Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Rationale posted:

I also don’t want to franchise I want well-paid workers in my community.

Epitope posted:

Benefits, haha

I feel like this is where we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I for-real love the vibe in here I’m posting about this til it’s over.

I wasn’t real smart before I got brain damaged so rather than residualizing the line of credit from the paper cup people I’ll guess that overhead before labor is like $150 a day? Wild-rear end guess for real but that’s insurance, utilities , licenses, perishable stock, water treatment, presents for my nose, et cetera.

Then actually doing business costs money too like maybe there’s $3 of ingredients and $1 of paper goods in a dozen donuts and if some rear end in a top hat forgets the salt or doubles the salt or pisses in the salt you never see a return. I think my restaurant friends drop the ball here because they think a $9 hand should really give a poo poo about their business. They’re constantly griping about these low-wage teenaged workers as if it’s really their fault that whatever task was forgotten or bungled and in the next breath toasting themselves for another banner year.

A big part of my model is about employee buy-in. If everyone’s pay is yoked to the till they’ll be more interested in getting transactions wrapped up quickly and correctly. The whole team will be interested in getting new hires up to speed. The whole team will be interested in the continued success of the enterprise.

So for service on opening day I’ll want four people

One takes orders and money
One makes drinks
One puts orders together and out the window
One runs around for change or coffee or receipt paper or another rack of donuts

After 1pm or so two of them can go home but it’ll also need a good deep clean/restock every night so I’ll just figure 32 hours at $20 for a $640 bill. Then there’s still gonna be a bit of waste and theft so let’s say the first $1000 each day just primes the pump.

That’s about 145 dozen donuts or 600 coffees or I don’t even know what my prices are going to be yet so it’s kind of moot

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Four people and none of them are making donuts? That's 2-3 too many lmao

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Rationale posted:

This is a non-starter for me. I want to make good coffee and amazing donuts. I want people to be like “drat, these are some really nice donuts” I don’t want to leave my first impression up to some other rear end in a top hat.

1) You need an accountant and a more detailed business plan. Being able to handwave a ballpark is good, but you're talking about a business with a fair number of moving parts. If you're going to put any more money into this you should know how much you're going to stand to lose.

2) I don't know that the lack of a Dunkin or Starbucks is the kiss of death that others are making it out to be. Lots of times Dunkin/Starbucks or CVS/Walgreens or Sleepys/Mattress King select locations due to an algorithm and consequently end up with locations right next to each other and none anywhere else until a competitor pops up and opens a new area in the optimization space.

What this means though is... What are you going to do if that happens and a Starbucks opens up across the street?

3) Regarding the quoted bit: again you're going to be playing with a substantial amount of money. Especially if a lot of your business is going to be coming from rush hour you probably shouldn't be too precious about this "making your own donuts" bit. Coffee is what people will want/need in the morning.

Not saying you shouldn't, but if it's proving to be a drag on your opening plan, it's ok to open even with just coffee and to promise amazing donuts later. Or to bring in someone else's donuts and to say "coming soon! Fresh baked in house donuts!"

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rationale posted:

I for-real love the vibe in here I’m posting about this til it’s over.

gently caress yeah.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
for real my man you should like go camp out in dunks during morning rush and see how they run poo poo

also like when people suggest a business plan, it's because all of those overhead numbers are knowable and estimate-able rather than just saying idk 150 bones

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Rationale posted:

I want to make good coffee and amazing donuts.

Have you, at home, produced donuts that people have considered amazing? Is donut frying a passion of yours? Do your friends eat your donuts and say "you should open a donut shop?"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That's the part that drives me nuts. I would understand deciding to open a shop based on cold business calculations, and I would understand wanting to own a shop because you just love making donuts and pastries so much and have dialed them in so perfectly and want to share them with people. Having neither but just running on "idk why not" is just baffling to me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

That's the part that drives me nuts. I would understand deciding to open a shop based on cold business calculations, and I would understand wanting to own a shop because you just love making donuts and pastries so much and have dialed them in so perfectly and want to share them with people. Having neither but just running on "idk why not" is just baffling to me.

Yolo. The answer, is yolo.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

for real my man you should like go camp out in dunks during morning rush and see how they run poo poo

This is a good suggestion. You can also see how long a transaction takes, get an idea for peak times, and get a sense for what sells the most. Hell if you really wanted to do your research you could pick up a part time job at a donut shop and quit after a week or two

quote:

also like when people suggest a business plan, it's because all of those overhead numbers are knowable and estimate-able rather than just saying idk 150 bones

I think OP can get a decent estimate for basically everything that’s been listed out for a business plan by searching online and maybe talking to a few sales people.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
My plan is to do lots of business lol

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Got a $1200 blender for making quiet drinks

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Rationale posted:

He paid $475 to have his hood cleaned and I’ve spiffed up five pieces of equipment for free so I’m $2375 ahead of that clown. Maybe I’m not a kitchen guy but I’m not a fuckin spreadsheet guy either. I’m also planning to do most of the cooking myself to save labor. Most of my ingredients will be shelf-stable so compressor disasters aren’t a thing.

He got in because he loved food I’m getting in because I see a gap in the market.

Plus your business plan does not involve alcohol or have the end goal of consuming alcohol away from your wife & kids. And there’s a chance your start up capital is enough to get things up & running without going to a mother in law or just not paying taxes.

Past that it’s like others said would be ideal if you could work at an established bakery/coffee place for a while to get used to the ultra early mornings and the many little things to learn about food safety & sanitation.

Not sure of your area but hiring good employees especially in food service is a historically tight market at the moment and quality staff are probably already working elsewhere so you may have to pay way above market or get used to a lot of no show/no calls.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Do not open a donut shop.

e: And shame on you all for even remotely encouraging this.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rationale posted:

My plan is to do lots of business lol

See, right to the point. Bing bong so simple.

You could probably franchise within a year at this rate.

Boba Pearl posted:

On a real note, I put in my post saying this was a bad idea without any type of business plan and it’s fairly obvious.

OP is clearly determined to move ahead regardless (unless it’s a well done troll), and isn’t going to listen to actual input , so gently caress it.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 17, 2022

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Boba Pearl posted:

What the heck dude

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
There are no kind of restaraunts that are guaranteed to make money, most fail in 5 years, the doughnut shops you see that are successful are either the products of huge conglomerations, or existed for 20+ years, with established clientelle. Unless you have a cool fad you know will work, you're not even going to have a chance. You will take the small fortune that you have and squander it almost immediately.

You want to be a good leftist or w/e and do it ethically, then that also means supporting the labor of people whose entire life is dedicated to knowing how to do this properly. There are pro-union accountants and treasurers and business owners who can tell you how to ethically run a business. And running a new business into the ground with a bunch of hopefuls is not only a huge waste of resources, but going to be crushing to the people you sold this idea too and hired.

If you're not willing to build a business plan, learn how to run a business, or even go look at how a proper business is run, you're not equipping yourself to do this well. You will fail, and it's not because of nay sayers, it'll be because you got super excited about an idea, and didn't want to do the proper research to learn how to do it right.

Running a proper business has nothing to do with good vibes, or stick to it'veness, or whatever else you're thinking of. It requires accounting.

Think about this, even pirates had a codices of how to properly run their business, and the quartermaster, the accountant who decided how much food is needed, how much each specific part costs, and how to properly fund the expeditions and plan them, got the largest share.

If midcentury pirates needed a business advisor why don't you?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Donut shops are excellent for money laundering, tho

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

See, now this is the type of ideas we need here.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But is that technically making money in donuts and coffee, as posited by the original question?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

just make a donut first OP

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i'm a pastry chef managing production of a donut shop and i'm confident you're taking this lightly.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

I got the tude now posted:

i'm a pastry chef managing production of a donut shop and i'm confident you're taking this lightly.
Looks like you got your first hire right here!

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

I got the tude now posted:

So what’s up am I missing anything does 4500/month sound low

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i'm drinking rn i'll look over this more tomorrow. my store likely sells a more 'high end' product than you're planning to (which took months of development) but our locations are similar enough and there aren't many competing shops to us but it's very difficult and we already have five full time and six part time employees and we're not even operating our full hours yet.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
I've worked in two different donut places and did some schooling on food costs and such, and OP, you have absolutely not thought this through and you're setting yourself up for failure. At the very least, get a job somewhere making food on a large scale. You might be able to get a job at a grocery store bakery that makes donuts, for example. You need to know the work and what's required, like the equipment and the process

Are you going to make yeast-raised donuts? You don't fill cake donuts, you know, Boston cream and such are made with yeast dough. Gonna need a proofer. Large racks to hold the screens of the donuts. The screens for the fryer, a hopper for the fryer, a glazing table. It's filthy work, you get grease everywhere and glaze stuck to your clothes. You have to work overnight to be ready in the morning, are you ready to work the overnight shift?

$75K is not enough to start even a small donut shop. Two or three pieces of equipment break, and that money could be eaten up by replacements/repairs, plus restaurant equipment is expensive, even second-hand stuff. You're not going to be able to get everything on sale, either. Have you at least perused a couple equipment websites to get an idea of what you need and what it'll cost? What size mixer are you going to use? You can't use a tabletop stand mixer, you're making 15 lbs of mix, minimum, before adding water

Do you love baking? Can you bake the same thing, night after night, seven days a week? This is one of the most important things you need to consider. I love baking, and working overnight was fine for me because I've got a circadian rhythm disorder. Making donuts is a mind-numbing job, despite switching off donut-duty once or twice a week and working with other people

For the love of God, take some classes on restaurant math and costs, you can probably enroll through community college, and get a job making donuts before you open a business making donuts

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You don't understand, the guy has machines. You pour in a bag of this and that, and donuts come out the other end

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I've worked at a Dunkin for most of a decade, and I advise you in the strongest possible terms not to do this. Being the baker destroys your ability to have a normal personal life because of how early your day needs to start. Does your wife work normal hours? How about your friends? You'll be going to bed when they get home. Heaven help you if there are kids in the picture. Retail / food service management is also notorious for consuming your personal life. If there's a problem at the location, the ultimate responsibility is on you to resolve it. Sometimes it means staying late to solve a problem that nobody else is equipped to deal with. Sometimes it means getting constant phone calls when you're trying to go to bed because a question came up that only you can answer. Sometimes it just means working a 14 hour shift because someone called out and your couldn't get anyone else to come in. Attempting to combine both of these responsibilities is going to mean that your donut shop, even if it's a financial success, will absolutely dominate your existence and cost you things that money can't buy.

Sometimes times are tough and people do what they have to do, but you are not in that position. You were already financially stable and received a huge windfall out of the blue. Use it to make your life easier.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

the load bearing wall is already down people, it’s too late to stop this train

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
https://slate.com/human-interest/2005/12/my-coffeehouse-nightmare.html

quote:

The dream of running a small cafe has nothing to do with the excitement of entrepreneurship or the joys of being one's own boss—none of us would ever consider opening a Laundromat or a stationery store, and even the most delusional can see that an independent bookshop is a bad idea these days. The small cafe connects to the fantasy of throwing a perpetual dinner party, and it cuts deeper—all the way to Barbie tea sets—than any other capitalist urge. To a couple in the throes of the cafe dream, money is almost an afterthought. Which is good, because they're going to lose a lot of it.

The failure of a small cafe is not a question of competence. It is a sad given. The logistics of a food establishment that seats between 20 and 25 people (which roughly corresponds to the definition of "cozy") are such that the place will stay afloat—barely—as long as its owners spend all of their time on the job. There is a golden rule, long cherished by restaurateurs, for determining whether a business is viable. Rent should take up no more than 25 percent of your revenue, another 25 percent should go toward payroll, and 35 percent should go toward the product. The remaining 15 percent is what you take home. There's an even more elegant version of that rule: Make your rent in four days to be profitable, a week to break even. If you haven't hit the latter mark in a month, close.

A place that seats 25 will have to employ at least two people for every shift: someone to work the front and someone for the kitchen (assuming you find a guy who will both uncomplainingly wash dishes and reliably whip up pretty crepes; if you've found that guy, you're already in better shape than most NYC restaurateurs. You're also, most likely, already in trouble with immigration services). Budgeting $15 for the payroll for every hour your charming cafe is open (let's say 10 hours a day) relieves you of $4,500 a month. That gives you another $4,500 a month for rent and $6,300 to stock up on product. It also means that to come up with the total needed $18K of revenue per month, you will need to sell that product at an average of a 300 percent markup.

Pastries, for instance, are a monetary black hole unless you bake them yourself. We started out by engaging a pedigreed gentleman baker with Le Bernardin on his résumé. Hercule, as I'll call him, embodied every French stereotype in existence: He was jovial, enthusiastic, rude, snooty, manic-depressive, brilliant, and utterly unreliable. His croissants were buttery, flaky, not too big, and $1.25 wholesale. We sold them for $2 and threw away roughly 50 percent—in other words, we were making a negative quarter on each croissant. After a couple of months of this, we downgraded to a more Americanized version of the croissant (vast and pillowy). The new croissants ran 90 cents each and made us feel vaguely dirty. We sold them for the same $2. Ironically, their elephantine size meant that every time someone ordered a croissant with cheese, we had to load it up with twice as much Gruyère.

Coffee was a different story—thanks to the trail blazed by Starbucks, the world of coffee retail is now a rogue's playground of jaw-dropping markups. An espresso that required about 18 cents worth of beans (and we used very good beans) was sold for $2.50 with nary an eyebrow raised on either side of the counter. A dab of milk froth or a splash of hot water transformed the drink into a macchiato or an Americano, respectively, and raised the price to $3. The house brew too cold to be sold for $1 a cup was chilled further and reborn at $2.50 a cup as iced coffee, a drink whose appeal I do not even pretend to grasp.

But how much of it could we sell? Discarding food as a self-canceling expense at best, the coffee needed to account for all of our profit. We needed to sell roughly $500 of it a day. This kind of money is only achievable through solid foot traffic, but, of course, our cafe was too cozy and charming to pop in for a cup to go. The average coffee-to-stay customer nursed his mocha (i.e., his $5 ticket) for upward of 30 minutes. Don't get me started on people with laptops.

There was, of course, one way to make the cafe viable: It was written into the Golden Rule itself. My wife Lily and I could work there, full-time, save on the payroll, and gerrymander the rest of the budget to allow for lower sales. Guess what, dear dreamers? The psychological gap between working in a cafe because it's fun and romantic and doing the exact same thing because you have to is enormous. Within weeks, Lily and I—previously ensconced in an enviably stress-free marriage—were at each other's throats. I hesitate to say which was worse: working the same shift or alternating. Each option presented its own small tortures. Two highly educated professionals with artistic aspirations have just put themselves—or, as we saw it, each other—on $8-per-hour jobs slinging coffee. After four more months, we grew suspicious of each other's motives, obsessively kept track of each other's contributions to the cause ("You worked three days last week!"), and generally waltzed on the edge of divorce. The marriage appears to have been saved by a well-timed bankruptcy.

Looking back, we (incredibly) should have heeded the advice of bad-boy chef Anthony Bourdain, who wrote our epitaph in Kitchen Confidential: "The most dangerous species of owner ... is the one who gets into the business for love."

All of this presumes simply paying the normal minimum wage, not whatever weird social program you are envisioning.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

pentyne posted:

All of this presumes simply paying the normal minimum wage, not whatever weird social program you are envisioning.

And before you wave this away with, well they got too fancy, OP: you're going to be in the same exact boat with a simpler product

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Ah, shut up! gently caress you! You loving dick! Always naysaying! Everything I create! You piece of poo poo!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

If you want to treat people well you should consider the toll your failure will have on your family, who are presumably losing resources as you acquire whatever used equipment you stumble across, and your employees, who will likely be leaving stable employment just to have their bills stack up as their hours are slashed while you try to salvage this train wreck.

If you can’t or won’t put an ounce of financial planning into this then you should either pay someone else to do it or you should partner with someone who will, otherwise you’re going to cause way more harm than your profit sharing plan could ever make up for.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

moana posted:

Ah, shut up! gently caress you! You loving dick! Always naysaying! Everything I create! You piece of poo poo!

It was the biggest innovation since yodeling. :smith:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

pentyne posted:

I enjoyed reading this. OP should reach out to the author: I'm sure either way it'll be an enjoyable article.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
OP's one and only takeaway from that article will be "well I don't have to pay rent so it'll be easy"

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
There used to be a lot of advice about this sort of thing in the GWS restaurant industry thread (or was it the chat thread? It's been a long time) so someone from there is probably better for this.

But there used to be a bit of slightly facetious advice around there that if you are thinking about opening a restaurant, you should consider cashing out all your checking, savings, etc accounts, putting all that money in a briefcase taking a good hard look at it and throwing it into the nearest river. The idea is that often that is a safer bet than opening a restaurant because at least you won't go into debt, and your house, the money of people in your family, etc won't be exposed to the debt you may need to take on.

That's not to say that no one should open restaurants (or indeed donut shops) on their own, but you generally need a rock solid business plan because there can be lots of costs that can spiral out of control when making food and employing lots of people. Or alternatively trying to take it all on yourself and flubbing on important stuff like keeping everything clean enough to pass health inspections.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I thought you said you were going to be a one man show at first. Hiring four staff before the first dollar comes in, huh. I think you're playing for too high of stakes for 75k. It's gonna be gone before you have a chance to learn, and seems you're planning to learn on the fly. Also, have you thought through the business entity, LLC bit? If you don't get your personal finances separate from the business's, you may find you inadvertantly gave your credit cards to the casino

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Talk to a single restaurant owner, and they will tell you they don't own the restaurant, the restaurant owns you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dunno if you noticed OP but there's signs of an incoming recession. Sell the building and be financially sound for a couple years instead of wondering what happened to all your money when the bank comes to take your home.