Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Well poo poo. I don't even know how to use a controller on my computer. Hmm.....

Controllers are pretty much pnp at this point, steam even has its own ps4 wrapper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I can get into that. Apparently I bought Marvel's Avengers from Steam last year. I just installed it a few days ago but haven't tried it. I hope I don't need a controller because I don't do that. I'd assume I'd need one for Spider-Man.

technically they're *playable* with m/kb, but they're way more fun with a controller... Spider-Man specifically is 100% designed for controller, and there's subtle details like rumble at appropiate times that really enhance the game.

just get a recent Xbox controller and a usbc cable (to avoid wireless headaches, if you want)

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
We're just now getting into weird comics poo poo and if you adult children gently caress this up before I get Throg beating on Squirrel Girl I'll be pissed. I want Dr Doom tooting a horn.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The Guardians of the Galaxy game has better dialogue than most of the marvel movies and is a fun ride but not very difficult.

100% recommend a look if you already have game pass and enjoy the characters. Not really worth it if you don't like them though.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

When they first started doing the multiverse stuff I kept ending up in arguments with my more Marvel-inclined loved ones about how the multiverse "shouldn't work like that" because I'm a different kind of lovely nerd and I can't get my brain around its particular flavor of handwavy "alternate universe" poo poo (is it timelines or universes?? Please help I'm so confused) and eventually I learned to just smile and nod when things are explained to me, it's better for everyone.

That said, I have seen almost all of the Marvel stuff at this point (due to aforementioned loved ones) and did anyone else think it was weird that in Loki he essentially fell in love with girl version of himself?? Or is this me misunderstanding how all of this works again

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

It’s not weird at all, he’s a narcissist who loves himself above all, I thought it made perfect sense with his character

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

When they first started doing the multiverse stuff I kept ending up in arguments with my more Marvel-inclined loved ones about how the multiverse "shouldn't work like that" because I'm a different kind of lovely nerd and I can't get my brain around its particular flavor of handwavy "alternate universe" poo poo (is it timelines or universes?? Please help I'm so confused) and eventually I learned to just smile and nod when things are explained to me, it's better for everyone.

That said, I have seen almost all of the Marvel stuff at this point (due to aforementioned loved ones) and did anyone else think it was weird that in Loki he essentially fell in love with girl version of himself?? Or is this me misunderstanding how all of this works again

Comic books have had characters running for nearly a century, and in that time period a lot of people have written a lot of different storylines for them.

That's it, that's all you need to understand about the multiverse.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
You expect me to hold 2+ things in my head at once? I'm getting dizzy at the mere concept

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

We're just now getting into weird comics poo poo and if you adult children gently caress this up before I get Throg beating on Squirrel Girl I'll be pissed. I want Dr Doom tooting a horn.

Finally, someone in this thread who doesn't have oatmeal brains

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
what marvel needs to do is just go full roger rabbit. make a cartoon movie that crosses over with the "real" world. the fantastic four doesn't work in live action. cartoon fantastic four crosses over into the mcu and the characters interact like that. opens the doors for the wilder characters without trying to "ground" them in reality. bingo bango why not done?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Any Fantastic Four movie needs to be a Doom movie. Like make him the main character and put the FF wayyy in the background. The best thing they’ve ever done with FF on screen is turn Reed into spaghetti.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Only an arch-villain's mind could conceive of vuvuzelas.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lt. Cock posted:

The best thing they’ve ever done with FF on screen is turn Reed into spaghetti.

Dr. Strange: MoM's spaghetti.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lt. Cock posted:

The best thing they’ve ever done with FF on screen is turn Reed into spaghetti.

And casting Jessica Alba and Kate Mara. :swoon:

The movies weren't great though. The first one was ok.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Mothers Milk for the BOMB.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

As someone who genuinely enjoys the MCU, here are my thoughts on the Phase 4 stuff.

WandaVision: I really wish this one ended better because its highs are fantastic. The sitcom pastiches and the creepy edit moments are all great. The scene of Vision confronting Wanda and powering through the end credits is so good. Vision vs. Vision is a cool sequence. There’s so much about the show that I really love.

Its problem is that it tells us Wanda’s controlling everything early on, but tries to keep the mystery stuff going. The Agatha All Along stuff isn’t nearly as big as it pretends to be and only really exists to give the show a final boss battle.

Still mostly solid and I like the idea of building a supporting cast out of side characters from the lesser movies.

Falcon and the Winter Soldier: Mostly suffers from being kind of bland and a fill-in arc that doesn’t need to exist. Probably the best thing about it is John Walker as a punchable guy who is trying his best, but is collapsing under the weight of who he thinks he’s supposed to be. I really liked this take on him until the final episode. Walker should definitely have some sort of redemption, but not in the sense that he’s suddenly a total good guy and everybody gets along with him.

It's okay.

Black Widow: As a farewell to Natasha, it does nothing for me. As a passing of the torch to the new Black Widow Yelena, it works. Very run-of-the-mill Marvel movie that’s neither great nor terrible. Kind of doomed itself by being the first movie after COVID delays. Really wish they went with the deleted ending instead.

Loki: A great time, even if it doesn’t follow its own logic (Alligator Loki is a fun novelty, but his existence makes zero sense). Good performances all around and it somehow sticks the landing of having a brand-new villain pop up as the mastermind in the final episode. Jonathan Majors’ over-the-top performance has me looking forward to him as being the next big villain, which is crazy, since I’ve never given a poo poo about Kang at all.

What If?: What If? is my favorite comic series, so I was always going to enjoy the hell out of this. Enjoyed most of the stories and liked seeing how the different returning actors fared against each other in terms of voicework quality. Michael Douglas absolutely put his ankle in it while Sebastian Stan... was there.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings: Barely has anything to do with the comic character, but that’s okay. Entertaining fight scenes peppered throughout the first two acts (the one on the side of the building especially) that just overwhelmed what was going on in the final act. A charming character introduction that has me wanting to see the title character as a team player down the line. Plus, you know, a sequel.

Eternals: They tried, but it never grabbed me. Making the Eternals interesting is an uphill battle and this one went nowhere.

Hawkeye: Maybe my favorite MCU Disney+ show. It gets the MCU formula down just right with the action, humor, guest characters, character introductions, dramatic moments, etc. Like Black Widow, it nails being a passing of the torch story and does such a good job writing off Clint Barton that he could easily never show up in the MCU again and there would be zero issue. Dude made his peace, found a successor he respects, and gets to have his happy ending.

Spider-Man: No Way Home: I’ve never been too crazy about the MCU Spider-Man movies or even the other Spider-Man movies, but it succeeds in what it tries to be. It’s good to see Dafoe and Molina as well as Garfield, who somehow gets to stand out by being in a movie that not only isn’t garbage, but also ALMOST convinces you that his earlier Spider-Man movies weren’t garbage. It’s a good farewell to Spider-Man as a major cog in the MCU as it moves towards making him closer to the street-level loner from the comics.

Moon Knight: God, I wanted to like this more. I really did. Oscar Isaac kicks rear end in this, but the people behind it tried too hard to make “Marvel’s Batman” seem less like Batman. Khonshu rules when he’s around and the penultimate episode almost redeems the whole show, but the whole thing really needed a rewrite or two.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness: I know the kids are important, but Wanda really just stopped giving a poo poo about Vision here. Raimi’s a good match for Strange and it gets awesome when he decides to make the movie completely batshit. Strange’s dreamwalking reveal at the end was entirely my poo poo.

Not sure how I feel about the Illuminati stuff, but I like the potential of what it’s setting up down the line. It’s at least more entertaining than the, “We’re setting up Avengers,” parts of Iron Man 2.

Ms. Marvel: Never got around to finishing it, but it’s cute so far.

Thor: Love and Thunder: I really liked the Asgardians of the Galaxy status quo set up in Infinity War and Endgame. It feels like something’s missing as we go from everyone thinking Thor is awesome and Quill is lame for not thinking he’s awesome to everyone just hating Thor. Quill comes off as the only one vaguely friends with him and it feels forced.

The basic ingredients are there for a good Thor movie, but they never mix quite right and it just comes off as hollow. Still not his worst outing, at least.

She-Hulk: Absolutely enjoying it so far. When Phase 2 started, we got Agents of SHIELD, which treated superpowers as an obscurity on the cusp of mixing with society. Now we’re at the point where superhero poo poo has all but integrated with society and this is a vehicle to look at it all in a comedic and down-to-earth way.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Excellent treatnment but have you read the teenage mutage turtal,s and put the tick on it?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Zeluth posted:

Excellent treatnment but have you read the teenage mutage turtal,s and put the tick on it?

the original TMNT comics are wild - they go to space by like the second collected volume, and then volume 4 (i think?) is pretty close to a the original 80's movie, right down to an issue at the farmhouse hideout largely told through April's sketches and journal entries. it's honestly kind of a cool, humanizing look at these ridiculous characters

then donatello becomes a cyborg, raphael starts leading the Foot clan, and mikey gets some green lizard alien lady knocked up

e: this is totally appropriate to discuss in this thread, since the turtles were originally a parody of not-quite-edgy Daredevil comics, and they were mutated by the chemical truck that spilled on Matt Murdock

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Man, these are solid takes. The only one I might not completely agree with is the latest Strange movie. There was just so much going on and I couldn't get into it. Sensory saturation. Probably my fault more than anything else. I also really enjoyed the hell out of Loki. It was a beautiful story of self discovery.

She-Hulk owns. The last episode with Madisynn was loving hilarious.

Also how they predict and tell you how chuds are going to lose their poo poo and they go ahead and do it anyway.

Jelly fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 14, 2022

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

This could be loving cool, since it's from Firaxis. Concept is really weird with the cards, but I will give it a shot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlhFyxzPnhc

gotta love them marbles

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Gavok posted:

Hawkeye: Maybe my favorite MCU Disney+ show. It gets the MCU formula down just right with the action, humor, guest characters, character introductions, dramatic moments, etc. Like Black Widow, it nails being a passing of the torch story and does such a good job writing off Clint Barton that he could easily never show up in the MCU again and there would be zero issue. Dude made his peace, found a successor he respects, and gets to have his happy ending.

I agree with this, its my favourite too. I thought the tone was great, Hailee Steinfeld is a cool and hot chick, and overall was paced better than the other shows. Hawkeye was a lot more entertaining with a funny cynical sense of humor which was probably his best depiction in the series.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I realized that outside of Youtube clips I really didn't care enough about anything in Phase 4 to watch it.

Keep in mind, too, I don't care about much of any of the new Spider-man films. The only thing that would have surprised me about the last one would have been if the kid from Iron Man 3 went nuts and decided to steal some Stark Tech and hunt down Peter Parker for betraying the memory and trust of Tony Stark, with the climax of the film being irony.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry Mr. Godard wasn't able to direct a marvel movie before he died

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Love and Thunder raised a good point, Stage 4 is usually the last one right? So when Phase 4 ends we'll take a break for a few years at least before the whole thing gets rebooted?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Nothing will stop until the profits stop.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

Love and Thunder raised a good point, Stage 4 is usually the last one right? So when Phase 4 ends we'll take a break for a few years at least before the whole thing gets rebooted?

That's when they bring in Snyder for gritty reboot phase 1!

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
David Lynch with 100% guaranteed creative control. Then raise Harry Dean Stanton from the loving dead.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The only superhero movie i'd ever watch would be one written and directed by Cronenberg

The closest they've come is that dude turning into goo in the first X-men

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

InsertPotPun posted:

the fantastic four doesn't work in live action. cartoon fantastic four crosses over into the mcu and the characters interact like that. opens the doors for the wilder characters without trying to "ground" them in reality. bingo bango why not done?

If they put off doing the Fantastic Four until it could get the full Ragnarok-in-outer-space treatment, doing 100% technicolor Jack Kirby full double-page spread madness, it would work.

And, if they actually used Doom in the exact character, tone, and treatment as the comics - i.e. 'I will annihilate anyone who so much as harms a single hair on the head of any of my subjects!' - (astrally projects with Dr. Strange and reminds him of the treaty preventing anyone other than Doom from doing magic within Latveria's borders) - (finishes, and starts ordering the flowers for the yearly Festival of Victor Von Doom Parade) - it would work.

But nnoooooOOOOOOOooo, it kept getting people that didn't respect the source material for poo poo. Ragnarok had Skurge with the loving M-16's killing demons on Bifrost for gently caress's sake! When I saw that a little kind inside of me yelled out 'no loving WAY did they just DO that!' because it was one of the deepest cuts from the best run the comic ever had. They need more of that.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm not thrilled by it, op. I can tell you that much. Not one bit!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Charles Bukowski posted:

David Lynch with 100% guaranteed creative control. Then raise Harry Dean Stanton from the loving dead.

Peter Jackson, but everything has to be done in muppets, meet the feebles style, no cgi.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Fantastic 4 would work well to have a movie where they get beaten by Doom, which then opens him up to be the big new bossman of the entire next phase of Marvel. Doom rules and he should need multiple movies and massive cooperation to stop his schemes.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Oliver Stone's X-Men: A conspiracy theory movie about a hidden population of 'mutants' that the government has been secretly hunting down and killing for the last 60 years.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Caesar Saladin posted:

Fantastic 4 would work well to have a movie where they get beaten by Doom, which then opens him up to be the big new bossman of the entire next phase of Marvel. Doom rules and he should need multiple movies and massive cooperation to stop his schemes.

The fact that Dr. Doom has been bungled so many times is a loving tragedy. I would say that he's ruined forever but I don't think anyone remembers the Fantastic Four movies well enough to recall that he was in them.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So are these going to be good again? It's been a lot of duds and stuff I couldn't be bothered to watch for free. We liked Thor 3, but everything since made me not watch Thor 4 and since I heard it's meh I probably won't, there's already 2 other meh and worse Thor movies.

Besides Northman I haven't seen anything lately. Don't seem to have the attention span that lasts longer than a youtube video. In fact I've already forgotten where this was going. Everybody days that spiderverse movie is good but ehhhh

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I think I realized I saw nothing from Phase 4, but if you were to ask me what the theme is or what they're building to, all the talk of 'This phase is leading to a bigger threat out there that rivals Thanos', the only thing I could really think of is the Marvel cosmic embodiment of Death.

The only reasons I even say that is given how much death themes stuff feels like is a major story component for the main characters/projects this go around compared to the previous ones, and I STILL see people posting comments about how the Infinity Saga stuff more or less ignored the entire Death worship aspect of Thanos character.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So it's going to be about Evil Ernie and Lady Death? Yeah I'd watch that.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Charles Bukowski posted:

So it's going to be about Evil Ernie and Lady Death? Yeah I'd watch that.

loving lmao that would be a wild movie

not a good movie, but a wild one

maybe bring vampirella in too

edit: Verotik Cinematic Universe when, Glenn Danzig

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

loving lmao that would be a wild movie

not a good movie, but a wild one

maybe bring vampirella in too

edit: Verotik Cinematic Universe when, Glenn Danzig

this is shades of grey on the Monster Cinematic Universe that one studio was trying to make with the Tom Cruise Mummy movie. Like a full :airquote: Cinematic Universe :airquote: of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen without Sir Sean Connery.

btw fun movie trivia apropos itt - Sean Connery turned down Gandalf in LOTR because he thought League of Extraordinary Gentlemen would be a bigger/better franchise, and ultimately hated the process so much he quit acting.

Also - 100% promise that the first X-men storyline will be Inferno, with Madelyn Pryor and everything.