Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Samovar posted:

So - will you also be playing through that Levitation mod? (please note, I have no clue if it is good or not).

This is the first I've heard of it. I guess I could give it a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Maple Leaf posted:

This is the first I've heard of it. I guess I could give it a look.

Is the episode supposed to be without any sound? Other youtube vids I'm getting sound with.

E: Nevermind, I somehow fuckin' hit the button to mute that particular tab

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

That headcrab is an excellent jump scare.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I got a slight jumpscare from the mannequins tumbling out of the closet, hah.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I heard you like Headcrab jumpscares

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 2, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Maple Leaf posted:

I heard you like Headcrab jumpscares

Aw man, that message on the whiteboard is just... It just got to me.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I've said it before, but I still really love the aesthetic of the Combine's weird mix of harsh, blocky but thin metal technology along with gross body-horror biomechanics.

Also, I think the inhabitant of that one bedroom may have been a Vortiguant - the ticks on the wall measured off eight sections of whatever time it's supposed to represent.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Man... The fact that the Combine soldiers CAN talk normally, but choose not to in gunfights is vaguely annoying. Earlier it made them seen that they were under some kind of compulsion or indoctrination. Now it just makes them seem like bumbling stormtroopers.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

In Half-Life 2, Alyx runs around with a burst-fire pistol that you never normally get, but you can use it by typing "give alyxgun" from the console.

And now we have its official backstory, too.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

It seems like the Combine refer to Alyx as "infected" at times?

"Proceeding on infected."

Is there a reason for that?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

tadashi posted:

It seems like the Combine refer to Alyx as "infected" at times?

"Proceeding on infected."

Is there a reason for that?

I don't know about this game, but in vanilla hl2, the language of combine enforcers is all in metaphor of criminal=disease and murdering them=treatment

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yup. actual zombies get 'necrotics' and headcrabs and barnacles are 'parasitics'.
When they do kill you or clear any hostiles to them they can say 'sector sterile' so yeah, infected means human resistance.
The combine jargon has expanded a little from HL2.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

ikanreed posted:

I don't know about this game, but in vanilla hl2, the language of combine enforcers is all in metaphor of criminal=disease and murdering them=treatment
So, basically cops and right-wing views on crime?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Olive Branch posted:

So, basically cops and right-wing views on crime?

Oh absolutely!

Also, it's interesting - there have been no poison headcrab zombies in this game, have there? They were a thing there in HL2. Yet, of all enemies, I would have thought them to be nearly perfect for this game.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Samovar posted:

Oh absolutely!

Also, it's interesting - there have been no poison headcrab zombies in this game, have there? They were a thing there in HL2. Yet, of all enemies, I would have thought them to be nearly perfect for this game.

There's a point in one episode where ML identifies one variant of headcrab as poisonous. He's just very good at not getting hit by anything other than his own grenades and the occasional electric dog.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

no they mean poison headcrab zombies from HL2, the ones where theyre a walking colony of poisonous headcrabs and the zombie body yeets them at you.
I guess the lightning dog zombie counts as the variant for this one.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

tadashi posted:

There's a point in one episode where ML identifies one variant of headcrab as poisonous. He's just very good at not getting hit by anything other than his own grenades and the occasional electric dog.

We all gotta make our own fun somehow

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Sorry for missing a day! Our schedules got misaligned a bit.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Well, that's ominous.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm sure everything is going to be just fine.

Also, that little bit with the two soldiers checking out the strider was pretty drat funny.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Overwatch sounded real upset there for an AI voice

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

also re: combine bio engineering: lets just say whenever youd expect silicon theres gonna be something alive.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm guessing, there's something big that comes after the video stops in 32 but that was just a good place to split the videos?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I try to keep my videos roughly around 20 minutes long and yeah, that was just the best place to cut them.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I hope you enjoyed the LP! Happy holidays!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It's a Christmas miracle!

...I do hope they have something more cooking up, especially after a cliffhanger like that.

Edit: I do like how the ending with the energy balls harkens back to the end of HL2 at the citadel.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 24, 2022

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Thanks again for having me along for the ride, Maple Leaf! The gameplay for VR was slick and the story engrossing given the final reveal. I don't think we'll ever get a Half-Life 3 the way we were promised, but this is a good spin-off and shows the writers and developers cared about the franchise!

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Thank you for showing off this game. It's been a fascinating journey (culminating in changing the ending of Half-Life 2: Episode 2, but only to a different cliffhanger ending).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Samovar posted:

It's a Christmas miracle!

...I do hope they have something more cooking up, especially after a cliffhanger like that.
Hell yeah. Time to get pumped for Half Life 3!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

They're gonna release HL Alyx 2 and then HL 5

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also the technique you were talking about in the beginning is vegetas technique warning: raw 90s anime flashing lights

Xander77 posted:

Hell yeah. Time to get pumped for Half Life 3!

GabeN will be buried with the only copy.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 24, 2022

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
RIP Steven. Lost to a tractor beam but never forgotten. :patriot:

Hevo
Jul 8, 2015

Been following in full lurk mode, just want to say thanks for a great lp!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

LP very good, here's hoping it's not another 10 years before the next Half-Life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
:five:

Thanks from the "my house does not have a room large enough for VR" crew for showing this off. I hope your fingers have recovered from being smashed into ceiling fans, wardrobes, and alien goops.