Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

All these dumb advanced stats would be more tolerable if they didn't have the gall to display their numbers with double digit precision, which suggest an accuracy and granularity level that does not actually exist. Just break things into basic tiers instead.

I got you fam.

Tua is bad actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oof, Fields...

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Jones almost centred in the Boring quadrant, perfect

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think people are already forgetting that the Bears - 49ers game was in the worst throwing conditions possible. Nobody forgets his weapons are the worst in the league.

But I also watched half that Packers game, so yeah, I guess oof Fields.

Nosre posted:

Jones almost centred in the Boring quadrant, perfect

It's wild how almost every stat and graph have the patriots at dead center. Just a perfectly average team through two weeks. True lunch pail warriors putting in the hard work at the football mines.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kalli posted:

I think people are already forgetting that the Bears - 49ers game was in the worst throwing conditions possible. Nobody forgets his weapons are the worst in the league.

But I also watched half that Packers game, so yeah, I guess oof Fields.
More lol Fields for the lolgod.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Oof, Fields...

drat, I didn't even notice him until you posted this.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Moving over to the week 3 thread

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kalli posted:

every stat and graph have the patriots at dead center. Just a perfectly average team through two weeks. True lunch pail warriors putting in the hard work at the football mines.

Not showing off, not falling behind

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
They don't want to be remembered. They want to be forgotten.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Maybe if Mac tries abstinence he’ll get good at football.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

Lamar was great and DVOA/DYAR/DEEZ continue to mean absolutely nothing to me. Sometimes I click on their articles and it feels like the scene in Beetlejuice where Alec Baldwin's character is trying to read the handbook for the recently deceased.

Even though he was #1 this week this part of the blurb explains my basic problem with DYAR.

quote:

Hey, what's that elephant doing in here? Well, anyway, let's talk about how Jackson only had 11 rushing DYAR when he ran nine times for 114 yards and a touchdown. There's a principle of diminishing returns built into the DYAR/DVOA formula that limits the value of any one play, so Jackson "only" gets 26 DYAR for his 79-yard touchdown run in the third quarter.

It's like the opposite problem from when some baseball manager says a pitcher threw 100 pitches and 99 of them were pretty good when he gives up a couple of runs and then a grand slam. These plays do count for more by the rules of the game.

Nov 6, 2002

I think literally fantasy points are a better system for player evaluation.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bucs signed Cole Beasley.

Making it so easy to hate them

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Some of the stat stuff is interesting within context, like, Average Depth of Target. Top 3 are probably no brainers, Lamar, Jameis, and Fields all 10.5-12y. Bottom 4 are Geno, Kirk Cousins, AARon, and Justin Herbert (?!?), from 5.2-6.5y.

This is mostly scheme dependent but still interesting.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

kiimo posted:

Bucs signed Cole Beasley.

Making it so easy to hate them

Still a net decrease in roster unlikability compared to last year considering Antonio Brown was here.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I think literally fantasy points are a better system for player evaluation.

Waddle had 11 receptions for 171 yards and 2 TDs but this is their top 5

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That seems reasonable to me considering there's 8 missed targets in there for Waddle.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Still a net decrease in roster unlikability compared to last year considering Antonio Brown was here.

I'll take Antonio Clown on a roster 100 times out of 100 over Cole Beasley

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

kiimo posted:

I'll take Antonio Clown on a roster 100 times out of 100 over Cole Beasley

That’s... a choice.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

gently caress Cole Beasley but I will say that raping someone is worse than being anti-vax.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

fsif posted:

gently caress Cole Beasley but I will say that raping someone is worse than being anti-vax.

Now that's fair and I forgot about that aspect of AB

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Ehud posted:

I really want Christian Kirk to have a monster year out of nowhere after being handed a billion dollars for no reason

Nov 6, 2002

I really want TLaw to be good, but what I continue to see of him... woof. How could a guy who's supposed to be so pro-ready throw so inaccurately?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

sure wish my team would stop signing poo poo receivers!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

it is week three, my dudes.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Posting to say that Kirk Cousins is an incredibly bad quarterback.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Once again:

PFF - subjective analysis done by a crew of people, the grades are subjective.

DVOA - weighted formula that values some statistics over another which is again, subjective.

The less you all stop trying to let these stupid stat narratives rule how you view players the more you'll enjoy the game. It's all getting replaced by gamecast eventually anyway.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Doltos posted:

Once again:

PFF - subjective analysis done by a crew of people, the grades are subjective.

DVOA - weighted formula that values some statistics over another which is again, subjective.

The less you all stop trying to let these stupid stat narratives rule how you view players the more you'll enjoy the game. It's all getting replaced by gamecast eventually anyway.

I can only speak for myself, but to me the vibe is more "lol look how dumb these stats are"

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

I can only speak for myself, but to me the vibe is more "lol look how dumb these stats are"

Ehud you and your perception of these players are clearly being controlled, even if it’s subconsciously.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

I really want TLaw to be good, but what I continue to see of him... woof. How could a guy who's supposed to be so pro-ready throw so inaccurately?

He completed 83% of his passes last week

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ehud posted:

Yea that clickbait sure is potent

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Crimson Ghost power rankings were the only truly scientific rankings in existence.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Advanced stats are good when they say good things about teams and players I like

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

a neat cape posted:

Advanced stats are good when they say good things about teams and players I like
I was gonna say "hell, same" but then I realized the Jaguars are never good so no I still dont like advanced stats.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

a neat cape posted:

Same.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

The trick to getting engagement as an advanced stats guy is to make up and post at least one good and one bad stat for every QB so people can just cherry pick which numbers and charts give them warm fuzzy feelings.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Amy Pole Her posted:

I completely forgot about the “you don’t need to see a movie/read a book to critique it” argument

Forgot about what now

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

DeimosRising posted:

Forgot about what now

Former chat thread poster had an odd stance on multiple things solely for the sake of talking. That’s all that really needs to be said I think

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Ehud posted:

Waddle had two huge drops that made stomp my feet and throw a tantrum. one of them was almost intercepted and would have basically ended the game. otherwise i love him and want to marry him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He does that once every while. His scouting report mentioned he was forcing a catch or looking up field too quickly.

I’ll take the good with the bad. We’ve got two top 10 receivers