Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Yaldabaoth posted:

Things would get really awkward if we encounter aliens and they really do act like horrible cultural stereotypes from Earth.

Having just come back from an extensive, grueling xenobiology survey of our galaxy on the good ship Stable Diffusion, I think I can put your concerns to rest. Aliens are not like us. Every identified sapient species had evolved entirely independently, with completely unique specific foundational biological underpinnings. They're not humans with just wrinkly poo poo pasted on their foreheads and bam different species. They're like from the ground-up, from the cellular level up, incomprehensibly incompatible and inconsistent with any common reference in our world views, life experiences, politics, cultures.

About the only common traits you could get a double-digit percentage match for between all these specimens would be water and carbon based biology (55%, common), lateral symmetry (35% of surveyed sapient species), upright bipedal posture (33%) and electromagnetic perception in bands vaguely overlapping or adjacent to our visible-light spectrum (24%), bi-gendered sexual reproduction (11%).

I've included specimen photos of the nearest-to-humanoid species we came across. These were the MOST human-like of the entire lot. Captain Kirk wouldn't be able to gently caress or even date a single one of them. One of them had startling mammalian/human-like eyes, brown and expressive. The females even have breast-like mammaries for feeding their young. But they are an extremely monogamous species with beaks for vaginas.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU