Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Calling it now: The secret teenage son of T'Chala will be revealed in the next movie. He'll be hidden behind the mask for the entire film. He'll take off the BP mask in the post-credits to reveal himself to his grandmother.

He'll have white hair and say something cryptic about his mother and the internet will go nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think I realized I saw nothing from Phase 4, but if you were to ask me what the theme is or what they're building to, all the talk of 'This phase is leading to a bigger threat out there that rivals Thanos', the only thing I could really think of is the Marvel cosmic embodiment of Death.

The only reasons I even say that is given how much death themes stuff feels like is a major story component for the main characters/projects this go around compared to the previous ones, and I STILL see people posting comments about how the Infinity Saga stuff more or less ignored the entire Death worship aspect of Thanos character.

The way I see it, this is how the Phases work.

Phase 1: The forming of the Avengers.

Phase 2: A post-Avengers world where everybody is on track to getting their own happy ending, but there's a looming threat and the only one who has any inkling of it coming is Tony Stark. He acts on this in the worst way and it blows up in their face.

Phase 3: Conflict increases and tears the team apart on the eve of Thanos' arrival, when they're needed the most. They do end up banding back together and win the day, but by the time the dust settles, the Avengers no longer exist. Everyone's either dead, retired, or off doing their own thing. Even Nick Fury, the glue holding everything together, goes off-world for some reason.

Phase 4: The world is getting crazier and everyone has to deal with the void of a world without Avengers. Not only are we getting new heroes, but we're getting replacements for the original Avengers. All the while, Sylvie ends up unlocking the multiverse (which itself gets explored in various ways), unleashing the threat of Kang the Conqueror, who is supposed to be the main threat for the next several years.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Besides Northman I haven't seen anything lately. Don't seem to have the attention span that lasts longer than a youtube video. In fact I've already forgotten where this was going. Everybody days that spiderverse movie is good but ehhhh

Spiderverse movie is very good.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Vampire Panties posted:

this is shades of grey on the Monster Cinematic Universe that one studio was trying to make with the Tom Cruise Mummy movie. Like a full :airquote: Cinematic Universe :airquote: of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen without Sir Sean Connery.

This could have worked if they'd realized the old Universal Horror monsters were already a shared cinematic universe. I don't need a bunch of dumb action movies to coexist with some cohesive BS superhero team running things, just have Dracula go visit Dr. Frankenstein and then the Gill-man shows up to wreck stuff.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
As dumb as it was, maybe I'd watch another Van Helsing if the dumb was replaced with camp and better writing. I'd watch a 3rd Hellboy with the original cast 10 years ago.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah Ron Perlman was great as Hellboy. And well... everything.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
why do the french love ron perlman

i don't get it

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gavok posted:

Spiderverse movie is very good.

It's the only Marvel movie I've made it all the way through since the first Iron Man

Vampire Panties posted:

this is shades of grey on the Monster Cinematic Universe that one studio was trying to make with the Tom Cruise Mummy movie. Like a full :airquote: Cinematic Universe :airquote: of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen without Sir Sean Connery.

The newest Godzilla vs Kong movie, which is I think part of this Monster Cinematic Universe or if not a different one entirely that's the same thing but with kaiju, actually kind of owns, it's pretty much Dark Souls: King Kong with a rad and pretty long fight in the neon-rimmed nighttime skyline of hong kong and lots of bright vivid colors and fantastical environments, like a lot of it takes place in a primeval hollow earth type place that's basically a giant O'Neill Cylinder like the Arthur C Clarke book Rendezvous with Rama inside the earth. It's not much more than a popcorn flick but it's a really good one and has a very distinct visual style that I hope becomes a thing in big budget blockbuster boring movies. It's comparable to the Wachowskis' Speed Racer in visual appeal. And most importantly it never gets bogged down in bad character tropes or corny focus-group-chosen one-liners like Marvel movies because any time that starts to happen it goes "oh poo poo wait a minute, this is a giant monster movie" and gets back to what it's best at.

I haven't seen the other Godzilla movie that's part of the same franchise universe from a few years back (the one that's about a war between kaiju or something, it sounded like Afro Samurai but with kaiju instead of samurai - this Godzilla vs Kong is a continuation of that story where Godzilla and Kong are the only 2 kaiju left after they killed all the others) but I heard it's pretty good too, just without the bright vivid colors and cinematics of Godzilla vs Kong.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 14, 2022

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

kntfkr posted:

i don't get it

He posted this after one of the Koch brother's died and promptly got (temp) banned from twitter lol.

He's cool.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
That's awesome.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Charles Bukowski posted:

As dumb as it was, maybe I'd watch another Van Helsing if the dumb was replaced with camp and better writing. I'd watch a 3rd Hellboy with the original cast 10 years ago.

Scrap marvel phase 4, start up a four part Van Helsing / Blade / Hellboy cross over. Guillermo del Toro and Taika Waititi get complete creative control and half the defense budget to make them.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Nap Ghost
The Young Avengers, featuring Iron Boy

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
What the MCU is really missing is their own version of The Joker from The Joker and other films

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Lt. Cock posted:

What the MCU is really missing is their own version of The Joker from The Joker and other films

loki?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Scrap marvel phase 4, start up a four part Van Helsing / Blade / Hellboy cross over. Guillermo del Toro and Taika Waititi get complete creative control and half the defense budget to make them.

:haibrower::haibrower::haibrower:

del Toro does the design work; Waititi writes all the dialogue. Wesley Snipes reprises his role and nobody says a loving word :colbert:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

deep dish peat moss posted:

The newest Godzilla vs Kong movie, which is I think part of this Monster Cinematic Universe or if not a different one entirely that's the same thing but with kaiju, actually kind of owns, it's pretty much Dark Souls: King Kong with a rad and pretty long fight in the neon-rimmed nighttime skyline of hong kong and lots of bright vivid colors and fantastical environments, like a lot of it takes place in a primeval hollow earth type place that's basically a giant O'Neill Cylinder like the Arthur C Clarke book Rendezvous with Rama inside the earth. It's not much more than a popcorn flick but it's a really good one and has a very distinct visual style that I hope becomes a thing in big budget blockbuster boring movies. It's comparable to the Wachowskis' Speed Racer in visual appeal. And most importantly it never gets bogged down in bad character tropes or corny focus-group-chosen one-liners like Marvel movies because any time that starts to happen it goes "oh poo poo wait a minute, this is a giant monster movie" and gets back to what it's best at.

I haven't seen the other Godzilla movie that's part of the same franchise universe from a few years back (the one that's about a war between kaiju or something, it sounded like Afro Samurai but with kaiju instead of samurai - this Godzilla vs Kong is a continuation of that story where Godzilla and Kong are the only 2 kaiju left after they killed all the others) but I heard it's pretty good too, just without the bright vivid colors and cinematics of Godzilla vs Kong.

I ended up watching it and super liked it. Going to Kong-planet is a very novel way to set a rad stage for the characters, and as you said - the visuals rocked :hellyeah:

Which kinda circles back around to Phase 4 - there's been zero* spectacle in any of them. Phase 2-4 was pretty good about having an epic dual--page-layout-as-scene CGI romps throughout each movie (Opening scene of GOTG, The airport fight in civil war, Mickey Rourke with laser whips, even the opening battle from Thor 2), and they were all cutting edge CGI. I mean, its not really a honest comparison because IIRC almost all of Phase 4 has been filmed through COVID, and literally everything filmed under COVID looks very stale and claustrophobic, but there's no compelling visual reason to see anything from Phase 4 at the movie theatre.

* the end fight in Shang-Chi was pretty good

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

One problem is that avengers are lame and nothing about them as a team is compelling.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Ew no come on. The Joker is dark and twisted like that Korn video with the bullet flying around

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

satanic splash-back posted:

One problem is that avengers are lame and nothing about them as a team is compelling.

I didn't care for the Avengers much when I was young. I liked Iron Man and that's about it. But I didn't know anything about him. I liked the X-Men mostly and Spider-Man.

The Saturday morning X-Men cartoon was pretty dark. A lot of late 80s to early 90s cartoons were hitting on some really hard issues. X-Men was like 50% fighting racism.

edit: I found an image of chuds complaining about comic book stuff being so woke and someone giving a one line explanation of what they were about or something. I'll try to find it.

edit2: I guess this was it.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 15, 2022

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
And, uhh, if you paid full price, you didn't buy it at Crown Books.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Gavok posted:

As someone who genuinely enjoys the MCU, here are my thoughts on the Phase 4 stuff.

I have opinions but I really don't expect anything from them, or really any other movie to be anything but good or enjoyable.

The thing is that things are really jumbled, for better and for the worse, now that Disney+ series are cannon or play off it.

It does things like let characters stretch their legs, but many also are forced into low stakes or inconsequential endings. Which, is fine but some feel more useless than others.

WandaVision:

It does a good job of taking Wanda out of the string of disasters she was a part of and enjoy herself the way she thinks she would enjoy herself.

While the pocket reality wasn't perfect, it would have held a lot longer. This is why Agatha was more of a villain I think you give credit for. It wasn't just a boss battle, it was also Wanda finding out more of what she is. I mean, Wanda was just pulling this pocket world out of her rear end but Agatha forced her to find and hone her craft.

The ultimate problem with WandaVision is Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of madness. At the end of WandaVision, Wanda faces actual reality, comes to acceptance. She knows she's affected the lives of hundreds of people. But Doctor Strange essentially wipes all of that character growth away and she's even more unaccepting of her reality.

Falcon and the Winter Soldier:
Sam's got nothing to prove, but he's still got a lot to prove. Bucky is just always going to be running from himself.

Put them together and you've got a guy who was besties with Rogers telling the other that he's got what it takes. While the guy who hates his past is being told by the other that he shouldn't be too hard on himself.

Both of them were put into situations beyond their control: Sam never asked to be the next Captain, and his reservations are more than just about if he has what it takes. Bucky was literally not in control of himself when he was an assassin.

Then, there's a third guy under a lot of pressure. Like Sam, he's got nothing to prove but has a lot to prove. John Walker is the other side of the coin: some will rise to challenges of character, others will fall. Sam rises to it. John falls.

The Flag Smashers are a good concept but just not possible to play it out as it deserves in this series, and will hardly be touched upon elsewhere. It's another inconsequential thing- but more saddening because Spider-Man: Far From Home dealt more with the consequences of everyone coming back from the blip than the Flag Smashers did.

However, the show did have good moments, dialogue, and characters playing off each other. It's still worth a watch for all of the mismatched buddy comedy. It also didn't shy away from addressing the fact that Sam is black and brings up the complicated relationship that some black people have with America.

I mean, if you think about it, everyone agreed that Sam was right that he shouldn't take up the mantle and put the shield in a museum. But later on when another great white hope comes around, everyone's tripping over their own nuts to hand the shield off to PTSD blondie.

Black Widow:

Let's give it credit for a good flick featuring a fractured 'family' in a more lighthearted way.

Some good character interactions and all of that.

Sad, though, because like Wanda, Black Widow hardly ever got to be anything but a character trapped in other people's stories yet when they show us this, we've kinda missed out on how rich this is, and what it could have been.

Loki:

I've rewatched this a few times and I will rewatch it again. It's a good take on the concept of Loki, what his iterations are or could have been. Loki, again, another character trapped in other people's stories has a chance to find his true self, and come to acceptance, and growth from it. Yea it's goofy and banal but it still is kinda good that it took falling in love with himself to see it.

Kang was great and that was a fine line to write and for the actor to play. What is troubling is how much like that version of Kang (with how nuts he is) the Big Bad version of Kang will be. I have no idea what that dude's motivation will be to conquer everything, because this Kang made such a good case on his way of doing things.

The most important thing to me, really, is that Classic Loki and the guy that plays him, is able to come back and stays around. Richard E. Grant is a great actor.

What If?:

It was a neat take on some alternate universe type of stories and probably had some fan service. It sucked that Killmonger couldn't be a better version. Was neat to see how worlds fall apart in other universes.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings:
Part of the WCU.

It had some good fight sequences. I liked the cinematic touches that were reminiscent of storytelling in Chinese cinema like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Eternals:
A beautifully shot stinker of a movie.

I watched it through for the hot chicks but they didn't even get naked.

Hawkeye:
Yet ANOTHER character trapped in everyone else's story. It was a good show.

I guess you could call it handing of the torch but it's also a lot about the effects of superhero life, and letting a guy who had suffered so much to be happy. Which, if you think about it, is unfair because so far we just see the dudes ride off into the sunset after living lovely lives/being heroes but you know, Natasha is dead and Wanda is, you know.

Making the successor a fangirl who wasn't (yet) mired in all the poo poo of superhero life- but being honest about it, and easing her into it so that she could make her idol proud and also show off her abilities that were so under-utilized was a good way to do it.

It still really sucks for her. Some people were lucky enough (ms. marvel) to have her family there for all of it. She had her family torn apart and forced to defend her life in really crummy ways. Did she bite off more than she could chew? Absolutely.

Spider-Man: No Way Home:
A great cap to the trilogy and a ton of tongue in cheek dialogue and references.

Very fun to watch other characters redeem themselves while Peter, and his friends, are about to be thrust into adulthood.

Just all around great. Except for the fact that Doctor Strange was just a loving rear end in a top hat. Everyone else felt 'real'.

Moon Knight:
Every day I wake UP
Then I start to break UP

Well, I love this too. On my third rewatch.

Oscar is a really good actor, and you wonder why Ethan Hawke isn't getting more work. The motivations for just about everyone were pretty clear except for what caused the breakup of Harrow and Khonshu.

The costumes and the difference of fighting styles between each personality was done well, too.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness:
Part of the WCU.

So, Strange has been such a loving rear end in a top hat thinking he's king poo poo in every other movie there's really no way for it to be believable that he'd ever change.

That is until he's faced with other versions of himself and he gets to see the outcome of his self-centeredness.

That is done well in this movie.

America does feel like she truly belongs nowhere. She's just a citizen of the multiverse.

Wanda? Well, this ruins it. I thought she had growth, understanding, guilt, all that loving poo poo from WandaVision, but noooope. Just gonna be evil: "It's for the kids!" to steal a line from WandaVision.

And, it's great to see the Illuminati. Good hopes for future characters to appear but how she was able to rip them apart puts her character in another lovely place:

If Kang is the Big Bad of the saga, then is she just going to be relegated to being a goon for another bad guy?

What the gently caress?

Good movie otherwise.

Ms. Marvel:
One one hand, big props for putting the upheaval of partition into more people's minds. On the other hand, oof about also making it a moment in some genie war.

Other than that, it's a fun look at family dynamics and societal expectations. Kamala is lucky and benefits from having a lot of strong supportive people in her life.

While there are mature themes, it does look like this was made for a younger audience.

Thor: Love and Thunder:
It's a great way to top Ragnarok.

The scenes with GotG are pretty much what happens when Thor got his groove back. He's almost as bombastic and a braggart as he was when he originally lost the hammer (also, you know, he lost the hammer again), but without all the lovely part of being an Asgardian Bro. He really does want to help people, and is over enthusiastic about it. Is it a problem? Yea, but loads better than when he was purely seeking glory in war.

He still doesn't know how to work with people. He was barely tolerated with the GotG crew. But who wants to talk back to a god who could fry you with lightning?

So, we drag back an old character and give him some skin in the game again. But, while the movie is great fun to watch, we see that the stakes for Thor aren't going to change him for the most part. Maybe that's why it felt hollow to you. He's still Thor, but now Thor: Dad.

Maybe it's about the friends you ma... err, maybe it's really all about you're not gonna really ever change the gods that much.

She-Hulk:
Part of the WCU.

bla bla bla societal expectations, sexism, the troubles of women in the workplace, all so powerful that even a 7 foot tall super strong woman feel like she still has to watch her step and not really fitting in anywhere.

yadda yadda Tatiana Maslany is a really good actor, perfectly cast, and i don't think anyone else could play the role as well.

doop doop good lighthearted comedy for the fun of it and makes it fun to watch so far. I love the 4th wall breaking.... constantly.

you know, PLUR but also i think her secretary is hot, so who's to say whether or not i'm a pig?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This could be loving cool, since it's from Firaxis. Concept is really weird with the cards, but I will give it a shot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlhFyxzPnhc

gotta love them marbles

As someone who loves Marvel, Card Games and Turn based combat, I am so hyped for this game. I really wish they would stop shoving player created characters into everything though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The MCU used to be action movies with some comedy. Now they’re comedy movies with some action!

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Whether you’re answering panicked help desk calls from VPs, connecting a dozen offices into a single conference room or keeping priceless data away from cyber-terrorists, all you IT professionals are the superheroes of the business world. Sure, we don’t flip through comic books or sell out movie theaters to see what you do best, but there is a popular group of people whose adventures and feats mimic those occurring all over the IT industry: The Avengers.

The Avengers is perhaps the most formidable team of superheroes ever assembled. When alien God Loki sought to make himself king of Earth and almost wiped out Manhattan in his quest, the Avengers stepped up to save the day. So we wondered; which IT job would suit each member best?

Iron Man – Software Developer

It’s not enough for a software developer to be a master engineer – which Tony Stark, aka Iron Man, is. The best developers know how to inspire; to take an ocean of code and intricate design and turn it into a fully-immersive user experience. As a billionaire playboy with a personality to match, Stark knows what it takes to capture the imagination. He’s always creating something brilliant, including the aforementioned Ultron, and has the brains to stay successful for the long run. Besides, can you imagine the launch parties he’d hold just for the incremental updates?

Black Widow – Information Security

When you’re tasked with preventing the security disasters and protecting valuable information, it helps to be a master strategist and tactician. In fact, with the growing emphasis on security in the IT industry, information security specialists may sometimes need to take the lead on projects. Black Widow has done so on several occasions. Tasks like internally hacking spy agency S.H.I.E.L.D. after boarding a ship and taking out a dozen goons are no problem for this femme fatale. It takes the sharpest mind to stay one step ahead of bad guys. With Black Widow’s enhanced intellect and proven tactic and strategist abilities from her espionage background, it’s clear she has the smarts and the skills.

The Hulk – Hardware Services and Infrastructure

Generally speaking, IT work requires a fine touch and nuanced thinking. But there are some jobs that are just too heavy duty for finesse. Hardware and infrastructure involve challenges that are not only mentally taxing but physically intimidating. And while you don’t need all the brawn of Hulk, it doesn’t hurt to have a smashing attitude. The Hulk is a master at getting the job done in the simplest, most direct manner possible. For example, he took out Loki by simply smashing him repeatedly on the floor. Sure, there are times when IT work gets frustrating, even maddening. But that’s when Hulk is at his best.

Captain America – Professional IT Trainer

There’s no doubt about it: Cap is the Avengers’ professional IT trainer. He’s been around awhile – seriously, he was frozen for about seventy years – so the old timer knows what he’s doing. A professional IT trainer has to design training programs, help others develop skills and, most importantly, support and coach newbies. Captain America’s Army history makes him perfect for training and development, and leadership is where Cap shines best. In the end, it doesn’t matter if it’s on the battlefield or in the tech field, Captain America is always by your side and ready to take the lead.

Thor – Network and Cloud Technologies Professional

Working as a network and cloud tech pro means you’ve got an arsenal of innovative skills and are used to handling complex, special projects. Out of all the Avengers, Thor is hands down the team’s network and cloud tech pro. He is the Norse God of Thunder after all. He’s also a great leader; see his past battles with his band of merry Asgardians. And he has mad innovation skills, like using his hammer, Mjolnir, to control lightning, bash baddies and even fly through space. Don’t forget that managing complex special projects is right up his alley as well: How about that time he saved all of the nine realms from Malekith and the Dark Elves during the Convergence? It’s all in a day’s work for this big guy, no matter if he’s taking the Bifrost or a car to work.

Hawkeye – IT Management and Strategy Professional

As an IT management and strategy pro, you’ve got to have the analytical abilities and communication skills to direct your team to success. Hawkeye is no backseat driver. He’s always in the fray, ready to take control and help the Avengers succeed. Determining and clarifying strategic and operational problems? Identifying and assessing the pros and cons of possible strategies? No problem. Hawkeye helped strategize the battle plan to take down the Chitauri as they tried to destroy Manhattan (thanks Loki). It’s the quiet confidence in his skills that Hawkeye can depend on in battle, or in a parallel universe; the office.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
My major problem with Thor: Love and Thunder is that Ragnarok was just a way better story, which continued on to End Game.

Hela was a better threat. She destroyed Asguard, killed his friends on screen, busted Mjolnir.

Thor had to completely re-figure himself out. He had to re-learn what he was, now that Odin was dead. He changed his relationships with Hulk and Loki. Hela made him chose to call a great enemy to defeat her, and wipe his home from existence to save what people he could. Also, Jeff Goldblum was fun.

He then confronted his failure once again at the hands of Thanos, with Loki dying as well. Was held back by fear, doubt and failure and then found that heroic spark in himself again after talking to the Frigga, and reconnecting with Mjolnir.

Gorr

Killed a bunch of Gods, the vast majority were off screen. Kidnapped some children, which is bad, I guess but more cliché villain move, than threatening. When Gorr did fight on screen, was pretty soundly held off by two Thors and Valkyrie. It never felt like Thor(s) were ever in danger, or even on the back foot when dealing with Gorr. The stakes just didn't feel as high, or really even personal to Thor, who was pretty breezy, and it felt weird with kids in danger. Jane didn't get much time to settle into her new role either, which is unfortunate. I really liked Mighty Thor in the comics, so it was a bit of a let down.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

kntfkr posted:

i don't get it

Because he speaks French and is a fantastic actor and good human being? I mean have you SEEN The city of lost children? Le cities de enfant perdue? Watch that poo poo.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
I feel like phase 4 has just not had any stones but it REALLY wants to. Every entry sorta leaves me feeling like there was a huge promise that not only ALMOST played out but then there was some kind of alteration at the last minute due to studio interference, producers, or company mandate which hampered the production. Falcon and Winter Soldier really feels like the best example, which Gavok also pointed out, that John Walker is a great antagonist and there is some really cool social commentary that kind of feels hollow by this weird, quirky likeability that they try to shove at you near the end, and a similar criticism applies to Flagsmasher where they had something they wanted to say but dropped the ball. There is poo poo like this in every entry so far and it doesn't feel like it's the victim of bad talent but people involved getting cold feet because they don't trust the audience.

thin blue whine fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 15, 2022

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

PicklePants posted:

My major problem with Thor: Love and Thunder is that Ragnarok was just a way better story, which continued on to End Game.

Hela was a better threat. She destroyed Asguard, killed his friends on screen, busted Mjolnir.

Thor had to completely re-figure himself out. He had to re-learn what he was, now that Odin was dead. He changed his relationships with Hulk and Loki. Hela made him chose to call a great enemy to defeat her, and wipe his home from existence to save what people he could. Also, Jeff Goldblum was fun.

He then confronted his failure once again at the hands of Thanos, with Loki dying as well. Was held back by fear, doubt and failure and then found that heroic spark in himself again after talking to the Frigga, and reconnecting with Mjolnir.

As another example of what I'm saying, having Jane Foster as Thor is a very cool idea and the comic it's adapted from is cool so it has a lot of promise but they made Chris Hemsworth the lead and he really should have been a supporting character, because his whole arc has played out in a really satisfying way already and over the last decade. There is no way Disney would do that though, it's too risky.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ya but also good luck getting Natalie Portman to commit to however many films that would take.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Doctor Butts posted:

Ya but also good luck getting Natalie Portman to commit to however many films that would take.

I kinda liked Idris Elba showing up and going, "lol we can get paid hella money to be in a movie for 30 seconds whenever we want now welcome to heaven"

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Jane Foster being like "I'm also a Thor now" is silly because yo lady that's his first name

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Love and Thunder should have just been the scene with Thor naked for 120 minutes with increasingly risqué camera angles

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
At the risk of stealing other peoples complaints, it’s not established in any way shape or form that Jane Foster is worthy of being Thor or wielding Mjolnir. If you’re going to retcon stuff like Thor asking the hammer to protect her, a bit more detail would have helped this plot point.

The hammer tasked with protecting her is making her even sicker than she would have been without it. Lazy.

Gorr thinks that gods are selfish assholes who never help anyone or answer prayers. Kidnapping children is a pointless game plan, then. The gods don’t care, according to him. Let’s be clear here, he feels strongly enough about the rightness of his stance that he’s committed multiple murders for it. Also lazy.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
They're still making Marvel movies?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Applewhite posted:

They're still making Marvel movies?

They tried to stop, they wanted to, but the mouse said he'd shoot them if they did.

He's done it before, the mouse don't gently caress around when moneys involved.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The modern Godzilla movies are a fun series that uses the whole connected universe concept well. Started with a decent enough Godzilla reboot movie in the present. Then there was a very different King Kong movie taking place in the 70's with an absolutely stacked cast that had loose Godzilla connections and a post-credits scene foreshadowing the next Godzilla movie. Godzilla: King of the Monsters was a massive Godzilla/Mothra vs. Ghidorah/Rodan tag team movie (with a couple Kong cameos) that unfortunately didn't do well in the box office. They were already deep into making Godzilla vs. Kong, so they couldn't kill the series off just yet*. Then Godzilla vs. Kong won the covid lottery by being one of the first movies to be a success due to the big rebound of people feeling desperate enough to go to theaters for a big enough movie. Now they're working on a sequel.

* Back when that sounded logical to Warner Bros.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gavok posted:

The modern Godzilla movies are a fun series that uses the whole connected universe concept well. Started with a decent enough Godzilla reboot movie in the present. Then there was a very different King Kong movie taking place in the 70's with an absolutely stacked cast that had loose Godzilla connections and a post-credits scene foreshadowing the next Godzilla movie. Godzilla: King of the Monsters was a massive Godzilla/Mothra vs. Ghidorah/Rodan tag team movie (with a couple Kong cameos) that unfortunately didn't do well in the box office. They were already deep into making Godzilla vs. Kong, so they couldn't kill the series off just yet*. Then Godzilla vs. Kong won the covid lottery by being one of the first movies to be a success due to the big rebound of people feeling desperate enough to go to theaters for a big enough movie. Now they're working on a sequel.

* Back when that sounded logical to Warner Bros.

I've been reading about it on IMDB after reading this post and I saw this:

one of director Adam Wingard's early thoughts upon taking the film was "I just want to see Godzilla and King Kong fighting in a synthwave neon city, that is 100% my main drive". He credits the film's visual effects artists for delivering on that dream.

This is a director who understands Godzilla and King Kong movies :hmmyes:

Reading other quotes by him too it's really clear that he actually does understand giant monster movies and what makes them great - like how ultimately it's all about giant monsters duking it out or smashing things and that's the most important thing to feature, but also getting the viewer to empathize with them and see them as something other than 'just' giant monsters so they get invested in the fight.
I don't know how so many directors have really failed with the premise, it's incredibly easy to formulate. But look at other big attempts like Cloverfield - the monster is barely shown, you almost never see it just wrecking things, and most of the action invovles humans and small parasites that dropped off the monster. Why make a giant monster movie if it's not going to be about the monster?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 15, 2022

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

the stuff is ok and i watch it when im bored

having a very strong opinion about some poo poo disney is producing to make a lot of money seems like a waste of time

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

MrQwerty posted:

I kinda liked Idris Elba showing up and going, "lol we can get paid hella money to be in a movie for 30 seconds whenever we want now welcome to heaven"

I also like how this scene kind of thumbed its nose at the movie's own mythology by letting Natalie Portman into Valhalla even though she didn't die
IN battle--which is a rule that they explicitly explained earlier in the film

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I also like how this scene kind of thumbed its nose at the movie's own mythology by letting Natalie Portman into Valhalla even though she didn't die
IN battle--which is a rule that they explicitly explained earlier in the film

She died battling cancer :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

This is a director who understands Godzilla and King Kong movies :hmmyes: