Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tangentially related, but is there any reason to buy silk/plastic plants unless you have like, koi fish that will eat them?

Seems like silk plants are rough on fish, provide extra algae growing area, don't pull any nutrients out of the water, cost about the same price?

I guess real plants occasionally shed leaves and need more light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So in the pond now I have ~8 rosy reds, 12 killifish and 7 rice fish, I think the killifish and rice fish lay 20+ eggs a week, each, under normal pond conditions

And then I have 3x 3-4" goldfish

I just do not understand how fish survive in the wild. Two of the goldfish are pretty chill, but the fantail just wanders between the clumps of Java/Christmas moss I have glued down, presumably looking for snacks eggs?

How do any eggs manage to hatch in the wild? Is it just sheer number of eggs, that eventually one egg gets missed and not eaten, finally to hatch as a fry?

And then what? The fry needs to somehow survive hiding in the plants and roots long enough to get big enough to outswim it's predators? I should just accept that I'll never have any full grown fish as descendants of my original pond stock, unless I put them in a breeding tank?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Should we kill this thread and wait until someone makes a thread with a proper OP

I'm in favor of periodically renewing megathreads, but it's extremely poor forums hygiene to have two competing megathreads with massively overlapping topics such as this

Several other people have complained and this has been going on for too long now

Please report this post, thanks. Preferably with a link to Rick astley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ