov/archives/speech/remarks-annual-meeting-international-association-chiefs-police-new-orleans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyEn8EOqX9k

Various phrases, such as "cops shooting it out".

https://www.reaganlibrary.gov/archives/speech/remarks-white-house-ceremony-marking-observance-national-afro-american-black
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QeAjikYjic

Yeah Reagan was a good actor. But there are useful clips like "black Americans" and "blacks".

In general you can search his speech archives for a phrase and then cross-check Youtube for the recording.

ie Google something like this:

code:
"police" site:https://www.reaganlibrary.gov/archives

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

The Voice of Labor posted:

turkish

the tobacco represents death. pac-man represents famine

Ah -- yeah if I were to grow tobacco next year I'd be aiming at getting the ceremonial stuff going that I already have seeds for but failed at this year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I haven't even gotten around to starting a beat yet. I just keep gluing words together and making myself laugh.

https://soundcloud.com/mrxzzy/elimination-of-the-freedom-of-others/s-M1xOVXsP6hh?si=a990a06d65bf4e0a958e36e237f24c99

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

xzzy posted:

I haven't even gotten around to starting a beat yet. I just keep gluing words together and making myself laugh.

https://soundcloud.com/mrxzzy/elimination-of-the-freedom-of-others/s-M1xOVXsP6hh?si=a990a06d65bf4e0a958e36e237f24c99

Yeah I'm in a pretty similar place, although laughing a bit less.

"drug enforcement war killing black Americans"
"police shooting black Americans"
"when cops are shooting black Americans"

Gonna snag some "war on drugs" samples from the archives too.

Probably round up with:

"Shortages of marijuana are menacing our society"

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

lol I don't know if any of you are old enough to remember but in the end of the last century all the way into the beginning of the new one there was kind of a loose community of people that were into doing that stuff with tapes. There were a few comedy/musical radio shows on public radio, like the Subgenius Hour, Rev. Suzie, quite a few contributing artists. The Subgenius Hour had lots of people sending in audio collages that had all kind of weird and fun poo poo. I'd recommend their stuff from the 80s-90s, they also got some really weird musical acts that were pretty good. Inciddentally, a lot of them were kind of political and doing humorous or just weird tape splices of Ronald Reagan wouldn't be unheard of.

At this moment I've just dug out an old VST I haven't used in many years, Microdicer from Concrete Effects. Going to have to try autoslicing the Gipper with it too.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 19, 2022

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, I haven't thought about the Subgenius stuff in a bit. Negativland was doing pretty much the same thing around the same time, and were Subgenii themselves. For those who don't know them, they are actually responsible for delineating and defending many of the rights associated with sampling music and fair use that we mostly take for granted. They seemed to make a hobby of trying to get sued by the biggest names possible, including U2, Pepsi, Disney, and their own record label SST.

I'm actually giving a talk on the manipulation of the spoken word in November so if anyone wants to chime in with notable examples I'd be extremely grateful!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh man, I haven't thought about the Subgenius stuff in a bit. Negativland was doing pretty much the same thing around the same time, and were Subgenii themselves. For those who don't know them, they are actually responsible for delineating and defending many of the rights associated with sampling music and fair use that we mostly take for granted. They seemed to make a hobby of trying to get sued by the biggest names possible, including U2, Pepsi, Disney, and their own record label SST.

I'm actually giving a talk on the manipulation of the spoken word in November so if anyone wants to chime in with notable examples I'd be extremely grateful!

Provide a few more details and I'll try. I'd PM you about it but I haven't won yet and I don't have 10$ to buy plat RN.

This contest is rigged, I deserved to win won because I am a winner!

petit choux fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 19, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The church of the subgenius is where I learned that if you take both the red pill and the blue pill you can get really hosed up.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

when i took my intro to sound design class, the very first assignment was to take a 30 minute phone conversation that had been accidentally recorded on a bar answering machine in the 90s and chop it down to 3 minutes of making them say whatever wild poo poo we could. that professor ruled

Trig Discipline posted:

i don't have any specific examples, but i used to be a cam op on some discovery channel reality shows and those were FULL of frankenbytes that were often more noticable than not

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

petit choux posted:

Provide a few more details and I'll try. I'd PM you about it but I haven't won yet and I don't have 10$ to buy plat RN.

Basically it's just a talk about exactly what's going on in this thread - taking a bunch of spoken word and cutting it to say something entirely new, usually in the context of satire. I was planning to talk about Negativland, The Evolution Control Committee, Cassetteboy and my own stuff in the same vein. I think my slot's only about twenty minutes so it's not exactly going to be a deep dive and a lot of it's going to focus on Son of Strelka/Hardcore Prophecy, but I do want to hit the big highlights of the "genre" as a whole before drilling in on my own work.

The "genre" is in quotes because I don't know of a single catchall term for this sort of samplefuckery, but one of the points I'm going to touch on toward the end is that it might be on its way to being a dying art form before it ever became all that popular; the advent of machine learning-based methods increasingly allows people to say anything they want in any voice they want, without hours (or in my case hundreds of hours because I'm weird like that) of cutting, pasting, and tweaking.

Then I'm going to sort of end on what's lost when you do it that way. Doing this kind of audio manipulation is always a negotiation with the source material, where it feels like you're trying to make the story go in a given direction and the source material is fighting back or maybe pointing a different way entirely. The story you end up telling is never what you would have come up with if you just sat down and started typing, and that's kinda the beauty of it.

I'm hoping I can get illustrations done for my new Attenborough thing (https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/attenboroughs-monsters) in time, because for that one I used the Google speech-to-text API to automate the library creation, which is by far the most onerous part of the process. I feel like that's a really cool sort of optimistic "maybe new advances can actually help this sort of audio collage be more accessible to people who want to try it" take-home that will counteract the voice synthesis stuff. Also the main audience will be scientists so I think they'll dig it.

edit: On a side note, I'm a scientist myself and Son of Strelka actually appears on my Google Scholar page because it's been cited in a few academic works.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

petit choux posted:

Hey, I was thinking maybe I can add a couple of pairs of cables to the prize? I've been kinda trying to learn to make cables and I bought a bunch of mil-spec RCA jacks, real nice looking, I could maybe offer a couple pairs of those? It's good practice for me and everybody needs some good cables now and then.

love it! please!!

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

xzzy posted:

I don't even have my rack fully set up, but I figure October is for recording ;)

I've been recording, but mostly to get in the habit and start to piece things together. I am not in this to win it :)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Trig Discipline posted:

Basically it's just a talk about exactly what's going on in this thread - taking a bunch of spoken word and cutting it to say something entirely new, usually in the context of satire. I was planning to talk about Negativland, The Evolution Control Committee, Cassetteboy and my own stuff in the same vein. I think my slot's only about twenty minutes so it's not exactly going to be a deep dive and a lot of it's going to focus on Son of Strelka/Hardcore Prophecy, but I do want to hit the big highlights of the "genre" as a whole before drilling in on my own work.

The "genre" is in quotes because I don't know of a single catchall term for this sort of samplefuckery, but one of the points I'm going to touch on toward the end is that it might be on its way to being a dying art form before it ever became all that popular; the advent of machine learning-based methods increasingly allows people to say anything they want in any voice they want, without hours (or in my case hundreds of hours because I'm weird like that) of cutting, pasting, and tweaking.

Then I'm going to sort of end on what's lost when you do it that way. Doing this kind of audio manipulation is always a negotiation with the source material, where it feels like you're trying to make the story go in a given direction and the source material is fighting back or maybe pointing a different way entirely. The story you end up telling is never what you would have come up with if you just sat down and started typing, and that's kinda the beauty of it.

I'm hoping I can get illustrations done for my new Attenborough thing (https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/attenboroughs-monsters) in time, because for that one I used the Google speech-to-text API to automate the library creation, which is by far the most onerous part of the process. I feel like that's a really cool sort of optimistic "maybe new advances can actually help this sort of audio collage be more accessible to people who want to try it" take-home that will counteract the voice synthesis stuff. Also the main audience will be scientists so I think they'll dig it.

edit: On a side note, I'm a scientist myself and Son of Strelka actually appears on my Google Scholar page because it's been cited in a few academic works.

Oh wow, thanks for the detailed answer. And I didn't know you were a scientist, I'll try to be a little more careful next time!

I've given this an awful lot of thought, but instead of focusing on the potential of this little medium, being an art school dropout I was focused on the historical and artistic precedent. Our big thing back then was comparing the medium of audio collage to precedent in the visual arts, particularly Kurt Schwitters, Robert Rauschenberg, all the best of the guys and dolls that worked with "found material" in the early 20th C and did a lot to shape the visual arts. Pop art, and of course you may recall that the subgenius people called their art "Bulldada," so a lot of reverence for the most irreverent genre ever to have existed.

But there was also a lot of easy and substantial "artistic" precedent in the political recordings (ED: I think my recollection was a little unclear. Now that I'm remembering them a little bit better, they were not usually political so much as about hot topics for the time, sometimes political.) Not that it's of much significance nowadays but I'm 60 and when I was a little boy I used to love that tacky stuff, it was probably from a very small number of people, It was really lowbrow, but it was basically audio political cartoons using samples taken from virtually anywhere. I bet the people doing it have documented their efforts to some extent. I recall made-up interviews with political (ED: and celebrities) figures where they took all the answers from utterances popular in the media, played in a humorous context. It was really about as lowbrow as political cartooning typically goes. But prior to Morning Zoo type shows, there would be loud, obnoxious DJs in the booth having fun and playing goofy poo poo like that. It was full of the most popular soundbytes and memes that the "artists" could find. It was something along these lines: a fictional newscaster is interviewing Jimmy Carter and Jaws the movie has just come out and everybody is crazy to go see Jaws. So they ask the president how he feels about his polls, and his response is the guy from jaws saying "we need a bigger boat" or something, ka-kow. So pretty much the level of intellect you'd find in a lot of Twitter reaction videos. And it really worked for 6-year old me with my first tape recorder. And it was really effective at spreading memes and political biases.

The thing I'd maybe suggest, since you're a professor and all, would be maybe a little Ken Nordine. He did not work with audio recordings beyond his own voice, and his big thing was reworking words, phrases and ideas into different contexts. I'm sure you'll remember him if you hear him, he was one of the most popular voiceover people in advertising in the 80s-90s. The act of de- and re-contextualizing words or phrases and the resulting sweet confusion is one of the biggest parts of it, and what made Ken so amusing, in addition to his good voice. (just look up Ken Nordine on Youtube, maybe try "word jazz."

But I just went off on my hobby horse a little bit there. I might have some more useful suggestions but I had to get that off my chest. Cheers

ED: I think my description of the tape editing things above was mostly accurate but they weren't mostly political. I do recall some being specifically political but mostly they were about popular topics.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 20, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Just goofing around before I go mow the lawn:

https://soundcloud.com/tangible_animal_6/quagmiredeals-008

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

petit choux posted:

Oh wow, thanks for the detailed answer. And I didn't know you were a scientist, I'll try to be a little more careful next time!

I've given this an awful lot of thought, but instead of focusing on the potential of this little medium, being an art school dropout I was focused on the historical and artistic precedent. Our big thing back then was comparing the medium of audio collage to precedent in the visual arts, particularly Kurt Schwitters, Robert Rauschenberg, all the best of the guys and dolls that worked with "found material" in the early 20th C and did a lot to shape the visual arts. Pop art, and of course you may recall that the subgenius people called their art "Bulldada," so a lot of reverence for the most irreverent genre ever to have existed.

But there was also a lot of easy and substantial "artistic" precedent in the political recordings (ED: I think my recollection was a little unclear. Now that I'm remembering them a little bit better, they were not usually political so much as about hot topics for the time, sometimes political.) Not that it's of much significance nowadays but I'm 60 and when I was a little boy I used to love that tacky stuff, it was probably from a very small number of people, It was really lowbrow, but it was basically audio political cartoons using samples taken from virtually anywhere. I bet the people doing it have documented their efforts to some extent. I recall made-up interviews with political (ED: and celebrities) figures where they took all the answers from utterances popular in the media, played in a humorous context. It was really about as lowbrow as political cartooning typically goes. But prior to Morning Zoo type shows, there would be loud, obnoxious DJs in the booth having fun and playing goofy poo poo like that. It was full of the most popular soundbytes and memes that the "artists" could find. It was something along these lines: a fictional newscaster is interviewing Jimmy Carter and Jaws the movie has just come out and everybody is crazy to go see Jaws. So they ask the president how he feels about his polls, and his response is the guy from jaws saying "we need a bigger boat" or something, ka-kow. So pretty much the level of intellect you'd find in a lot of Twitter reaction videos. And it really worked for 6-year old me with my first tape recorder. And it was really effective at spreading memes and political biases.

The thing I'd maybe suggest, since you're a professor and all, would be maybe a little Ken Nordine. He did not work with audio recordings beyond his own voice, and his big thing was reworking words, phrases and ideas into different contexts. I'm sure you'll remember him if you hear him, he was one of the most popular voiceover people in advertising in the 80s-90s. The act of de- and re-contextualizing words or phrases and the resulting sweet confusion is one of the biggest parts of it, and what made Ken so amusing, in addition to his good voice. (just look up Ken Nordine on Youtube, maybe try "word jazz."

But I just went off on my hobby horse a little bit there. I might have some more useful suggestions but I had to get that off my chest. Cheers

ED: I think my description of the tape editing things above was mostly accurate but they weren't mostly political. I do recall some being specifically political but mostly they were about popular topics.

Oh this is awesome info, thanks! It's still two months away so I do have a bit of time to look back into this stuff a bit. My biggest issue is going to be fitting the hour's worth of stuff I want to say and show into the twenty or so minutes I'll actually have.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Trig Discipline posted:

william burroughs weaponized a similar idea in the same medium to make dark, very halloween, beat nick curses

https://www.openculture.com/2014/12/how-william-s-burroughs-shut-down-londons-first-espresso-bar-1972.html

quote:

There, “on several occasions a snarling counterman had treated him with outrageous and unprovoked discourtesy, and served him poisonous cheesecake that made him sick.” Burroughs “decided to retaliate by putting a curse on the place.” He chose a means of attack that he’d earlier employed against the Church of Scientology, “turning up… every day,” writes Watts, “taking photographs and making sound recordings.” Then he would play them back a day or so later on the street outside the Moka. “The idea,” writes Morgan, “was to place the Moka Bar out of time. You played back a tape that had taken place two days ago and you superimposed it on what was happening now, which pulled them out of their time position.”

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Oh man, I've been getting back into Subgenius the last week or two. Found out Stang ended the show this summer with obits. :smith: Highly recommend the Lonesome Cowboy Dave in Space episode if anyone hasn't heard it yet.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

So Math posted:

Oh man, I've been getting back into Subgenius the last week or two. Found out Stang ended the show this summer with obits. :smith: Highly recommend the Lonesome Cowboy Dave in Space episode if anyone hasn't heard it yet.

Oh wow, so the show is over. So sad. I was a big fan of Dave and Hal too. Hal, ICYDK, was the voice of the scientist in the original Half Life. He was in incredibly funny guy.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I think I am going to be using this speech, or just bits of it. I'm having a problem listening to him RN because Trump makes him sound so intelligent and reasonable by comparison.

https://soundcloud.com/tangible_animal_6/dsp15-stems

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

So Math posted:

God drat... I've been listening to the Hour of Slack off and on since I gave the church my $30 back in 1998. I still have the membership card in my wallet.

It's the only church that offers eternal salvation, or TRIPLE your money back!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I came up with a beat the past few days and now it's stuck in my head. Good? Bad? Time will tell but either way I feel committed to the goofy road I've started down.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I spent like $350 on a loopman; how could I not also do this?

this one is even more amazing because Newsmax made it, on cassette, in 2005. Know your audience, I guess!

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 23, 2022

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cabbages and Kings posted:

this one is even more amazing because Newsmax made it, on cassette, in 2005. Know your audience, I guess!

I am really hoping this is just a C90 tape of Reagan purely laughing, chortling and occasionally giving a sensible chuckle.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I spent like $350 on a loopman; how could I not also do this?

Great minds think alike, mate, I don't have a pic RN but that link I posted above is recorded from a cassette from the ministry of evangelist Billy Ray Hargis, and has no copyright markings of any kind. It appears to be Reagan's address to his congregation in 82-3. And just for a nice little soundbyte, listen to the first few seconds. Anybody's welcome to use it.

Oh, and I have acquired some very nice raw cable for those cables I'm going to be giving away, some of this woven housing. You can have any color you like, so long as it's black.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This was linked on the M8 discord, it's a weird sample matching tool that parses a directory of samples and tries to find matches among them that "fit" a single sample you load into it. That is if you were to happen to load a synth melody as your source and have it chew on a directory of reagan's voice clips (and a lot of slider wiggling) you can get something like this:

https://soundcloud.com/mrxzzy/reagan-samplebrain/s-Q5IixL0s6CP?si=13500d61e6634e83b6d4a1ef8808424f

The tool is designed by apex twin and has no documentation so you're gonna have to play around with it: https://gitlab.com/then-try-this/samplebrain

It feels best used when you let it record while you mess with controls, then pull interesting moments out of the recording. Regardless, it's fun.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'm just going to have to abandon all hope and dash something together with VSTIs. Maybe next time, and I want there to be more of these, I'll have my poo poo together better but I've been going cray cray over having apparently the first good keyboard in my life, and I've stopped doing anything with the pocket operators for a bit now in favor of my first keyboard with aftertouch.

ED: No, I'm just going to have to go with the 10/31 deadline is all. I just don't have it very together yet.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 25, 2022

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

petit choux posted:

I'm just going to have to abandon all hope and dash something together with VSTIs. Maybe next time, and I want there to be more of these, I'll have my poo poo together better but I've been going cray cray over having apparently the first good keyboard in my life, and I've stopped doing anything with the pocket operators for a bit now in favor of my first keyboard with aftertouch.

ED: No, I'm just going to have to go with the 10/31 deadline is all. I just don't have it very together yet.

to be very clear the 9/31 deadline was just for people to commit, and the 10/31 deadline is for submissions. I figure I'll put up a voting thread on 11/1 or so?

in the interests of encouraging engagement without detracting from the current pool, I'll pony up an additional $20 for "best voted overall", paving the way for someone who didn't play the toxx game to swoop in with a last minute submission, without detriment to anyone who toxx'd. I will add this to the OP at some point some, or as we roll into October. This also means people who played the toxx game are potentially able to win another $20.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

petit choux posted:

I'm just going to have to abandon all hope and dash something together with VSTIs.

That's what I did for my submission below. I didn't use very many samples, but I'm still pretty new at sampling and not very confident about my sampling skills.

:toxx: submission : https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/we-begin-bombing-in-five-minutes

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 25, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dang it looks like I forgot to FOLLOW THE RULES.

:toxx: I will submit something to this contest by 12pm midnight GMT on 10/31/2022, which meets the criteria explained above.

I fixed the typo though because that's just how I live.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

gently caress it, I've got a verse done and a chorus coming together. I can put a minute's worth of noise up on soundcloud and feel fine about it even if I don't get much else done

:toxx: I will submit something to this contest by 12pm midnight GMT on 10/31/2022, which meets the criteria explained above.

unlike my bernie socialism or barbarism toxx, there's no way I can fail this one

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I completed a modular reagan jam so i can tox now. Sure hope i don't have to submit that track, hopefully I'll crank out like 10 more and one will be decent.

e: i guess this can be my submission for now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzaJ1aqyTrs. will replace it many times most likely. Super classy set up of: youtube on phone -> clouds. Want to throw a pocket operator in here next time. [1]

e2: another one, maybe better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdVyDOoHWfY. [2]

e3: another another one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrQdaYeTpHE [2]

sample sources:
[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxHBx6H-xFo Ronald Reagan: "Marijuana... is probably the most dangerous drug"
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIi2kLGC44s President Reagan's Remarks to the American Foundation for AIDS Research May 31, 1987

CatBlack fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 26, 2022

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I've been out of town but should be back home in a couple weeks so...

I'll be dedicating my spare time next month to learn how to use my Digitakt more so I think I can have something half way decent to submit for the contest!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

May be of interest to some for this challenge - Dave Griffiths and Aphex Twin just released this weird spectral morphing/mashing sample tool for free. It takes a target sample and a collection of ‘brain’ samples and tries to fit the sound of the brain to the target, but with varying user designed block sizes and analysis algorithms and such.

https://gitlab.com/then-try-this/samplebrain

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

toadee posted:

May be of interest to some for this challenge - Dave Griffiths and Aphex Twin just released this weird spectral morphing/mashing sample tool for free. It takes a target sample and a collection of ‘brain’ samples and tries to fit the sound of the brain to the target, but with varying user designed block sizes and analysis algorithms and such.

https://gitlab.com/then-try-this/samplebrain

cool, yeah, somebody just mentioned it above, may have to look into it.

I'm here to announce that we need to rename this challenge to the Reagan Synth Revolution Challenge and I'm going forward with that on all fronts. And I think we should probably do something like this once a quarter, and not require that they be effort pieces. I mean I had a great time just running a speech through Stutter Edit last night and had a lot of fun. I suddenly realized I can put an arp in front of Stutter Edit while he talks, some good clean fun here by gosh.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

petit choux posted:

cool, yeah, somebody just mentioned it above, may have to look into it.

I'm here to announce that we need to rename this challenge to the Reagan Synth Revolution Challenge and I'm going forward with that on all fronts. And I think we should probably do something like this once a quarter, and not require that they be effort pieces. I mean I had a great time just running a speech through Stutter Edit last night and had a lot of fun. I suddenly realized I can put an arp in front of Stutter Edit while he talks, some good clean fun here by gosh.

oops, totally missed it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

toadee posted:

oops, totally missed it!

No, redundancy is good! I will look into it now that two people have posted it here.