Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
So they prioritize acquiring top transfers at the expense of high school recruiting suffering somewhat. It doesn't have quite the same stigma as going heavy on the JUCO players.

Edit: I like this:

https://twitter.com/WKUFootball/status/1570426453690568704?t=c7X-9nAZ6qP0S0WPDa5pYw&s=19

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

LLCoolJD posted:

So they prioritize acquiring top transfers at the expense of high school recruiting suffering somewhat. It doesn't have quite the same stigma as going heavy on the JUCO players.

Edit: I like this:

https://twitter.com/WKUFootball/status/1570426453690568704?t=c7X-9nAZ6qP0S0WPDa5pYw&s=19

Replace all numbers on the field with Big Red wearing a jersey with said number.

Basically just cover the field in Big Reds

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1570443067320041472

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

gently caress yeah they brought back the elf

elf owns

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Scarf posted:

Replace all numbers on the field with THE ELF.

Basically just cover the field in ELFS

downout
Jul 6, 2009

when was it originally scheduled?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

But won't that be an inconvenience for fans if a West Coast team makes ok I'll stop there

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

LLCoolJD posted:

So they prioritize acquiring top transfers at the expense of high school recruiting suffering somewhat.

That could work for any large city school. Always going to be a big chunk of kids that just want to leave town, and some of them will inevitably want to come back.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

But won't that be an inconvenience for fans if a West Coast team makes ok I'll stop there

It is in Los Angeles though so kind of weird.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
https://twitter.com/PeterBurnsESPN/status/1570455381108789249

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I've got a treat for you late night watchers. NDSU travels to Arizona for a 10pm (Central time) game. I know Arizona probably plays a bunch of late games but it's pretty smart of them to schedule it that late because NDSU almost always kicks off at noon.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I think people tend to forget a couple of things about the firing of Frank Solich from Nebraska. He took over a program that went 60-3 over five years. Then:

9-4
12-1
10-2
11-2 ... Eric Crouch and the rest of Tom Osborne's recruits are pretty much all gone at this point...
7-7
9-3

He probably should have been shown the door after the 7-7 season. Over the last two games of the 2001 season and the entire 2002 season, Nebraska was 7-9 with losses:

36-62 to Colorado
14-37 to Miami, in a game Miami could have named its score
7-40 to Penn State
14-36 to Iowa State
21-24 to Oklahoma State
24-27 to Texas
13-49 to Kansas State
13-28 to Colorado
23-27 to Ole Miss

Then in Solich's final season in Lincoln, the three losses were:

24-41 to Missouri
7-31 to Texas
9-38 to Kansas State

Between the tail end of the 2001 season and the 2002 season (16 games total) Nebraska lost six games by at least two touchdowns. That should have been the end of the Solich era at Nebraska. But the otherwise competent athletic director at the time was planning a move to College Station, Texas and didn't pull the trigger.

The other thing I think a lot of people that don't follow Nebraska football closely forget is that a couple years after getting the axe at Nebraska:

quote:

In 2005, police in Athens, Ohio found Solich passed out behind the wheel of his car, facing the wrong direction on a one-way street. Solich was convicted of drunken driving, resulting in a $250 fine and driver's license suspension.[7] He attempted to fight this based on testing that revealed the "date rape" drug GHB in his system. His attempt to withdraw his plea failed.

The only reason Frost didn't get fired last year is because the losses were close. I think most Nebraska fans are willing to accept losses as long as the games are competitive and the program isn't embarrassing. Pelini couldn't do either of those things. The losses tended to be embarassing:

2009 7-9 Iowa State, 0-8 turnover margin, four turnovers inside the ISU five yard line
2011 17-48 to Russell Wilson Wisconsin in the first-ever Big Ten conference game
2011 17-45 to Michigan
2011 13-30 to South Carolina in the Citrus Bowl
2012 30-36 UCLA the defensive-guru-Pelini-led defense gave up 653 total yards
2012 38-63 to Ohio State D-FENCE!
2012 31-70 Big Ten Championship Game against third-in-the-East-Division Wisconsin
2012 31-45 to Georgia in another Citrus Bowl
2013 21-41 to UCLA, who scored 31 unanswered points to finish the game
2013 23-34 to Minnesota... first loss to the Gophers since 1960 (16 straight)
2013 28-41 to Michigan State (five turnovers, a Pelini staple it seemed like)
2013 17-38 to Iowa
2014 24-59 Wisconsin game where Melvin Gordon went apeshit for over 400 yards rushing).

That 2013 season also featured the first tape leak where Pelini expressed a strong desire to leave Nebraska and a dislike of the fan base. Pelini also gave an extremely rude halftime interview during the Iowa game and dared the AD to fire him after the game. Pelini also had a habit of answering any critical question with something to the tune of "you saw it, what do you think?". You can be a dick like that when you're winning big games. Nebraska wasn't at this point. Pelini's time in Lincoln should have been over after the 2013 regular season.

The AD had ammunition in Pelini's abrasive attitude, the declining on-field product, and the leaked recording. I think the public and the media would have accepted it much more readily than they did after the 2014 season. That season included a feel-good win over Miami, a close loss to a then-top-ten Michigan State, and a win over Iowa to close out the regular season. The firing immediately after that game was a head-scratcher, and the decision to replace Pelini with inexplicable #1 target Mike Riley after was really strange.

Under a series of coaches that could be called flawed individuals or total dipshits, Nebraska has consistently brought in higher-ranked recruiting classes than the other teams in its division. If the AD can find the right coach I think it is reasonable to expect to consistently contend for the Big Ten west (as it has been since 2011, the calculus here changes after California expansion). The new factor is NIL, and I think Nebraska is at a minimum competitive with other teams in the division on this front, even with recent dogshit product on the field.

Another Frost tidbit: in over four years in Lincoln, he lost every single game where he faced a coach in his first year at the school. Frost lost to first-year head coach Mel Tucker TWICE, once at Colorado and again at Michigan State.

I think Nebraska will try to get:

Urban Meyer
Dave Aranda at Baylor
The Kentucky Stoops brother, who might be looking to run a program that isn't in basketball's shadow
Chris Klieman at Kansas State
Matt Campbell at Iowa State (though the shine is off the apple a bit in this case)

I think Nebraska will try to avoid:

any hot coordinator that hasn't been a P5 head coach
any hot G5 coach (sorry Jamey Chadwell)
Lance Leipold (the last guy Nebraska hired after one lighting in a bottle season didn't work out so well)
please god don't hire Craig Bohl

I think Nebraska should strongly consider Bill O'Brien. He has experience taking over a Big Ten program in extreme distress and righting the ship. He can sell that "develop you for the NFL" concept.

It really is too bad that Joe Moglia (head coach and architect of Coastal Carolina's football program before Jamey Chadwell) isn't healthy enough to take the Nebraska job. He re-launched his coaching there under Bo Pelini after stepping down as CEO of Ameritrade. The term CEO coach is thrown around a lot, but this dude actually was a CEO.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 15, 2022

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

wandler20 posted:

I've got a treat for you late night watchers. NDSU travels to Arizona for a 10pm (Central time) game. I know Arizona probably plays a bunch of late games but it's pretty smart of them to schedule it that late because NDSU almost always kicks off at noon.
Don't forget that Arizona is currently on Pacific time because the state doesn't observe daylight savings. This game is extra late for NDSU.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PBCrunch posted:

The Kentucky Stoops brother, who might be looking to run a program that isn't in basketball's shadow

We’re in one of those rare trying not to think about the basketball program years actually. It’s the first one since Gillispie fell flat on his face.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 16, 2022

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
With all due disrespect to TAMU it feels like Nebraska should be able to at least get to that level

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
Somehow none of those Nebraska losses include the 2016 Ohio State game that ended up 62-3. I was excited to see Ohio State play a good team at home because I’d only ever seen them play MAC teams or Indiana. Spending around $300 on that between ticket, Uber home afterwards, and beer was enough to put me off live sporting events for a long time.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

My thing with Solich is that he left Nebraska, went to a middling MAC team, coached there forever, did OK and retired.....all while, if memory serves, never really being a top target for any other P5 jobs? Am I missing one?

Hey, if paddling around the small pond works for you, then by all means do it, but obviously Nebraska circa 2003 was looking for a guy with more oomph than that.

PBCrunch posted:

Pelini's time in Lincoln should have been over after the 2013 regular season.

But then you might not have been privy to this, the Most Todd Grantham Thing Ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7oZnPDqtSw

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 16, 2022

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

D.N. Nation posted:

Hey, if paddling around the small pond works for you, then by all means do it, but obviously Nebraska circa 2003 was looking for a guy with more oomph than that.

Yeah, but firing him to hire the guy that the Raiders openly rebelled against and in the only time I can remember the press and fans were totally on the team's side while it was happening was certainly a choice though.

Charles Woodson was like 'gently caress this guy I am not playing for him' and Nebraska sees this and thinks, 'That's our man!'

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

That's an epic mega post and you'll look like a prophet if the next Nebraska coach turns things around. I have to say, though, I chuckled at how it wrapped up with a pitch for BoB.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah, but firing him to hire the guy that the Raiders openly rebelled against and in the only time I can remember the press and fans were totally on the team's side while it was happening was certainly a choice though.

Charles Woodson was like 'gently caress this guy I am not playing for him' and Nebraska sees this and thinks, 'That's our man!'

Yeah Nebraska was probably right to fire all of these guys post-Osborne, it’s who they replaced them with is the issue.

Given that, Derek Dooley’s Nebraska Cornhuskers

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Nebraska coach Will Muschamp

stump collector
May 28, 2007
the gator bowl
brought to you by
taxslayer.com

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

Nebraska coach Will Muschamp

Hey, he won 9 games in 2017, and Nebraska lately, well

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

D.N. Nation posted:

Hey, he won 9 games in 2017, and Nebraska lately, well

He’s Bo Pelini

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I did not know how badly I wanted for Nebraska to hire Bill O'Brien until just now

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Grittybeard posted:

Bill Callahan was like, plan D

Nebraska AD first choice was Mike Sherman

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Tom Osborne has been instrumental in the choice and/or hiring of 3 of our last 5 coaches. He has talents but coaching hires is not among them.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

GD_American posted:

I did not know how badly I wanted for Nebraska to hire Bill O'Brien until just now

i dunno how you look at the "job" he's done with bryce young and think "yes this is the man i want molding nebraska's talent for the next 3 years"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i think since the shine's allegedly off the apple that matt campbell would be the best pickup for nebraska; failing that, i think steve clinkscale from michigan or maybe even a left field choice like justin wilcox or jason candle could work there

failing that, maybe it's time to go back to the option. go get jeff monken

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

wandler20 posted:

I feel like if all these schools are losing to FCS sc hools Arizona is hosed playing the FCS champ.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Declan MacManus posted:

i dunno how you look at the "job" he's done with bryce young and think "yes this is the man i want molding nebraska's talent for the next 3 years"

I'll tell you how-

I'm an Alabama alum

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Declan MacManus posted:

i think since the shine's allegedly off the apple that matt campbell would be the best pickup for nebraska; failing that, i think steve clinkscale from michigan or maybe even a left field choice like justin wilcox or jason candle could work there

failing that, maybe it's time to go back to the option. go get jeff monken

I'm thinking of a former Big Ten head coach, with ample power 5 and NFL assistant/coordinator experience. It can't just be anyone, that coaching needs to be from a place with high expectations and a prouder history than Lincoln. At minimum, more national championships.

If you like a coach who was hired at Florida, FSU, Texas, Texas A&M, UNC, Minnesota, and Mississippi State, Deion's got the perfect coach for you. The only remaining question is How do you like your chili?

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.
I mean - I'm sure its been mentioned, but if you want a genuinely nice guy who has proven he can win at Nebraska, the best candidate is this guy:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wandler20 posted:

I think there’s actually state laws about when UA/ASU/NAU can hold games due to the heat, think it has to be that late for the first month or so of the season.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Adun posted:

With all due disrespect to TAMU it feels like Nebraska should be able to at least get to that level

TAMU is located in Texas, plays games in all the SEC states, cares about football as much as anyone, and has more money to throw around than any other school currently in the SEC. That’s a lot of advantages over Nebraska.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
Have y'all ever seen Frank Solich in person? He's a tiny man.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Thermos H Christ posted:

TAMU is located in Texas, plays games in all the SEC states, cares about football as much as anyone, and has more money to throw around than any other school currently in the SEC. That’s a lot of advantages over Nebraska.

Counterpoint: they have not won a natty since before television was invented

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

Counterpoint: they have not won a natty since before television was invented

They haven’t even won a conference title since 1998.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Adun posted:

8-4 and delusions of grandeur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

JohnCompany posted:

8-4 and delusions of grandeur?

Sold