Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

It's been ten years since my tank died of blue-green algae. I just didn't have the heart to try again. My tank and equipment has been languishing in a unused corner of the office ever since.

I'm going to try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

My tank has been sitting dry for 10 years and I'm getting conflicting information on whether or not to reseal. Am I going to have to reseal it or is it fine if it doesn't leak?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

The good news. I found where most of the rest of the stuff was. The bad news. It was being stored outside (thanks, Mom.) Luckily, most of the things ruined were chemicals that probably expired anyway. The big ticket item, my Eheim quick vac, works fine. I also found two unopened bags of substrate. A bag of Caribsea Eco-Complete Red and a bag of Seachem Flourite Black Sand.

Things to get: aquarium-safe silicone, new filter media, new testing chemicals, root tabs, LED lighting.
Things to do: Reseal tank, clean filter and heater, move tank downstairs.

Question. Does Flourish and Flourish Iron expire? I'm reading that Flourish does degrade but Flourish Iron is just... iron, isn't it?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Things to get: aquarium-safe silicone, new filter media, new testing chemicals, root tabs, LED lighting.
Things to do: Reseal tank, clean filter and heater, move tank downstairs.

Local pet store didn't have any API master test kits but they did happen to have filter media. I am going to the Big City™ on Saturday and I'll go to a real pet store and pick up a test kit and fertilizers and stuff. The big thing is the LED lighting and I honestly don't know where to start. I'm going for a moderate light tank for a 29 gallon. I think I'm going to try for the same plants as last time with a few substitutions.

Plant list

Myrio Red(I remember this being a real growslut)
Pygmy Chain Sword(sub for dwarf sag because I didn't like what the sag was doing)
Willow Hygro
Anubias Nana
Anubias Congensis
Some kind of sword, preferably red.

The anubias are low light, all the rest are moderate light. Thinking about trying a Finnex Planted + but I am pretty lost.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I've been super happy with my Fluval Plant 3.0 lights. Have a pair of them up and running on my 75g high tech tank for a little over a year now and getting great results. I had a Finnex Planted+ that died within a year, so I recommend against those, but some people love them.

Everyone seems to like the Fluval Plant 3.0 but it's a bit pricier. It DOES come with a 3 year warranty though. And it does have an app instead of an overly-complicated remote.

Well, I've got something to think about while I'm resealing my tank tomorrow.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Heh. Been reading up a bit on my prospective plant picks and I find out the red myrio is banned in several states for being a noxious weed. I guess that explains why it always did so well. As for the sword, I wanted something that would be both red and small. Hadi Red Pearl seems to fit the bill, too bad it seems to be sold out in a lot of places. I don't need plants right now though. I need to get my supplies and gear first.

I think I want to get the Fluval Plant 3.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I wasn't able to finish sealing the tank today. It turns out to take significantly longer to remove the silicone when you only have a few loose razorblades. I got 7 out of 8 seams done. The index finger I was using to grip the blades STILL feels weird even hours later. And this is only cutting off most of it, I'm going to have to go back and scrape the glass and wipe it down with acetone. Super not fun, I can see why people are tempted to just buy new tanks.