Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the aliens look like Jodie Foster's dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I really enjoyed annihilation

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

buglord posted:

There’s several books with this title, I’m assuming it’s the one by Watts. I’ll put it on hold at my library.

Has anyone else seen Arrival? If you’re into linguistic anthropology it would probably be down your alley. It was a pretty refreshing take on first contact that doesnt fall into the war of annihilation trope. In fact there’s only one explosion in the entire movie.

Apparently District 9 also deviates from the normal formula too but I haven’t seen it.

Yeah it’s the one by Watts and a phenomenal read. It’s very dense though so you kind of need to be in that sort of “ok I’m shutting everything off for a few hours to read without distractions” headspace to really get into it.

And yeah Arrival is a great movie.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

you can read Watts' Blindsight for free here:

https://rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

In Animorphs Ax finds it weird that humans only have two legs. So I guess aliens pretty universally have at least 3 legs.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

you can read Watts' Blindsight for free here:

https://rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

this is supremely good science fiction and I'm always glad to stumble across this, thank you

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The only thing I remember from Blindsite were the vampires, which were maybe the lamest, dumbest wank I've ever read.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Peter watts is weird, but also, he owns.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

i tried reading blindsight but i remember it having a cynical tone to everything that came off as affected to me. there are a lot of sci-fi books by men that have this kind of tone and it destroys my confidence that something is worth reading, so i never finish books like that. never even got to the aliens.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It turns out the most accurate sci-fi movie w/r/t aliens is Mac & Me, with over 97% accuracy. The aliens look like Ronald McDonald.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

If not a robutt and they are corporeal they are probably some sort of land critter and probably from someplace low gravity or similar gravity to Earth if they actually bothered to come. After that who knows. :shrug:
Maybe it would be wild and be like a walking fungus or whatever.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lawman 0 posted:

If not a robutt and they are corporeal they are probably some sort of land critter and probably from someplace low gravity or similar gravity to Earth if they actually bothered to come. After that who knows. :shrug:
Maybe it would be wild and be like a walking fungus or whatever.

Lol people breakdancing around a big daddy longlegs, not letting it captivate them, it is giant but it only weighs a pound. :slick:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I think the children of time book has super intelligent spiders.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I've seen em.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Basically you got two options, they either look like they are dead and gay, or just like Simpsons (r) characters. That's how it would go too.

naem
May 29, 2011

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

buglord posted:

There’s several books with this title, I’m assuming it’s the one by Watts. I’ll put it on hold at my library.

Has anyone else seen Arrival? If you’re into linguistic anthropology it would probably be down your alley. It was a pretty refreshing take on first contact that doesnt fall into the war of annihilation trope. In fact there’s only one explosion in the entire movie.

Apparently District 9 also deviates from the normal formula too but I haven’t seen it.

I liked arrival except for the end where the screen starts flashing the text: BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lawman 0 posted:

Oh this one wasn’t very intelligent, it just looks at people and pokes at them, and that’s about it. But some people are always like “wow what’s that thing” and they make up all sorts of dumb poo poo about it, endless pointless stories and allegories that make no sense. All it does is look and poke. Frail as a hot air balloon. :shrug:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

Using ant colonies as computing equipment.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Those were technically Earth species though, just heavily gene-hosed.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

goatface posted:

Using ant colonies as computing equipment.

drat I need to read that book then.

naem
May 29, 2011

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They never did seem to settle on a common forehead ridge pattern. I wonder if that would be their race divide, v against ^.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I love books that explore weird alien races. One of my favorite recently was Species Imperative, which had a race that kept growing new brains and thus personality, sharing control of the same body. every brain center got a new pair of pupils/irises and so you'd have an alien with like 6 eyes in 2 eyesockets and they could be a doctor and an engineer and a politician all sharing a body.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
A black puddle that kills robosexuals

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I love books that explore weird alien races. One of my favorite recently was Species Imperative, which had a race that kept growing new brains and thus personality, sharing control of the same body. every brain center got a new pair of pupils/irises and so you'd have an alien with like 6 eyes in 2 eyesockets and they could be a doctor and an engineer and a politician all sharing a body.

Sounds awesome

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is that an indirect Tasha Yar reference?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Yes and no

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Devils Affricate posted:

Chances are they're out there, but chances are also we'll never contact them, so maybe it doesn't really matter.

I generally agree with you though, OP. Depicting aliens as humans with different colored skin or weirdly shaped foreheads has always struck me as being incredibly small minded. Most life in the universe is probably completely different from what we define life to be here on earth.

Those makeup effects were already a huge pain in the rear end and they need to express drama in a way that’s easy for the audience to follow. Since we’re probably talking about Star Trek I believe they’ve offered reasons why there are so many humanoid aliens but I don’t really know them. They did similar with the Aliens universe.

The people making this stuff know it’s dumb but they have contend with budgets and audience expectations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
TNG did have a storyline which concluded with them discovering that the galaxy had been seeded by a humanoid shaped progenitor species inserting genetic information to drive development of aliens who could communicate/coexist and, more importantly, gently caress.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Stoic Pixie Dream Girl.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Devils Affricate posted:

I generally agree with you though, OP. Depicting aliens as humans with different colored skin or weirdly shaped foreheads has always struck me as being incredibly small minded. Most life in the universe is probably completely different from what we define life to be here on earth.
Yeah. Even if they were generally fundamentally similar to Earth life, there's no reason to think they'd be humanoid. The human body plan is not the body plan for an intelligent species, specifically, it's just the body plan for a savannah ape. And it barely even works for an intelligent species - giving birth is barely possible and stupidly difficult given our narrow hips and big heads.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

buglord posted:

what do you all think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKPf-pn6QFs

"This film documents an event that has never taken place – man’s first encounter with intelligent life from space and explores a first contact scenario, beginning with the simplest of questions: Why are you here?"

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

So I guess aliens pretty universally have at least 3 legs.

Heh, no wonder the ladies say I'm out of this world. :smuggo:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

zenintrude posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKPf-pn6QFs

"This film documents an event that has never taken place – man’s first encounter with intelligent life from space and explores a first contact scenario, beginning with the simplest of questions: Why are you here?"

I watched all of this just now. Pretty good, although I wish I watched it prior to subscribing to the YouTubers I mentioned in the OP. Would have been a good intro to this genre of speculative science(?).

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Things would get really awkward if we encounter aliens and they really do act like horrible cultural stereotypes from Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

buglord posted:

I watched all of this just now. Pretty good, although I wish I watched it prior to subscribing to the YouTubers I mentioned in the OP. Would have been a good intro to this genre of speculative science(?).
Speak English Doc, we ain't scientists!

So before?