Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I found this book at a used bookstore and the cover spoke to me (someone please make tape drive with a gun an emote):

the suggested book titles gives us a clue as to the target audience:

On page 4 we meet our first hero that we stan:

WHOMST AMONG US no. 1 of many:

WHOMST AMONG US no. 2, with the band name "computer-terrorist women" up for grabs:

Further updates and excerpts to come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

1978 business writer basically a 2022 woke podcaster

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

always make sure your fungible insurance policies are marked so they don't get mixes up with your non fungible insurance policies

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Why would someone -

Oh.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

it turns out you do not need to know computer science or electrical engineering to do a ponzi. you just need to bet on the detroit pistons

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

earliest known example of a smart contract

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

sorry for the delay; I had to read nona the ninth before all the artists I follow started spoiling it with fanart.

continuing "literally every financial scam in the 70s is happening in crypto today":

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

broke: ransomware
woke: COMPUTER-TAPE HIJACKING

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

woe to the ad targeting business, reduced from spending millions for a stolen list of 3 millions encyclopedia owners to just buying everyone's purchase history from a shopping cart api for fifty cents and a length of twine

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

i could swear this is actually legal now

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

or is it the case that it's illegal for an individual officer to sell it but it's legal for the police department to sell access to the records outright?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

capex vs opex lawl

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

hey look it's the east district of texas

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

that's a lot of words for "the beatings will continue until the spreadsheet cell improves"

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

wage theft is a computer crime

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

the invention of fuzzing

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

just the programmer or the computer too?

for computers you need to drown it in gasoline and have it lit on fire by computer-terrorist women

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

desperately want to read this paper

:getin:

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

aw yeah that's the poo poo

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

someone tell me what parnas modularity is

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

We'll conclude this book with the actual exploitation of the univac itself, which gave me huge vibes of that awesome book "Virus!" from the 1980s that had 3d renders of dinosaurs and poo poo in it

This was fun and I'll have to do it again with another old computer book. maybe that Virus! one if I can find it.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

found a second copy that was beat up enough that I didn’t feel bad debinding and scanning: https://archive.org/details/thomas-whiteside-computer-capers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

graph posted:

this was a great thread op! goldmine iyo?

nah not worth a goldmine but I would love to see someone turn the tape drive with a gun into an emote