Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
They kept giving you grenades in boxes, but more than you can hold. Could you put a bunch of grenades in a box, then carry the box around like the world's deadliest shopping basket?

Koorisch posted:

Man, watching this is making me wish I had my own VR headset so I could play this myself.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Ceebees posted:

They kept giving you grenades in boxes, but more than you can hold. Could you put a bunch of grenades in a box, then carry the box around like the world's deadliest shopping basket?

In theory, yes, at least up until the next loading zone.

There are multiple points in the game where you require ammo to shoot locks off doors - notably, there's one as soon as you get Russel's gun. The game has contingencies for every single locked door in the game to make sure you always have ammo. Someone found an exploit that lets you farm bullets off Russel for a maximum of 1011 bullets (1000 in the backpack, 10 in the clip, 1 in the chamber).

Samovar posted:

It's the only VR game I've seen which looks... Y'know, like a game and not a proof of concept.

Well, that's not totally fair: I have nearly 200 hours into Beat Saber and I've heard good things about Blade And Sorcery. There's also every mainline Amnesia game and I believe both Subnauticas are VR-capable. And your player character is explicitly better in VR in Phasmophobia. Resident Evil 7 and 8 are both VR-capable as well.

VR developers seem to trend towards the horror genre, which makes sense: if you want to get spooked, there's no better medium for it than putting yourself directly into the game. There are lots of VR titles that work really well... but there is an abundance of horror-based titles, which might not be your fancy, and most of them are developed for regular monitor, mouse-and-keyboard gameplay first and VR later. Half-Life Alyx, Blade And Sorcery, and Beat Saber are the most famous VR only titles, of which, to be fair, there are not many, which makes sense: there is a very small market for VR-only titles.

And then, of course, there's Skyrim. Todd Howard's done it again.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 6, 2022

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Subnauticas VR Mode never got really fixed and still has some issues you need to fix with mods, Below Zero has no native VR mode.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

That's lamer than I thought!

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Ceebees posted:

You can carry things past loading zones. I carried a cardboard box full of all the things I couldnt use on the spot through most of the game!

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Chronische posted:

You can carry things past loading zones. I carried a cardboard box full of all the things I couldnt use on the spot through most of the game!

Hobo simulator

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Nostalgamus posted:

Hobo simulator

It was usually full of grenades, and a few spare health grub containers. Of course, after a while it was so full that things began to clip out of the box, so I had to use the items a bit more profligately!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Alyx has a backpack, might as well bypass its restrictions with a box of loot!

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

GodDAMN but Valve can do fantastic environmental design when they actually MAKE a game.

And ripcord being the code-name for a grenade would BE fantastic if... you know, you actually primed a grenade in this game the way you prime a grenade in real life.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

:eng101:Those plugs on the TV are SCART connectors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Say... Those Xen grenades look awfully like the one from OpFor to me...

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Samovar posted:

Say... Those Xen grenades look awfully like the one from OpFor to me...

But Alyx doesn't get a cute little living gun to spit them out. Plus side, they work a lot better!

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I've been trying for one update every three days, but we're having a minor hiatus in updates because of scheduling conflicts. Be back soon!

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 14, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Take your time!

Yeah... With the lightning dogs also being able to infect bodies, it does make the fauna of Xen seem very creepily more parasitic/symbiotic than life on Earth. It's nice and alien!

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Clips are used to load ammunition into magazines. Most older firearms (mostly rifles, but a few pistols) had internal magazines that were loaded via stripper clips, whereas most modern firearms use removable magazines that are pre-loaded.

So, Alyx's pistol uses magazines to reload, but her shotgun has an internal magazines that must be loaded by hand.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

racerabbit posted:

Clips are used to load ammunition into magazines. Most older firearms (mostly rifles, but a few pistols) had internal magazines that were loaded via stripper clips, whereas most modern firearms use removable magazines that are pre-loaded.

So, Alyx's pistol uses magazines to reload, but her shotgun has an internal magazines that must be loaded by hand.

I knew, I just KNEW this would be the first response.

...I guess the proper name for the bullet-holding device of a revolver is the cylinder?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Yes, as far as I know.

The whole magazine/clip thing is just one of those personal peeves that's been with me since my dad got it wrong many, many, many years ago.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Otoh annoying gun people is fun, and assault-rifle-15 clips are too big

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

ikanreed posted:

I prefer to keep my bullets in a quiver, for ease of transport! Just attach it to an arrow and fire the arrow into the chamber, then another to pull the trigger, easy as that.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

ikanreed posted:

Both parts of this sentence are too true to be argued with.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I load my guns by manually inserting one bullet at a time into the chamber, or as I like to it, the boom-hole.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure someone's made a clip magazine.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Bootcha posted:

I'm pretty sure someone's made a clip magazine.

I, uh, think that there's even something like that in this game - the expanded "mag" for the pistol would be something like that, wouldn't it? Bullets are fed from the magazines into what would could only be called the added clip.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Best Barnacle ever.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Nostalgamus posted:

Best Barnacle ever.

No, that's the barnacle grapple from Opposing Force!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

How could you not recognize Barney, from Black Mesa?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Man, G-Man really hooked Barney the Barnacle, from Black Mesa, with a sweet retirement home.

Infinite food supply? Check.
Historic neighborhood with plenty of real estate to attach to? Check.
No Gordon Freeman? Check.
Not have to be a grappling hook? Check.
Still able to help the occasional human get by? Check.

That kind of barnacle would volunteer to be a local pollster and crosswalk guard, I tell yah.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Huh. Guess the poison headcrabs still poison you after all! Just not as much as in HL2.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

The characterization of these vortigaunts are making me feel really guilty about mowing all those aliens in the original Half-Life.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

racerabbit posted:

The characterization of these vortigaunts are making me feel really guilty about mowing all those aliens in the original Half-Life.

Play Black Mesa for more guilt.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So, the Vortigaunts are good guys from Xen. Headcrabs are parasitic fauna from Xen. Lightning Dogs I assume are also a Xen derivative?

Is there a scale of good/bad Xen denizens anywhere?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bootcha posted:

So, the Vortigaunts are good guys from Xen. Headcrabs are parasitic fauna from Xen. Lightning Dogs I assume are also a Xen derivative?

Is there a scale of good/bad Xen denizens anywhere?

Basically just the vorts
Everything else will either kill you or parasitize and kill you.

Also xen is a sort of borderworld between dimensions, we dont actually know whats native to it and what just fell through from other worlds. From interactions with the vorts we know that the main antagonist in hl1, the nihilanth, occupied xen and enslaved the vortigaunts, and hid xen and itself from things like the combine.

Once the nihilanths psychic veil dropped xen opened to thr combine and presented a direct path to earth

Ooh and on that note
Im just noticing that something very notable is missing that was in previous games.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 2, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ooh and on that note
Im just noticing that something very notable is missing that was in previous games.

Crowbars!

...Security Guards!

...microwaves?

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ooh and on that note

A thin man in a suit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Samovar posted:

...microwaves?

My god man, what ARE you doing!