Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Is 36 seconds per order a estimate based on anything? Never have I ever received a Dunkin Donuts order within 36 seconds, or three people at three registers in <2 minutes.

High school kids are going to want fancy fraps and other starbucks drinks, and not plain regular coffee. That takes more specialized equipment and significant time to prep on demand.

Rationale posted:

As far as cash flow, I figure we’re either selling or we’re not. If the store doesn’t turn $25 of flour into $200 of donuts we won’t need another $25 in flour.
I think the problem is more when you turn $25 of flour into $100 of donuts and the other half of the donuts are old and had to be donated. Are you going to buy another $25 of flour or are you just going to close the store the next day? What if that $100 of sales is a big improvement over last week and you're sure you're going up uP UP? How long can you keep that afloat?

I totally appreciate wanting to pay your employees well. Have you done a business plan and figured out the margins and how much you can devote to pay? Have you started to write down all the poo poo you don't think about? (Drive-through speaker system, insurance, inspections, signs, branding, advertising, paying off yelp, etc.)

Also, not to be a jerk but have you ever made a donut? (A dozen donuts? Six flavors of donuts?) I totally get the "there are so many and they're beautiful and I want to look at a row of them" but idk if that's the best basis for starting a business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Rationale posted:

36 seconds is just an ideal. The automated espresso machines from dunkin might not be able to spit the drink out in 30 seconds but I’m sure kids will love the product. Crazy orders with 11 pumps of 9 different syrups will be a pain in the dick but the idea here is that most of the coffee and all of the food is ready when they pull up.
Stuff like lattes and macchiatos need a milk steamer/frother that might be built into your espresso machine.

Dunkin coolattas require a couple machines like icee machines and then a mixer like a blizzard. These are expensive machines and it takes time to make a drink to order.

Starbucks fraps require industrial heavy-duty blenders and special sound-blocking covers. They are also expensive and it takes even more time to make a drink to order.

Pumping syrup isn't going to be the holdup -- you would be doing that for regular or iced coffee, too -- it's waiting for the machines to process. How does your math look if it takes 2-3 minutes per order in the drivethrough?

What about writing up a business plan, and whether you've ever made a donut?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The time to make a business plan is before you start buying used drive-through windows

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

- Get a table at a farmer's market and sell donuts & a limited coffee menu
- See if a local grocery store will stock your donuts on the shelves (this is surprisingly easy to do)
- Look at calendars of community events in your town, contact churches, AA meetings etc and ask if you can provide them their goods for a bit
- Just fuckin' make a whole bunch of donuts and coffees for your friends and family and give them away for free for a while and see what's good
He doesn't even make donuts now. He needs the magic automated $$$$ donut machine that only fits in a store and uses the magic mixes.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Donuts are fried, not baked, at least if you want people to enjoy them

and of course he has!!

Rationale posted:

I fried some pillsbury crescent dough in my Dutch oven last night and it came out loving delicious so there.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That's the part that drives me nuts. I would understand deciding to open a shop based on cold business calculations, and I would understand wanting to own a shop because you just love making donuts and pastries so much and have dialed them in so perfectly and want to share them with people. Having neither but just running on "idk why not" is just baffling to me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You don't understand, the guy has machines. You pour in a bag of this and that, and donuts come out the other end

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
OP's one and only takeaway from that article will be "well I don't have to pay rent so it'll be easy"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

OP you should sell these bad boys call them froughnuts or get out donuts or something

Frosting piled high

You don't think frog nuts is catchy enough?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I do legit like baking. I would do a super small shop of high-end desserts open maybe about 4 pm to midnight or later. It would have to be a high-traffic area like the Village; the goal is you have a fancy dinner date, then walk around together, then come to my place to get dessert. Or you go clubbing/bar-hopping and then buy something decadent from me before the subway home. High-volume stuff isn't nearly as fun, so my goal would be smaller batches, seasonal, changing more often. It would take a shitload of money (see: location) and probably fail unless it got a ton of buzz. It might be pretty fun, though.

Otoh I make more money from my day job so I wouldn't actually do that, even in the beforetimes, even if a fairy godmother gave me startup money.

Awhile back I was thinking about offering myself as an outside pastry chef to a local restaurant that had an amazing menu but minimal/crappy desserts. I could have come in on Sunday and churned out enough for the week so that they would just have to reheat or plate before serving. It would have been risk-free on my end, and I'd have made nonzero money if I had talked them into some kind of commission on desserts, since they were selling none before. It would have been interesting, but I decided against asking because I hate getting up early and didn't want to give up my weekends.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Idk what state you're in, but have you figured out what kind of food handling certifications you need to get?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Holy Donuts has good flavors, but the texture is really hit or miss, and often misses. Next time you're in Portland, check out Hifi Donuts

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I totally get if you buy enough machines, your supply capacity is high. The worrying part is the demand. You want to have 10 people preorder 2 dozen each (or 30 people preorder 2 dozen each?), every single day. There may be businesses that want a few dozen for big meetings or on Fridays, but on like a random Tuesday I'm not so sure.

I'm also not sure how the timing works out. You just described a 10-hour shift to get the preorders delivered, but if businesses want preorders, they'll want them in the morning, right? So those 10 hours are going to be overnight and then you're going to work a full day? And you'll be delivering them right when people come to your store before work? I don't think that's a one-person show.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you think opening a donut shop is going to give you more time to spend with little kids, idk man you might want to talk to people who have done anything similar. I don't think it works that way unless you force the kids to be/work in the shop 24/7 like cheap mom-and-pop takeout places do. What kids need is quality time more than existing in your presence. One hour of actually hanging out focusing on them is better than four hours of them doing homework alone at a table while you're working in the back.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Rationale posted:

I’m working 7pm to 7am 7 days lately. The shop is a mile from home. If I could dip out to have lunch with my kids I’d be seeing them much much more than i have been.
I totally get that, but I don't get how that's going to happen. A couple pages ago you were talking about how your goal was daily standing orders that would have you working 10 hours from 9pm to 7am to get them made and delivered. Now at 7am you have to go man the drivethrough plus the register plus the fryer plus the fancy espresso machines for the morning rush, followed by lunch business, followed by after-school business. You don't want to miss out on any of that.

I get that the goal is to hire more people eventually, but until you're making enough to hire someone else in the ethical way you want (which is awesome but it's very hard), you're working 9pm to 4pm if you get steady business like you want. Actually after 4 you'll have to clean and get it reset for the next day, so we'll say 5. After that you can focus on fixing or getting machines.

After a couple days of that schedule, it wouldn't even be safe to drive, let alone feeling okay to close your shop and head home for a fun quality lunchtime with the kids.

It would honestly just be easier to do your current job and have family dinner together before you leave, plus when you get home, stay up to see them off to school. Not that I'm saying that's easy, but it's easier than opening a donut shop and running it singlehandedly and also spending quality time with your kids.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 2, 2022

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don't know what state you're in, but you probably have to be a certified food handler, have an appropriate kitchen, and get a business license first

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I think another major issue is that if you give out a bunch of donuts now, people will expect the donuts at your shop to be the same. It sounds like they'll be totally different since you'll switch from backyard "idk I guess this works" to commercial mixes and machines, but a lot of people will already have made up their minds

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
He has a $75k budget it's no problem

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Self-rising flour isn't making your donuts worse or better, it's just unnecessarily expensive. If you want to be concerned with your flour, start thinking about protein %. The main problem with those donuts is that plain cake donuts just intrinsically suck

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
With no flavor and no glaze or toppings?? congrats you're eating bread

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Quickbread obviously

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Rationale posted:

Im sorry I should have specified those unit costs are after the whole everything including a $20 baker or barista. Of course, labor costs involve letter math but if we’re all kickin rear end in there it’s gonna be .6-.75 for a doughnut and 1-1.25 for a latte.

I figure the first thousand dollars in sales each day will feed the beast and after that I’m making my margins. This derived from a $640 daily labor bill and the utility bills I find for similar enterprises. I don’t plan on hiring six people for opening day, though, so my overhead won’t outrun my business.
It's cool and good you want to pay your workers $20/hr, but you know it's not like $20/hr and that's the end, right? Like, besides the $20, you're also on the hook for FICA and unemployment, plus you probably want to give them sick days, training, certification, workers' comp, insurance, etc. The only way $20/hr = $20/hr is under the table, which is A, illegal, and B, not in line with your goal of treating employees ethically

https://www.sba.gov/blog/how-much-does-employee-cost-you

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Since you're targeting high schoolers, is that deliberate?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Congratulations!

Iirc this is young kid #3 and your wife is the only reliable paycheck coming in? Ymmv obviously, but to me it seems like this would be a good time to get more risk-averse, and also a good time to spend more time with your family / caring for your kids. I mean, I love donuts and restaurant supplies, but it seems like a good time to minimize betting

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

If you plan to open at 5 am (why?) you will need to be there a lot earlier than 4:30 to make all the donuts, right?
You have to open at 5 if you want to capture people who head to work early or get a coffee on a jog, stuff like that. When I was a barista we did a surprising proportion of business at 5-8 am. Lots of construction workers.

That said, you also can't close at 1, because you want to get high school lunch traffic and that will definitely go later than 1. In fact, if you want to be profitable, ideally you would be open until after they leave (about 3:30 or 4?) to catch everyone who wants an after-school snack. Then after you lock the doors you need to clean and prep for tomorrow and set dough to rise, so probably leave about like 6

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Do it the cool kid way with gelatin

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Baddog posted:

Grass is always greener/more interesting.

The margin on an individual donut is loving insane, the problem is that most places just end up trash canning most of their product, isn't it?

Gotta figure out how to sell those half day old and day old donuts somewhere. Price discrimination. Get a contract with someplace to take most of your remaining product at 2pm for 60% off or something.
Congratulations on independently inventing Too Good to Go
https://time.com/collection/time100-companies-2022/6159510/too-good-to-go/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
you can differentiate the cake donuts from the yeast donuts by…listing them separately

Doughnut Plant is an example

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
This guy has a demo and he also happens to have some advice before and afterward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU-2zIzqvBA

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I’m not sure you’re going to find 3 people in nowhere Ohio to work from 6 to 10am every day. People usually want hours. People also don’t want to clopen so that will limit flexibility within the week.

Are high school kids not allowed to go off-campus for lunch?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It turns out if you go up to randos, most of them won’t say “gently caress off I’m not going” or even “maybe sometimes unless it sucks”

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don’t think he really needs encouragement to buy more toys

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Donuts are not something you have to figure out from first principles. Any adult who can read and follow directions should be able to turn out acceptable donuts. He’s literally using boxed cake mix.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Not sure nursing homes are known for letting their olds drive around wherever and eat junk food constantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
He practiced every day, you say? He didn’t buy thousands of dollars of calf-carrying equipment, brag daily, and practice quarterly?