Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which is the best slogan?
Brotherhood. Unity. Peace.
Peace Through Power
Kane Lives In Death
Rule of thumb, Hassan. You can't kill the Messiah.
View Results

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
*Update on prior page*

Tiberium Wars Intel Database #21

Tacitus Destabilized? posted:

Unlocked: Tacitus Regained, automatic

Intercepted GDI Transmission regarding secret Tacitus Research

To: Dr. Johan Hannes-Schmidt, Director of Tacitus Research, [Location Redacted]

From: Theodore M. Bynes, Director, Department of Covert R&D, Washington DC, USA

Johan,

Firstly, let me state that I have every level of respect for the excellence and professionalism of you and your staff. There is no finer research team operating in this country, if not the world. Now, with that said, I have some major concerns regarding your most recent enterprise. Simply put, the latest reports from your facility regarding the Tacitus' stability disturb me - and the Council - to no end.

To hear that the device is estimated as having a 15% chance of self-destruction, with the chance increasing with each test run, is just not acceptable. Look, I understand that you are operating in unknown territory here, but I need to be very clear about one thing - if you are doing anything that risks the stability of the Tacitus, anything at all, you must STOP, immediately.

I'm sorry to speak so strongly, but we cannot risk losing the device. Too many people died to secure it, we have no idea how dangerous the Tacitus' destruction would be and, most importantly, there is no way it can be replaced. In short, to risk the device is to risk everything that we've worked to achieve.

I'll be flying out to discuss this with you Monday. Until then, kid gloves.

Sincerely,

Theo

From the Nod Archives

The Awakened posted:

Details on the Nod Awakened Cyborg Infantry

In the aftermath of his loss in the First Tiberium War, Kane tasked several of his most trusted followers with a project of utmost secrecy - to create an army entirely devoid of free will - one that would obey the Prophet's will without question or conscience. Cloistered away in the wastelands of central Asia, these scientists spent the ensuing decades pursuing that goal, the first results of which became visible with the Cyborg Infantry and Commando utilized by CABAL during the Second Tiberium War.

The Awakened are the end product of this research, deceased Nod soldiers mechanically re-animated and controlled via cyber-neurological implant devices linked to central "control nodes" across the globe. Equipped with arm mounted direct-fire weaponry and a high-impact EMP emitter, these emotionless cybernetic warriors are more than capable of tackling anything GDI can throw at them.

From the Nod Archives

The Enlightened posted:

Details on the Nod Enlightened elite Cyborg infantry

The ultimate realization of Kane's vision of an army stripped of its humanity and free will, the Enlightened are truly a horrifying sight to behold. While their weaker brethren, the Awakened, still bear some traces of humanity in their desiccated flesh, the Enlightened are almost entirely cybernetic, the last vestiges of their prior form encased in layers of bone white battle armor, faces concealed behind eyeless masks devoid of human emotion.

Slower than the Awakened, the Enlightened are also considerably more powerful, capable of withstanding multiple hits from a Mammoth Tank without even breaking their stride, before responding in kind with their devastating supercharged particle beam and EMP emitters.

From the Nod Archives

Tiberium Trooper posted:

Details on Nod's Tiberium based short-range combat infantry

With the "defection" of GDI's Dr. Giraud in 2047, Nod's ongoing experiments with Liquid Tiberium have finally begun to bear fruit in the form of portable, battlefield ready weaponry. The Tiberium Trooper is the first Nod combatant to utilize these new armaments. His heavily armored, cybernetically enhanced form is equipped with two large containment tanks and a reinforced spray nozzle, allowing the rapid dispersion of Liquid Tiberium over a large area.

From the Nod Archives

Reaper Tripod posted:

Unlocked: Hearts and Minds, destroy a Reaper Tripod

Details on the heavily mutated Scrin Tripod

Reaper-17 have long displayed a disturbing fascination with the act of excessive Tiberium infusion, an obsession considered both self-destructive and needlessly wasteful by their fellow Scrin. However, for all of the downsides, notably madness and death, the process does have its (albeit disturbing) benefits. The most notable example would be the Reaper Tripod, a horrifically mutated assault tripod equipped with a conversion beam, its bulk form even stronger than the Annihilator employed by the conventional Scrin mining force.

[Source Redacted]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Some more more more more expanded observations of the lore

1. One must wonder what kind of experiments are being done that could de-stabilize the Tacitus.

2. I only now think of Yuri and his army of clones and mind-control powers, creating an army out of the meager resources you have for world domination.

3. So the Enlightened are tougher, that's cool... I wish the names evoke a little more their status rather than just interesting names.

4. *Dr. Thrax quote here*

5. Reaper Tripod = Stronger Tripod, sound alright.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That type of world conquest mode already has trouble when it's only a Total War: Whatever model, but with the small scale stuff being a full on RTS, you need a better abstraction that what they had to begin with.

E: I mean, if the execution for it was competent.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 30, 2023

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
This is, like, a Risk mode? That sounds cool... in theory. Obviously Dark Crusade and Emperor: Battle for Dune did it better.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Hell, even Soulstorm is better put together than this conquest mode, and I mean that as an insult.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
An absolutly hilarious piece of trivia is that there is an official Generals challenge style mode where you face all the subfaction on custom maps. Unfortunately, it was only released as part of the console version of Kane's wrath. PC was stuck with this boondoggle instead.

mr_stibbons fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 30, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Just...
Why?:confused:

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
The explanation given at the time was that they couldn't get the very cool world conquest mode working on console. I'm not sure how true that ever was.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

mr_stibbons posted:

An absolutly hilarious piece of trivia is that there is an official Generals challenge style mode where you face all the subfaction on custom maps. Unfortunately, it was only released as part of the console version of Kane's wrath. PC was stuck with this boondoggle instead.

I... I understand nothing. I am dumber for having read and incorporated this information.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

PurpleXVI posted:

I... I understand nothing. I am dumber for having read and incorporated this information.

Well you see it's a consolation prize for consoles because they couldn't get the vastly superior board game mode that featured what looked like 10 or so mostly predeployed battles over the course of 50 turns working. Getting a series of skirmish maps that highlight each factions strengths as they challenge you to overcome their mighty fortress is a shallow victory compared to what could have been, and is such a let down that it couldn't possibly have been ported over to the PC version.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

FoolyCharged posted:

Well you see it's a consolation prize for consoles because they couldn't get the vastly superior board game mode that featured what looked like 10 or so mostly predeployed battles over the course of 50 turns working. Getting a series of skirmish maps that highlight each factions strengths as they challenge you to overcome their mighty fortress is a shallow victory compared to what could have been, and is such a let down that it couldn't possibly have been ported over to the PC version.

No, I understand what was written, I just don't understand the developer/publisher decisions that made it happen. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Unironically, a Risk style or Total War style CnC game set in 3 as you fight over the Earth, preferably with unique maps for major locations, could have been really cool.

Pity.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Dark Crusade really got the formula perfect.
Skirmish battles for regular territory, hand crafted challenge maps for attacking enemy strongholds.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I think you mean 5000 skirmish battles repeated over and over as your territories are constantly and tiresomely re-contested.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

At least they're fast in Dark Crusade. Build up a bit the first time and then when it gets contested, pop out an army almost instantly and steamroll the enemy. We're not talking Soulstorm levels of tedious here.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Groetgaffel posted:

Dark Crusade really got the formula perfect.
Skirmish battles for regular territory, hand crafted challenge maps for attacking enemy strongholds.

Not perfect, but leagues better than... whatever this is supposed to be.

Your own stronghold being this empty husk always made me sad.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

disposablewords posted:

At least they're fast in Dark Crusade. Build up a bit the first time and then when it gets contested, pop out an army almost instantly and steamroll the enemy. We're not talking Soulstorm levels of tedious here.

This. I'd take my time, on the first run through each map, fortifying every location where a base can be created, grabbing every strategy point and relic point, multiple research and unit buildings, and then if I had to defend, just get my military-industrial complex to destroy them within 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

painedforever posted:

This. I'd take my time, on the first run through each map, fortifying every location where a base can be created, grabbing every strategy point and relic point, multiple research and unit buildings, and then if I had to defend, just get my military-industrial complex to destroy them within 5 minutes.

Heck, if you play as Eldar you could just drop a Webway Gate and a couple of heavy artillery turrets just within splattering range of where you *know* the attacker's base will spawn and you can watch them explode before the skirmish even started.