Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
so obviously aliens in movies and mass media are humanlike to some degree because it helps the audience engage with them and relate, and it makes the costume budget a little more sane if we're talking movies. but after discovering YouTubers Isaac Arthur & John Michael Godier and watching Arrival im really fascinated with the idea of intelligent aliens that bare no resemblance to humanity and break all the expectations we come to expect of earthlike species.

it makes the whole first contact scenario a lot more interesting when you think about how we, as an anxious warlike species come into contact with an alien species we cant even figure out how to begin communicating with.

what do you all think? also since this is gbs, if we can't come up with a good discussion, we can at least talk about how quickly humans would try to have sex with aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OpoWJbo7oM

buglord fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

they would probably look like crabs

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
To be honest it's really hard to say. There's so many variables. For example: A lot would depend upon what they looked like and how the meeting goes.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I bet we’re really small compared to them. Average intelligent species are probably elephant sized or larger. I mean, I bet.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

have you read solaris?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Kinda like your mom, OP.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
What do you think alien boobs look like? :allears:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Chances are they're out there, but chances are also we'll never contact them, so maybe it doesn't really matter.

I generally agree with you though, OP. Depicting aliens as humans with different colored skin or weirdly shaped foreheads has always struck me as being incredibly small minded. Most life in the universe is probably completely different from what we define life to be here on earth.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Mostly the same as us but with weird ears or penises

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

Mostly the same as us but with weird ears or penises

What if aliens had penises where their boobs should be and boobs where theie penises should be :allears:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
They'd probably look like they immediately regretted coming to our shithole of a planet, OP.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Nooner posted:

What if aliens had penises where their boobs should be and boobs where theie penises should be :allears:

I'd say that would make breastfeeding extremely concerning, no matter how you look at it

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I bet they're pretty much the same except something something penises

Silly Ray Cyrus
Dec 14, 2007

Forget it
Octopus people would be pretty cool.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

We already know:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Maybe we're the aliens. If you think about it makes a lot of sense because there's way more planets that aren't earth than are.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I can assure you that regardless of how the aliens look somebody on earth would like to have sex with them. Yes, even if they are mineral based rock things.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Well OP that is a very interesting question, and I think if you look at the natural history of Earth and the different courses evolution could have taken in various branches of the tree of life to produce intelligent life based on the varied conditions that are to be found just on this one particular planet, I gotta say if the aliens don't have space tits why are we even searching for them?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they would look like anime

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

We already know:

This is like, the son my parents deserved or some poo poo. :jerkbag:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Mooey Cow posted:

Well OP that is a very interesting question, and I think if you look at the natural history of Earth and the different courses evolution could have taken in various branches of the tree of life to produce intelligent life based on the varied conditions that are to be found just on this one particular planet, I gotta say if the aliens don't have space tits why are we even searching for them?

Space rear end.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If their home planet has low enough gravity their balls are probably on top

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

We already know:

They built him because they're mocking us. It's how they see us. Like how Superman's disguise to blend in with other humans is dorky ol' Clark Kent.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Well, seriouspost, I think we're not very likely to ever be able to send canned primates across interstellar distances, but we might create machine-based intelligences that can get there. With possibly some cultural and civilizational continuity to us, they might be considered our successors or even children. Something similar would probably apply to alien civilizations. Organisms that evolved on a temperate planet with an atmosphere and stuff just aren't very well suited for an interstellar existence.

So, our robots might meet their robots, down the line, and they'd all look like whatever.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It turns out stars are actually conscious and communicate with each other using fluctuations in their solar wind and magnetic fields on timescales and over distances we can't possibly comprehend, so every time you stared into the sky at night you were actually looking at the aliens all along.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

In the future, all is devastation.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

If their home planet has low enough gravity their balls are probably on top

If you do sex right the balls are always on top.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I think the aliens would be a pretty cool guy. They would kill goons and doesn’t afraid of anything

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Groke posted:

Well, seriouspost, I think we're not very likely to ever be able to send canned primates across interstellar distances, but we might create machine-based intelligences that can get there. With possibly some cultural and civilizational continuity to us, they might be considered our successors or even children. Something similar would probably apply to alien civilizations. Organisms that evolved on a temperate planet with an atmosphere and stuff just aren't very well suited for an interstellar existence.

So, our robots might meet their robots, down the line, and they'd all look like whatever.

This person Three Body Problems :hmmyes:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

what if a planet gradually lost it's atmosphere and the life on it evolved to not need one over time, maybe creating it's own little self-sufficient mini-atmosphere, and then when the atmosphere was all gone some of them just flew up into space and started wandering around

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

they'll prob be very stylish

they'll have space-shoes and space-jackets and stuff we can't even imagine. maybe some mind blowing space-hats

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
So unimaginable we would not consider them aliens.

Look at whales, intelligent, we can’t communicate with them and we can’t live in their environment without huge effort. But people don’t consider them aliens because they are already here.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

They would have no concept of lying and we would easily defeat them by telling them we are rubber they are glue whatever they do bounces off us and sticks to you.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Extra row of tits posted:

So unimaginable we would not consider them aliens.

Look at whales, intelligent, we can’t communicate with them and we can’t live in their environment without huge effort. But people don’t consider them aliens because they are already here.

Because they're here. Making them not aliens, in the space alien term. Their origin is ultimately the same as ours. And though some whales are smart, at the end of the day they are still "just" smart animals, like crows, elephants and non-human apes. When it comes to the capacity for learning, expression, social complexity and the ability to alter their environment there is no animal on Earth that comes close to humanity.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

would blaze w/ this alien

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Randarkman posted:

Because they're here. Making them not aliens, in the space alien term. Their origin is ultimately the same as ours. And though some whales are smart, at the end of the day they are still "just" smart animals, like crows, elephants and non-human apes. When it comes to the capacity for learning, expression, social complexity and the ability to alter their environment there is no animal on Earth that comes close to humanity.

Exactly.

Because they are on the same world and not like us people can’t consider them. Aliens don’t only come from LV426.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Ultimately the most unimaginable alien is one that is just another human, same DNA, same everything. That's the one thing everyone agrees an alien can't be. Nothing would blow more minds than that.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ProfessorMarvel posted:

This person Three Body Problems :hmmyes:

I just finished the first book and I liked how the first third is political criticism, the second third is video games, and then BOOM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

So the planet they come from is essentially a habitable, low gravity gas-giant.
The inhabitants? 12 ton elphantine like creatures with 5 legs, 3 of which are on the sides.

This is the most common.