Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How should voting be handled?
This poll is closed.
Select a panel of 3-5 judges from common community members or mods 6 27.27%
Community voting, any SA user can vote 14 63.64%
Other, explain below 2 9.09%
Total: 22 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

petit choux posted:

:same: This machine shreds fascists:

Extremely same

I make dorky industrial bleeps so sure :toxx: I will submit something to this context by 12pm midnight GMT on 10/31/2022, which meets the criteria explained above

Not sure what Reagan weirdness to sample. I miiiiight use a specific bit of the evil empire speech in the OP that would work but we shall see what YT has to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

The Voice of Labor posted:

lol ambient dj nerds. I guess if I post one Imma have to post a youtube video of my daw playing back tracks

hey wait that's a question actually. Is it ok just to post a soundcloud or similar link to audio when we're done?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cabbages and Kings posted:

this one is even more amazing because Newsmax made it, on cassette, in 2005. Know your audience, I guess!

I am really hoping this is just a C90 tape of Reagan purely laughing, chortling and occasionally giving a sensible chuckle.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Yeah, it was really hard to find a clear "and" to shift into a different sentence. That aside, his very measured way of speaking for formal events and speeches is really good for chopping up other than that.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

I haven’t done anything for this yet. :shepface:

Haven’t heard any other submissions either. I have some ideas about what I want to make, but I don’t have the education or experience to pull it off well so it’s gonna be godawful. If it’s alright, I wanna post my current thoughts. Under spoilers so no one is unduly influenced by what I want to make.

I find it interesting that we’re getting a prompt about Reagan and spooky-scary-season alongside synthesizers and samples (including sampled speech). From everything I know about electronic history at the time, all of these elements veered close to each other but never quite converged on a single point, so welding them all together is gonna take some synthesis (:v:) of contemporary genres and sounds.

This is also going to be tonally interesting, complex, and honestly difficult. Reagan and the poo poo he kicked off conjures up an angry, explosive, and spiteful mood in me. Halloween, on the other hand, is a cold, quickly-darkening season full of dread, horror, and anxiety - so I associate it with a heavier, darker, more lethargic mindset (plus more than a little anxiety). These are somewhat opposing energies. I have no idea how to communicate both resentful rage and plodding despair at the same time, and I’ve never really seen it happen in electronic genres either. Darkwave is the closest thing I can think of, but it’s too high energy and doesn’t really make use of sampled speech.

I hate to say this, but the best example I can immediately draw from is early Nine Inch Nails :shobon:

In the meantime, I’m gonna try exploring these genres and pull from them:

- Industrial
- Breakbeat
- Darkwave
- Gothic rock
- Dark electro

And I’d love band suggestions!

Skinny Puppy, if I was reccomending something old. Worlock is prob the most obvious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDEhCm0pxCo.

For something more recent, Randolph and Mortimer are amazing and build a lot of their tracks around speech samples. https://randolphandmortimer.bandcamp.com/album/manifesto-for-a-modern-world They are definitely angry and despairing.

Edit: for an OG industrial band - check out the track GBH84 by Test Dept here, using the speech samples to make a clear statement of what the track is about. https://testdept.bandcamp.com/track/gbh84

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 10, 2022

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Okay I am done (well alright, I could have spent longer but the next couple of weeks will be crazy busy) so here is my finished submission and it is very much in the Identifiable Reagan category.

https://soundcloud.com/trellickindustrial/if-necessary-by-force/s-WLHwRqeLALe?si=747599eeb5c043e7b99e2e35ff68f40c

For the curious, the synths used are a Moog Werkstatt & DFAM as well as Phosycon 2 VST and one of Ableton's stock instruments.

Edit: I just lifted a bunch of samples from speeches here, because the transcripts on a lot of them made it easy to find phrases I liked. So there's samples from a bunch of those (definitely his address to the british parliament in 1982 and some others) as well as the 'evil empire' speech and a couple of movie samples from The Voice of Labor's set.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 12, 2022

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

I think I'm done. I don't know what I'm doing.. but I did it anyways. It's guaranteed I sit on it for a day and decide something needs tweaked so maybe this will force me to live with my mistakes.

https://soundcloud.com/mrxzzy/trickle-down-beat

Aw hell yeah

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

I have such an enormous folder of reagan voice clips now that when I'm messing with audio I point it at that just because it's there and I'll "put in proper samples later." I was only supposed to make one song with reagan!

I stupidly did all my browsing for speeches to sample in a normal browser tab and my youtube reccommendations are so incredibly hosed for now, it's not even funny :v:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I kind of want to make a track with Nixon samples now tbh

I've made a couple of tracks with samples of British politicians over the last two years, so this is like a nice refreshing change haha

Wrageowrapper posted:

I thought I would try my hand at an unrecognisable Reagan and made this dark ambient track.
https://soundcloud.com/user-128663089/dinner-with-an-atheist

hell yes this

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cabbages and Kings posted:

we could just progressively work our way back through lovely presidents until we run out of "people who existed when audio recording did". And skipping Ford and Carter is maybe reasonable because afaik Carter was more ineffective than lovely and the worst thing Ford did was pardon Nixon?

https://lib.msu.edu/vvl/presidents/harrison/

So back to 1889! :v:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

Don't apologize for making art. Just have fun and make it for your own ears. Then put it out there because it costs nothing to do and maybe someone else will enjoy it.

:emptyquote: x100

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Extremely sexy, great makeout music

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

:pcgaming:

What was the bassline (the acid-y stuff) made by? The DFAM? What modulation/processing/FX? I love the hosed up growly poo poo you did to it, that plus still being squelchy af is :hmmyes:

yessss thanks! The bassline that's there from the start is actually two separately recorded patches on the Werkstatt playing the same melody - when it starts getting that metallic/distorted sound going on, that's the second patch you're hearing being brought up over the first. They do both get tweaked a bit as it goes on but most of the shifting in the bassline is acutally just changes in which patch is louder. Modulation, honestly I can't remember because I was just loving around and got a sound I really liked. The only fx on that is a little bit of compression, overdrive and delay/reverb all in Ableton tho. I think I might have a photo of the patches somewhere :v: The werkstatt is really fun, I need to spend more time with it because all I've really used it for is basslines.
The DFAM is the rhythmic noisy thing that comes in from 30 seconds onwards. If you're meaning the acid line that kicks in at 20 seconds or so tho, that's the Phosycon 2 VST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Kesper North posted:

we are dumb, panicky animals who are easily led by a strong voice and a firm handshake

Jokes on you, I'm a pasty internet nerd shut-in who gets a bit sweaty and panicky at the prospect of physical contact, and a firm handshake is my kryptonite. Hence my posting in a synth challenge thread, obviously.

It was a fun challenge, thanks for getting thinking this up Cabbages and Kings, and all the other folk who threw down some Reagan vibes.