Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Cythereal posted:

Unless he was ordered to. Something else he's been quite strict about is that he's loyal to the letter of his given orders.

I don't think that's true?

The only dialogue we have from the Death Knight is:

The Goddess' Right of Rebirth posted:

Mysterious Mage: Death Knight! Prove your strength and scatter these fools!
Death Knight: I don't take commands. Or waste my time on weaklings.
Dimitri: That knight looks like he has experience. It would be foolish to challenge him recklessly.

He seems to just willingly disobey orders because he doesn't want to fight weak people.

We have a little additional for his dialogue if you engage him which is:

quote:

Death Knight: I told you that if you fled, I would not chase you. But it seems you wish to die...

Again, he just doesn't seem to care unless provoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Natural 20 posted:

I don't think that's true?

The only dialogue we have from the Death Knight is:

He seems to just willingly disobey orders because he doesn't want to fight weak people.

We have a little additional for his dialogue if you engage him which is:

Again, he just doesn't seem to care unless provoked.

He was being ordered around by Arundel. I took that dialogue to be 'you aren't my master, pissant, and I don't give a poo poo what you want me to do.'

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Cythereal posted:

He was being ordered around by [Spoiler Tags Please]. I took that dialogue to be 'you aren't my master, pissant, and I don't give a poo poo what you want me to do.'

At this point, it seems like he was ordered by the Flame Emperor to assist the Western Church folks with their heist. He was only loaned out to the guy whose name we don't know yet (spoiler that, if you would) after they'd failed in their scheme. But yes, Mysterious Mage wasn't DK's boss, and so he refused to follow orders.

As I said, I do think that it would be interesting if the Death Knight was a figure shrouded in myth who wasn't actually as fearsome as the rumors say. It's hard to say if this is a clumsy fumble of writing or not, but it certainly feels like he's strong, but not exactly the bloodthirsty monster folks claim he is.

e: Basically, it seems to me that the writers don't know what they want from this character. Both interpretations, that he's a bloodthirsty monster or that he's just being puffed up by histrionic rumor-mongering seem correct because he's more of a concept than a character and isn't fully fleshed-out. He's given a bit more screentime in the DLC and even that doesn't give a definitive answer to the question, since it provides fuel for either interpretation. I don't think that he's bad, but he's really one-note and mostly just kind of exists.

Blastinus fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 9, 2023

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Blastinus posted:

Basically, it seems to me that the writers don't know what they want from this character.

That's something you could say about more than half the cast in this game. Makes me want more detailed leaks for every change in development.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

I really hate this minigame.

Anyway, hello, we're not actually starting the investigation. You see, we've gone and let supports pile up again, so it's time for yet another round-up. Don't worry about the kidnapping. Whatever's happened with Flayn can surely wait until the end of the month.

Dimitri/Ashe C

: Absolutely!
: Sorry, I should probably take care of it myself, but we'd be here until sundown if I—
: No problem at all! I've had lots of practice with things like this. Happy to help however I can.
: Oh. Well, thanks. Actually, I'll fetch you something to make the job less of a burden. You like sweet things, right?
: Ah. Well, yes...

: Ashe... I've told you, there's no need to act like that.
: I can't have someone from the royal family running errands for me. It doesn't feel right.

There's actually a bit that gets added if you haven't fought Lonato yet. Quite a few supports either add lines, modify them, or take them away based on where you are, story-wise.

: I really don't mind, so you needn't worry about that. And while I'm being candid... I'd prefer it if you didn't speak so formally to me. We're supposed to be allies. We've fought side-by-side as equals, haven't we?
: I know. But to commoners like me, you're royalty. Regular folks normally only lay eyes on someone like you once or twice in their whole lives.
: I understand. I really do. When I ascend the throne, perhaps I should do a tour of each city...
: What? No, that's not what I meant!

: That is certainly not my intention. Perhaps I should leave you be and take care of our shopping...
: Please, I promise I'll go myself just as soon as I've finished with the tent!
: Ashe. Enough.

Dimitri's supports seem to deal often with the fact that people have a different expectation of royalty than Dimitri himself is comfortable with. He'd prefer to just handle things on his own, while folks want to defer to him and offer him special privileges.

: OK... I've a question. Answer me this. I don't normally eat sweets, so what would you recommend?
: Oh. Well, if price isn't a concern for you, then you should go for the sugar candies. The ones they make in town are really delightful.

: Got it. Sugar candies it is. I'll go and fetch some.
: Your Highness! Please come back! I'm so sorry! I'll-I'll make sure these repairs get done!

To Dimitri's credit, he's determined to break the royal mold. Not that it's going to be easy.

Dimitri/Ingrid C

: Oh, there's no need for such humility. Thanks to all of your hard work, you're improving rapidly.
: If you're going to praise me, it should at least be after I've won a match against you.
: You know, Ingrid... I may be the victor when we cross spears on foot like this... But on horseback, your handling of a lance is far superior. Can't I be allowed to have my own area of expertise?
: No, I cannot allow that. It's my duty to get stronger, to fight with all I have in defense of the Kingdom and its people.

Oh trust me, she is going to be plenty strong in her own right.

: I'm pretty sure the only other person I've seen perform that move is Glenn...
: So, you recognized it? Yes, he shared much with me.
: I thought as much. I never imagined I would be on the receiving end of one of his techniques again. Glenn and I once studied under the same instructor. I've sparred with him more times than I can count.
: Ah, yes—he was never short on praise for you! "Lord Dimitri is incredible—such skill! There's no way I'll ever outmatch him!" Things of that sort.
: Well now! He never said any of that to me.
: Well, he was Felix's brother. That family's not big on displays of affection.
: That is true. We spent about as much time arguing as we did training.

Which is really confusing, since as we've seen, Lord Rodrigue is actually a pretty open and downright friendly guy. Dunno where they'd have gotten that confrontational edge from.

: So it has. Time moves quickly. Things have changed so much. Despite the sorrow, I intend to become a powerful knight. A knight like yourself...and like Glenn. I will do so for the sake of my homeland, the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus, and for all who have died protecting it. To that end...I hope you will spar with me again in the future, Your Highness.
: It would be my pleasure. After all, I value our training sessions as much as you do.

Ingrid's desire to honor Glenn's memory will come up often in her supports. The Tragedy of Duscur is a massive influence on more than half of the Lions, and they've all processed it (or not) in different ways.

Dimitri/Marianne C

: Oh. Dimitri.
: Oh... I'm sorry for disturbing your prayer.
: There's no need to apologize. I just finished.
: I see. What were you praying for?

: Forgiveness? For what?
: I put our soldiers in danger during the recent battle.
: What matters is that they came back safely in the end. You shouldn't blame yourself for that.
: It's true, but... You were injured when you came to our aid.
: That? It was just a scratch. A small price to pay for your safety.
: But...

: No, no. That's wrong.
: How so?
: It's just all wrong. You have my thanks for helping in the battle, Dimitri. But I'm afraid I have to ask that you keep your distance from me.
: Is that so?
: Yes.

Marianne and Dimitri keep putting themselves down no matter how much people tell them otherwise. I hope they never have to go through a door at the same time because they'll both keep demanding to go second.

Dedue/Felix C

Oh boy, this is going to suck...

: Are you speaking to me?
: I don't see anyone else here, do you? You're that boar's lapdog.
: Do not mock His Highness.
: Ha, spoken like a good pet. Why do you follow him with such devotion? Do you really think a man like that is worth it?
: Faerghus destroyed my homeland. Burned it all to the ground. Slaughtered my people.
: The punishment of Duscur.
: My father, my mother, my sibling—all were killed. We received no aid. No respite. Faerghus murdered our dignity and torched our pride. His Highness is different. He is the only one who sees my people as human.

Dedue's given off vibes of self-loathing similar to Marianne's for quite a while now, and yeah, that's why. He's basically lost everything in his life, including his feelings of worth, and now all he cares about is protecting the one man who actually pays him any respect. Not that Felix sees it that way.

: That's what we call "blind obedience." Tell me. Would you give your life for him?
: And what if he commanded you to join him in a senseless massacre?
: I would do it.
: Even a massacre of children, or the elderly, or your own comrades?
: Without hesitation.

Not that Dimitri would ever command something like that...Right?

: You have misunderstood me. I am the sword and shield of His Highness. Weapons do not have a will of their own.
: Blind obedience. You're right. I did misunderstand. I shouldn't have called you a lapdog. You're a rabid cur. You and the boar prince make quite a team—two crazed animals.
: I warned you not to mock His Highness.

: I've said my piece. Scamper back to your master.

Good grief. This game sometimes... :ughh:

I think we need a palate cleanser. Pun entirely intended.

Dedue/Ashe C

: Steaming them with herbs is delicious too.
: Wow, you know a lot about this. I'm learning so much from you, Dedue. Were you a cook at the castle in Fhirdiad?
: No.
: Did your family own an eatery of some kind?
: No. My sister and I helped with cooking at home.
: Wow, that's all? I thought I was confident about my skills, but next to you, I feel like an amateur. Hey, could you give me some advice about other kinds of meat, besides fish?

: Yes, Dedue?
: Why do you spend time with me?
: We're friends, right? I just want to get to know you better. Is that so odd?
: I am from Duscur.
: So? Look at me—I came from a life of poverty. I was lucky to even be let in here, to study with all these high-class people. I think we have a lot in common.
: Being poor and being from Duscur are two different things.

In the eyes of the nobility? Not likely.

: Oh, I know! But we can still be friends, can't we?
: You are a peculiar person.
: So I'm told!

When the ordinary is the way it is, being out of the ordinary is a commendable quality.

Dedue/Sylvain C

: Does it?
: I just wanted to stop by and ask... It was your turn to cook last night, yeah?
: Uh, yes.
: Well, it was great. I was wondering if you could give me some tips. You know, teach me how to cook. I hear a girl loves a man who can cook.
: Sylvain.
: Yeah?
: You are from Faerghus. You must understand how it appears for you to spend time with one from Duscur. To be near me is to invite tedious misunderstanding.
: Oh, please. I don't care who misunderstands what about me. I talk to who I want.

: You do?
: Faerghus and Duscur have been friendly since, heck, forever. So why would our old friends from Duscur just up and assassinate our king? It doesn't make sense. Sure, there are probably folks from Duscur who don't like Faerghus. But do I think there's enough of 'em to mount an attack and slaughter the king and his whole company of elite guards?
: It is difficult to believe, considering the discrepancy in skill and number.
: Right? At most, I can see a misguided group of people from Duscur conspiring with someone else who had plans to dethrone the king. Maybe they were even lured into participating and used as scapegoats.

It might seem out of character for Sylvain to be this smart, but as his writeup will show, he's actually holding back a lot of talent.

: Regardless, it doesn't concern you or the rest of your people. A person can't be judged by the worst of their kind... Or where would any of us be? Besides, people like to talk about me anyway. So let them talk.

: OK... You're making a weird face. What did I say?
: I have misjudged you. I was under the impression you only cared about women.
: Heh heh... Well, I'm glad I've cleared up that misunderstanding. But really, there's no way I'm the only person who figured all that out. There must be people who think like me in Fhirdiad, including His Highness.
: Agreed. But whatever the truth, we are still perceived as traitorous assassins.
: Once a misunderstanding takes hold, it isn't easy to clear the air, not without solid evidence of the truth. But even if we found evidence that your people are innocent, those negative sentiments wouldn't disappear overnight. The only thing that can change that is time and effort. Depressing, isn't it?
: Time and effort. Yes, I believe you're right.

: Very well.

He may toy with women's emotions and then dump them without a second thought, but Sylvain is 100% not a racist.

Dedue/Mercedes C

: Oh, Dedue. Was there something you needed?
: His Highness sent me to collect you.
: I see. I'll be with you in just a moment. I'm almost finished here.
: You were praying.
: I was. Praying for everyone's safety. And praying for good desserts tonight. And that my next exam goes well.
: The Fódlan goddess will accept prayers of any sort.
: It's true. I've thought the same thing myself.

Definitely seems like a "Goddess, take the wheel" sort of religion, this one.

: Do the people of Duscur pray to the goddess too?
: Duscur had a very different view of religion.
: Oh?
: In Duscur there were many gods. The sky had a god. The earth had a god. We made offerings to the war god for victory in battle. Held feasts for the sea god to calm the waves.
: So your people prayed to different gods depending on what they needed?
: Correct.

Not altogether unlike the Greeks or Romans in that regard, actually.

: Your beliefs sound so different from ours! Tell me more.
: Why? Duscur is a ruin.
: Duscur may be gone, but you're still here. Would you tell me more about it the next time we meet?
: If you insist.
: Really? That would be great! I'm looking forward to hearing more soon.

A more to-the-point support than others, but it shows an interesting open-mindedness to Mercedes. The worship of the Goddess is important to her, but not so much that she's blinding herself to other religions. I find that quite fascinating.

Dedue/Ingrid C

: No.
: Good.

Right, so you know how I mentioned that Ingrid's mentally stuck back in the Duscur Tragedy?

: I'd have cut my way through. Alone. Without your assistance.
: My apologies.
: Your apologies are empty.
: ...
: I... I spoke out of turn. I'm sorry, Dedue. His Highness has put his faith in you. You're a valuable comrade, no matter my feelings.

: Save your breath. There were countless people like you in the capital. People who spat, threw things—insults and stones alike—whenever they pleased. Their anger was natural. I do not begrudge them.
: I... I see.
: You owe me no apology. And I will keep my distance on all other occasions. But on the field of battle, allow me to aid you. If you were to fall, His Highness would grieve.
: I see. Then I will accept your help. On the battlefield.
: Understood.

Ingrid's trying at least, but it's pretty clear that she's holding herself back from saying things that she would immediately regret.

Cripes, there's so many of these things. Who thought it'd be a great idea for every member of each house to support with one another?

Felix/Ashe C

: Oh. Is that Felix?

Clever reuse of the praying pose there. Just don't turn around.

: Hey, Felix! This is a surprise. I didn't think you had much interest in books.

: No need. I was just curious who it belonged to.
: Why not read a few pages, at least, while you've got it open? I think you'd really like it. The plot is pretty different from a typical knight's tale, but it's still really good. Do you like stories about adventure and chivalry?
: No. I despise them.
: Yeah, well... Have you tried reading any? You might find them really interesting. I know I do!
: What do you find so interesting?
: Well, for one thing, the knights in these stories are always gallant and brave. And they always value things like friendship, loyalty, and justice. That's the kind of knight I want to be.
: Ridiculous. Friendship, loyalty, justice. Only fools allow their lives to be ruled by such nonsense. Fools who get themselves killed for nothing, only to be celebrated as heroes in books like this.

We must reclaim the means of thought production?

: That's a little much. I was only interested in—
: I don't care. Such blind enthusiasm is dangerous. Be more moderate in your passions.

: Excuse me?
: On the surface, he's sarcastic and intimidating. But underneath, he's kind and cares for his friends. In the end, they become heroes together and conquer all obstacles!
: Disgusting. Stop looking at me like that.
: Oh! See? Right there! That's just what I mean! You sound exactly like him!

What's the knight's armor made of? Cactus?

: I'm going to lend you this book. Really, I insist. Just give it a read, all right? Trust me. And you can tell me what you think when you're done.

Honestly, I would have enjoyed seeing Ashe give Felix a verbal smackdown, but he's too sweet for that.

Felix/Sylvain C

I love blink frames. You can make anyone look dopey.

: Chat with them by yourself. You're interrupting my training.
: Hey, come on. Don't talk like that. How long have we known each other?
: Long enough, if you ask me. We only know each other because of our parents' friendship. I didn't have a say in it.
: Is that how it went? Huh. I remember it more like you always following me around. Whenever there was something wrong—like you lost to your brother or you fought with Dimitri— you'd come crying to me. You were so meek and pure back then, cute even... like a baby brother.
: That's enough.
: What?

: Hey! Sorry. I just came to see if you wanted to pick up some girls. I didn't mean to get on your nerves.
: Look. You've been getting on my nerves for years. I've tried to be patient with you, but I'm tired of holding my tongue.

Holding your tongue? Kid, you insult everyone and everything under the sun.

: You're reckless in your personal affairs and in battle. And you're always prattling on about women!
: Well, if a man sees a pretty girl, he can't just let her pass by without commenting. That's just rude.
: You're insatiable. Do you ever stop? Certainly not to practice your sword technique. You always skip training. And you never consider how your actions hurt others...or how you hold them back.

: Look, if that's the impression I've given you, then I'm sorry.
: Hmph.

Honestly, as much as Felix flings venom around, the fact that he actually got through to Sylvain is a feat in itself. Guess there's someone who Sylvain actually cares about pleasing.

Felix/Mercedes C

: Oh. Hm.
: Sorry, but we're all out of cakes. Should I bake some more?
: Please don't.

Can't you see he's busy admiring a piece of carpet lint?

: Oh, your clothes are so dirty! Let me wash them for you.

: There's nothing wrong with me. I'm just making tea. Is there something wrong with that?
: You're not my mother. You don't have to bother with all this. I can do without it.
: I...I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to be rude. You just remind me so much of my little brother...
: I do?

Yeah, I don't get it either.

: Yes. His name is Emile. We have different fathers, but we grew up in the same household. That is, until I was about eight or nine years old. I haven't seen him since then...
: Sorry to state the obvious, but I'm not your brother. I'm not Emile. Can't you find someone else to bother?

: Please, help yourself to more tea if you'd like. I can leave the pot. Good-bye.

: I am me—Felix Hugo Fraldarius. There is no one else.

I realize that Felix's own loss is to blame for the person he's become, but it's like what I said with Miklan. Whatever tragedy you've faced in your life doesn't give you an excuse to pass the hurt on to other people.

Now who's ready for some tonal whiplash?

Sylvain/Mercedes C

: Oh, hello, Sylvain. I was just on my way to pray. How did you guess?
: Well, because I've been watching your lovely—
: Oh, I get it. You're the type who's always looking at girls, aren't you?

YOU THINK?!

But okay, to be fair, this could be the first support that someone sees. It's fine to reiterate for the audience's sake.

: I won't lie. I do enjoy beholding women... But I don't mean it like that with you. I know I sound like a dope. I just— I think you're special.
: Oh, really? You think I'm so clumsy that I need someone to watch over me? Is that why you can't take your eyes off me?
: You're beautiful. And I mean that. You're... Uh, how can I put it without sounding even worse?

Kinda doubt that.

: I don't know where to begin.
: Well, what's something you like?
: I like to pray. I've been praying regularly since I was a child.
: You grew up in the Empire, didn't you?
: That's right. I was raised in House Bartels.
: Bartels? I thought you were born to House Martritz?
: It's a complicated story. I'm not sure that it's a very interesting one, but I'm happy to share it with you.
: I don't mean to be nosy...if it's too personal.
: Oh, no. I don't mind. I wasn't trying to hide anything from you.

: Oh...
: My father passed away while my mother was still pregnant with me, so she had nowhere to go. After I was born, my mother ended up marrying the head of House Bartels. Shortly after, my mother bore a true Bartels child who bore a Crest. She and I were treated as though we were no longer useful to the family after that.
: You think the Bartels were just using her to secure a Crest?
: They must have been. My mother and I were removed from the family and forced to flee to a church in the Kingdom. I abandoned the Bartels name and took up our old family name again.

And what happened to House Bartels after that? Well...

Register of Empire Nobles, Part II posted:

House Bartels
A house of Imperial barons. Highly ambitious, it sought out and acquired several Crests for its bloodline. In 1176, many members, including the head of the house, died under unexplained circumstances. The deed was attributed to the heir, Emile. As his whereabouts are unknown, leadership of the house fell to a distant relative.

So to place the timeline, Mercedes left the Bartels household when she was only nine, which would be 1166 or so, and then in 1176 (that is, just four years ago), her younger brother is blamed for the entire household's deaths and then goes missing. Well, we know where everyone goes when they want to disappear. The clues aren't too hard to follow if you pay attention.

: So you grew up in a church. OK, it makes more sense now why you're praying all the time.
: Yes, I—oh! Praying! I forgot that I was on my way to pray!
: Right...and I interrupted you. Well, see you around, Mercedes.
: Yes, see you!

What happened with Emile and why will be answered elsewhere, but one can hazard a few guesses already.

Sylvain/Annette C

He really seems to like that pose.

: Sorry, Sylvain, but I'm trying to think right now. Could you keep quiet for a bit?
: How can you stay focused reading a book that thick...with such small print? Is some of that text upside down?
: If I use the formula in this line here, the magical energy should... No, that's not right...
: You're even cuter when you're working through a difficult problem.

: Hang on. Look at the third line. You've got the formula wrong.
: I said be... Oh. You're right. How did you know that?
: Well, I mean, it's written right there...
: Most people wouldn't be able to grasp this formula just by glancing at it. Have you read this book before?
: Nope, this is the first time. OK, now that I look at it... Wow. This book makes things way more complicated than they need to be.
: Hmm... And what's your take on this part here?
: It's just describing another application for the same formula. Ha! This is pretty easy!

Well, if Sylvain's good at anything, it's finding the easy way to solve problems.

: You know...you're actually kind of amazing. I've been studying magic for a while now, but even I have trouble with this stuff. You act like all you do is mess around, but are you actually working really hard in secret?
: Nah, hanging out with girls is way more fun. I guess I just picked this stuff up somewhere. Life is short, Annette. If you waste it working hard, it'll be over before you know it. Get out in the world. Have some fun!
: That's easy for you to say. You're strong and smart without even trying. It's not fair.
: Uh...

: No, I was just thinking you're pretty cute when you're sulking. You know that?
: What is wrong with you?
: Hey, uh, I just got lucky with that stuff in the book. I'd normally never be able to outsmart you. Anyway... I'm gonna get out of here and leave you to it.

Yeah, don't want to linger too long or you might realize that someone likes you because of something other than your Crest.

: Well, that does it. It might be tough, but I won't accept second place. Let's go, me! I can do this! I'm going to finish this whole book before sundown!

Annette's one of the weaker mages in the game and her stat block bears that out, but you can't deny her work ethic.

Sylvain/Marianne C

: Oh, Sylvain. Yes, I was just heading back to my quarters.
: Well then, my timing couldn't be better. I was just heading into town, and I thought maybe you'd like to join me?
: Um, I don't think I should.
: I heard a story once about a beautiful maiden who was locked up in a monastery day and night. She was held prisoner by her own fear of the outside world. Then a brave knight set the girl free and took her to town where they drank tea and talked for hours. So, my fair maiden...
: Please, you should not waste your time on me. Besides, my adoptive father requested that I not stray too far from the monastery.
: Margrave Edmund wants to keep you locked up, huh? I've heard he's...let's call it ambitious. Well, just tell him who I am. I think he'd approve. I'm heir to House Gautier, one of the most prominent families in the Kingdom. I've got a Crest, I've got money, and I'm stunningly handsome.

Yup, looks like another crash and burn.

: What's that face for, Marianne? Was it the handsome thing? I can see how that might have been a bit much.
: I...I don't really know you all that well, but I don't think it makes a difference. I mean, it doesn't really matter to me that you have a Crest.
: Oh, no—no—no. I didn't mean you should find my Crest impressive. I meant your family would, and— You know what? Maybe I should start over.
: If you're going into town, please just go without me.
: Oh. OK. I've got to get going anyway. Places to be, ya know. Well, this is me going...
: But remember...should you ever need me, I will forever be your knight, my maiden.

Yet another case where he immediately backs off once he realizes that his thesis statement isn't true. When it comes right down to it, Sylvain doesn't seem very good at dating girls when he can't feel justified treating them like dirt.

Okay, last one. Finally. It probably hasn't escaped your notice that there are even more characters outside of the house that they could be supporting with. This is friggin' exhausting. But at least we get to finish on a positive note.

Annette/Ingrid C

: Sure, I can spare a moment or two.
: I was wondering... Do you have any interest in fashion and makeup and stuff like that?
: I haven't the time to bother with such frivolities. As long as basic hygiene is being met, then I'm happy.
: Oh, but you're missing out on something so fun!

: Um, well, thank you... I suppose I do find it all somewhat intriguing. But my time is precious to me, and my focus is on knighthood. Taking time to paint my face simply isn't a top priority.
: Sure, but imagine if you could combine the two and become the most fabulous knight ever!

Thus begins the running theme of people saying that Ingrid is apparently drop-dead gorgeous. She looks like basically every other anime in the roster so I don't know why she specifically gets singled out, but beauty is relative, as the saying goes.

: OK, maybe I'm taking it too far. I know knights don't necessarily need a ton of make-up or things like that for the job. I'm just saying I really think you'd enjoy it if you opened your mind to it. All I'm talking about is a light touch. I can see it now... Your gorgeous face done up with a delicate application of makeup. The fabulous knight who everyone looks up to and wants to be!
: Um...well, maybe? I guess? That does sound mostly harmless...

: Now, wait just a—
: I actually got that little kit as a gift the other day, and I wasn't sure what to do with it, because I already have that one. It's a limited palette, but I think it fits the look you're going for perfectly.

A bit of foreshadowing for my support-building efforts. People are going to get a LOT of duplicate gifts, which they apparently regift to their fellow housemates. Makes sense.

: I actually never agreed to start putting that stuff on my face, Annette.
: What? Oh... Well, then I guess this whole kit will have to go to waste. I'll just throw it away like the garbage it is.
: You're throwing it away? I can't just stand by and let something go to waste...

: That's the spirit! Oh, and I'm happy to help you learn to apply it too. Come on, let's go to my room. I have some brush techniques to show you before you get started.
: Now don't get carried away...

I mean, you can just turn around and say, "On second thought, I'll just give this to someone else." If you're strong-armed into giving a promise, you don't have to just go ahead and do it. But oh well. Honor, I guess.

And that was every last...no, that's a lie. There are other C supports I just haven't unlocked yet. And honestly, this is a serious problem, because for every single character-building support in this batch, there's another one that either restates something from a different support or has no real purpose for existing other than "These characters need something to talk about." I'm not lying when I say that there are entire support chains in FE Sacred Stones that resolve before these emotionally-troubled teens have even finished what's supposed to be part 1 of 2, 3, sometimes 4 or 5.

Oh yes, we haven't seen this yet, but it's not just A, B, and C. Oh, no no no. Some folks have mid-chapters between their lettered ranks, and that means even MORE words. Friggin' crap on a stick...

I see a lot of romhack projects that try to give every single character as much spotlight time as humanly possible, and I can understand that. They're your babies and you want everyone to appreciate them. But after a certain amount of words, you're going to get people skipping past the content you put so much time into, or at least mashing through it as quickly as the game allows, just to get back to the bit where they can, y'know, play the game. If you want to keep people's attention, it's better to be short and punchy instead of meandering all over the place.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I get that it makes LPing the game real frustrating, but from a player perspective, I appreciate when games have too much content. It means everyone gets a different experience, and whoever their fave is will get a shot at the spotlight.

If every single support conversation was unique and important, and there were as many in the game as there are now, that'd make for a much worse experience, and it would likewise suck if, say, Dedue only had two or three convo partners because he deserves all the screentime he can get.

Blastinus posted:

Honestly, I would have enjoyed seeing Ashe give Felix a verbal smackdown, but he's too sweet for that.

To be fair, I'm pretty the way it shakes out bothers Felix far more than a scolding ever could.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My understanding is that a few of the Lions are supposed to be stock high school characters, from what friends who are really into anime have told me.

Ingrid is apparently supposed to be a tomboy who's uninterested in romance but is the most gorgeous girl in the school when she puts the effort into dressing up.

Sylvain is brilliant at anything he puts his mind to, but he's so lazy and dissolute that he wastes his potential until and unless it's time to put his game face on and shock everyone who hasn't realized what he's like when he applies himself.

Mercedes is basically the replacement mom for much of the crew.

Sylvain's C support with Dedue is what turned me from initially loathing Sylvain when I first played the game to if not liking them, then at least giving his character some respect. He might be the smartest person in the entire class - not as academically brilliant as Annette, but far more socially and politically savvy. And it says a lot about the group's problems, the flaws in Faerghus society, and Sylvain's own personal issues that he'd rather be a rake than be the voice of wisdom and reason that the Blue Lions desperately need.

Likewise, Sylvain has quickly realized a lot of what makes Marianne tick and takes his foot off the gas the moment he understands that Marianne can't deal with his antics.

If there's one character among the Blue Lions I think is underserved by the plot of the class's story, it's Sylvain. He's always around, and if you get his supports up and talk to him regularly you see that he's smart, observant, adept at reading and navigating relationships, is a keen student of history and strategy, and doesn't show his real self often.

Three Hopes at least lets the player meet his father, and Matthias Gautier and the kind of man he is adds a lot of texture to Sylvain and why he is the way he is.

Make no mistake, I think Sylvain's behavior is reprehensible and I'm pretty sure I'd hate him in real life. But I think he's one of the more complex and interesting characters in Three Houses.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
By the way, Fire Emblem Engage, the next game in the series, came out today. For that reason, I'm going to end up being distracted a little bit for the near future, so updates might be even slower than usual. If you're feeling like this game I'm LPing is a bit dour, it might be a very refreshing change of pace to try it out yourself.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Post a picture every time you dress up the dog

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Right, kid's been Flaynnapped. Time to don our detective cap once more.

Before we get started, I just want to share a music link that will persist for the entirety of this month.

Music - Tactics

I think they realized that finding Flayn wouldn't make a lot of sense if accompanied by the usual jaunty themes. I can dig it.

: We cannot let this stand. You must do all you can to find out where's she's gone. Now ask around to see what information you can find. Come now! No time to waste!

Indeed. If only we knew where to start.

Perhaps our house leader has some thoughts.

: When I consider how Seteth must be feeling, my heart breaks. We must find Flayn as soon as possible. There are no signs of her having left the monastery, but we cannot safely rule out any possibility just yet. I'm wasting precious time standing about trying to think of a solution. I'll survey the monastery and see what information I can gather. There must be someone who has a clue as to Flayn's whereabouts.

Ask people questions and follow leads, eh? I suppose mystery thrillers aren't too common in this world, because this seems like really simple advice.

: I've heard the monastery is full of secret passages. If there is no sign of Flayn's departure, it's possible that she used one of those. Whatever has happened, I hope she is all right.

Hmm...I don't think that Flayn just left on her own without telling anyone, but you aren't the only folks with that assumption.

Did Flayn Leave posted:

: Ow! Ingrid just about slapped the teeth out of my head. All I did was suggest that Flayn had eloped...
: Is that a possibility?
: I don't know. I was just suggesting things, then suddenly I was seeing stars and Ingrid was yelling at me.

: I bet Flayn ran away. She couldn't stand being held back by Seteth any longer. I can emphasize. I know what it's like to have an overbearing big brother.

: If Flayn were taken hostage, I expect we would have received demands from the culprit by now. Perhaps this is not a kidnapping at all. Do you suppose she could have simply run away?
: I don't think so.
: What could it be, then? What possible motive could there be to abduct her?

"Why?" is something to figure out after the fact. For the time being, let's just focus on "How?" and "Who?".

Fortunately, it seems like a number of folks have possibilities for us.

: I hear Tomas has been going around asking about her... But he's probably just worried like the rest of us. Though it wasn't just Flayn. He was asking about you and Captain Jeralt too.

The unassuming character who seems to mostly keep to himself tends to be a likely culprit. Definitely a start.

: Ah, you're looking for Flayn's kidnapper. I can't say anything for sure, but I do have suspicions about Jeritza. There's something about how he's handling his blade lately. It seems more...impulsive than usual. It couldn't hurt to try speaking with him, at least. At this hour, I think you'll find him sparring with Catherine at the training grounds.

It's hard to tell what's normal with Jeritza, but if anyone would know, it'd probably be Felix.

: It's a yearly tradition, but with things the way they are right now...it's hard to imagine. At any rate, I hope they find Flayn soon.

Ah yes, they did mention that event a few months ago. I still have no idea why it's just Eagles and Lion. Update the name, you assholes!

: Now that I think about it, I saw Alois hanging out by the pond not too long ago. He was always getting into trouble for trying to talk to Flayn, you know. It's probably a crazy thought, but I'm starting to worry.

The funny guy? That's a leap, for sure, but we need to cover every base. Glad that Raphael's got a few thoughts rattling around in his brain, even if they're still tangentially based on food. Speaking of...

I know what'll get the creative juices flowing, and that's a nice hot meal. Never fails for me.

Surprising amount of meat lovers on this list honestly. Even Bernadetta and Lysithea?

: I appreciate any good meal, but nothing beats enjoying my favorite food.

I appreciate that this big ol' drumstick also has a salad on the side. Definitely a balanced meal, this one.

We're about to make a circuit around, and along the way we run into our first potential kidnapper.

: What?! Me, abduct Flayn?! You can't really believe I did that!
: I hear she was always yelling at you...
: Oh, that's just because of my dumb jokes. She says that they're not very good. But if I went around kidnapping everyone who said that, the whole monastery would be empty!

But you're not denying that the thought has occurred to you...interesting. Regardless, he has a point. I guess we can cross him off the list. For now.

You said it, random student. But first, plants.

Been a bit disappointed in the lack of stat growth items lately. Maybe just throwing in the same seed three times will do the trick.

: There is a masked individual who has been going into town every evening and not returning until the following morning. You see? Nothing gets past this guard! I doubt it has anything to do with Flayn's disappearance, but... Well, better safe than sorry, I always say.

A masked individual, eh? Not too many people we know of with that description. In fact, the list narrows effectively down to...Naw, let's poke around a little more before we say for certain.

: I haven't got much to go off of, and perhaps it's out of line for me to feel so uncomfortable... But something has been bothering me for a while about Gilbert. I feel as though I've met him somewhere before... I also noticed him staring intently at Annette once. Hmm...

We know enough about Gilbert to know it's a red herring, but we might as well use it as an excuse to prod him for more details.

: I just recently learned she has a Crest. Did you know that, Professor? If it was a particularly rare Crest, I could imagine Professor Hanneman would have quite an intense interest in her. Oh, no, I'm not accusing Professor Hanneman of abducting Flayn.

Naw, we know how Hanneman examines people's Crests. He's more of a snatch and run kind of person.

Hey, speak of the devil. Snip someone's hair lately, professor?

: Young Flayn's disappearance is most troubling. What? Who would suspect me? You know what? I'll tell you who. A fool. That's who.
: Is her Crest rare enough to justify kidnapping her?
: Flayn's Crest, the Major Crest of Cethleann, is rare, but there are others who possess it.

Yeah, but are they vulnerable to being kidnapped? Means and Opportunity are pretty important when it comes to committing a crime. I know that Motive is also part of it, but frankly, everyone's just shooting in the dark there.

: If Flayn has been taken hostage, then we know she is alive. At least for now. There would be no point to abducting her if simple murder was the objective. That's only logical, Professor.

: Flayn's gone missing? Where could she be? If it were an ordinary kidnapping, you'd think there'd be a demand for ransom or something by now. I don't like the sound of this...

Yeah, we're whittling down the options, and murder/ransom seems to be off the table.

: Oh, are you here to see someone? Alois and Shamir and all the knights are gonna head into town soon.

Actually, what kind of person is Flayn to other people? Folks have some theories.

On the Matter of Flayn posted:

: I've only ever spoken to Flayn a handful of times. She always seemed so naive about the ways of the world. I'm worried about her.
: You think she'd be easily deceived?
: Yes, I'm afraid so. I just hope she comes home safe.

: Reflecting on it now, Flayn has always seemed a rather odd person. She appears young, yet there's something about her that seems much older than her years suggest. And she's quite wise, but also surprisingly naive...
: Maybe she's lived a very sheltered life.
: Hmm, you might be right. Whatever the case, Seteth seems to care for her more than anything.

If Flayn was lured away because of her trusting nature, that would explain why it is that nobody saw when the event occurred. Doesn't narrow down the suspect pool though because she seems to be friendly to just about everybody.

Oh right, sorry, spaced out there for a second. I'm going to recruit the janitor.

: Cleaning, chopping wood, making feed... Oh, and I'm learning the bow and arrow from Shamir!

: You betcha. I'm your guy, Professor. Since, you know, you can't exactly add me to your class or anything.

Recruiting staff members is treated in-story as basically asking for a Teaching Assistant, which would have been cooler than how it actually pans out. As it turns out, we can add Cyril to our class, and mechanically that's the only thing that occurs.

Yes, you are going to bear witness to people who've been in the knightly business for decades taking lessons from some punk 20-something who thinks jacket capes are cool.

You want to get Cyril as quickly as possible, since the game will automatically level recruited characters up to your level based on their default class, and his appears to be Commoner, which has a growth rate spread that's just the word "FART" repeated for eight lines. Cyril has a particular relationship with growth rates, and I'm going to skip him forward in the queue at the end of this update so I can discuss the pros and cons of this kid.

Anyhow, onwards to further mysteries.

: Flayn was childnapped. That is what you are thinking? And the villain is inside our monastery? Hmm. I must have admittance. One person...has been catching my eye. Shamir is a knight not like other knights. Her movements are being reminders of...no, they remind me of warriors of Brigid. Before she was here, what was she getting up to...

I dunno, what does anyone get up to before coming to Fodlan? This is the flimsiest justification of all, in my opinion.

: I saw her running off somewhere in a terrible hurry. I wonder if it has anything to do with Flayn's disappearance. Do you know, Professor?
: You're on first-name terms with Professor Manuela?
: Oh, yes. Didn't you know? She was the senior diva in our Opera Company.

Dang, is there no one in the senior staff who's safe from suspicion?

: Hm? It seems that you are a bit suspicious of me. Might I ask your reasons?
: Why were you asking about Flayn?
: I was away from the monastery for a few years, but do not forget... I have spent more than four decades in total working here at Garreg Mach Monastery. Yet it was not until recently that I learned that Seteth has a sister.
: And why were you asking about my father?
: It has been two decades since I last knew Jeralt, yet he looks nearly identical to my memory of him. It is only natural to be curious, don't you think? I assure you, there is nothing more to it than that.

Hmm. Tomas in particular would know that something is up with these folks and their long lives. As Lysithea mentioned, it's possible that Flayn is older than she's letting on. Maybe that has something to do with why she in particular was targeted.

We skipped over the marketplace earlier because Shamir was over here. Let's get to the bottom of her being...*checks notes*...not from around here.

: What brings you here? I'm taking a break. Is this about Flayn? You find me suspicious? Hah.
: You're not from Fódlan.
: True. Your point being?
: What did you do before coming to the monastery?
: I was somewhere else. Fighting. Is that a problem? I understand that I don't fit in among the Knights of Seiros... But that hardly links me to Flayn's disappearance.

Seriously. It's not her.

Say, I know that I accused you of being a criminal just on account of being a foreigner, but would you like to join my class?

: You seem busy, Professor. I'm busy as well. Let's speak later.

We need to be Level 15 to recruit Shamir, just like with Catherine. Definitely aiming for it with this playthrough though.

Oh also, accomplishing that quest last month means these two gentlemen have set up shop.

Why yes, that is a LOT of bait, not to mention infinite Smithing Stones. Black-Sand Steel relates to a line of weapons that we haven't seen yet, but it's handy to have a supply of that as well.

And tea, I guess. But most importantly...

Oh yes, our gifting endeavors have just kicked into overdrive. You can't purchase these items more than once a month, but that's a lot of support points for surprisingly cheap prices.

The Southern Merchant sells meat and seeds. It's not a bad idea to load up on flower seeds since you can use flowers as gifts as well once you grow them.

And more gifts. Lots more gifts. Naturally we're going to snap all these up as well.

Hopping over to the training yard, it's time for clues and things that aren't clues.

: Some of the lower-ranked knights are searching for her in the town. If they find anything, I'll know. What? Jeritza? Hm, come to think of it, I haven't seen him today. What would make you suspect him?
: I heard that he goes out every night.
: I see. Well, I'll let the knights know.

Thanks for the tip, Gatekeeper.

: Practice yields-

Yeah, yeah, we've heard it already. What's important is, we can now actually promote ourselves instead of staring blankly at a test paper that says, "The sword goes in where?". I'll take care of that next update.

Anyway, as appreciation for the lesson, we're going to bombard you with feathers and whetstones.

She says that, but I suspect I'm going to see a number of familiar items in the nearest dumpster.

Tournament this month is axes, and you'd think Annette would be a shoe-in, but...

Well, remember, tournaments are purely computer-controlled affairs where all you can do is attack. Annette's magic-powered axe moves are no good here, and the most important trait is endurance rather than pure damage. Although it definitely helps.

Anyway, long story short, we kick their asses.

That prize money is just paltry, and it doesn't get much better.

Right outside the training grounds, we meet a student with a unique proposition.

Yup, we're running a love letter. It'd be pretty easy to know who they're talking about, even if the game didn't give a marker right to the recipient.

This happens with any mission that involves gifting to people. Feels a bit weird when it involves handing over a love letter to a 14-year old kid.

Anyhow, as we make our way back to report a job well done, we pass the threshold for a support conversation. Don't think we've done this yet, but if Byleth's ready to talk to someone, the game will mark a point on campus and initiate a conversation once you pass it.

I'd say it's as good a time as any.

: Sorry?
: Why does Lady Rhea give you special treatment? You're not particularly strong or good-looking. You seem exceedingly unremarkable. Not that I doubt you were a skilled mercenary. Shamir came from the same background. But she doesn't get nearly as much of Lady Rhea's attention. Besides, it'd be one thing if you got brought on as a knight. But a professorship? Unprecedented.
: It is?
: I just don't get it. I'm flummoxed as to why she holds you in such high esteem. And it's not like just anyone can wield the Sword of the Creator. It's a legendary Relic, right? And it was casually handed over to you! It's unbelievable.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but it is a reasonable question to ask.

: Maybe it's because you're related to Jeralt. He was the leader of the Knights of Seiros, and probably the finest mercenary in all Fódlan. By the time I joined, he was gone, so I don't know him too well. But he's strong, right?
: Not as strong as people say.
: Oh, come on! There can't be a soul in Fódlan who hasn't heard tales of the Blade Breaker! Maybe that's it. Jeralt used his influence to help you. But Lady Rhea wouldn't give you favorable treatment because of that. No, definitely not... There must be something more to you.

: Whatever it is, maybe I can copy it, so that she'll take a shine to me as well.

Yeah, I don't know either. But reading between the lines, it seems that there's a bit of jealousy at play. We'll have to watch out for her.

Unfortunately, we're juuuust barely out of reach of Level 12, so we won't recruit Catherine on the spot. One fight will do it though.

This will not be the last time we become an accessory to someone's creepy obsession. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of these quests.

: Dear Goddess, hear my prayer... Please watch over Flayn... Please protect her...

Here's hoping.

Game's throwing us some softballs with these quests. No complaints here.

Note: the surgeon general strongly recommends against the use of medicine intended for horses.

Boy, that joke's going to date this LP.

Anyway, that's done. On to the gifting.

We're going to be handing Marianne enough gifts in order to get her to B rank. Offscreen, of course. Now that we have a bunch of random crap to shovel at folks every month, It's a lot, lot easier to buy friends.

It's kinda strange that in a game where you're having to manage the amount of time you spend on activities, handing out gifts is completely free.

: I heard something like this happened last year too. Neither the culprit nor the missing student were ever found last time. Some people say it was the work of evil spirits.
: Then it could be the same culprit.
: I thought the same. Could there be a connection?

So folks just get abducted off the campus grounds and disappear without a trace, eh? Why do nobles entrust their children to this place exactly?

: I am one of the suspects, am I? Well, hopefully I can lay your suspicions to rest. Do you know of my, let's call it...unique situation?
: Do you mean Annette?
: I was once a knight in service to the Faerghus royal family. If Ingrid believes she saw me before, it was likely in Fhirdiad, the Kingdom Capital. Annette is... She is my... But no, I would appreciate it, Professor, if you would ask no more.

Considering that Annette is actively chasing after you, that's easier said than done. But considering that you're trying to avoid ever coming into contact with your own kid, I guess we can safely rule you out. That just leaves...

: But we haven't found a single lead. Seteth's face is getting paler by the minute. It's hard to watch.

: She was carrying something. A mask of some sort...
: Jeritza's mask?
: I'm not close to the guy, so I can't say for sure. But come to think of it, you could be right.

Bingo. So Manuela figured out the culprit and went to chase after him herself, eh? These folks really haven't read any mystery books.

Anyway, that's our cue to report our findings, but first we should see how Seteth is doing.

Not well. That's the answer.

: I will find her. I swear it.
: That is all I ask. Please, lend me your aid! She would have never left the monastery of her own volition. Why is there not a trace of her to be found?!

Not sure yet, but we're closing in on the answer.

: I have a bad feeling about this... We must find them both at once! Professor Jeritza will be at the training grounds or his quarters. I believe the latter can be found on the eastern side of the knights' hall.

And sure enough, a new glowy spot has appeared. But there's a problem.

YEPPPPP! If we actually continue the story as the game is telling us, we miss out on an entire month's worth of activities. I don't know whether to be mad or just impressed.

Well, I suppose it goes without saying, but I'm not stepping through the time portal. I guess we'll just have to hope that the plot steps in to solve the mystery for us. Again.

Extras

First off, yes, I know that Bernadetta has a special conversation this chapter. I'll be saving that for when I do the Black Eagles route, since she's really out of focus on this route and it wouldn't matter that much.

Cyril - Just Cyril. Groundskeeper and custodian of Garreg Mach Monastery, and squire to Shamir. Has an unwavering loyalty to Archbishop Rhea and a strong work ethic and...that's about it for what we know so far. Hopefully his supports will flesh him out a little.

Starting Weapon: Axes
Personal Skill: Aptitude (Adds 20% to all growths. Values below are a reflection of that)
Crest: None

Skills - Strong (Lances, Axes, Bows, Riding, Flying), Weak (Reason, Faith)

Stats - Max and Growths:
pre:
HP: 24-85 (55%)
Str: 7-55 (40%)  Lck: 6-66 (50%)
Mag: 4-48 (35%)  Def: 5-45 (30%)
Dex: 6-78 (60%)  Res: 2-41 (30%)
Spd: 6-76 (60%)	Cha: 4-48 (35%)
Authority: Battalion Desperation (C)
Combat Arts: Vengeance (Lances C+), Lance Jab (Lances A), Monster Breaker (Axes C+), Armored Strike (Axes A), Point-Blank Volley (Bows C+)
Reason: Wind (D), Cutting Gale (C)
Faith: Heal (D) Nosferatu (D+) Recover (C)

Analysis: Cyril is, on paper, basically every single thing that Ashe does, only better. He doesn't have to unlock his strength in lances, he has a strength in Riding and Flying that Ashe doesn't so he can get started right away with hopping on a wyvern, and his skill is also pretty much useless in a fight, just like Ashe's. So, kick Ashe to the curb and all hail Cyril, right? Well, yes and no. The big point not in Cyril's favor is the starting position that the game auto-levels him up to when he joins your party. See those base stats up there? That's what he looks like at Level 1. Compare him to any other member of the Blue Lions, even Ashe, and those bases are ridiculously low, leaning heavily on his heightened growths to get him to the same level as everyone else.

Except, well, look above. With the exception of Dex and Spd, All Aptitude is doing is putting his growths on a par with everyone else. If he didn't have that, he'd have the defense growth of a mage and the resistance growth of a knight. When you look at Aptitude, you'd think that means that he'd be getting massive levels every time, but he's just incredibly...average. He can't even really take advantage of the magic growth because his spell list is absolutely doo-doo, and Armored Strike scales on defense, which he won't have. Guess you could slap a Bolt Axe on him, but that's the best I've got.

With his weapon and mount proficiencies, he'll be a perfectly usable wyvern rider, and you can't go wrong with those in this game, but if you're going to take up a skill slot to give someone improved growths, those growths should be phenomenal.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Cyril's a bit better than you're giving him credit for. Wyvern Rider will jack up his stats once he promotes and the early point blank volley access means he's able to kill very early. People get distracted by his growths just being decent but that's not really Cyril's main strength.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Mysticblade posted:

Cyril's a bit better than you're giving him credit for. Wyvern Rider will jack up his stats once he promotes and the early point blank volley access means he's able to kill very early. People get distracted by his growths just being decent but that's not really Cyril's main strength.

True enough. Wyverns are very, very strong in this game. He's not a bad unit and he does well in his ideal role. I just feel like if his hat is having boosted growths, then those growths should be a cut above the rest. Otherwise he effectively doesn't have a personal ability at all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I treat Cyril and the other staff/knight characters as replacement duty in the event someone on the lineup isn't panning out well. I very rarely make a conscious choice to use Cyril in his own right, but if an archer or axe character is severely underperforming I'll sometimes pick up Cyril as a replacement (assuming his own growths hold up).

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
So Cyril is the “Villager” character of this game? Kinda sucks he joins at a pretty high level if you don’t recruit him super early cause that makes him harder to get lots of good levels compared to the usual level 1 villager you get like say Donnie in Awakening. I kinda forget he exists most of the time so I’ve never picked him up in a play through.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah Cyril's ability should've been like the growth boost ability in the Tellius games, where it just gives you a second chance to roll any stats that didn't hit a growth.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Or Engage's equivalent, which doubles the class growths of whatever class the character is in.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Cyril's base growths just suck, but that's fine because he takes full advantage of 3H's skill/class system to do his job: replacing underperforming units. Power grinding into good classes fixes his garbage bases, and he can contribute in the meantime as a 3H Archer with easy access to Canto, Death Blow, and PBV. Vengeance would be cool if PBV weren't right there.

Mozu and Donnell became megatanks after grisly war campaigns, but Cyril is just some kid who studies and trains hard to serve his boss. He's quick and accurate but can't withstand return fire or battalions. Works fine if you don't expect more.

Remains to be said that Peg Knight access would make Cyril the most interesting of the Church recruits, if not necessarily stronger than Catherine.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Blastinus posted:

True enough. Wyverns are very, very strong in this game. He's not a bad unit and he does well in his ideal role. I just feel like if his hat is having boosted growths, then those growths should be a cut above the rest. Otherwise he effectively doesn't have a personal ability at all.

Essentially Cyril is a guy who trades a personal for Point Blank Volley and Vengeance.

But obviously, by now you can already get Catherine and yeah that comparative is not great for him.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cyril "noun, verb, and Lady Rhea" sucks and I hate him

Malah
May 18, 2015

Natural 20 posted:

Essentially Cyril is a guy who trades a personal for Point Blank Volley and Vengeance.

But obviously, by now you can already get Catherine and yeah that comparative is not great for him.
Catherine is better out of the box but destined to be infantry while Cyril is on the express to wyvern lord. Catherine mercifully has no competitors on the roster except ... Felix? And somewhat Byleth.

Both of them are still easier to slot in than Manuela, who's serviceable but seems bad without knowing her hidden talents. (Warp, Levin+, Canto, Alert+)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Malah posted:

Catherine mercifully has no competitors on the roster except ... Felix? And somewhat Byleth.

I see someone does not know Ignatz's power.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Cythereal posted:

I see someone does not know Ignatz's power.
Ignatz is on the more flexible infantry side with Byleth. I used to do Ignatz dirty until he spectacularly redeemed himself on my GD Maddening run with his reliability.

NPC Catherine once spared Lonato for me by missing three of her four weapon art strikes. Ignatz would never shame me like that.

MarmaladeSkies
Jun 16, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Cyril "noun, verb, and Lady Rhea" sucks and I hate him

Them’s fighting words. Don’t you pick on my child soldier son.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Malah posted:

Ignatz is on the more flexible infantry side with Byleth. I used to do Ignatz dirty until he spectacularly redeemed himself on my GD Maddening run with his reliability.

NPC Catherine once spared Lonato for me by missing three of her four weapon art strikes. Ignatz would never shame me like that.

Ignatz was a bit of a sleeper for me as well. Gonna enjoy showcasing what that mad lad's all about.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Malah posted:

Catherine is better out of the box but destined to be infantry while Cyril is on the express to wyvern lord. Catherine mercifully has no competitors on the roster except ... Felix? And somewhat Byleth.

Both of them are still easier to slot in than Manuela, who's serviceable but seems bad without knowing her hidden talents. (Warp, Levin+, Canto, Alert+)

It's more that Catherine joins and gives you Thunderbrand and swordmaster growths on top of very good bases and solid character growths. So you pick up Cyril and immediately go "Uh is that it?"

His easy path to Wyvern lord is a bit of a mixed bag in that, he gets there and is fine, but the competition for wyvern lord is so fierce that I always find it very hard to justify him in the air (due to battalion limitations) above a lot of the other characters we'll see later.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Cyril’s selling point is indeed Point Blank Volley and Vengeance. Steel Bow+ on the character who gets by far the earliest access to a Brave combat art means he’ll bag some serious kills, even on Maddening.

The problem in this context is that if you’re not playing on Maddening, then Catherine is right there demolishing poo poo due to starting at level 11 as a Swordmaster. And she has good growths anyways, so she’ll keep that momentum for the entire game on any not-Maddening difficulty.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
True as the points about Catherine might be, maybe let's wait until I actually recruit her before discussing her relative usefulness. It's gonna wait an update because I'm going to be going through our first Paralogue next week, but...yeah, soon.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Confession: I've never used Catherine. I give Lysithea Thunderbrand to hold onto because it's funny.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Yo! Been a little while, because I was busy with some stuff on my end. Seems like you folks weren't exactly climbing the walls waiting, so no harm done.

Before we begin today's festivites, let's get this Marianne support out of the way. We've got an entire sub-chapter ahead of us, so we might's well take care of this right at the start.

: There's something I need to say...
: I'm happy to listen.
: Thank you. How should I put this... I don't seem to be getting along with everyone. I don't contribute much either.

: Of course, my adoptive father may not understand, but if I must...
: Your adoptive father?
: Oh, my adoptive father is one of the new nobles of the Alliance. His territory is to the north. He was a distant relative who took me in after my parents vanished. He's blessed with great drive and ambition. Some may go so far as to call it avarice. He wishes to marry me off to a powerful noble. That's why he sent me to the academy. If I left now, I'm sure he'd have a strong opinion about it.

Join the club. Seems like everyone's got parents running a scheme of some kind.

: Ah, sorry. I strayed away from the topic. I'm not good at telling stories either.
: I understand.
: Ah, good. I'm glad. So, as I was saying... Are you sure I'm not bothering you, Professor?
: You're no bother at all.
: Oh! I'm so grateful to hear you say that.

: I won't agree to that.
: You only say that because you don't know the real me.

"You don't know the real me." Boy, have I heard that chestnut before, and those people are never as bad as they think they are.

Anyhow, on to the calendar.

Meal holidays, like choir holidays, just pick two random folks for you to hang out with. Still, it's free, so why not?

Heck yeah! Mercedes actually needed the motivation.

Thanks to the holiday, this week goes by without a tutoring session. Just hops straight to the end of the week.

Wyvern Rider is going to require C-rank Flying, so Ashe just needs a little more time in the oven. Then he's going to need to pump his Axe rank.

But the usual training update will have to wait, because it's time for a special event!

Not this one, but definitely later. Red exclamation points mean battles that have monsters in them, and monsters have ores, as we know. Unfortunately, we've still only got one battle point, and it's reserved today for the battle with the green exclamation point instead.

Yup, Paralogues have returned, only they're going for more of a worldbuilding angle this time around instead of making them recruitment chapters for your army's time-displaced children. Awakening and Fates were weird.

Whoosh!

Since this chapter's all about Dedue, naturally we get a pre-battle briefing featuring him doing what he does best.

Nothing.

: What's on your mind?

: Since you are here, I have a favor to ask.

But before he can explain, Dimitri comes sashaying in.

: Your Highness. You've returned.
: Sorry to keep you waiting, Dedue. I'm glad you're here as well, Professor. I want you both to hear this. Dedue is already aware, but you should know there's been an uprising in the Duscur region, in the western part of the Kingdom.
: An uprising in Duscur? Why?
: Dedue... Would you like me to explain?
: No. It should be me.

: But the people of Duscur no longer live there. The land was burned to ashes by the army of Faerghus. All of the people were slaughtered. This was our punishment for the crime of regicide.

I would say that's an overblown and illogical response, but uh...y'know, 9/11 and the War on Terror. There's a real-world precedent here.

: The barren expanse that was once Duscur is now controlled by a Kingdom noble. But Duscur survivors, such as myself, still exist outside the region. This uprising is most likely the work of such survivors, seeking to reclaim their homeland.
: A request for aid was sent from Viscount Kleiman to the Kingdom capital and the church. He is the one who rules over that region at present. For now, the lords surrounding the Duscur region have sent their armies to help suppress the uprising. However...
: Is there a problem?
: They have sufficient troops, and strong ones at that. My worry is that there will be more unwarranted death.

About how much death would you say is warranted in this circumstance?

: There have always been many in the Kingdom's army who believe the people of Duscur our foes, and hate them because of it. You would think they'd refrain from squashing the rebels out of political expediency...but I doubt that will be the case. If the Kingdom's army and the rebel forces of Duscur collide, there is no doubt that the rebel forces will be annihilated. I'm afraid...that's the best case scenario. It could also turn into complete and bloody chaos for both sides.
: (sighs) Indeed.

: Permission for what?
: I asked the church to deploy our class to help handle the situation.
: So we may go?
: Not so fast. We still have a responsibility as students of the academy, after all.

I don't know why they do this. The game already asks you to confirm if you want to start this mission when you select it from the battle menu. It's not like I'm going to chicken out halfway.

: You have my most sincere gratitude.
: And mine as well. But we must move fast. I will go and alert the others.

I don't know if I've mentioned it yet, but during loading transitions, you've got a tiny avatar that moves back and forth across the bottom of the screen, based on how you angle your controller. Tilt controls. Woo.

So we should be familiar with the mountain map at this point. We did a practice battle on this map, as you might recall.

That being said, the setup's quite a bit different. Paralogues tend to rehash maps, but they throw in wrinkles that change the way you'd usually approach them. For instance...

Like Dimitri said, the Kingdom's soldiers are more than strong enough to defeat the forces of Duscur. Intentionally so, in fact. We can't even buy Silver weapons yet, and on top of that, they have the Renewal skill, which will heal them for 20% of their health every turn. These guys are not intended to be killed, because, put simply, the Kingdom forces are going to be fighting their way down to the Duscur General, and we need to stop them from doing that. How? By beating up the Duscur rebels ourselves.

Let me repeat: we're fighting this battle on the side of the Kingdom. They're our allies and we're not allowed to attack them, and instead our enemies are the folks trying to reclaim their homeland. But also, we're supposed to not let the Kingdom win either. It'll make sense once we get started.

Character selection's a bit tight for this, but actually our choice is pretty simple. The mountain's hard for mounted units to move around in, same with the trees, so we're going to be cutting Sylvain and Dimitri.

Ingrid, by contrast, will be invaluable for this map because of her ability to...uh...

AWW, FRICK! I KNEW I FORGOT SOMETHING!

Surprise feature demonstration: as long as you're in the Battle Prep menu and you don't actually start fighting, you can exit out of battles all the way back to the planning screen. This does not cost you the week or even the battle, and you can just pop back in once you've done your business. Thank goodness for that, I say. They're accounting for scatterbrained nitwits like myself.

First order of business, we're going to be making Byleth a Thief, mostly distinguished by their ability to open locks without a key. The promo gains are more speed focused instead of strength, and that's a-okay, because Byleth is plenty strong as it stands.

A path of fluffy fur collars. So very fluffy indeed.

Meanwhile, we're making Ingrid a Pegasus Knight. Most games, the class's speediness and resistance to magic would be balanced by eggshell defenses and low-ish strength. Not so much in this game. It's nothing but positive growths, positive stat gains, and hey, just for existing as a Pegasus Knight, the game's throwing in a free +10 Avoid. As if they weren't evasive enough.

Despite this class's weakness to arrows, Ingrid can be considered the real tank of the Blue Lions due to how hard she's going to be to hit. I really love Peg Knights in this game.

: I passed!

Being a Brigand will give Cyril a bit more much-needed strength. He won't be lingering in this class for long, but it beats being a Commoner.

Lastly, we're going to make Mercedes a Priest. She could have also been a Mage, but this class adds +5 to all of her healing magic, which comes in super handy.

Alrighty, let's get back to the show. But first...

One downside to playing a flying class is that the game puts a restriction on your use of Battalions. Gotta be fliers only. Funny as it would be for Ingrid to be commanding a bunch of folks trying to keep pace by running underneath her.

: A remnant from Duscur is trying to retake their homeland and we've been approved to intervene.
: Well, yes, but how did you know?
: I have my sources.

And here we are again. It's like nothing happened.

Alright, Dedue and Dimitri, could you explain what we're doing here?

: We cannot stand by and allow another massacre. But we cannot obstruct the Faerghus army, either. Our best hope is to force the troops of Duscur to withdraw before the Kingdom soldiers get to them.
: The main body of the Kingdom's army is bound to arrive soon. Until then, let's aim to quell this uprising ourselves. Once the main force arrives, we'll be out of options. We must move fast.

Saving people's lives by clobbering them. That makes a lot of sense.

Music - Tempest of Seasons (Rain/Thunder)

Ah yes, almost forgot to mention. Paralogues use a separate battle theme from normal encounters. Well, it's not THAT separate. It's the same one used in tournaments. But y'know, more or less exclusive to these sub-chapters.

: I don't have the right to give orders to Kingdom soldiers, but... Let's try conveying that there's no point to harming soldiers who have withdrawn.
: Thank you, Your Highness. We will do our utmost.

This conversation is specifically if you don't field Dimitri. It's a bit different if he's on the field.

: It seems the church and the Kingdom troops are not working together. My head hurts just thinking about it, but we may be able to use that. First, let's push Duscur to retreat. The Kingdom might then also withdraw without a fight.
: Let us be quick about it.

Basically, while the Kingdom soldiers will be fighting to kill, we're fighting only to disarm. If the Duscur troops withdraw, then the Kingdom will leave as well.

Not that it makes a difference in terms of how much damage we do, but yeah, set swords to stun.

: Let the lesson begin!

I'd say that's as good a retort as any.

Speed is good. More of that, please.

Wow, we owned him so hard that he grew a beard.

Two crits in a row. Nonlethal crits, naturally.

: Safely away.

I understand the reasoning behind not giving Duscur soldiers their own unique dialogue portraits since we won't be seeing them too often in the story. Still seems weird though.

So as you may have noticed on the map, the left side of the map is cut off from the right, except if you go across the top or bottom. Can't just send fliers over either, since they've got archer coverage.

We'll consider that one bit at a time. For the moment, we're in range of this archer. Might's well deal with that problem right now.

And hey, I'm feeling adventurous. Why not just use her remaining movement to park Ingrid within range of four dudes? It's Normal, so we can be reckless assholes.

Meanwhile, Cyril's ready for his first fight of the campaign. It goes...

Y'know, he won't get killed by these folks. That's what's important to start with.

Enemy phase, and we can see our main problem.

Yeah, expect to see that a lot. Duscur is not intended to win this fight, and the Kingdom are our allies, so there's nothing we can do to smack the Kingdom down. No matter how much we will really, really want to.

On the right side, Ingrid dodges way more than she ought to have. It's the kind of decision you can only make when you're under zero pressure.

Besides, she can use the experience.

If nothing else, Ashe's dexterity is going to make his Deadeye shots easier to land.

Ally phase, and they're going to hit the ground running.

Yuuuuuuppppp. These guys are very...opinionated. And it does not stop.

: They are moving out. Time is of the essence, now.

I'm not sure it's possible to save these guys, unfortunately. They're rushing straight to their doom.

: I'll have your life for atonement, king slayer!

: Filthy Duscur demons...

Little surprise they made the Kingdom untargetable, because otherwise I would be making it my life's goal to crush the lot of them, Silver Swords or no.

At least by "disarming" them from long distance, we can somehow save them from the Kingdom forces that are right there.

We don't have a lot of time to save these folks, but we can make an effort at least.

Plus they have bonus prizes!

Down south, all that fighting's left Ingrid slightly banged up. And with only one use left on her weapon. Close one.

S'alright. Being mounted and flying means that she can Canto to safety. The bushes will slow them so they can't pursue.

To their credit, the Duscur mages can actually do a fair amount of damage to the racists. Too bad that their regeneration undoes that, but it's a decent effort.

I'm going to be mostly having Felix focus on his axes for this fight on account of the fact that he needs to be at C rank if he wants to be a Hero.

Not too far to go, really.

Yeah, this isn't going to end well.

: Not content with slaying His Majesty, you thought to revolt?! Pathetic!

You folks can't hide behind Ally flags forever, you know.

One guy managed to survive, so we're going to just bag him real quick.

Our statue bonuses to experience are really paying off, by the way. We were only halfway to a level when we did this fight.

Yup, when there's no more Duscur to kick around, the Faerghus folks just fulton out of the battlefield. Good riddance, I say.

It occurs to me that I should probably buy some hand axes. I need more ranged options than just letting my archers do all the work.

Granted, they're pretty darn good at their jobs.

So I haven't shown this off yet, but if we want to avoid the negative consequences of effective weaponry, we can actually hop off our mounts.

After all, it worked so well the first time, why not have Ingrid just tank a whole horde?

Ah, that's why.

Sure, those were coin flip chances, but you'd think at least one of them would have been a miss.

Let's do the time warp again...

At least she won't know that I sent her to her not-death, so everyone will think I'm brilliant.

Xenoblade Chronicles 1 explored the concept of someone being able to change the future and the kind of edge that would give you in combat. We're kinda like that.

In this case, I end up parking Ingrid over on an area where the enemy can only come at her one at a time, and most importantly, where she's out of reach of the archer.

And because of that slight change, the coin lands on the other side. Of course it does.

Keep funneling in that experience, guys. She's going to be absolutely bonkers.

Two more Duscur troops go down in the Ally phase. It's alright. We're still on track for the reward at the end.

Most of our on-foot characters have no choice but to swing around the bottom. It's going to take a while, but we'll get there before Faerghus, so it's all good.

Trying to move Ingrid up to draw their attention, but as you can tell by the targeting arrows, those folks in the top-left are determined to keep charging to their deaths.

At least I can pick off this guy here. That's something.

The Talisman Shield is a valuable find. 4 Weight, but +1 Def and +3 Res, so I'm going to slap that on Dedue at the next opportunity. His -3 Weight skill will easily counter the downsides of that.

To my surprise, the stairs impede the Faerghus troops enough so that they can only take out two of the three remaining Duscur troops. Lucky for that last guy.

It's a long shot, but I think it's manageable.

Yup. Right on target.

And this'll be all the resistance on the west side.

All that's left is the force to the south and the commander himself. Let's just skip to the bit where we actually get there. Nothing to be done for these hit rates. As you recall, magic is unaffected by terrain bonuses. Just have to take our miniscule lumps.

Meanwhile, we're putting Ingrid in range to draw some more fire. Her aerial mobility makes her invaluable for maps like these.

What do I have to do to make Dedue actually get some speed?

They died on the way back to their home planet. That means that we're home free to just finish the chapter at our relative leisure.

The knights protecting their boss obligingly charge forward. Thank you kindly for that.

Let's get to work.

Armors are tough nuts to crack when your army's not very magic-focused. Fortunately, there's only a couple of them and we outnumber them.

Teamwork. Heck yeah.

Last one, and he's got quite a lot of might behind him, so we want to deal with him in a way where he can't fight back.

: How can you make friends with our hated foes? Is it possible that you've lost your Duscur spirit?
: Are you finished?

Dedue isn't the only one who has a battle quote with the Duscur General. This battle is listed as Dedue's Paralogue, but it's also a soft Paralogue for Dimitri as well.

: Now, this is a windfall... Who knew we'd meet our sworn enemy here!
: Sworn enemy? Well, I cannot disagree.
: We will slay you and topple Faerghus! That way, for the first time in ages...Duscur can be reborn!
: Hmph.

Probably shouldn't have brought a melee weapon to this fight, honestly. He doesn't even get a hit off on us.

Especially since Gambit hit rates don't factor in terrain. Hiding in the woods doesn't do a thing for him.

I am not regretting my decision to put Ingrid on a flying horse. She's rocking it.

: I will check the status of the Kingdom troops. Dedue, I leave the Duscur army to you.
: Yes, Your Highness. Please be careful.

Ka-ching! That sells for 10,000 Gold, which is huge for this part of the game.

Show of hands, who's shocked about that?

Paralogues also provide a unique Battalion based on the featured character. These guys, at max level, will provide +8 physical damage, +5 Hit, +7 Charm, and +10 Def in return for -2 Mag and -15 Avoid. It is a physical tank's dream.

: I will not abide the needless death of my own people.
: You must know that as long as there is breath in me, I will fight.
: Then fight, and be defeated. But so long as you pose no threat to His Highness, I will not end your life.
: Idealistic fool. We will not relent. Not until we've taken back the homeland you monsters stole from us!
: I share the same sentiment.
: You? Who sold his soul for Faerghus?
: His Highness has promised the people of Duscur a home. His will be a kingdom that is proud to harbor the blood of both Faerghus and Duscur.
: That's impossible. Don't be naive.
: Believe what you will. But Faerghus will change under his reign. That is my firm belief.

: Prince of Faerghus! You monster!
: Can you still run? Then I suggest you do so now. Your people are waiting for you on the other side. Remain hidden from the Kingdom army.
: May our paths cross again.
: I certainly hope not. But remember this one thing. The people of Duscur never forget their grudges. Nor do they fail to honor favors.

: Think nothing of it. This was something I wished for, as well. If you must give thanks, direct it at the church for allowing us to join the battle, and to our professor for leading the charge.

: I am right behind you.

And so am I. I've been letting this LP gather dust for a while.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I uh

I hate this paralogue.

I hate repressing a rebellion of people who want to take their homes back.

I hate the justification being that "Dimitri will definitely do something good about it in the future."

I hate Dedue essentially being used as a figure to whitewash any accusations of racism because "He's okay with it so it's fine."

The institutions of Faerghus are what cause the tragedy of Duscur, even if Dimitri is a good king and makes room for them, he's still running a Kingdom that has forcibly stolen land from people and then instituted a genocide for good measure.

Yeah it's just a real downer and ultimately I think is one of the most poorly handled parts of Three Houses.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think this chapter does exactly what it's supposed to do.

Incidentally, I have opinions on Dimitri and Fearghus.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Whoops, deleted.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 26, 2023

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Natural 20 posted:

I uh

I hate this paralogue.

I hate repressing a rebellion of people who want to take their homes back.

I hate the justification being that "Dimitri will definitely do something good about it in the future."

I hate Dedue essentially being used as a figure to whitewash any accusations of racism because "He's okay with it so it's fine."

The institutions of Faerghus are what cause the tragedy of Duscur, even if Dimitri is a good king and makes room for them, he's still running a Kingdom that has forcibly stolen land from people and then instituted a genocide for good measure.

Yeah it's just a real downer and ultimately I think is one of the most poorly handled parts of Three Houses.

I think in this particular instance, what we're meant to take from it is that Dimitri wants to help Duscur, but from a political standpoint, he doesn't have any power yet and trying to actively fight against Faerghus's current power structure would end up dropping wrath down upon the lot of us. We're meant to see the venom-spewing folks from Faerghus as emblematic of the problems with the Kingdom that Dimitri needs to fix, not the people we're actually going to support in the end. That's why Dedue wants Duscur to bide their time, because these absolute bastards won't be tolerated once the new regime is in power. So goes the theory, anyway.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blastinus posted:

I think in this particular instance, what we're meant to take from it is that Dimitri wants to help Duscur, but from a political standpoint, he doesn't have any power yet and trying to actively fight against Faerghus's current power structure would end up dropping wrath down upon the lot of us. We're meant to see the venom-spewing folks from Faerghus as emblematic of the problems with the Kingdom that Dimitri needs to fix, not the people we're actually going to support in the end. That's why Dedue wants Duscur to bide their time, because these absolute bastards won't be tolerated once the new regime is in power. So goes the theory, anyway.

To add to this, we've already seen in a bunch of Dedue's supports that the Tragedy of Duscur is in-setting a deeply divisive subject within Faerghus. Some groups within Faerghus participated in the genocide. Some did not. Some support trying to make amends with Duscur. Some want to complete the genocide.

Faerghus is not a monolith and none of its institutions or leadership are of one mind. Dimitri is poised to inherit a powder keg of factionalism, divided loyalties, and violently divided agendas, and he's trying to find solutions that won't lead to the entire northern third of Fodlan burning down in civil war.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Is there any handling of racism in anime that doesn't get criticized as mishandling it by not going far enough? Is this at least better or worse than the laguz in the Tellius games?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Delphisage posted:

Is there any handling of racism in anime that doesn't get criticized as mishandling it by not going far enough? Is this at least better or worse than the laguz in the Tellius games?

I'd say it's a case of different strokes. Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn depict prejudice as something based either in ignorance or malice. Once the sympathetic characters become more aware of the lies they'd been told about the Laguz, they turn around and become unquestioningly good, while the folks who persist in their hatred of the Laguz are shown to be almost entirely without redeeming qualities. Racism is bad. Therefore if you're racist, you are bad. It's as simple as that.

This game tries to add a bit more nuance to the issue, which can be really iffy. For instance, in the case of Ingrid and Dedue, their support is showing how it's possible to have inner prejudices that can override what your rational mind is telling you, but in so doing, they're having Ingrid act hostile and angry in a way that's easy to interpret as her just outright hating Dedue for no good reason. It's a dangerous game to try to be ambiguous since, if done poorly, you run the risk of stepping over the line into, "Well, maybe people have reasons to be racist," at which point things become...yeah, a bit awkward.

PoR and RD's storyline tends to depict racism in more absolute blunt terms with far less gray area, and you know what, yeah, I like it that way. It creates a very clear divide between good and evil and makes sure that no one will ever think that IntSys is condoning it. Some things are just plain wicked regardless of your justification, so I think it's the right choice to cut out all the subtlety and get straight to the heart of the matter, whether or not it comes across as cartoonish.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
the lack of duscur-specific generic portraits really uhh

throws a wrench into whatever intsys is trying to say here, honestly

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think one big complication is that the surface reading is that Dedue's willingness to take everyone's abuse in stride is noble, because that is what a lot of the characters think, when it is obviously a tragic character trait.

To which I don't think the writers were entirely blind; that's clearly what's going on in that one Felix support. Felix says some horrible poo poo because he's a big emotional klutz, but I'm reading that he hates the way people treat Dedue, including how Dedue treats himself, and just wants the guy to stand up for himself.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

quote:

I don't know if I've mentioned it yet, but during loading transitions, you've got a tiny avatar that moves back and forth across the bottom of the screen, based on how you angle your controller. Tilt controls. Woo.

You left out the most important gameplay mechanic in the game. You can also Jump on the loading screen.

I would normally say no force on earth could make dedue gain speed, but your Ingrid just gained strength in 3/4 levels so maybe there's a chance in this bizarro worl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Blastinus posted:

I'd say it's a case of different strokes. Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn depict prejudice as something based either in ignorance or malice. Once the sympathetic characters become more aware of the lies they'd been told about the Laguz, they turn around and become unquestioningly good, while the folks who persist in their hatred of the Laguz are shown to be almost entirely without redeeming qualities. Racism is bad. Therefore if you're racist, you are bad. It's as simple as that.

And then there's Shinon who is... Shinon.

I'd say Soren doesn't so much 'turn around and become unquestioningly good', but just gets less prickly about it, in no small part because of Ike.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

To which I don't think the writers were entirely blind; that's clearly what's going on in that one Felix support. Felix says some horrible poo poo because he's a big emotional klutz, but I'm reading that he hates the way people treat Dedue, including how Dedue treats himself, and just wants the guy to stand up for himself.

Felix also has a lot of feelings re: Dimitri and Dedue being a blind follower also results in a complicated relationship because of it.