Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How should voting be handled?
This poll is closed.
Select a panel of 3-5 judges from common community members or mods 6 27.27%
Community voting, any SA user can vote 14 63.64%
Other, explain below 2 9.09%
Total: 22 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

That's my CSPAM roots showing. A post is at worst a bump for the thread. And now look, we're up to 4 pages!

And BTW, Cabbages and Kings, I have been listening to Reagan speaking for the first time in years, and it's been very instructive, even if I didn't ever do anything with the audio. And thinking about him compared to Trump a little bit. So thanks, and I'm okay with doing this more often.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As I was staring at waveforms of his voice cutting out clips it was interesting to start to key into the way he spoke. I've never listened to a person talk in that detail before. One common example was when looking for a clear sample of him saying "the" or any other connecting type words. Super common word, gets used constantly. But he always rushed through pronouncing it and if there was another connecting word (say, "of the" or "have the") they were badly mushed/slurred together. Isolate that clip and it was indecipherable mush but expand the selection to include more context and it was super clear to me what he was saying, the "the" always sounded clear and legible.

I assume all of us do the same thing we just don't hear it because our brains are used to hearing entire sentences and does appropriate filtering.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Yeah, it was really hard to find a clear "and" to shift into a different sentence. That aside, his very measured way of speaking for formal events and speeches is really good for chopping up other than that.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

xzzy posted:

As I was staring at waveforms of his voice cutting out clips it was interesting to start to key into the way he spoke. I've never listened to a person talk in that detail before. One common example was when looking for a clear sample of him saying "the" or any other connecting type words. Super common word, gets used constantly. But he always rushed through pronouncing it and if there was another connecting word (say, "of the" or "have the") they were badly mushed/slurred together. Isolate that clip and it was indecipherable mush but expand the selection to include more context and it was super clear to me what he was saying, the "the" always sounded clear and legible.

I assume all of us do the same thing we just don't hear it because our brains are used to hearing entire sentences and does appropriate filtering.

Yeah, as a paid transcriber for years, it's extremely common. And Reagan threw in all these little signature things. I've been noticing this little quaver in his voice he throws in for effect. He really was a well-accomplished actor.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

petit choux posted:

No, redundancy is good! I will look into it now that two people have posted it here.

Well, for some related content then, here's some snips of stuff I got while playing around with it!

https://vocaroo.com/152h2KqlhruO
https://vocaroo.com/1cERyUW8foVR

Both of these are using "Drugs are menacing our society" as a "brain" and a short snippet of weird audio from Japanese Television that I got from an old Bogdan Raczynski MOD.

There's definitely a lot more to the tool to be had for sure. General tips Ive gleaned from playing around with it are: Block Size of the Target has a HUGE impact on what kind of thing you're going to get. Tiny block size(~200 or so) gives you audiorate mishmash, whereas very large block sizes will get you recognizable repeating snippets of the audio from the brain and rhythm from the target. The other sliders have much more subtle effects, it's very tough so far for me to tell what algorithm and such will produce until I try it.

edit: Also feel free if something in those strikes your fancy to use it!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Right, gotta say the magic words.

:toxx: I will submit something to this contest by 12pm midnight GMT on 10/31/2022, which meets the criteria explained above.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Current Toxx List with three days left to commit:
Cabbages & Kings
petit choux
toadee
im_sorry
Papa Was A Video Toaster
Danger - Octopus!
duck.exe
CaptainViolence
Pollyanna
Wrangeowrapper
So Math
xzzy
The Voice of Labor
CatBlack
Coolneezzz

Didn't Toxx but submitted by deadline (:raise:)
B33rChiller

Pretty good. it would be nice to have 20 people locked in before the deadline, but I'm gonna say we're close enough that I am committed to 3 prize payouts:
Best (Toxx'd / pre deadline) Track with Recognizable Reagan
$20

Best (Toxx'd / pre deadline) Track with Secret Reagan (no one working on this now afaik?) $20

Best by overall number of votes, which may pay out to a winner of other categories $20

Additionally petit choux has some nice multi colored (black) cables they are offering!!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm going to say that B33rChiller's anti-fun take on toxxing throws me for a loop because they submitted before the deadline anyway, but refused to toxx.

I will be DMing CSPAM mod Calibinal to resolve this issue, and their decision will be binding as it is in all things.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I will be DMing CSPAM mod Calibinal to resolve this issue, and their decision will be binding as it is in all things.

LOL tell him the Trumo thread misses him for me

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
FYI I intend to submit to both Reagans.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

STREAMING NEWSMAX.COM 2005 CASSETTE, "REAGAN'S GREATEST HITS" OVER A FAIRLY lovely SET OF BUMPS AND DRONES

YOUR CHANCE TO ENGAGE WITH THIS CUTTING EDGE CONTENT

https://twitch.tv/suboptimalsynthesis

e: my god this tape is hilariously bad, reagan clips interspersed with a midwest drawl newsmax commentator

this is as painful as the drone

my head is vibrating with beads and reagan

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 30, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

STREAMING NEWSMAX.COM 2005 CASSETTE, "REAGAN'S GREATEST HITS" OVER A FAIRLY lovely SET OF BUMPS AND DRONES

SAD!! I WILL HEAD UP GROUP??

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

petit choux posted:

SAD!! I WILL HEAD UP GROUP??

i'm learning some poo poo about beads and my new KSP anyway <3

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

reagandidit

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Oh, I didn't intend to be anti fun. I just wanted to take part in the music making without competing. I don't toxx on philosophical grounds, but this was a really neat idea, and very inspiring.
I'm not in need of prizes. I only needed the idea as a prompt.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We postin' sketches this weekend? Cause I was having fun with a new sample I glued together.

https://soundcloud.com/mrxzzy/tricky/s-rcpPK8YW417?si=397b0bebe6e04c01b039843f26a6cfda

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Last minute toxxers, I'm excited to see your bad rear end tox posts. Getting in there just before the final hour is a cool move.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

xzzy posted:

We postin' sketches this weekend? Cause I was having fun with a new sample I glued together.

https://soundcloud.com/mrxzzy/tricky/s-rcpPK8YW417?si=397b0bebe6e04c01b039843f26a6cfda
I really like the texture/timbre of your bass line. Ooh yeah.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
" :toxx: I will submit something to this context by 12pm midnight GMT on 10/31/2022, which meets the criteria explained above".

Sigh

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

Oh, I didn't intend to be anti fun. I just wanted to take part in the music making without competing. I don't toxx on philosophical grounds, but this was a really neat idea, and very inspiring.
I'm not in need of prizes. I only needed the idea as a prompt.

it's all good :D I am just happy for participation and was being a bit silly.

i finally had an actual idea come to my head, and i have a month to mess with it, so that's the direction i'm headed. it involves me singing, which, uh. people familiar with my COVID midi tracks know how well that usually goes :allears:

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

" :toxx: I will submit something to this context by 12pm midnight GMT on 10/31/2022, which meets the criteria explained above".

Sigh
:nice:

this is also funny because you sneaked in in the weird window where it was already 10/1 in MY timezone, but not everywhere :)

Toxx cutoff has been reached, but, anyone just tuning in now, you're still eligable for "best overall". Also I have decided all prize winners and maybe even all entrants get a jpg of a UNIQUE cat drawn by me. They won't be NFTs, highly fungible cats, and they may or may not have more than 30 seconds put into them.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 1, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

cat drawings tied to bit cringe

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

it's all good :D I am just happy for participation and was being a bit silly.

i finally had an actual idea come to my head, and i have a month to mess with it, so that's the direction i'm headed. it involves me singing, which, uh. people familiar with my COVID midi tracks know how well that usually goes :allears:

this is also funny because you sneaked in in the weird window where it was already 10/1 in MY timezone, but not everywhere :)

Toxx cutoff has been reached, but, anyone just tuning in now, you're still eligable for "best overall". Also I have decided all prize winners and maybe even all entrants get a jpg of a UNIQUE cat drawn by me. They won't be NFTs, highly fungible cats, and they may or may not have more than 30 seconds put into them.

I've found the trick to cat drawings is to lay a piece of paper on the floor, let the cat lie down on it, then trace the cat.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

All good Cabs'nKs. Figured I should clarify.

petit choux posted:

I've found the trick to cat drawings is to lay a piece of paper on the floor, let the cat lie down on it, then trace the cat.

I just use my cameraphone.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

petit choux posted:

I prefer to start with $150 magic cards and go to town with paint pens and a child's sensibilities

(when I did this one it was only like a $20 card, and, hilariously, now that I've turned all my playable MTG stuff into a combination of debt-elimination and synths, this is probably the most valuable card I own, except for the cat which makes it priceless in more ways than one)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Well the cat is more likely to hold still doing it your way I admit

Or chew on the pencil

petit choux fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 2, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

e: my god this tape is hilariously bad, reagan clips interspersed with a midwest drawl newsmax commentator

this is as painful as the drone

my head is vibrating with beads and reagan

Getting nice and heavy

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

petit choux posted:

Getting nice and heavy

if these were Reagan's greatest jokes I don't wanna hear the outtakes

how many "dems in disarray" jokes can you make before even CSPAM brain goes :rolleyes:? The answer was less than I expected

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

if these were Reagan's greatest jokes I don't wanna hear the outtakes

how many "dems in disarray" jokes can you make before even CSPAM brain goes :rolleyes:? The answer was less than I expected

Same generation as Bob Hope, basically same approach to humor. The speech I put up, he made uncomfortable throat-clearing noises while waiting for the laughter to die down a couple times or more, it sounded like. Nothing unnatural but it still gave it an especially eerie feeling. Also on one occasion he waited for the applause that didn't come and you could tell he was disappointed, but not angry. Oh, and the only funny bit is in the very beginning, where the announcer starts getting feedback while he's introducing the president and gets really angry during the last 6 words or so. And yet it felt so right somehow.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
some inspiration

Andrew Eldritch posted:

What do we need to make our world come alive
What does it take to make us sing
While we're waiting for the next one to arrive
One million points of light
One billion dollar Vision Thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0NV_0aLmiA

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

I prefer to start with $150 magic cards and go to town with paint pens and a child's sensibilities

(when I did this one it was only like a $20 card, and, hilariously, now that I've turned all my playable MTG stuff into a combination of debt-elimination and synths, this is probably the most valuable card I own, except for the cat which makes it priceless in more ways than one)

this is how custom cards are done

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

CatBlack posted:

this is how custom cards are done

oh yes I was working on a whole EDH deck, which I may eventually finish

https://surrakandthetemurcats.tumblr.com/

this is both my favorite and the thing that got me some redemption on reddit when I dared post them there. Juvenile, yes.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

I know it sounds like guitar rock but that is no human drummer, that is a Boss DR-55 drum machine named, uh, it says here, "Doktor Avalanche"

a bit dramatic, our Andrew

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Kesper North posted:

I know it sounds like guitar rock but that is no human drummer, that is a Boss DR-55 drum machine named, uh, it says here, "Doktor Avalanche"

a bit dramatic, our Andrew

it's the drama I crave, inject it into my veins. Also I did not know that about the DR-55, that's awesome. I haven't listened to SoM in several years, but as soon as I saw the name, "Temple of Love" started blasting through my brain, just like the 80s child who grew up on college radio that I am. That sound and "Nemesis" by Shriekback are forever entwined in my mind as creating a certain feeling of "powerful depression".

I wish I could find info on how Nemesis specific is instrumented. Found this
https://shriekbackmusic.tumblr.com/post/117782070802/throwback-thursday-big-electric-energy

quote:

The Shriekback of old was, by their own admission, chaotic and experimental. They were machine-men, dabbling with drum computers and Fairlights, every song a loose sketch from backing track to overdub. And live, it was jam science.

But the Shriekback that stormed Australia with a high octane live set and the cruisy cocktail-style album, Big Night Music, in March was a different kettle of…fish. (Alas, little light was shed on their strange preoccupation with deep sea creatures in our post-gig interview).

They are now a band intent on cracking the mainstream, getting their powerful live sound onto vinyl and dispensing with as much machinery as possible in the process.

They’ve been streamlining the human element, too. When they hit the cultish London circuit in 1981 with the mini-album, Tench, they were six-piece. By the following year, they were three – Barry Andrews (vocals/keyboards; ex-XTC, Robert Fripp’s League of Gentlemen), David Allen (bass; ex-Gang of Four) and Carl Marsh (guitar).

Imagine being able to dabble with a Fairlight in 2022. A real one, I mean.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

it's the drama I crave, inject it into my veins. Also I did not know that about the DR-55, that's awesome. I haven't listened to SoM in several years, but as soon as I saw the name, "Temple of Love" started blasting through my brain, just like the 80s child who grew up on college radio that I am. That sound and "Nemesis" by Shriekback are forever entwined in my mind as creating a certain feeling of "powerful depression".

I wish I could find info on how Nemesis specific is instrumented. Found this
https://shriekbackmusic.tumblr.com/post/117782070802/throwback-thursday-big-electric-energy

Imagine being able to dabble with a Fairlight in 2022. A real one, I mean.

"Powerful depression" is an apt turn of phrase. :golfclap: I've been listening to it a lot the last few years as I reflect on how "evil is an exact science, being carefully correctly wrong" has been writ large on the world, and watching my country's actions in the world and thinking...

We drink elixirs that we refine
From the juices of the dying
We are no monsters, we're moral people
And yet we have the strength to do this
This is the splendor of our achievement
Call in the air strike with a poison kiss

Your query got me googling and I turned up a couple more hints.

More on the Fairlight and subsequent improvements:

https://shriekbackmusic.tumblr.com/post/98379158682/the-80s-some-points-to-bear-in-mind

More on Nemesis specifically:

quote:

The music was seamless to the visuals. While “Nemesis” had some of the signatures of the soon-to-be vogue “industrial” — a wall-of-sound synth and a determinedly thumping beat — the song crafted these elements in an altogether different way. Rather than a drum machine, Nemesis relied upon the real-life, oddly-assorted percussion instruments of Martyn Barker. The overarching synth was blended with the killer combo of Carl Marsh’s lead guitar (a sound like Godzilla wails) and the delicious slap-funk base of Dave Allen. Throw into this heady stew the one-and-only oracle voice of Barry Andrews, and you had something approaching alchemy.

Source: https://www.popmatters.com/shriekback-and-me-2496165479.html

I have to confess I enjoy this cover by the Joy Thieves, which (tragically unlike the original) is on Spotify:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teiAjaP4xVo

God is not mocked, he owns our business
Karma could take us at any moment
Cover him up, I think we're finished
You know it's never been so exotic
But I don't know, my dreams are visions
We could still end up with the great big fishes

As an aside, have you considered just writing them and asking? They seem to be Extremely Online, so they might answer random fan questions.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 5, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the first thing that comes to mind when shriekback comes up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oupGA_QVVUE

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
OK, I've got some sources off of archive.org, and a hell of a title. Let's see if I can put something together over the weekend.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Anybody get his testimony before HUAC?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Kesper North posted:

As an aside, have you considered just writing them and asking? They seem to be Extremely Online, so they might answer random fan questions.

that is a cool cover and also a good idea, I just emailed them.

petit choux posted:

Anybody get his testimony before HUAC?

it is annoying to me that there are several youtube clips which imply the existence of a longer recording, but I cannot locate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Kesper North posted:

:staredog: they replied in like, an hour

quote:

fair enough
drum machine is a Linn Drum (the original not the 9000)
all synths are the Roland Jupiter 8
actually maybe the bass is a Yamaha DX1 - not sure
thanks for caring
best wishes
BA

"What are 3 machines I'll never own"? :laugh: