Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Leroy Dennui posted:

In the future, all is devastation.

i imagine they would look like this, but with huge titties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

No, but whomever said they look like crabs? That, or spiders.
Same deal, I guess. Give or take a few legs and eyes and how the guts go.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mooey Cow posted:

Ultimately the most unimaginable alien is one that is just another human, same DNA, same everything. That's the one thing everyone agrees an alien can't be. Nothing would blow more minds than that.

Stargate?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ProfessorMarvel posted:

They built him because they're mocking us. It's how they see us. Like how Superman's disguise to blend in with other humans is dorky ol' Clark Kent.

He’s just a rendering of a man with all the possible ethnic features removed as to not piss off any nazis or klansmen on Facebook.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Crabs with big fighting hands and little fiddly hands. They would make noises like a box of chopsticks being dropped down the stairs and not sleep.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Please don't doxx me.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

CaptainSarcastic posted:

We already know:

man, his eye sockets really are the perfect size and shape for my thumbs to rest, covered in viscera

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The haircut does him no favours, and yet he must employ a professional stylist.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

he's not an alien he's a reptilian, from deep within the earth

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

goatface posted:

The haircut does him no favours, and yet he must employ a professional stylist.

He does it on purpose to look like a Roman emperor because he’s a billionaire weirdo.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Since most "aliens" we have encountered are either nephilim or humans traveling back in time, I think we can expect them to continue to look like humans.

If there are any true aliens, my guess is that they'd also be made in God's image or at least follow a teleological evolution that would bring forth God's image, so they would look very (maybe even identically) human.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

You should read Blindsight, op

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They could be alien fungus that farms humans for our rich and varied faeces.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Buce posted:

:hmmyes:

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

goatface posted:

They could be alien fungus that farms humans for our rich and varied faeces.

This is the real reason why the Burj Khalifa doesn't have a proper sewage system and all the poo poo is carried out on trucks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5_8Q4X05ME

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Earth is at the small end of what works to make an earthlike planet. Most life on earthlike planets out there is probably on bigger planets with more gravity. So they'll mostly be supermen or elcor

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

poverty goat posted:

Earth is at the small end of what works to make an earthlike planet. Most life on earthlike planets out there is probably on bigger planets with more gravity. So they'll mostly be supermen or elcor

I bet most intelligent life is from earth like moons of hot jupiters.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
We're presuming intelligent, space-faring aliens, I take it?

Allow me to submit that because of forces of convergent evolution, aliens won't look too crazy or unimaginable, like some kind of floating N-dimensional space jellyfish octopoid horror out of Lovecraft, or anything. They'll be creatures subject to the same kinds of physical forces that we are, because physics is the same all over the universe. So they'll be recognizably "animals" of some kind - life-forms that can move around, sense, and interact with their environment.

They'll have manipulators of some kind, because those are necessary for developing some kind of advanced technology. They'll have sensory organs that can detect some of the common forms of visible light, sound, tactile senses, chemicals, and so on.

They'll be capable of social interactions, as if we're presuming that they're technological, you need a certain sort of agreeableness and eusociality, the ability to share information and pass it down culturally, and the ability to coordinate and put together the intelligences of multiple individuals over a long period of time. So they'll have language of some kind, and the ability to record that language in a medium that can outlast the lifetime and physical reach of a single individual.

That still gives a pretty wide berth for evolution. It's very unlikely they'll follow a humanoid body plan, but that aside, we could expect to see a lot of features that we'd recognize as "humanlike" - social behavior, language, tool use involving manipulator organs, visible centralized organs for sensing, ingestion, excretion, and so on, etc.

I'd look at the Birrin as a really well-developed speculative example. There's a whole subgenre of Youtube lore videos on Speculative Biology if you're interested.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I too have seen Paul with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I bet they have weird organs like internal storage for pee

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Seriouspost, though: the best alien movies leave the invaders ambiguous and up to our imagination. When you don’t know exactly what the alien looks like, but it’s presented itself onscreen already as “human,” it adds a fear and dread in our psyche that we can’t comprehend properly.

The Thing (1982) and Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) are two that come to mind.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What if they look like bigger geese with arms under their wings and a complete lack of trousers? Could we handle living with Donald duck?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Instead of being clumsily put together from sinful meat and body humors, the aliens are made of pure silicone or incorporeal plasma, functioning at a vastly different scale and timeline. Our main interaction will likely involve trying to mine them as they respond 2000 years later by flaring the sun.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Colonel Cancer posted:

the aliens are made of pure silicone

Big space titties confirmed

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

dsf posted:

i imagine they would look like this, but with huge titties

In the future, all is titilation.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
There's basically two possible scenarios for aliens

1 - Star Trek. Whatever circumstances that came together to create life on earth (specific planetoid size for specific gravity functions w/r/t to water and carbon-based cellular membranes, close moon to intercept meteor strikes, large liquid water oceans to regulate temperature) would happen somewhere else, and create something somewhat similar although maybe not. Upon meeting them Humans would try to gently caress them.

2 - Unknowable science fiction monstrosity. Whatever circumstances that came together to create life on earth are not the only way for an intelligence to assemble an organized form. Something like self aware gravity waves or sentient fungus. Upon meeting them Humans would find some way to anthropomorphize them, and then try to gently caress the cartoon representation.

:shrug:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Fungus is sentient! The mushroom is a galactic intelligence. It wants us to trip balls to get smarter and build space ships but also not be Musks or Bezoses.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

They're not different than what you expect, I suggest you learn Spanish for when you finally meet them. Really nice people, great food too.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Don't trust no a liens, they just want your money

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Yaldabaoth posted:

This is the real reason why the Burj Khalifa doesn't have a proper sewage system and all the poo poo is carried out on trucks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5_8Q4X05ME

I forgot this was a thing lmao

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

kntfkr posted:

Fungus is sentient! The mushroom is a galactic intelligence. It wants us to trip balls to get smarter and build space ships but also not be Musks or Bezoses.

Do we go to the same church?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I was trying to find this exact image earlier itt lol

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

anyway biology is loving wild, imagine an aquatic world with sentient jellyfish like creatures with many functional appendages

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I bet most intelligent life is from earth like moons of hot jupiters.

It's worth noting that I'm pretty sure (it's been some years) theories of star system and planetary formation still don't really think that those "hot jupiters" necessarily have to represent a much more common arrangement than our solar system, much less the most common arrangement out there. Earthlike planets, much less planets with atmospheres in general, might also have a tenuous lease on life that close up to a star and orbiting a gas giant.

Same goes for the massive "super earths", many of which are found orbiting pulsars (the regularity and direction of their pulse makes it much easier to detect less massive objects interfering than for other stars), are several times as massive as the Earth andmight very well often be the remnant metallic cores of gas giants whose atmospheres were blasted away when their star went supernova and became a pulsar.

Methods and intstruments have improved, but exoplanetary surveys are still best at picking up those types of planets because they are by far the easiest to detect via their gravitational influence on their parent star and such. We don't really have a truly representative sample yet for planetary system formation, arrangement and composition. Though what can be said with great confidence is that planetary systems in general are far more common than was generally agreed about 3 decades ago. Combined with research having shown that life may have started on Earth much quicker than people thought earlier as well, pretty much as soon as it was feasible according to some IIRC, it's actually looking quite likely that life might be a pretty common phenomenon. Intelligent life and civilizations with advanced technology and radio communications is another matter entirely of course.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 13, 2022

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Buce posted:

There’s several books with this title, I’m assuming it’s the one by Watts. I’ll put it on hold at my library.

Has anyone else seen Arrival? If you’re into linguistic anthropology it would probably be down your alley. It was a pretty refreshing take on first contact that doesnt fall into the war of annihilation trope. In fact there’s only one explosion in the entire movie.

Apparently District 9 also deviates from the normal formula too but I haven’t seen it.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

buglord posted:

There’s several books with this title, I’m assuming it’s the one by Watts. I’ll put it on hold at my library.

Has anyone else seen Arrival? If you’re into linguistic anthropology it would probably be down your alley. It was a pretty refreshing take on first contact that doesnt fall into the war of annihilation trope. In fact there’s only one explosion in the entire movie.

Apparently District 9 also deviates from the normal formula too but I haven’t seen it.

I liked district 9, haven't seen arrival but I've been meaning to watch it for years, thinking I'm going to so do soon

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Revins posted:

I liked district 9, haven't seen arrival but I've been meaning to watch it for years, thinking I'm going to so do soon

It’s good! A few people I knew appreciated the trigger warning of (minor spoiler) a child dying. But all in all great movie. watched it back, once on my own and the next day with my dad because I thought he’d enjoy it - which he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

gonna watch Annihilation